ADVERTISEMENT

Stop rationalizing this. This is a terrible hire and Barnhart needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Pope is 5-7 years away from being ready to be UK’s head coach. This is a bad hire for what is needed right now. It’s so bad it’s surreal. Barnhart has taken a blue chip program job and created a mid-level SEC job out of it.

I can’t believe some of you are actually trying to hype yourselves up over this
No shit. Some people will just grasp on to anything. Isnt that what IU starting doing before the end?

We just hired a coach with zero tournament wins.

we suck again GIF

I can’t believe some of you are actually trying to hype yourselves up over this
I couldn't agree more. This is Barnhart, again, living a life of virtue signaling. I'm so tired of it ... that's not his job. We all know of his strong faith but his job to put coaches in place that can best win games. Pope is not even close to ready. Maybe at some point but not now. If Barnhart is too lazy to make the hard choice, then resign or get out of the way. I've said from day one that Barnhart COULD NOT be allowed to unilaterally make this decision. By the way "kydmb99" ... never bet on the crowd being RIGHT, they're not.

Here’s what I don’t get…This hire could’ve been made in a week. Literally could’ve kicked the tires on Beard, Smart, Golden, and Pearl first. Could’ve waited on Billy D. FFS…could’ve called literally ANYONE that is or has been better. Mark effing Pope would’ve taken this job two days into practice in October. Hopefully the board rejects the hire and fires Mitch’s ass.

It is like an anti UK person made this hire. Maybe trying to get Kentucky fans priorities in line? Something telling us to get excited about other things in life that are more important? Why would this happen? We have been beaten down the last few years and this is like the last lethal final blow.

There's a segment of the fanbase that will happyclap and explain away virtually everything.

Used to drive me crazy but I think it stems from anxiety issues more than anything.
It's a form of denial, which honestly can be a very effective coping mechanism. But yes the need to cope is born out of anxiety.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
Bewteen here, online, podcast, Facebook it feels like 90+% of the fanbase is outraged.
Honestly my one last sliver of hope is that this was intentionally leaked in order to gauge fan reaction and "something will come up" at the last minute to kill the deal.

I find it suspicious that everybody got this info at the exact same time. Hell, I got a WLKY news alert on my phone at the same time ESPN and CBS reported it. I don't think Fred Cowgill has any sources.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Honestly my one last sliver of hope is that this was intentionally leaked in order to gauge fan reaction and "something will come up" at the last minute to kill the deal.

I find it suspicious that everybody got this info at the exact same time. Hell, I got a WLKY news alert on my phone at the same time ESPN and CBS reported it. I don't think Fred Cowgill has any sources.
I hope you're right. 2 years ago he finished 5th behind Santa Clara.

I'm not taking a shot a Mark Pope when I say he isn't ready and hasn't proven himself capable of heading up Kentucky Basketball. One day he may very well be at that point but, he's not there yet. This is a very strange decision.

Crap's going to start flowing uphill. Barnhart takes the fall next. Hell, Capiluto is going to find his gig in peril soon.

Mitch has to be fired by the board of trustees….Matt Jones Reporting he refused to consider any Tier 2 coaches with “baggage”. Beard, Pearl, and Miller. And then somehow thought we should go to Tier 4 “never won a NCAA game” level.

Wonder if Barnhart was so mad at a lot of fans not wanting Drew and when he said no it made him so mad he went the tier 4 route just to spite the backlash for so many not wanting Drew?

The general consensus of the fanbase was wtf at first since, no, he wasn’t anyone’s first choice (to put it lightly). But he’s grown on us. His spirit, love for the program, and coaching ability inspire confidence. As does the support of our boosters and administration.

No program in the country would go from courting Dan Hurley to Mark Pope and be like “yeah that makes sense.”

He’s our coach and he has our support. Initial reactions are just those- initial, emotional reactions.

The general consensus of the fanbase was wtf at first since, no, he wasn’t anyone’s first choice (to put it lightly). But he’s grown on us. His spirit, love for the program, and coaching ability inspire confidence. As does the support of our boosters and administration.

No program in the country would go from courting Dan Hurley to Mark Pope and be like “yeah that makes sense.”
It makes sense if there's a university shattering lawsuit about to drop the next day but I digress...

It was a bad hire at the time and still is if you think people should get jobs based on actual performance.

Time will tell if it works out.
The way you think about who coach should be is exactly the problem we’ve got into with Cal.

Reactions: KFuqua
What's done is done. There's nothing anybody can do about it now.
No need in getting your blood pressure up and being so upset that it affects your health. I'll follow the team for you. Check back next March and I'll let you know how we're getting along...

Reactions: KFuqua and meow_cat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT