ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops and his Recruiting Efforts!

Jeff Drummond‏@JDrumUK 5h5 hours ago
This group of 2016 UK commits are ridiculous from the "look test." Like old sign at amusement park: Must be this tall to ride.

With the camps underway now in Lexington, we might see another commitment or 2 this month. With 10 of the 16 current commitments being from offensive players, should see a heavy emphasis on defenders in the rest of this class. Also need a new punter to replace Foster when he graduates.

I am very impressed with his O-Linemen recruits/Athletes. I see where most of his 4-star recruits are rolling up and starting. Especially with his 2014 efforts...10 4-stars wow! He has several very talented Defensive recruits that are now starting with experience. If all those O-Linemen produce and keep Towles jersey clean and his mobility this year I see major improvement and a good bowl game. Looks like a 7-5 season or better!

^^^Who's his?^^^
Coach Stoops first UK class will be juniors this fall. From what I watched in Spring game/ scrimmage we will be improved across the board this fall but think breakout year will be 2016.
Future recruits in CATS Camp yesterday are very talented, best ever I think!
Tell me cardstud1, what's a LPT and a Zipp? Dubious of your number dual CATS/Card fans.

Missouri lost some major pieces from last years team, this year we're at home with more experience and talent. I see this one as a win. In fact,in the first 5 games I see us at 4-1 or 3-2 at worst. Then beating either Miss St or UL is a must. I really do see us in a bowl this year. I sure hope so, if we get to a bowl, recruiting gets even better, if we don't, I'm afraid it will stall. This is a very pivotal year.

Missouri lost some major pieces from last years team, this year we're at home with more experience and talent. I see this one as a win. In fact,in the first 5 games I see us at 4-1 or 3-2 at worst. Then beating either Miss St or UL is a must. I really do see us in a bowl this year. I sure hope so, if we get to a bowl, recruiting gets even better, if we don't, I'm afraid it will stall. This is a very pivotal year.

I never under stand how people in the SEC underestimate Missouri...they lose key pieces every year....from the 2013 to 2014 Season they lost Kony Ealy, Michael Sam and DGB from 2013 and still won the 2014 SEC East with Markus Golden and Shane Ray...The Tigers usually have "Recruiting Classes" in the 30s yet Gary Pickel usually has replacements.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled by the obvious UL Troll CharlestownCat.

I just don't understand how you think Missouri is an easier win game than MSST. Missouri lost a couple of top defensive guys, but they return a 1000 yard rusher, a qb who is inconsistent but he led them to the east title last year, a couple of receivers and some OL starters while State lost everyone, something like 20 of 22 starters. They lost every receiver they had in 13, their top rusher, their top 3 DL and again won the East. Missouri has the same plan in place that Stoops is trying to get going at UK, RSing everyone and when he loses someone he inserts a RS Jr instead of a true soph. On the other hand, State's pass defense was bad last year and they are replacing all of them, replacing all DL but one and offensively they lost everyone but Dak. Most overrated team in the country last year and lost 3 of last 4 games. I think its a more winnable game than SC, Missouri or UF for UK. I was pretty high on them last year because they were such an old and experienced team, that won't be the case this year.

I just don't understand how you think Missouri is an easier win game than MSST. Missouri lost a couple of top defensive guys, but they return a 1000 yard rusher, a qb who is inconsistent but he led them to the east title last year, a couple of receivers and some OL starters while State lost everyone, something like 20 of 22 starters. They lost every receiver they had in 13, their top rusher, their top 3 DL and again won the East. Missouri has the same plan in place that Stoops is trying to get going at UK, RSing everyone and when he loses someone he inserts a RS Jr instead of a true soph. On the other hand, State's pass defense was bad last year and they are replacing all of them, replacing all DL but one and offensively they lost everyone but Dak. Most overrated team in the country last year and lost 3 of last 4 games. I think its a more winnable game than SC, Missouri or UF for UK. I was pretty high on them last year because they were such an old and experienced team, that won't be the case this year.

I didn't say it was easier. I said I think it is vitally important and since we're at home, very winnable.

I didn't say it was easier. I said I think it is vitally important and since we're at home, very winnable.

Maybe so, but you will be facing a much better team in Missouri at home than State on the road, I think you beat State by 10+, Missouri will be a tough win, we beat them twice there and lost at home to them.

Winning recruiting battles is great, but winning on the field is all that matters. This staff crapped the bed the second half of last year, and had some embarrassing losses. The wheels came off and they were unable to put them back on. So until they prove that they can actually beat someone they're not supposed to, the jury is still out.

We lost a 1st round draft pick that is arguably the best defensive player we've had in over a decade. We lost another 4th rounder that was very solid. We lost our starting Safety. Our OL wasnt very good last year and still is a question mark. And Towles played mediocre at best the second half of last season.

7 wins? I don't see it. I think 4-5 wins is more realistic.

vs ULL (win)
@ South Carolina (loss)
Florida (loss)
Missouri (loss)
EKU (win)
Auburn (loss)
@ MSU (toss up...win)
UT (loss)
@ UGA (loss)
@ Vandy (win)
Charlotte (win)
UL (loss)

We won 5 last year and we have clearly improved. Also we have 8 games at home you think that is going to add up to a 1 or 2 game regression? Absolutely no reason we can't beat UL. We are at minimum on par with them now if not ahead. Missouri lost a ton and the game is in lexington this year. That is atleast a 50/50 win for UK as is South Carolina. We also have serious shots at both Florida and MSU. I see no reason to believe that only 4 wins is more realistic. 7 is looks very doable.

Every year you win and lose some "toss up" games.
Then fans say "we were two plays away..."
That's why they are "toss ups".... you will win some and lose some. Very rarely do you lose all the toss ups (coach will get fired) or win them all (coach moves up food chain)

True you rarely win all your toss up games or rarely lose them all. You should win about 50% of them. We did about that last year. I had our toss up games as Vandy, South Carolina, and Miss State. Miss State ended up not being such a toss up. Still we won 1 of the 3 and came close to 2 teams that shouldn't have been toss ups. That was on par with my pick last year of 5 wins.

While we will still won about half the toss up games the difference this year is that we have more of them now. Florida, UL, Miss State and Missouri are all legit toss ups. Also Vandy should move out of the toss up and into the solid win category. THat means we have 4 solid wins and 4 more tossups which if we have a typical year we win at least 2 of those. That makes 6 wins very realistic. The better news is that 3 of those toss ups are in Lexington.

Also the 2 plays away comment was in response to the stupid post above that it was unrealistic to expect more than 4 wins. It was actually realistic that it could have happened last year. Auburn and Georgia are the only teams on the schedule that it is totally unrealistic for us to expect to win. Other teams like Missouri might be favored but it would not be a shocking upset for us to win.

Auburn and Grorgia are winnable. In fact, all our games this year are winnable. There are simply varying degrees of preparation, skill, teamwork, coaching, execution and the ball bouncing our way occasionally to make it happen. And, everyone has to believe.

Well, they only won by ten and I'd say we'll be more improved than they are, and we're at home. We really have to beat them. This was for grumpyolddawg.

We won 5 last year and we have clearly improved.

Absolutely no reason we can't beat UL. We are at minimum on par with them now if not ahead. Missouri lost a ton and the game is in lexington this year.

We also have serious shots at both Florida and MSU.

Exactly how do you figure we "have clearly improved"? we lost 6 straight games to end the season, by an average margin of 22 points. We didn't beat anyone of significance last year, including South Carolina.

And how do you conclude we're on par with UL? Because we played them within 4 points last year? In case you forgot (which I doubt - I think it's more you're just delusional)...they outscored us 44-27 after we were up 13-0, and did so with their 3rd string QB throwing for nearly 400 yards. That's after they turned it over 5 times and still won. So how in the hell can you sit there with a straight face and say we're on par with them? They've won 8 out of the last 12 and 4 straight. Those are the facts - not BS or pipe dreams. We may be recruiting better, but it doesn't matter unless we actually beat their asses.

Regarding MSU and UF. I'll give you MSU. I counted that game as a toss up in my earlier post. Jesus, if we don't beat them this year, after they lost like 18 starters, then we might as well give up. Florida? They were a dumpster fire last year with Muschump there. I suspect they will be significantly improved this year and beat us for the 29th straight year.

I honestly don't know how some of you all do it. Talk trash and make outlandish predictions every offseason, when there is absolutely nothing that warrants it. It would be different if we didn't lose 6 straight...or we beat MSU, UF, or UL, or we were competitive against LSU, UGA & UT. I would be on here agreeing that we can win 7 games this year. But we didn't and we weren't. And we lost some really good players as well. But we're somehow going to be vastly improved this year? Because we're playing at home? Ok....

What happens when we lose to South Carolina, UF & Mizzou and CWS is half empty for the rest of our home games? Suddenly playing at home doesn't give us an advantage anymore.

Charlestowncat is as negative towards UK football as any poster out here. I guarantee on Saturdays he will be in his house openly rooting against Kentucky. He probably hates the fact that UK is actually trying to improve the football program because it might take away from press coverage of what Cal is having for breakfast in the offseason.

Well, Charlestowncat, all I can say is "wow." You have to be inciting reactions to comments meant to be inflammatory. Clearly, you are entitled to your opinion. And, that you have stated.

Exactly how do you figure we "have clearly improved"? For f**ks sake, we lost 6 straight games to end the season, by an average margin of 22 points. We didn't beat anyone of significance last year, including South Carolina.

And how do you conclude we're on par with UL? Because we played them within 4 points last year? In case you forgot (which I doubt - I think it's more you're just delusional)...they outscored us 44-27 after we were up 13-0, and did so with their 3rd string QB throwing for nearly 400 yards. That's after they turned it over 5 times and still won. So how in the hell can you sit there with a straight face and say we're on par with them? They've won 8 out of the last 12 and 4 straight. Those are the facts - not BS or pipe dreams. We may be recruiting better, but it doesn't matter unless we actually beat their asses.

Regarding MSU and UF. I'll give you MSU. I counted that game as a toss up in my earlier post. Jesus, if we don't beat them this year, after they lost like 18 starters, then we might as well give up. Florida? They were a dumpster fire last year with Muschump there. I suspect they will be significantly improved this year and beat us for the 29th straight year.

I honestly don't know how some of you all do it. Talk trash and make outlandish predictions every offseason, when there is absolutely nothing that warrants it. It would be different if we didn't lose 6 straight...or we beat MSU, UF, or UL, or we were competitive against LSU, UGA & UT. I would be on here agreeing that we can win 7 games this year. But we didn't and we weren't. And we lost some really good players as well. But we're somehow going to be vastly improved this year? Because we're playing at home? Ok....

What happens when we lose to South Carolina, UF & Mizzou and CWS is half empty for the rest of our home games? Suddenly playing at home doesn't give us an advantage anymore.
if you're a glass half empty guy then everything you said is true. but what that evaluation leaves out is the fact that we were really really thin in several spots on both sides of the ball. we had true freshmen starting at wr. we had true freshmen starting at rb. we had rs freshmen and injured upperclassmen playing on the oline. towles was making his debut as a starter. lewis, johnson, flannigan, and stamps were all jucos making their debut in the sec. elam was backing up lewis as a true freshman.

i predicted 6 wins last years with 5 if things went bad and 7 if things went good. well we ended up at 5 and i think we would all agree a few things went against us in a few games that could of pulled victory to our side. i love how you state that ul turned it over 5 times as though we had nothing to do with turning them over. that bye week got our legs fresh and i believe showed what this team more realistically looked like without the gauntlet they faced from florida on.

the first few games our D looked pretty good (not great) but pretty darn good considering both our ilb'ers had as much college experience at that position as you and I. we have more depth at lb'er this year with some talented rs's. we have more depth at NT this year with elam being in better condition and hyde being able to be a 3rd guy to provide some snaps. we have 3 guys at each of the other 2 dline spots that have the talent, size, and motor to be effective. we have very athletic cb's coming in that will either beat out the veterans or the veterans will improve enough to hold on. we 2 of the most talented rs freshman safeties we've ever had at this school and they may not start... or even play at safety because of how well that spot is developing.

badet and montgomery sat out last year and were arguably 2 of the 4 best receivers on the team last year. towles has a boatload of film he can watch with a coach saying " dont do that" or "that looks good".

Exactly how do you figure we "have clearly improved"? For f**ks sake, we lost 6 straight games to end the season, by an average margin of 22 points. We didn't beat anyone of significance last year, including South Carolina.

Wow. Just wow. I can now say I have met the most clueless person in the world on football. I thought UL fans talking about how they would destroy Bama were delusional but you just beat them. I have never seen anyone type 5 paragraphs and fail to make a single legitimate point until now. Home field isn't an advantage? Really? How many years have you watched sports? There is no legit proof that we will be better but yet you somehow accept that Florida will be, in the first year of a new regime no less. You acknowledge MSU as a toss up even though they may have the player of the year coming back but yet South Carolina isn't even though we beat them. I would have given you credit for the USC game being different this year because it is on the road but I forgot you don't think that matters.

The points about the UL game were even worse. Points scored during the 4 quarters count. You can't just throw out the 1st quarter because we out scored them there. If anything you would be saying that we should have had a bigger lead. And turnovers are part of the game or do you not credit the defense for forcing them. You seem to be giving UL credit for the wins they have over us when they force turnovers don't you. Let's not forget the year before we only lost by 13 and we fumbled on the 1 yard line and threw a pick in the end zone. But I guess those were just UL's superior talent huh? Also we played them close in 2 straight years now and could have won both. And those were when UL was at their peak and we were rebuilding. That's reversed now. The player that racked up 300 of those yards UL got won't be playing for them this year. Our best players still will be.

Also this 8 of the last 12 thing is always crap. Always be wary of people making points like this because people break those numbers off where it suits their argument. UK won the 3 games before that so why didn't you say they've won 8 of the last 15? Well I guess that would sound too competitive huh. Regardless of how you card fans want to twist the argument the series between UK and UL goes in streaks. UK goes on a 2 year streak then UL goes on one. UK goes on a 4 year streak then UL does. It's been that way since the series started and there is little reason to believe it will ever be any different. 4 years ago UK was coming of a 4 win streak in the series and UK fans were saying UL wasn't competitive with us anymore. One thing I do know is that Joker is no longer recruiting for UK and UL is running out of Clint Hurt's recruits.

If optimism about our team bothers you or if you don't understand what improvement looks like then stop reading these threads. Nobody on here is making outlandish predictions. Last year I predicted 5 wins and that's what we got. If you don't like hearing talk about improvement then go read the UL boards where they clearly never make outlandish predictions.

Let's not forget the year before we only lost by 13. Only lost by 13...do you know how pathetic that sounds? Only lost by 13. Unbelievable.

Also we played them close in 2 straight years now and could have won both. Moral victories...great. Where's the trophy for those? We need to WIN, period. Not get close. Not almost. WIN.

And those were when UL was at their peak and we were rebuilding. I wouldn't say playing a 3rd string QB is peaking, but let's go with that...

That's reversed now. How do you figure? What proof of this do you have? We're 6 months removed from being outscored 44-27 with their 3rd string QB behind center, but I'm supposed to believe things have reversed now because TBCat feels it. I know where you're going with this. They lost a ton of players to the draft, right? Well guess what...they still played a ton of guys that didn't get drafted and they're coming back. I'm not buying into pre-season hype anymore until we freakin' beat them. Sorry, been burnt too many times.

The player that racked up 300 of those yards UL got won't be playing for them this year. Our best players still will be. That guy that racked up 380+ yards against us in 3 quarters is still there. And if he doesn't play, then what does that tell you about the guy that does? How anyone can think this works in our favor, is beyond me. And how do we lose Dupree, Smith, and Stamps but our best players "will be"? Please enlighten me.

There's a difference between optimism and delusion.

Where did Stamps go?

You may want to familiarize yourself with the roster....it's not delusional to see the positives with the young guys coming in more experienced and recognizing we are building some depth( with talent) but have a ways to go.

And how do you conclude we're on par with UL? Because we played them within 4 points last year? In case you forgot (which I doubt - I think it's more you're just delusional)...they outscored us 44-27 after we were up 13-0, and did so with their 3rd string QB throwing for nearly 400 yards. That's after they turned it over 5 times and still won. So how in the hell can you sit there with a straight face and say we're on par with them?

So South Carolina doesn't count because we beat them? The trend with UL is that this game will be a toss, no other way to look at it...they outscored us 44-27 after we outscored them 13-0, OK...that's how sports work, the game was 44-40...don't cherry pick the ebbs and flows to try and make an argument. They turned it over 4x...we turned it over 2x (both in 4th quarter)...their turnovers were forced by constant pressure from our DL dominated their OL...their WRs dominated our secondary.

ULs "3rd string" QB started over their "2nd string" QB for the bowl...their "2nd string" QB had starts over their "1st string" QB during the year...so using that is quite silly as well.

They lost what 9 draft picks on a team that beat us by 4 at their place...I'd say calling the teams on par for the upcoming season is fair - although you have to give them extra points for owning the last four games.

I'm thinking you're the type of fan that couldn't name 5 players on each side of the ball for us.

pretty obvious to anyone that we showed significant improvement last year. Also pretty obvious to see that we didn't have the depth to make it through such a terrible schedule. I mean we played 8 games in a row with a limited roster. Had our bye week after week 3, that killed us in the back half of the schedule. Stoops has said as much. We came 2 missed interceptions away from beating Florida and UL on the road. 2 easy interceptions I might add.

Schedule this year is a bit more manageable.

False. Cardstud is the troll, Charlestown Cat is a typical basketball first, foremost and always UK (basketball) fan...

As I said earlier I am a UL Graduate and a Card fan now, but in forgone years in the UK past I was a Rabid UK fan. My fandom for UK previously started in the Coach Curci days, thru Jerry Claiborne years, thru Coach Curry and Coach Hal Mumme. I like UK and have always done so. MY Dad is true blue Wildcat fan and has season seating for years at 85 years of age

I believe Stoops is as good of a recruiting HC as there is in the SEC. His classes do not rank #1, but I would contend UK's history, both football and basketball, and facilities (when he arrived) make UK one of the hardest places to sell.

As I said earlier I am a UL Graduate and a Card fan now, but in forgone years in the UK past I was a Rabid UK fan. My fandom for UK previously started in the Coach Curci days, thru Jerry Claiborne years, thru Coach Curry and Coach Hal Mumme. I like UK and have always done so. MY Dad is true blue Wildcat fan and has season seating for years at 85 years of age

This post doesn't make sense. Just because you went to UL doesn't mean you should be a fan. Do what most other directional in state Ky schools do and cheer for the home state.

Support your state!

This post doesn't make sense. Just because you went to UL doesn't mean you should be a fan. Do what most other directional in state Ky schools do and cheer for the home state.

Support your state!
Fairweather fan. UL has been winning and UK has not for most of the last 20 years. I live in Louisville and see it a lot. When Pitino got hired a bunch of UK fans started rooting for both and slowly trended more towards UL. with their success in football it was easy for casual fans to pull for the local team when the rabid ul fans made it hard to live around here for several years. This guy probably likes the pats now too.

Fairweather fan. UL has been winning and UK has not for most of the last 20 years. I live in Louisville and see it a lot. When Pitino got hired a bunch of UK fans started rooting for both and slowly trended more towards UL. with their success in football it was easy for casual fans to pull for the local team when the rabid ul fans made it hard to live around here for several years. This guy probably likes the pats now too.

I live in Louisville and have no UK friends who so migrated. I have friends who hate Pitino and friends who respect him, but none have decided to cheer for UL. I am not sure your acquaintances are a representative sample.

To cardstud it is. For instance. Had friends who sported ul gear the last few years exclusively but as the Cats approached 30 and 0 they started wearing UK gear again. They are not fans as you and u are. They just like to watch the game and use it as a social event so if they moved to Colorado they'd be broncos and rockys fans.

It's by no means a majority but it is neasureable. UK dominated the market during pitinos stint at UK. Something like 65% of the city of Louisville identified as UK fans. The last such report I saw was 55 to 45 favoring ul. Granted a lot of the new fans weren't around on that first # but the point still stands.

Well, they only won by ten and I'd say we'll be more improved than they are, and we're at home. We really have to beat them. This was for grumpyolddawg.

Not saying I am right, but Pickel has the exact program in place Stoops is trying to get going at UK. He is replacing lost pieces of the puzzle with 4th Jr and 5th year sr, They are returning almost all their rushing offense plus return their best OLmen. They replaced their entire receiving corp in 14 and still had a productive year. He has a good program and a good system in place, it looks like one Stoops is trying to follow at UK by redshirting as many as he possibly can every year. Right now with not seeing either team this year and knowing what each has coming back I think Missouri wins the game. But with MSST, knowing what they lost compared to what UK lost in the same position of picking a winner before either plays I pick UK to win. I think State struggles bigtime this season and could go winless in the SEC,

Not saying I am right, but Pickel has the exact program in place Stoops is trying to get going at UK. He is replacing lost pieces of the puzzle with 4th Jr and 5th year sr, They are returning almost all their rushing offense plus return their best OLmen. They replaced their entire receiving corp in 14 and still had a productive year. He has a good program and a good system in place, it looks like one Stoops is trying to follow at UK by redshirting as many as he possibly can every year. Right now with not seeing either team this year and knowing what each has coming back I think Missouri wins the game. But with MSST, knowing what they lost compared to what UK lost in the same position of picking a winner before either plays I pick UK to win. I think State struggles bigtime this season and could go winless in the SEC,
pickle-clipart-pickle-pickles-27629021-500-447.jpg

Regarding fandom, I am a Louisville fan with degrees from both schools, and a wife who is all big blue. I like to tell people that I root for both schools, but it really isn't true. I suppose there are folks who are honestly fans of both schools, but it's a big rivalry, and I doubt any of those folks are on the message boards. I could be wrong!

Regarding fandom, I am a Louisville fan with degrees from both schools, and a wife who is all big blue. I like to tell people that I root for both schools, but it really isn't true. I suppose there are folks who are honestly fans of both schools, but it's a big rivalry, and I doubt any of those folks are on the message boards. I could be wrong!

So how do you make your mixed marriage work? :smiley:

My wife loves me. I know not why ( but it is not due to a giant pickle). Kentucky is going to be better this year, but the big question is how are the opponents going to be. Florida, South Carolina, and Vandy were way down last year. Can't count on that to continue forever...

I don't really cheer for Louisville, but I do root for them in the same way I root for all the other directional schools in KY, except when they play UK. I've just never really considered them much of a rival. Kentucky is always supposed to win, so when they don't, it's embarrassing. That's not much of a rivalry to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT