ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops on Devin Leary

Brad has never struck me as a guy who's going to throw his players under the bus. They didn't execute, but if you watch the tape (God forbid), our guys were in position. Scheme was fine.

Our DLine was getting pushed around (completely unexpectedly). That negated LB play and forced our secondary to play safety valve way too often. They got burned constantly.

Scheme can hide some personnel deficiencies, but cannot overcome poor execution. There's a reason White is so well respected by Stoops and national/SEC pundits, and it's not because he calls bad games constantly.

This might just have to be a situation where we respectfully disagree. Could he have called a better game? Sure. No coach is perfect. Sometimes we just have to accept that the opponent has a great game plan and doesn't shoot their toes off, though.

Yes. Childress alone killed us. Constantly coming up on PA and letting TEs run by him. Just mind blowing considering Bowers is definitely someone we had eyes on. Did it all game. No idea what caused a few guys just lose their brains in the same game

Fact it's even that close speaks volumes and goes exactly what I mean about weak/poor routes.

He has to carve out space to give his QB room to throw it to outside shoulder. Immediate outside release and putting himself directly on the sideline is awful technique because it gives the QB nowhere to go.

Second snap of the game he did just that yet again but Leary throws a beautiful ball. Instead of playing it over the shoulder, brown inexplicably turns completely around and tries to backpedal into the catch, just like last year. Hit him right in the hands and drops it. Then I'm sure he asked out of the game like he always does after every target. Dropped 45 yard completion on a dime that could totally change everything.

It's easy for fans to watch our passing game and blame it all on Leary. He deserves criticism for sure for the misses, but every QB will miss. The vast majority of our passing game issue is on the wrs and it's all effort/focus. Weak routes, refusal to block, dropped passes, egos, asking out after a target - it's all completely unacceptable and killing an otherwise explosive offense.

All the same issues derailed us last year when tayvion admits he basically quit because of scang. Instead of telling him to get lost because he quit, we coddled him back. I guess we think these guys don't respond well to accountability, so we won't give them any. That's a very poor approach. Yet we continue to force touches to these guys.

The entire thing is highlighted by a selfless, way more productive ray Davis that gives us everything while being gracious and humble. He is literally one of the best backs in the nation and gives up touches (while being a beast pass blocking) to guys who can't be bothered to run two routes in a row.

Take off the kids gloves and bench these guys just for a game (and Burton for good) to see how they respond. Yes there is a talent drop off but I'd rather live with that if the backups show good effort and attitude
Rack.

The WR room is soft and runs awful, lazy routes for the most part.

Playing your DB's 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd. and 7 and then turning and running back away from LOS when the ball is snapped to prevent a big play is scheme.......
Unless you think every DB for the past 4 years chose to play the same way......that's scheme, and we will never beat a team with an above average QB and decent WRS playing so passive, hoping they will make a mistake before they score.

If you choose not to pressure QB in favor of dropping more bodies into zone pass coverage, any decent QB with a decent OL can sit back there and throw to open receivers all night.

That is what we have seen over and over again with this prevent defense that is CMS/BW comfort zone....it is a losing scheme against the better teams.....
Exactly. We kept allowing their receivers to find the open spots in the zone and consistently burn us for big yardage. No effort was put into pressing the WRs or pressuring the QB. Two things this defense needs. One, play more man coverage. Press them and stop allowing the pass catchers to easily get big yards and first downs that keeps happening with the current zone coverage scheme. Second, in the words of Bill Cowher: RUSH THE QUARTERBACK!!! We need a Josh Allen/Bud Dupree/Denzil Ware/Boogie Watson-type pass rusher on this defense. They have usually been much better when they have that type of a game wrecker that can pressure the QB, get sacks, force turnovers, and put them into long down and distance situations.

Yes. Childress alone killed us. Constantly coming up on PA and letting TEs run by him. Just mind blowing considering Bowers is definitely someone we had eyes on. Did it all game. No idea what caused a few guys just lose their brains in the same game
Everyone that has ever played a down of football, or had any understanding of what we have seen all year, KNEW that ZC was the weakest link in the back 7 and in no way could cover Bowers.

Alex Afari was the only player on that side of the ball that had a prayer of covering BB, and I do not recall him being in coverage on the TE on a single play.

That is coaching malfeasance IMO. Ray Charles could see what BB was going to do if ZC tried to cover him.

I agree that he needs to improve there, dramatically. But, it’s not just backup QBs, or a lack thereof, that have been a problem. Outside of 21, when have we had a legit, reliable passing attack under Stoops? Our QB play has been average to below average for 10/11 years & that’s putting it nicely. The conservative, simple playbooks (aside from Coen) haven’t done the QBs any favors, though.

Towles was very inconsistent & never lived up to the hype, despite having prototypical size & tools. Barker was injured & never really had a chance. Stephen Johnson played with great heart & could make plays with his feet. But, the passing attack struggled mightily while he was QB & was never a threat keeping opposing DCs up at night.

Terry Wilson was very similar to SJ. He was faster & a slightly better passer, but, he was also wildly inconsistent & prone to turnovers & the passing game was basically an afterthought. Then we had the Bowden season when forward passes were practically nonexistent bc no other QB on the roster had been developed. Levis was really good in 21, but, also lacked some consistency. He regressed a little last season, IMO, although he had valid excuses, playing hurt & adjusting to a new OC & OL coach.

And, throughout all those seasons, regardless of how poorly the starter may have played, we RARELY saw any of the backups take a snap unless there was an injury forcing the issue. The QB position & the passing game in general have seriously held this program back for Stoops’ entire tenure. It was understandable when he got the job & was just starting the rebuild. But, there’s no excuse for the problem persisting into year 11. Hopefully, Boley &/or Saunders can change the narrative, eventually.
Difference is coaching philosophies, we would not want to hurt anyone's feelings......THUS

Same story, different year. We are halfway through the schedule and the only team in the SEC that the backup QB has not attempted even one pass. Stoops continues to fail miserably in have a serviceable backup that is ready to go when called upon due to zero game experience. Honestly do not know how he can continue to be so clueless in this regard 11 years in.

That is very frustrating to me also. How many SEC teams over the years have had their backup QB come in and scorch us, and end up having a record breaking game? Too many to count. I like Stoop's defenses, but our traditional QB offenses have mostly struggled with very little traction when it comes to developing QB's to anchor the team long term. We have trouble getting/keeping an effective primary QB, so I guess it's not surprising we never have a semi-experienced backup.

Stoops has said something is off with the team right now. My guess is a big disconnect with the QB and rest of offense. I mean, something just isn’t working. Leary is the new peg. Seems the rest of the O isn’t confident in him. But for sure WR’s have been an issue. But geez Leary has been really bad.
Why is this always a talking point each and every year? While a team is comprised of 105 different personalities, I’ve never understood the “something is off” or the “stoops has lost or will lose this team” type crap. As a fan, it is just infuriating. Agree on Leary being subpar but in his defense, SEC is a little different than ACC…

Mental toughness part is something that nobody can judge till the bullets start flying. Something that a guy either has or doesn't have. Nothing can be done with that part. A drive to win is something you can't teach. Why some three stars turn out better than some four stars. Can't measure the heart. And that goes for all our players. It is concerning that so many of our players did not show up for the game against Georgia. Seemed to be physically prepared but their inferior complex playing Georgia was hard to watch. We all thought our guys would be chomping at the bit to play them. It will be interesting to see against TN and AL if their inferior complex will be the same. Have to have an attitude of doing whatever it takes to be the aggressor and most disciplined. That is what it means to being mentally tougher.

No lies detected, but Stoops was very critical of Leary: "Usually, I don’t say a whole lot during games to a quarterback to not get him off, but there’s no excuse to not hit some of those passes. I mean, we had some guys wide open, you know? We missed some open plays to keep it close early."

Devin undoubtedly missed some passes, but the real problem was Stoops and his coaching staff. Georgia's coaching staff outclassed them. The season before the Georgia game was fool's gold. I'm ready for a 9-game SEC schedule to better measure the health of the program. The MAC schedule has to go.

Everyone that has ever played a down of football, or had any understanding of what we have seen all year, KNEW that ZC was the weakest link in the back 7 and in no way could cover Bowers.

Alex Afari was the only player on that side of the ball that had a prayer of covering BB, and I do not recall him being in coverage on the TE on a single play.

That is coaching malfeasance IMO. Ray Charles could see what BB was going to do if ZC tried to cover him.
Not the plays Bowers was open but saw Afari on him more than once. Thought all in all Afari did a respectable job on Bowers.

I hated everything about the defense on Saturday- gutless conservative get your brains beat in scheme. No pressure 4 guys running on a treadmill - blitzes are rare and come from 25yds out and usually to late
Play to win the game create havac
But no set back and let them destroy you all night - sickening
As far as Leary - he seems to want style points gets lazy in his fundamentals- wants to throw 100 mph slants nobody can catch - let’s give Sheron a chance give him a series - call the game like Leary is QB

WAS Not the plays Bowers was open but saw Afari on him more than once. Thought all in all Afari did a respectable job on Bowers.
Thank you. When Afari WAS on BB, was not the plays he was running wide open through the defense.....hmmmm.

No safety can cover Bowers. I believe that. However we'll never know what childress could do because he turned him loose every time, then tried to panic recover but it was much too late. Frankly we were damned lucky Bowers didn't get more on some of these catch and runs. In the past, those are absolutely touchdowns against us and many other teams.

Wasn't just him though to be sure. Hairston did it, as he did it last week (he flew up and Florida threw a TD to his te) and Lovett did it too. But childress was by far and away the worst offender, especially early. He's killer in the run game, but needs to get back to playing responsibilities like he did last year

Reactions: cathouse
Not the plays Bowers was open but saw Afari on him more than once. Thought all in all Afari did a respectable job on Bowers.

He did. He stayed on assignment and tackled him when he caught the ball. That's all anyone can really expect vs an all world talent like that. Definitely can't let him run by you while you're biting on play action

I partially watched highlights of Leary at NC State. He appeared to be very accurate and on time with his throws so I don’t understand what’s going on unless the injury is just not healed. I also noticed he made a lot of quick reads. Maybe this offense is a lot more complicated and he’s over thinking instead of just reacting?

Why is this always a talking point each and every year? While a team is comprised of 105 different personalities, I’ve never understood the “something is off” or the “stoops has lost or will lose this team” type crap. As a fan, it is just infuriating. Agree on Leary being subpar but in his defense, SEC is a little different than ACC…
Stoops said it brother, not me. I’m just speculating based on what I see and what he said. It’s a message board dude.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Makes us miss Will Levis at this point. Leary was supposed to be the Prize of the transfer QB;s this year. he certainly hasn't lived up to that. we can watch film of him at NC State and see him hitting guys with pinpoint accuracy on his way to 3000+ yards and 35 TD's in a season, but whatever has changed, be it his injury or what, he's not the QB we thought we were getting.
It is one of those hard to explain things. Everyone thought he would be good, he was good before when healthy, he was showing he was good in pre-season with his own teammates raving about his accuracy . . . then really struggled in live action. I would say it has something to do with injury but why didn't that show up pre-season?

Its a conundrum

Agree with those who say our defensive front basically runs in place. Looks like we are in concrete. Rarely see a def end rotate to the middle and a tackle go to the end. Very few spins and swim moves. Are they not being taught this stuff or what?

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Agree with those who say our defensive front basically runs in place. Looks like we are in concrete. Rarely see a def end rotate to the middle and a tackle go to the end. Very few spins and swim moves. Are they not being taught this stuff or what?
Dinkins gets off the ball quick and gets after people. He could probably help with this.

It is one of those hard to explain things. Everyone thought he would be good, he was good before when healthy, he was showing he was good in pre-season with his own teammates raving about his accuracy . . . then really struggled in live action. I would say it has something to do with injury but why didn't that show up pre-season?

Its a conundrum
He wasn't taking hits in pre-season. The ball he threw to the TE for a Td was accurate,he hits some hard throws and misses too many easy ones.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The NIL money dictates who plays QB here. The rest of the team is giving the big FU to Leary.

Carry on...

He wasn't taking hits in pre-season. The ball he threw to the TE for a Td was accurate,he hits some hard throws and misses too many easy ones.
Yes. It is peculiar, he often throws it through kitchen doggy doors to tightly-covered receivers and then has guys wide open on a huge dance floor and misses them. You know it has to really be frustrating him and affecting his confidence. He simply has to fight through it and find a hot streak. Hopefully, the streak begins against Missouri ... it almost HAS to !! We need him to play up to his potential ...

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Stoops said it brother, not me. I’m just speculating based on what I see and what he said. It’s a message board dude.
Sorry, BWO7, I was not criticizing your message - was just commenting on this specific topic because it is frustrating that half way into our season, there is talk of divisive factions within this team that many of us feel has so much to play for. K?

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
It is hard to believe that a backup QB can't complete 40% of their passes. We would be better off at this point putting Brown back there and running the Lynn Bowden offense. Plus, Brown wouldn't be able to drop passes if he was at QB.
I actually think this would be good coaching. Leary used to be an accurate passer but had to learn to throw all over again after his surgery. His accuracy will improve but it's not reasonable to expect it to improve over the next 6 weeks. If he remains our qb we will most likely have frustratingly inaccurate passing all year.

On the bright side, with the defensive gameplan we saw against Georgia I don't think the offense will
matter that much. Any good passing offense is going to kill us.

This isn’t going to be fixed over night unfortunately. The injury has altered his throwing motion and he’s having to learn the mechanics over again. Problem is, the increasing criticism and doubt he’s experiencing is causing him to overthink thus making things worse. It’s currently a no win situation.

Sorry, BWO7, I was not criticizing your message - was just commenting on this specific topic because it is frustrating that half way into our season, there is talk of divisive factions within this team that many of us feel has so much to play for. K?
I gotcha. No worries. I found it interesting that CMS commented on the divide in last years team, saying he hopes this season doesn’t follow in the same path. To me, that was a little alarming. I see that at mostly Scang and half the offense, but see his comment directed more toward Devin on this season. Just my observation though.

Good for Stoops. Leary has not played well enough to win SEC games. 46% in 3 sec games is atrocious. I'll defend him a little due to drops but still not good enough

Thank God we played Vandy and have Ray Davis becoming Barry sanders against FL.

Have to have better qb play and defense has to play better on the road. 51 against uga and 28 against Vandy? Not good. We have 3 tough home games left too. Missouri and TN have good offenses and I think Bamas is improving. Plus they are bama and have Saban.

The criticism was deserved, but as @ManitouDan said that criticism should have been shared by several other's as well.

Not buying the injury thing with Devin only because he was throwing fine in preseason.

Yep, there is something "off" with this team, no question, and I honestly believe it's coming from the WR room. JMO.

It's damn near criminal to never, ever develop your back up QB. It's insane.

Stoops has his faults, no question, but realistically who could we hire that we knew would bring about a better program than what we now have?

Go Cats!!

Tayvion Robinson had nobody within 15 yards of him and could have walked into the end zone but got wildly overthrown.
I knew the game was over when that happened. If UK scores there its 7 to 7 and who knows how the rest of the game goes. Leary and the offense wouldve had some confidence after a big play there. Then UGA goes up 14 to 0 and I knew it was over and I would say most of us knew.

Your apt description of Brown's play is what I've observed, too. It was the same way last year.
But you’re not really considering how amazing he is at celebrating when he does do something good.

I partially watched highlights of Leary at NC State. He appeared to be very accurate and on time with his throws so I don’t understand what’s going on unless the injury is just not healed. I also noticed he made a lot of quick reads. Maybe this offense is a lot more complicated and he’s over thinking instead of just reacting?
Maybe it's the speed and talent of the SEC??

Exactly, some of the corner TD throws he makes are great and then he misses wide open guys by a mile wether they are deep or 10 yards away. Makes no sense.

I knew the game was over when that happened.
That was my thought exactly. Everyone was saying to win that game they would have to make those kinds of plays, but right out of the box negative side of UK's passing game reared it's ugly head. I don't think anyone was beating Georgia that night but we could have at least made the game live up to it's billing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT