ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops did the right thing two years ago... time to do it again?

gamalielkid

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2002
Coach Stoops made the bold move to hire Liam Coen two years ago. After this season he probably needs to do the right thing again - and hire some other new coaches. Because of his good hiring in the past, Coach Stoops has had to replace good coaches. He has done an over all good job. But, he is human and he hires humans - so sometimes they all don't work out the way we expect. I think we may have a really good OC on staff right now - maybe as good of one as you can get - but the perception now is he is not the right guy. His resume from the past indicates he can get the job done - he did it before and was very successful! But his image is tarnished - and it may be very hard to make it work because of that image.

Coach Stoops and this coach are very good coaches, men and very honorable and great for the program. Probably the only way to keep this coach and make it work out correctly would be to do the unthinkable to most people - make the change today! The only way for people to see this is the right coach is to make it now so the players, the fans and the recruits and players of the future can see this guy can coach a fun, exciting and winning offense that wins games! Yes, I am talking about Eddie Gran as our offensive Co-ordinator!

Before you go crazy - why did we change from Eddie? It was perception and he was doing exactly what Coach Stoops asked of him. We needed an image change at the time. Now, forget about Eddie Gran's style from the past at UK, look at the Eddie Gran OC who ran the Cincinnati offense before he came to UK. It was an evenly balanced exciting passing attack! Eddie changed to mesh with the concepts of Coach Stoops. Eddie has stayed loyal and has watched Liam Coen and now Rich Sangarello as well. Eddie has been a very successful OC - and he could have even greater success here again. Remember, Eddie Gran also was the OC that was here for Coach Stoops first 10 win season! Make the change now - with 3 games and a bowl game left. Let everyone see what Eddie can do as an OC with the QB, the receivers and the running backs we have now! Those 4 games could make a very smooth transition for the future!

Finally, here is some info that most people don't know or remember. When Eddie was OC at Cincinnati it has a very exciting passing attack. His offenses finished 47, 25 and 11th in the country his three years at UC! Look at our offense this year - where is it? 100th??? They attacked primarily from the shotgun and passed the ball all over the field! Eddie changed his attack to match what Coach Stoops wanted at the time and matched the team's idenity and personnel. He coached under some coaching legends as well. He has been a coach at Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee and Cincinnati and UK. He was successful everywhere he has been. Eddie is still only 57 years old. He loves UK and Lexington. He seems like the right guy at the right time at the right place.........

Go Big Blue!

Gran would be no different under CMS now than he was then.

He is a "company man" who will allow CMS to dictate the offense, and we all know what that looks like.

It will take another OC like Coen that demands autonomy to call plays BEFORE he agrees to take the job.

If not, it is just going to be wash, rinse, repeat.

If Stoops thinks Scan is a bad fit & isn't getting it done he will be gone. He did it with Shannon Dawson after 1 yr.

It wouldn't be a firing, they would mutually agree to move on & Scan goes back to the NFL.

If, if Stoops wants to move on i hope he does what he should have done in January....promote Coach Woody. He's Coen's boy, and has been recruiting like a demon.

I agree that if Stoops doesn't like what he is seeing, he won't have a problem making the change. Reading his body language at the end of the first half, I don't think he has faith in the offense right now. Is that the OC play designs, timing of the play designs, or just the OL struggling. No one has a better feel for that than Stoops. I don't think he will change back to EG. Stoops takes a lot of heat for micro managing the offense but I don't think that is accurate. Does he ask the OC to not put the defense in bad spots, probably, but I think he lets the OC do their job.

Reactions: bryanlewis6402
Finally, here is some info that most people don't know or remember. When Eddie was OC at Cincinnati it has a very exciting passing attack. His offenses finished 47, 25 and 11th in the country his three years at UC! Look at our offense this year - where is it? 100th??? They attacked primarily from the shotgun and passed the ball all over the field! Eddie changed his attack to match what Coach Stoops wanted at the time and matched the team's idenity and personnel. He coached under some coaching legends as well. He has been a coach at Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee and Cincinnati and UK. He was successful everywhere he has been. Eddie is still only 57 years old. He loves UK and Lexington. He seems like the right guy at the right time at the right place.........

Go Big Blue!
Huge difference in competition level with the defenses. I'm an Eddie Gran fan but IMO he hitched his wagon to Hinshaw and that ultimately cost him his job. Hinshaw couldn't recruit a quarterback consistent enough to have a passing attack that could be relied on. HS players saw that and it affected the talent level receiver.

First time seeing team Yesterday watching the line don’t know if there is an offensive coordinator in the world that could turn this around so I would take a wait and see approach with a conversation about certain things.

If we are 3rd and long it’s a miracle if Will even gets to his first read if it’s not open he is sacked, wouldn’t even dream of a 2nd or third read this season. Unless yesterday was an anomaly.

I thought the same thoughts all year, but in person you really see that the best chance this offense has is 90/10 run pass and even if we did that and went 9-3 the fans would be upset and it would cost us long term.

I think you address pace of play in the off season, have to get modern in that, but that is on stoops not his OC.

The few times we broke the huddle with 20 seconds to go on the play clock we looked at the coaches, changed the play and more times than not it was successful. You call a run up the middle, they have 9 in the box and you break huddle with 8 seconds to go, you get stuffed every time.

that’s the issue, the line pass blocks at a middle school level and we don’t get in the right play or read the line very often.

is that a oc issue or issue with personal or head man? I don’t know I’m just a message board poster.

Reactions: TysonD44
You don’t fire a guy after one year. I’m his critic and extremely doubtful it works but that’s just not a fair standard.

Disagree, not saying he should or shouldn't be fired, but if he isn't a fit the head coach should let an assistant after 1 year. Kirby has done it more than once since he has been in Athens. I think we are on our 4th DB coach, 3rd OL coach and OC. Tracy Rocker was let go after 1 year and he had a glowing reputation, he just didn't like to recruit, gets you off Kirby's staff real quick.

If Stoops thinks Scan is a bad fit & isn't getting it done he will be gone. He did it with Shannon Dawson after 1 yr.

It wouldn't be a firing, they would mutually agree to move on & Scan goes back to the NFL.

If, if Stoops wants to move on i hope he does what he should have done in January....promote Coach Woody. He's Coen's boy, and has been recruiting like a demon.
1. Woodard is an interesting thought....he's pretty green to let him have the offense. But I could be talked into he's a Coen type. We'd have to replace Yenser and pay up big to steal a damn good Oline from another team to go with it IMO.

2. WHo is Woodard recruiting in this class to get such a label. This class is so "meh"....who has he brought in?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I hate to say this but every time we get in an obvious passing situation I expect Will to get sacked
I haven’t rewatched the game yet but it seemed like every time he went back to pass he had zero time. And a lot of times our guys are totally whiffing. I mean we don’t even get a body in front of the defender to slow them down most of the time, it seems.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
1. Woodard is an interesting thought....he's pretty green to let him have the offense. But I could be talked into he's a Coen type. We'd have to replace Yenser and pay up big to steal a damn good Oline from another team to go with it IMO.

2. WHo is Woodard recruiting in this class to get such a label. This class is so "meh"....who has he brought in?
I think he may be referring to Brown,Key,and Porter. That's about the best set of receivers I can remember. Along with the others that have not played a great deal yet!

We need to keep woody at all costs. Imo the plan was for him to take over after scang left. If that happens to be now then so be it.

I don't see any need for change at oc. OL is depleted and we can't use half our playbook (boots) because Levis is hobbled. Plus there is no threat of QB run and be really cent even carry out fakes after the handoff

I do think yenser will leave. Listening to his interviews he's literally married to wide zone and I am not convinced we will be that committed going forward. I think that's why stoops keeps saying "we are what we are" which means we're mainly inside zone and pin/pull/gap

Reactions: JHB4UK
You don’t fire a guy after one year. I’m his critic and extremely doubtful it works but that’s just not a fair standard.
STOOPS told RS he wanted to guarantee him he'd stay two years so he signed RS to a nice fat two year guarantee, so there's that. I don't like his play calling, but Stoops has publicly stated that he has no plans to run an offense that scores a lot of points , so there's that even though we have individuals who fill that bill to be able to do so. Yenser will probably be out of a job when the season is over even though the clown we had last season very well may be part of the problem because of his player rotation being nonexistent. It's just a shame to be wasting young and potentially allsec players because of philosophy. Yesterday when we had to get desperate shows the potential of this group.

Reactions: Seakat311

Who's coach Woody?

You do if he absolutely sucks at his job. The talent we have at the skill positions is just ridiculous, and it's been squandered this year. Do you expect him to do do better next year after losing Levis and C-Rod? Next year could be disastrous.

Reactions: seccats04
I agree that if Stoops doesn't like what he is seeing, he won't have a problem making the change. Reading his body language at the end of the first half, I don't think he has faith in the offense right now. Is that the OC play designs, timing of the play designs, or just the OL struggling. No one has a better feel for that than Stoops. I don't think he will change back to EG. Stoops takes a lot of heat for micro managing the offense but I don't think that is accurate. Does he ask the OC to not put the defense in bad spots, probably, but I think he lets the OC do their job.
Well he sure seems to keep those offensive numbers way down the pole ,we have had a few good OCs and we havent produced at the level they had prior to them coming to UK. The one common denominator is Stoops.

Coach Stoops made the bold move to hire Liam Coen two years ago. After this season he probably needs to do the right thing again - and hire some other new coaches. Because of his good hiring in the past, Coach Stoops has had to replace good coaches. He has done an over all good job. But, he is human and he hires humans - so sometimes they all don't work out the way we expect. I think we may have a really good OC on staff right now - maybe as good of one as you can get - but the perception now is he is not the right guy. His resume from the past indicates he can get the job done - he did it before and was very successful! But his image is tarnished - and it may be very hard to make it work because of that image.

Coach Stoops and this coach are very good coaches, men and very honorable and great for the program. Probably the only way to keep this coach and make it work out correctly would be to do the unthinkable to most people - make the change today! The only way for people to see this is the right coach is to make it now so the players, the fans and the recruits and players of the future can see this guy can coach a fun, exciting and winning offense that wins games! Yes, I am talking about Eddie Gran as our offensive Co-ordinator!

Before you go crazy - why did we change from Eddie? It was perception and he was doing exactly what Coach Stoops asked of him. We needed an image change at the time. Now, forget about Eddie Gran's style from the past at UK, look at the Eddie Gran OC who ran the Cincinnati offense before he came to UK. It was an evenly balanced exciting passing attack! Eddie changed to mesh with the concepts of Coach Stoops. Eddie has stayed loyal and has watched Liam Coen and now Rich Sangarello as well. Eddie has been a very successful OC - and he could have even greater success here again. Remember, Eddie Gran also was the OC that was here for Coach Stoops first 10 win season! Make the change now - with 3 games and a bowl game left. Let everyone see what Eddie can do as an OC with the QB, the receivers and the running backs we have now! Those 4 games could make a very smooth transition for the future!

Go Big Blue!
You make some good points. But UK is already running a pro style offense. It is not succeeding because execution is lacking. Too many turnovers, an injured QB, and mediocre play by the OL. That is not Stoops' fault, Eddie Gran is a RB coach by trade, not a QB coach. Gran did what he did because we had a strong running game and a QB who was not SEC ready. At the time, Gran made the best of the existing roster.

Four different OCs in 4 years would be a very bad look for the program, a problem for player development, and a limiting issue for recruiting. It might cause some current players to leave. That creates a dilemma. Coach Scan has not gotten the job done yet, but he has a multiyear contract. There have been several mitigating factors, including Levis' injuries and a questionable coaching performance by the neophyte Zach Yenser. Yenser was chosen by Coen. It might be a better idea to replace Yenser with an experienced OL coach and see if Scan can right the ship. This suggestion won't be popular with the anti-Scan crowd on the board, but no solution will be popular until it works. I trust Coach Stoops to know what is best, because he has earned that trust.

Actually the one common Denominator is an SEC Schedule against SEC Talent.
Well tell that to tenn who had blown the scoreboard up against everyone besides yesterday,stoops likes the ground and pound slow grind it out traditional FB.

Stoops wants to play like Iowa, always has always will regardless of the oc. People wanting basketball on grass will always be disappointed under Stoops.
I just want a offense that puts up ,30 PPG! Anything less and you have no shot at Atlanta,or the playoffs!
Stoops defense is good enough to challenge the top teams in the SEC. His offense is what is keeping this team from taking that next step!

Disagree, not saying he should or shouldn't be fired, but if he isn't a fit the head coach should let an assistant after 1 year. Kirby has done it more than once since he has been in Athens. I think we are on our 4th DB coach, 3rd OL coach and OC. Tracy Rocker was let go after 1 year and he had a glowing reputation, he just didn't like to recruit, gets you off Kirby's staff real quick.
If there are other issues, like not recruiting, the. That’s a different story. If a guy is otherwise fulfilling his role but has struggled in year one, you don’t fire him. I dont care if Kirby does it or not. If Kentucky lived by that Standard we wouldn’t have Mark Stoops or Brad White.

Reactions: TysonD44
Well tell that to tenn who had blown the scoreboard up against everyone besides yesterday,stoops likes the ground and pound slow grind it out traditional FB.
I didn't say that we can't have an Explosive offense at Kentucky. I said that the Common Denominator with the offensive Coordinators that have came here and failed with their high powered offenses are the problem when they have to face an SEC Schedule and SEC Talent. It's not like they've left here and went on to lead other Power 5 Schools to top 25 Offenses. For instance look at Leach and his Offense for a prime example. Hiw many yards did they have against us vs what they avg ? How many points vs us compared to what they avg ? Same with the Ole Miss game. I am 100% behind the let's get rid of Scangerello train. We can do better. I do 100% believe Stoops understands that it must be done and he will get it done and hire a New Oline Coach and a New Offensive Coordinator.

The bad thing about a pro style system is you have to get a QB that has nfl caliber arm to be effective. I wish we would go to a more college friendly system like Tennessee did. I think Levis not being able to run the ball has hurt us really bad this season.

The bad thing about a pro style system is you have to get a QB that has nfl caliber arm to be effective. I wish we would go to a more college friendly system like Tennessee did. I think Levis not being able to run the ball has hurt us really bad this season.
Has there been a designed run for him all year? I don’t remember seeing any, but I quit watching the UT game shortly after halftime. It’s definitely made our offense too predictable. QB’s that can run and pass are worth a fortune. We apparently don’t have that with Levi’s toe.

Has there been a designed run for him all year? I don’t remember seeing any,
Yeah, the Ole Miss game, next to last drive we had 3rd & short....ran a simple read option, Levis kept it instead of handing to Rodriguez. Took a Reb tackler on instead of just getting the 1st down. defender put helmet on ball, fumble forced, great chance to tie or take the lead late in the 4th gone.

Think we all know how the last drive ended next.

Yeah, the Ole Miss game, next to last drive we had 3rd & short....ran a simple read option, Levis kept it instead of handing to Rodriguez. Took a Reb tackler on instead of just getting the 1st down. defender put helmet on ball, fumble forced, great chance to tie or take the lead late in the 4th gone.

Think we all know how the last drive ended next.
Yep. I do remember that.

Stoops wants to play like Iowa, always has always will regardless of the oc. People wanting basketball on grass will always be disappointed under Stoops.
Then explain why Stoops has hired UK's last two OCs directly from the NFL. Your comment doesn't stand up to the facts, but I get it that facts generally don't change minds on this board.

Stoops is adapting. Anyone who will not acknowledge that is fishing for reasons to cling to past narratives. It may not always go smoothly, but he has earned our trust.

Go Big Blue!
I posted this two weeks ago - Unfortunately, I think it was a good post then and even a better post today!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT