ADVERTISEMENT

Story of Michael Avery

If someone took the time to follow every offer a UK coach has extended they would find a lot cases that would make you question the move. Not that I agree with what Billy did, but he only offered him not signed him. Coaches hand out offers all the time as a place holder to let the kids know that there is a chance and if then kid was for real it would have looked good on Kentucky's end.
Not many coaches offer 8th graders.

Reactions: Fox2monk
BCG coached at 14 different schools and never stayed at any for more than 3 years. Think that's telling its own story right there.

Just to be fair, some of those were HS's and some of those positions were as an assistant. His HC resume leading up to UK wasn't all THAT bad! His first real HC on the college level was at UTEP and then went to Texas A&M.

I recall a LOT of posters on here were excited about the hire and thought that we had hit a homerun or at least a triple. But, looking back now, I think never being anywhere more than 3 years is more of a red flag than it was then.

Yep. It’s easy to say in hindsight because we saw that as a player he turned out to be a non factor, but at the time that would have been a really bad PR move if nothing else.
I watched him several times when he was in HS........I just never saw it in him....he was on a bad team that he didn't make any better........

I was suspicious of BCG's hiring but Barney because he won 1 game. The U6/Atm tourney game. Beyond that game, I never heard of him. Lot of SEC schools hire a smaller schools coach if they beat UK. We don't need that sort of embarassment.

I was suspicious of BCG's hiring but Barney because he won 1 game. The U6/Atm tourney game. Beyond that game, I never heard of him. Lot of SEC schools hire a smaller schools coach if they beat UK. We don't need that sort of embarassment.
What BCG showed was that the job can't make the coach. Not even UK. UK can give a competent manager a leg up, for sure, but even then, success isn't going to just maintain itself.

When Tubby left, I definitely wanted Donovan, but I was hopeful that a younger, ambitious up and comer could at least come in and show how much Tubby was failing to utilize the UK name and resources. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you look at how it led directly to Cal), BCG was the absolute wrong person for the job.

It could have gone a different way, but I'm not sure it would have been better in the long run. UK might have hired someone who was solid but uninspiring (like a younger version of Tubby Smith), and kind of floated up and down for years.

@morgousky yesterday you said to put Matt’s head on Drew’s body... and I did. But it was Drew Franklin instead of Drew Barrymore. That’s what I get for listening to KSR on my way to work.

I’m here to redeem myself though:

QZKk8bv.jpg

If only Bud Mackey would not have gotten busted selling dope and went to prison. If ole Billy Clyde could have landed Mackey, UK would have never been in desperation mode. LOL, looking back on that whole ordeal, what a disaster.

If only Bud Mackey would not have gotten busted selling dope and went to prison. If ole Billy Clyde could have landed Mackey, UK would have never been in desperation mode. LOL, looking back on that whole ordeal, what a disaster.

Isn’t he still in prison

If someone took the time to follow every offer a UK coach has extended they would find a lot cases that would make you question the move. Not that I agree with what Billy did, but he only offered him not signed him. Coaches hand out offers all the time as a place holder to let the kids know that there is a chance and if the kid was for real it would have looked good on Kentucky's end.
Let’s be honest jb, Avery was going to come here and be awful unfortunately. He averaged 4 points a game at some d2 school

Watch your mouth calling someone on here an IU fan son. His contributions are well appreciated here. I said who was still worth a crap in basketball.

I always felt that one win over UofSmell and Pitino on national TV got him the UK job. I just didn't feel he was an up grade over Tubby, and I liked Tubby (bash away) just because of the person he was. After about half the first season of CBCG I though oh hell we have made a huge mistake !

Reactions: d2atTech
I also remember seeing Dakota Euton’s list of schools being Kentucky, Duke and Florida and thinking he was a huge get.[/QUOTE]

I think it was really Duquesne and Florida A&M. :)

There is some revisionist history in this thread. Gillispie was known for more than just beating Louisville in the tournament. First year at Texas Tech, he goes 6-24. Second year, media pick for 9th place, but win total improves +18, wins conference and he's a finalist for national coach of the year. Moves to A&M. They were 7-21 year before, +14 first year, ranked and into NCAA second year, into the top 10 3rd year. As I've gotten older, I watch less college hoops in general and more just UK, but even I was aware of what was going on in Texas. What I vividly recall was the guys on ESPN Radio just going nuts over the hire - this guys is going to be great at UK, they kept saying. Of course, he was terrible here.....

The question forever will be - was Clyde always crazy and no one knew, or did the UK fishbowl drive him nuts?

There is some revisionist history in this thread. Gillispie was known for more than just beating Louisville in the tournament. First year at Texas Tech, he goes 6-24. Second year, media pick for 9th place, but win total improves +18, wins conference and he's a finalist for national coach of the year. Moves to A&M. They were 7-21 year before, +14 first year, ranked and into NCAA second year, into the top 10 3rd year. As I've gotten older, I watch less college hoops in general and more just UK, but even I was aware of what was going on in Texas. What I vividly recall was the guys on ESPN Radio just going nuts over the hire - this guys is going to be great at UK, they kept saying. Of course, he was terrible here.....

The question forever will be - was Clyde always crazy and no one knew, or did the UK fishbowl drive him nuts?
UTEP, not Tech. Tech was dumb enough to hire him after UK.

But yeah, he was a fairly hot name. He'd had success, and an upward trajectory, in 5 years as a head man, and he had been an assistant for Bill Self at Illinois, with a lot of success. If UK didn't hire him, Arkansas was probably going to come in with a big offer.

OTOH, if you look closer at his success, you can see holes. His UTEP record and early rise at A&M were built in large part by playing incredibly weak OOC comp (his first A&M team went 19-9 regular season, 8-8 in the Big 12, and didn't make the tournament), and he inherited an All-American guard in Acie Law.

I think he was always a little bit crazy, but got a lot crazier at UK because he realized (probably right away) that it was too much, and he wasn't going to be able to handle it.

UTEP, not Tech. Tech was dumb enough to hire him after UK.

But yeah, he was a fairly hot name. He'd had success, and an upward trajectory, in 5 years as a head man, and he had been an assistant for Bill Self at Illinois, with a lot of success. If UK didn't hire him, Arkansas was probably going to come in with a big offer.

OTOH, if you look closer at his success, you can see holes. His UTEP record and early rise at A&M were built in large part by playing incredibly weak OOC comp (his first A&M team went 19-9 regular season, 8-8 in the Big 12, and didn't make the tournament), and he inherited an All-American guard in Acie Law.

I think he was always a little bit crazy, but got a lot crazier at UK because he realized (probably right away) that it was too much, and he wasn't going to be able to handle it.

Yes, but the solution wasn’t to drink more and hit on Jeanine. Then get mad at Jeanine for not reciprocating on national TV. BCG screwed his own chances.

Good post. I remember watching Acie Law and his teammates move the ball in BCG's last year at A&M. It was so exciting compared to what Tubby's plodding offense had become. I was stoked when BCG was hired. But that bubble burst hard and fast.

BCG was an idiot recruiter. Sorry if that's harsh but it's true. I'm originally from Ashland and remember him offering Dakota Euton out of Rose Hill. The kid was ok but nowhere near the talent of an SEC team, much less Kentucky. Who the hell knows what BCG was thinking. I sure don't.

I recall that. Maybe he was just wanting to get a top KY kid like so many want each year.

That team would have lost 20 games easy. I was so happy when we fired him because I knew whoever we got would bring in better transfers and jucos than that group.

Their was a good chance that the whole team was going to quit if bcg wasn't fired. I know their was a bunch who said their were out.
That's why bcg was scrambling around trying to find juco players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT