ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Has To Leave This Year

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
If this season continues to spiral downward. After the way he tried to leave last year, constantly complains about NIL, and going after the fans, I just can't see things getting any better going forward. The conference also isn't getting any easier. Plus we looked as poorly coached as we have since Stoops first got here. We need some new energy injected into the program like we finally did with basketball. Hopefully that one pays off or I'm about done with sports.

So the guy who won the most games in UK history and went to how many bowls in a row again doesnt get 1 bad season?
If he tanks this year it would be more than 1 bad season. Sometimes coaches time at a school just run their course. He was almost gone himself. If he gets spanked by SC and Florida or Vandy then I think it’s time to have some real conversations about the future of this program. The UK program I think is close enough right now at competing to entertain some quality coaches.

Stoops will go nowhere UNLIKE our basketball fans football has a sizeable contingent that will accept mediocrity. There will be some heat on him but not enough to affect a change. Those of us who think we could do better at UK will drown in a deluge of comments like " We will go back to the Phillips era" or " We need to be realistic" : We need to look at this from a historical perspective ". I've followed UK football the Ray era, so nothing suprisee anymore. Expect nothing and that's what you get.

The guy who has lost the most games in UK history has had four bad seasons. This would be number five.
It's like bragging about Cal's Final Four numbers when he hadn't had one in like 9 years. With 4 nearly guaranteed wins out of conference and yearly games against Vandy and MSU, he should be the winningest coach after 11 years. Then throw in how mediocre teams like Florida, Tenn, and South Carolina have been during his time here, he should have numbers like that.

Other places have tougher out of conference schedules or play for more than just a bowl game. That's why many have failed, but most have reached higher highs because of expectations. Stoops is his own worst enemy. He took advantage of the situation to get higher win totals using smoke and mirrors and raising our expectations. I don't think he's able to do that anymore and if just going to the MCB is all you strive for, then that might be the best you get going forward with him.

Last edited:
So the guy who won the most games in UK history and went to how many bowls in a row again doesnt get 1 bad season?
I can't believe you can support the current status of our football program. How in the name of UK can you be willing to continue to support this mess. How do expect different results when we get the same effort and coaching? Don't be a wimp and be afraid of change. I would take any coach in America over a known coach that can't grow the program in 12 years.

Stoops will go nowhere UNLIKE our basketball fans football has a sizeable contingent that will accept mediocrity. There will be some heat on him but not enough to affect a change. Those of us who think we could do better at UK will drown in a deluge of comments like " We will go back to the Phillips era" or " We need to be realistic" : We need to look at this from a historical perspective ". I've followed UK football the Ray era, so nothing suprisee anymore. Expect nothing and that's what you get.

To be clear, despite all that it's not like Cal was getting canned. He was getting at least one more season (IMO he should have been fired after st peters but I get why not due to barnies dumb contract) but chose to leave.

Stoops tried to leave last season too but a and m rejected him. He doesn't have value. As crappy as cal was the last 4 seasons he still has some value to a program like Arkansas.

Reactions: blubo
Top Ten salary.
Top 50 expectations from our change adverse AD.
Hell, Calipari would still be here if he didn't leave on his own.
For whatever reason, he seems good with rewarding mediocrity, not setting any goals for his coaching hires, and letting them get far too comfortable here with minimal effort to keep their position.

To be clear, despite all that it's not like Cal was getting canned. He was getting at least one more season (IMO he should have been fired after st peters but I get why not due to barnies dumb contract) but chose to leave.

Stoops tried to leave last season too but an and m rejected him. He doesn't have value. As crappy as cal was the last 4 seasons he still has some value to a program like Arkansas.
Hall of fame , an NCAA title , several final fours and top 5 classes will buy any coach …football or basketball…some time . Including Cal

Did you post this after having a half bottle of bourbon? Stoops is 2-28 against SEC teams finishing with a winning record. He needs to go now if possible.

I get what you're saying. I think the bigger issue is, I think a lot of us just don't feel like the program is heading in the right direction anymore. OCs come and go and the offense is never more than serviceable at best. The D is unimaginative and vanilla. These things are never going to change under Stoops.

IMO… Lose your fear of getting better, or accept football as a way to spend Saturdays until basketball season begins. Personally I say thank Stoops for what he’s done, then send him packing. It’s obvious he can’t take the next step.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT