ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops and Iowa

CatsFanIL

Freshman
May 29, 2019
Is it POSSIBLE that Iowa contacted Stoops this weekend - as reports of Stoops to TexasAM started circulating - and told him that if Ferentz retires at the end of the season, the job is his?

I love Stoops, but I 100% expect him to take the Iowa job if it's ever offered to him. Just curious what BBN thinks is the possibility of Iowa contacting him and telling him to slow his roll on TexasAM

1%? 10 %? 0%

Texas A&M is 10x the job Iowa is. He's not leaving for Iowa unless things were bad here and was trying to get out before he's fired, a la Tubby.

Reactions: maroon79
No.
Not saying he wouldn't look at Iowa in future.
But these guys have agents that feel all this out.
Doubt Jimmy Sexton was unaware 100 year old Ferrntz might retire and his client would be interested in the job at his alma mater.

Reactions: cathouse
Texas A&M is 10x the job Iowa is. He's not leaving for Iowa unless things were bad here and was trying to get out before he's fired, a la Tubby.
I’m not sure that’s true. TAMU doesn’t win very often. Iowa wins 10 games a lot of years. The TV money under the current contract gets more to B10 schools. The Iowa fan base also seems pretty fair and cogent which is not how I perceive AM fans.

The biggest road block for Iowa has been the B10 East division champ is usually a playoff team but once the playoffs expand I could see a 10-11 win B10 West champ making the playoffs even after getting humbled by OSU or Michigan in the B10 title game.

The wild card is the new teams coming into the B10 from the P12, because who knows how they change things for teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, etc

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’m not sure that’s true. TAMU doesn’t win very often. Iowa wins 10 games a lot of years. The TV money under the current contract gets more to B10 schools. The Iowa fan base also seems pretty fair and cogent which is not how I perceive AM fans.

The biggest road block for Iowa has been the B10 East division champ is usually a playoff team but once the playoffs expand I could see a 10-11 win B10 West champ making the playoffs even after getting humbled by OSU or Michigan in the B10 title game.

The wild card is the new teams coming into the B10 from the P12, because who knows how they change things for teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, etc

Yeah but in today’s game that TV money and conference money doesn’t mean what it used to. That money can only be used on coaches and facilities and 90% of power 5 teams are going to have comparable facilities.

Boosters and pay for play (which I know is illegal but is how it is now) is what makes a job great or not now and Texas an and m has that in abundance compared to iowa.

Reactions: YaketySax
Is it POSSIBLE that Iowa contacted Stoops this weekend - as reports of Stoops to TexasAM started circulating - and told him that if Ferentz retires at the end of the season, the job is his?

I love Stoops, but I 100% expect him to take the Iowa job if it's ever offered to him. Just curious what BBN thinks is the possibility of Iowa contacting him and telling him to slow his roll on TexasAM

1%? 10 %? 0%
No

You guys put a lot of weight on the fact he went to school there or was a grad assistant there for a couple of years 30 years ago when determining that Iowa is his dream job.
You mean like Kirby Smart to Georgia?
Mike Elko to Texas AM?
Jim Harbaugh and Michigan?
John Sumrall to Troy?
Urban Meyer leaving Florida powerhouse for Ohio St?
Shane Beamer to South Carolina?
Scott Frost bouncing to Nebraska?
Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon for Miami?

No

The are being run by a lady interim athletic director. They ain't trying to run some secret backchannel shit like this.

And if your Stoops and going to accept the A&M job you turn it down over secret promises by an interim of something MAYBE happening!?!?!

Nothing like this happened. Stoops turned down a&m.......or told them he wasn't interested any longer before getting an offer......and he did it for non Iowa reasons.

Reactions: grevey35
At this point I’d think it’s likely he’d take Iowa if it’s offered. Doesn’t seem like he wants to be here that badly. That said I think Ferentz will be back so doesn’t matter.

You mean like Kirby Smart to Georgia?
Mike Elko to Texas AM?
Jim Harbaugh and Michigan?
John Sumrall to Troy?
Urban Meyer leaving Florida powerhouse for Ohio St?
Shane Beamer to South Carolina?
Scott Frost bouncing to Nebraska?
Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon for Miami?
Kirby: OC for Bama to HC of Georgia
Elko: HC for Duke to HC for A&M
Harbaugh: Fired from 49ers to HC for Michigan
Sumrall: DC for UK to HC for Troy
Meyer: Left Florida and went to HC of OH St 1 year later
Beamer: Asst Coach for OK to HC for So Carolina
Frost: HC for UCF to HC for Nebraska
Cristobal: HC for Oregon to HC for Miami

Out of all of those the only one that could be considered a step down or lateral move is Cristobal. The rest is a step up from one job to another or from being unemployed to a HC job. UK to Iowa is not a step up and I would argue if it is even a lateral move. They made the move because it was a step up as much as it was because it was their alma matter.

Reactions: grevey35
Listen I’m truly not trying to sound negative but if Texas A&M fans completely blew the roof off their state at the thought of him as their coach, a place like Iowa is as good as he’s gonna get.

He doesn’t appear to be someone who’s built to deal with pressure. If I were him I’d retire. He doesn’t need the money.

Iowa’s HC probably will retire after next week and his Son got fired for not averaging 25 a game. Stoops Dad is buried in his Iowa Jersey. Iowa is a lot closer to his kids and the fan base would be happy to get him. Stoops has plateaued at KY and more then likely he won’t sniff 10 wins mainly because he has to many faults as a HC. They offer he is leaving in my opinion.

Kirby: OC for Bama to HC of Georgia
Elko: HC for Duke to HC for A&M
Harbaugh: Fired from 49ers to HC for Michigan
Sumrall: DC for UK to HC for Troy
Meyer: Left Florida and went to HC of OH St 1 year later
Beamer: Asst Coach for OK to HC for So Carolina
Frost: HC for UCF to HC for Nebraska
Cristobal: HC for Oregon to HC for Miami

Out of all of those the only one that could be considered a step down or lateral move is Cristobal. The rest is a step up from one job to another or from being unemployed to a HC job. UK to Iowa is not a step up and I would argue if it is even a lateral move. They made the move because it was a step up as much as it was because it was their alma matter.
Sure - and those are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm not doing a deep dive on it. But of everyone I mentioned, let's not pretend those were their only possible destinations. Sumrall didn't ONLY have Troy as an option. Cristobal didn't ONLY have Miami as an option. So yes, for plenty of coaches, familial ties (alma mater, previous coaching, connections to staff, etc) absolutely play a role in many scenarios.

Sure - and those are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm not doing a deep dive on it. But of everyone I mentioned, let's not pretend those were their only possible destinations. Sumrall didn't ONLY have Troy as an option. Cristobal didn't ONLY have Miami as an option. So yes, for plenty of coaches, familial ties (alma mater, previous coaching, connections to staff, etc) absolutely play a role in many scenarios.
It plays a role if it's a better job but to take a step down for those reason doesn't happen often and didn't happen in any of those instances you quoted with the possible exception of Cristobal. I don't know who was in the running for his services but you couldn't convince me Sumrall took Troy because he is from Alabama and was an Assistant Coach there over a bigger and better job that was on the table.

Stoops has been here 11 years and has an SEC win percent of 36%. I can see why aTm fans balked.

You guys put a lot of weight on the fact he went to school there or was a grad assistant there for a couple of years 30 years ago when determining that Iowa is his dream job.
His Brother's Mike and Bob both went there as well. Wasn't his dad buried with an Iowa Jersey? Lots of family ties to that program. Too many to write off.

Reactions: KyCatFan
No

The are being run by a lady interim athletic director. They ain't trying to run some secret backchannel shit like this.

And if your Stoops and going to accept the A&M job you turn it down over secret promises by an interim of something MAYBE happening!?!?!

Nothing like this happened. Stoops turned down a&m.......or told them he wasn't interested any longer before getting an offer......and he did it for non Iowa reasons.
Everything is purely speculation. Stoops could have seen the backlash over him going to aTm and backed out because he didn't want to walk into a hostile situation with his back against the wall day 1. He is close to Ferentz and very well could have called him for advice and found out Ferentz might be hanging it up. Any number of scenarios at play here, but regardless, Stoops would be welcomed with open arms at Iowa versus walking into a firing range at aTm.

Reactions: catben

1%? 10 %? 0%
Congratulations. your thread made it on @boardgeniuses

• Haha
Reactions: Father Torque

1%? 10 %? 0%
1. Why would Kirk Ferentz undercut at least two of his assistants on his own staff, both of whom are very viable potential successors at Iowa, by leaking his intention to retire to a potential competitor for a future opening? Is Ferentz that close to Mark Stoops?

2. Why would Stoops turn down an offer at A&M, for a possible chance to succeed Ferentz, when there would still be a full coaching search at Iowa? What guarantee would he have that gets the job over Phil Parker, Levar Woods, Lance Leipold, or a dozen other strong candidates? And is Iowa a better job anyway, than A&M, if you want resources and a recruiting base to potentially build a championship team?

Cms want leave for Iowa I believe he is here to stay I just pray he makes changes in the off season and brings us fans a uptempo style offense you can't win in the sec with the bend don't break and 14 pts a game and hiking it with 2 seconds to go ont game clock

I just don't buy Stoops leaving for Iowa, family alma mater or not. It seems to me your trading one type of issue at UK--NIL relative to your conference peers--for another at Iowa--accessibility to the type of talent you're accustomed. Some will quickly pronounce that his Ohio/Michigan contacts are bolstered with the Big Ten presence, but you really have to import talent at Iowa and ultimately Luke Fickell is going to turn Wisconsin around to compete for the type of player Iowa needs to sustain it's program.

...and maybe it's the old Nebraska fan in me, but I think Matt Ruhle is going to get Nebraska turned around; not to the Tom Osborne level, but certainly at a notch above what Pelini had.

I just don't see Stoops being interested in Iowa. At best a lateral move into the Big 10 netherland. Iowa City vs. Lexington? Please.

I just don't buy Stoops leaving for Iowa, family alma mater or not. It seems to me your trading one type of issue at UK--NIL relative to your conference peers--for another at Iowa--accessibility to the type of talent you're accustomed. Some will quickly pronounce that his Ohio/Michigan contacts are bolstered with the Big Ten presence, but you really have to import talent at Iowa and ultimately Luke Fickell is going to turn Wisconsin around to compete for the type of player Iowa needs to sustain it's program.

...and maybe it's the old Nebraska fan in me, but I think Matt Ruhle is going to get Nebraska turned around; not to the Tom Osborne level, but certainly at a notch above what Pelini had.
Pelini won at least 9 games every year he was at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT