ADVERTISEMENT

Strength

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Ok we are all used to seeing cal teams and they always hit the weights hard and when we get to madness most of his guys not all but most are ripped. And freshmen they are usually well defined. These guys last night I thought well they didn’t look like they had that definition. Idk if that will transfer to a weak team but I have some concerns about this team being able to compete against the physical sec. Am I overlooking something here?

Ok we are all used to seeing cal teams and they always hit the weights hard and when we get to madness most of his guys not all but most are ripped. And freshmen they are usually well defined. These guys last night I thought well they didn’t look like they had that definition. Idk if that will transfer to a weak team but I have some concerns about this team being able to compete against the physical sec. Am I overlooking something here?
18 year olds hitting weights look different than 22+ year olds hitting weights, but fwiw, I noticed the exact opposite. I thought our guys looked strong.

Looking strong isn't being strong, though. Our bigs last year would get knocked over by a sneeze. Bradshaw had a ton of definition because he was tiny. I want to see someone try bullying Williams. Maybe they can, but I don't see it happening regularly.

Amari Williams
Butler
Oweh…

They look and are extremely strong guys

Carr
Krissa
Brea

They are not as athletic/stong…but their games are different

Jaxon Robinson js somwhere between these body types…

I have little issue with Noah, Perry and ,Chandler as they are freshman and likely to be here 3-4 years

I hear you on body of some of Cal guys….but they never stayed long enough to really show it for Ky…. Like did I ever see Dilly, Reed,DJ, ivisic , Bradshaw etc play strong….heck to the no

What? Cal’s teams of spaghetti-armed freshmen got bullied in tournament play in recent years.

I think op is confused over the muscle definition, which was visible because they were so thin. Of course there were a few exceptions, but by and large our freshman were really without any added muscle. Thats why we were constantly physically bullied.

This group is the opposite. Theyre mature and years of weights added the bulk needed for the conference and season grind. These guys wont be getting pushed around.

Its more balance than overall strength, if we are gonna be fast, you can't always load up on the weights....Post players can load up, but the guards and forwards might want to work more on endurance. I think we have a good showing yesterday, as our strength and conditioning coach is from an NBA team. He has that experience, we gotta feel good about things as of right now.

Really don't understand what your talking about, Cal's freshmen weren't well defined the last few years. There's a difference in being defined and being in excellent shape. Watching what little film of practiceS available and Pope making them run extra if they don't touch the line during running drills. Saying the difference in the extra foot is the difference in not making a final four. This team will be in excellent shape and with the depth they have will wear teams out and excell in the last 5 minutes, IMO.

Almonor is a pretty big dude. I'm not sure how many minutes he'll play, but if he can defend and rebound at a decent level against SEC competition it'll be a nice boost. He lingered around the 3-point line at FDU and his rebounding percentages weren't great. Neither was his defensive metrics (although he played out of position at center at FDU). Perhaps better teammates and playing a different position could help him. He can shoot the rock but having a 3/4 off the bench who can come in and get a few boards a game would be ideal.

Reactions: will1976 and chroix
I honestly didn't notice their builds either way. Pope did seem to really like the S&C coach during intros. Since most of them have some years on them, and have done well enough to get a call from Pope, I'm not to worried about it. Cal had plenty of freshman string beans. I didn't see any of those last night.

Reactions: chroix
The only player I can remember posting any kind of workout progress picture from last year was Edwards and that worked out awesome.

It's hard to tell since he was wearing a t-shirt last night, but Noah's lost his baby fat from high school and looks pretty jacked.

UK-Trent-Noah-posing-1200x800.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT