ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops' year-by-year recruiting class rankings

Mark Stoops year-by-year recruiting class rankings (Rivals) at Kentucky: 2013: 29th 2014: 17th 2015: 35th 2016: 28th 2017: 26th 2018: 30th 2019: 30th 2020: 21st 2021: 37th 2022: 10th UK's class of 2022 is the highest rated class in program history.
I'm not a big fan of the rating system. It should be based on average rating and should not include kickers since they aren't fairly rated. Right now there is too much class size bias.

Mark Stoops year-by-year recruiting class rankings (Rivals) at Kentucky: 2013: 29th 2014: 17th 2015: 35th 2016: 28th 2017: 26th 2018: 30th 2019: 30th 2020: 21st 2021: 37th 2022: 10th UK's class of 2022 is the highest rated class in program history.

This year isn't over yet and we will end up getting passed over by some schools below us as they get more commitments. Our point total is lower right now than 2014.

When our wr gets that 4 star grade and we sign a couple more it will move us up some in total points but I doubt we can hold on to top 10 in points on rivals.
Prob be around 15

Reactions: thornie1
A little appreciated fact is that the classes Brooks (coming off crippling probation) had to work with
while he was here averaged 49th in the nation while he was here, including the first class he inherited from probation. And the 2007 team that upset NC LSU only had three four stars that starred, all three from Kentucky. And our BEST receiving corp ever, coached by the incompetent Joker, had two LATE three stars AND a two star that all played in the NFL, two that played over a decade with the third sidelined by injuries shortly after he became a starter at St Louis. Not to mention the FOUR POINT NINE legacy recruit that might have made an NFL squad if not for injuries.

And the one thing that contributed the most to our TWO two win seasons AND the FIVE years in a row with NO bowl games was the ZERO facilities improvements from our AD during his first DECADE in office. While the rest of the SEC was loading up on the MONEY COW-----football. Which ended up saving our butt because of the SEC distribution

But a lot of our fans have the wrong football hero because of the OTHER SEC ADs that did send the SEC distribution our way, even though our football program contributed NOTHING to it up to that point.

Last edited:
Incredibly better than previous regimes, obviously. With the transfer portal, wonder how those guys would have affected the ranking if they were included with their FR class. In order to consistently be in the top half of the SEC, I believe we need to be closer to 20th overall vs 30th. Not sure how we'll ever be in the top 5 of the SEC when AL, GA, TX, LSU, OK are always going to recruit well (home grown talent in abundance) and there's always TN, AU, SC, etc. who are also striving hard to get to that top level. But, Stoops has done very well with the portal and through development of solid 3+ star guys into quality SEC players. If we can keep White and Coen for a few years, I think we'll see us get to that top 20 level in recruiting and, perhaps, break into that top echelon.

Reactions: jauk11
Incredibly better than previous regimes, obviously. With the transfer portal, wonder how those guys would have affected the ranking if they were included with their FR class. In order to consistently be in the top half of the SEC, I believe we need to be closer to 20th overall vs 30th. Not sure how we'll ever be in the top 5 of the SEC when AL, GA, TX, LSU, OK are always going to recruit well (home grown talent in abundance) and there's always TN, AU, SC, etc. who are also striving hard to get to that top level. But, Stoops has done very well with the portal and through development of solid 3+ star guys into quality SEC players. If we can keep White and Coen for a few years, I think we'll see us get to that top 20 level in recruiting and, perhaps, break into that top echelon.

Oklahoma doesn't have much instate talent, but considers parts of Texas as instate. But not sure Venerables has recent enough connections to the region to keep recruiting where it had been. But on the other side you omitted UF, which is loaded with talent, but now has 4 P5 teams competing alone with multiple oos teams recruiting the state hard. UCF has even won some recruiting battles against the Big3

Last edited:
I did include OK just because its campus is as close to Dallas-Ft Worth as is UT's. They've always had a ton of TX kids. They're a blue blood so no reason to think they won't recruit well with the additional $EC. UF I did overlook. As you said, though, 4 major schools plus just about everyone else recruits there to some extent.

UK has mined some previously untapped talent areas much better under Stoops than anyone I can remember (OH, MI, DC area, TN, East Coast, etc.). Pretty big talent discrepancy to overcome if only looking at in-state KY kids. Luckily, we've got some talented recruiters and a staff that develops kids to get to the next level and, barring that, get a degree and have something to fall back on.

Oklahoma doesn't have much instate talent, but considers parts of Texas as instate. But not sure Venerables has recent enough connections to the region to keep recruiting where it had been. But on the other side you omitted UF, which is loaded with talent, but now has 4 P5 teams competing alone with multiple oos teams recruiting the state hard. UCF has even won some recruiting battles against the Big3
Texas is a big football state, but they have a lot of in state schools competing for the talent------plus Oklahoma. An interesting fact is their high school rules use NCAA rules instead of the national high school AA rules. It caused a lot of adjustments for their high school officials that transferred into our association. They also said that the high school officials were paid a percentage of the gate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT