ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops ain’t got a slingshot in him

He’s the most spineless coach I’ve ever seen. Not even hyperbole. It’s embarrassing. The national reactions were humiliating, too. I might feel differently if last night was a one-off. But, it’s the norm. He lives in his fears & takes the safest route possible, every time. He is terrified.

Even in a game against the #1 team in the country. A game that nobody expected us to win. We had NOTHING to lose & most coaches would’ve thrown the kitchen sink at UGA, in that situation. But, not Stoops.

And, he’s a little old to go thru a spinal transplant. So, nothing will ever change. Not that I had any hope of that. He is what he is. We’ve watched this bs for 12 stinking years. And, I’ve had all I can stand. I want a coach who will do whatever it takes to win. Someone with a sack, who will actually take risks, occasionally, & isn’t satisfied with moral victories.

He’s the most spineless coach I’ve ever seen. Not even hyperbole. It’s embarrassing. The national reactions were humiliating, too. I might feel differently if last night was a one-off. But, it’s the norm. He lives in his fears & takes the safest route possible, every time. He is terrified.

Even in a game against the #1 team in the country. A game that nobody expected us to win. We had NOTHING to lose & most coaches would’ve thrown the kitchen sink at UGA, in that situation. But, not Stoops.

And, he’s a little old to go thru a spinal transplant. So, nothing will ever change. Not that I had any hope of that. He is what he is. We’ve watched this bs for 12 stinking years. And, I’ve had all I can stand. I want a coach who will do whatever it takes to win. Someone with a sack, who will actually take risks, occasionally, & isn’t satisfied with moral victories.
And Mitch is too spineless to fire him. What a mess.

You need to spend less time on Twitter. It makes you look a Stoops hater.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You need to spend less time on Twitter. It makes you look a Stoops hater.
I don’t have Twitter & I am an admitted, proud Stoops hater. My post accurately reflects my feelings about him. His playbooks are written in Crayola. He is a giant pu**y. That’s not what I want in a football coach. I’m counting the minutes til he’s somewhere else.

To take down Georgia - you are mandated to go for it on 4th and 8, shoot your shot Right then and there

Football requires risk, and Stoops doesn’t have that in his DNA
It should have never been 4th and 8. The playcalling leading up to that was baffling. UK was having success running the ball. You have to playcall that as if you know you are going to go for it on 4th down. The two low chance pass plays (at least low risk for this QB and coaching staff) put them in a bad spot for 4th down. Rush and get chunks of yards to set up a 4th and managable. Seeing BVG step back deep in the pocket waiting for a pass play to develop was hard to watch.

It should have never been 4th and 8. The playcalling leading up to that was baffling. UK was having success running the ball. You have to playcall that as if you know you are going to go for it on 4th down. The two low chance pass plays (at least low risk for this QB and coaching staff) put them in a bad spot for 4th down. Rush and get chunks of yards to set up a 4th and managable. Seeing BVG step back deep in the pocket waiting for a pass play to develop was hard to watch.
This is what I was screaming too. You need 10-15 yards to be in FG range. You’ve been running the ball well. You had a 2nd and 8…you can’t let that turn into 4th and 8. You have to run it or screen pass on one of 2nd or 3rd and set up a worst case 4th and 3 type situation

What makes you think our offense could pick up 9 yards? It was the right call. 3 and out, we get the ball back with 2’min left and the ball at mid field

I'm wondering if Stoops had gone for the 4th and 8 conversion and failed which would have been by far the most likely outcome, how many geniuses would be on here today pointing out that 3 minutes and 3 TOs plus the 2 minute TO is an eternity in football and plenty of time to get the ball back and move it into field goal range?

@Deeeefense I had a problem with the play calls on 2nd & 3rd down, too (among several others), Copernicus. Shouldn’t have been in a 4th & 8 situation to begin with. But, they were on the UGA 47 & only needed 12-15 yards to get in FG range. You have to take chances to pull off an upset over a team like UGA. If you don’t trust BV to get us 12 yards, how can you trust him to lead a last minute, game winning drive of 50 yards in 2 minutes?!

Say we punt & stop them with a 3 & out. A decent punt from them & we would’ve had to go something like 40-50 yards in 2 minutes or less, with maybe 1 TO, against one of the best defenses in the country, who knows we’ll be passing, with a one-read, shaky QB making his 3rd ever start for a team that hasn’t scored a TD in 2 games. I’d take my chances getting the 12 yards on 4th down. I doubt we would’ve even made it back to the UGA 47.

ESPN analytics agrees: UK had a 34% chance to win had they gone for it on 4th down & had a 12% chance to win, punting. I guess they’re stupid, too. Plus, you’re punting to a team that has lost 1 game in 3 years. Idk that I’d trust our defense (or any defense) in that situation, regardless of how well they had played.

And, UGA only needed one first down, basically, to ice the game. There was a much better chance that we pick up 12 yards than there was of stopping UGA from gaining 10 with the game on the line. Stoops chose the chickenshit way out once again, whether ppl want to hear it or not. He’s done it for 12 seasons; idk why anyone would be surprised, anyway. But, I would’ve at least respected him for taking a risk & wouldn’t have been mad at the decision had it failed.

@Deeeefense I had a problem with the play calls on 2nd & 3rd down, too (among several others), Copernicus. Shouldn’t have been in a 4th & 8 situation to begin with. But, they were on the UGA 47 & only needed 12-15 yards to get in FG range. You have to take chances to pull off an upset over a team like UGA. If you don’t trust BV to get us 12 yards, how can you trust him to lead a last minute, game winning drive of 50 yards in 2 minutes?!

Say we punt & stop them with a 3 & out. A decent punt from them & we would’ve had to go something like 40-50 yards in 2 minutes or less, with maybe 1 TO, against one of the best defenses in the country, who knows we’ll be passing, with a one-read, shaky QB making his 3rd ever start for a team that hasn’t scored a TD in 2 games. I’d take my chances getting the 12 yards on 4th down. I doubt we would’ve even made it back to the UGA 47.

ESPN analytics agrees: UK had a 34% chance to win had they gone for it on 4th down & had a 12% chance to win, punting. I guess they’re stupid, too. Plus, you’re punting to a team that has lost 1 game in 3 years. Idk that I’d trust our defense (or any defense) in that situation, regardless of how well they had played.

And, UGA only needed one first down, basically, to ice the game. There was a much better chance that we pick up 12 yards than there was of stopping UGA from gaining 10 with the game on the line. Stoops chose the chickenshit way out once again, whether ppl want to hear it or not. He’s done it for 12 seasons; idk why anyone would be surprised, anyway. But, I would’ve at least respected him for taking a risk & wouldn’t have been mad at the decision had it failed.
Actually the situation was 4th and 8, the ST unit was the one that picked up the 5 yard penalty so I don't count that.
I saw the 34% chance to convert stat mention on twitter also but I can't find it on ESPN web site. I did run the question by CHAT GPT and here is what it returned:

The success rate for converting a 4th down and 8 situation to a first down in Power Five college football is relatively low, as it's considered a challenging scenario due to the distance needed to achieve a new set of downs.

Estimated Success Rate:​

• 4th and Long Situations: For a 4th down and 8 yards to go, the conversion success rate is typically around 20-30%. This rate can vary depending on various factors like the team's offensive strength, the defensive strategy of the opponent, field position, and game situation (e.g., whether the team is playing from behind).

Factors Influencing the Success Rate:​

1. Offensive Play Style: Teams with a strong passing game or more aggressive play-calling tendencies may have slightly higher conversion rates.
  2. Defensive Matchup: The quality and style of the defense (e.g., whether they are good at preventing short passes or runs) also significantly affect conversion rates.
  3. Game Context: Situational factors such as weather, crowd noise, and field position can influence the likelihood of converting on 4th down.

Summary:​

While there isn't a single, definitive percentage for all Power Five teams, the estimated success rate for converting a 4th and 8 situation is around 20-30%. It's considered a relatively low-percentage play, which is why teams often choose to punt or attempt a field goal in these situations, depending on field position and game circumstances.
=====================================================================================

But that is for an average team, UGA has the #1 ranked defense in college football and had only allowed 6 points total for the 2 previous games this season, so you would have to believe that the probability of success against that defense would have been substantially less than the 20-30% figure returned here. I'm thinking more like 10, especially since they knew we would have to pass to get that much yardage and we had not have much success at all passing against them. I'm not sure how you could measure the success rate of the punt option since there are too many variable - time on clock, times outs, position on field etc.

I agree with you that they should have ran on pervious downs. We were averaging 5 yards a pop. Our O-line and backs were do a great job in the run game.

As I have mentioned elsewhere a field goal attempt from that spot would have been 64 yards. Jacob Kauwe can kick them that distance in practice under pressure. That might have been an option for them.

Actually the situation was 4th and 8, the ST unit was the one that picked up the 5 yard penalty so I don't count that.
I saw the 34% chance to convert stat mention on twitter also but I can't find it on ESPN web site. I did run the question by CHAT GPT and here is what it returned:

The success rate for converting a 4th down and 8 situation to a first down in Power Five college football is relatively low, as it's considered a challenging scenario due to the distance needed to achieve a new set of downs.

Estimated Success Rate:​

• 4th and Long Situations: For a 4th down and 8 yards to go, the conversion success rate is typically around 20-30%. This rate can vary depending on various factors like the team's offensive strength, the defensive strategy of the opponent, field position, and game situation (e.g., whether the team is playing from behind).

Factors Influencing the Success Rate:​

1. Offensive Play Style: Teams with a strong passing game or more aggressive play-calling tendencies may have slightly higher conversion rates.
  2. Defensive Matchup: The quality and style of the defense (e.g., whether they are good at preventing short passes or runs) also significantly affect conversion rates.
  3. Game Context: Situational factors such as weather, crowd noise, and field position can influence the likelihood of converting on 4th down.

Summary:​

While there isn't a single, definitive percentage for all Power Five teams, the estimated success rate for converting a 4th and 8 situation is around 20-30%. It's considered a relatively low-percentage play, which is why teams often choose to punt or attempt a field goal in these situations, depending on field position and game circumstances.
=====================================================================================

But that is for an average team, UGA has the #1 ranked defense in college football and had only allowed 6 points total for the 2 previous games this season, so you would have to believe that the probability of success against that defense would have been substantially less than the 20-30% figure returned here. I'm thinking more like 10, especially since they knew we would have to pass to get that much yardage and we had not have much success at all passing against them. I'm not sure how you could measure the success rate of the punt option since there are too many variable - time on clock, times outs, position on field etc.

I agree with you that they should have ran on pervious downs. We were averaging 5 yards a pop. Our O-line and backs were do a great job in the run game.

As I have mentioned elsewhere a field goal attempt from that spot would have been 64 yards. Jacob Kauwe can kick them that distance in practice under pressure. That might have been an option for them.
I said it was 4th & 8. I think the confusion is coming from my mentioning 12 yards. I meant we needed 12 yards to get into FG range. I just think that 4th down was our shot. I agree that it would’ve been difficult with UGA knowing that we had to throw it. But, they would’ve known we’d be throwing every down on an ensuing drive, too.

And, IMO, it would’ve been asking a lot of BV to lead a frantic 2 minute drive against a defense like UGA. He doesn’t seem comfortable in hurry up scenarios, either. And, he’s never been in that position at the college level. I don’t think we would’ve made it back across midfield, honestly. UGA’s defense is elite & our offense…isn’t. We haven’t scored a TD in 2 games & that’s just not the offense that I would trust to go 40+ yards in 2 minutes, against that defense.

And, again, UGA has won 2 of the last 3 National Championships & knows how to finish games. And, they will actually pass in that situation to move the chains. As well as we had played defensively, it’s a tall order forcing a team like that into a 3 & out, at that point. And, that had to happen for us to have a chance.

We were one play away on that 4th down. I’m a believer in taking the shot when you have it bc there’s no guarantee you’ll get a 2nd chance. You just can’t punt to a team that good with 3 minutes left when you’re on their side of the 50. You not only have to force them into a 3 & out, but, you also have to then drive the field against their defense. It’s just not feasible, IMO, without a damn good, poised QB & consistent play-makers. And, also, I don’t trust the play calling at any point in a game, but, especially not in crunch time.

Nobody expected us to be within 3 TDs of UGA. We had NOTHING to lose. And, this isn’t the first time it’s happened. I probably wouldn’t be so frustrated by the decision if he had a history of being aggressive, or, successful end of half/game drives. But, it was just another in a long line of losing games by playing not to lose. And, I’m sick of seeing it.

What makes you think our offense could pick up 9 yards? It was the right call. 3 and out, we get the ball back with 2’min left and the ball at mid field
If there was a good chance of a 3 and out maybe, but UGA had clearly started figuring out hie to attack us and we were leaking oil late on defense so 3 and out was not likely.

Here’s the other reason I always go for it. If you go for it you give your self both chances, one if you make it and another if you don’t and still stop them 3 and out on their possession. Have a little longer to go but still have both chances.

If you punt it you just have the one chance. So for all those reasons I’m not going to vol untarily give up one of those chances by handing the ball back to them.

You either play to win the game or hope to win a game

The first sometimes wins, the latter rarely happens

Stoops is the latter

Reducing your win rate from 34 to 12 is just feeble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT