ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Hey all, I'm looking at getting into some trading just to have some fun and hopefully make some money doing it. What is/are the best mobile apps? Best investors to follow on Twitter for tips or tricks? Any good startup investments to get my feet wet? Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope everyone is having a great successful day.

Hey all, I'm looking at getting into some trading just to have some fun and hopefully make some money doing it. What is/are the best mobile apps? Best investors to follow on Twitter for tips or tricks? Any good startup investments to get my feet wet? Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope everyone is having a great successful day.

99% of my investments is through Fidelity.......mainly because it's where my work 401k started. I recommend this first. Or go with whatever your work accounts are in. Almost everyone has an app these days.

I also have Robinhood and Webull accounts that I opened up to capture the free stock benefits.....and to buy cryptocurrency. Robinhood is very widely used, but it's been a very rocky road over the last yr or two. I'd probably go with Webull between the two.

For starters, I would keep it simple. Identify your risk aversion, then start with a couple of good funds. S&P500 index funds are decent (SPY, IVV, VOO) but you don't want to be too exposed to indexes. You might look into some dividend funds.....VYM as well. Use funds to get the hang of things while you educate yourself about the market in general......it's ups/downs......it's cycles......the who, what, when, where, why? Then eventually start to get into individual stocks.

Then, 10 yrs from now, make sure to kick yourself hard for not putting in more money in the first place......

.....or maybe that was just me.....

Then, 10 yrs from now, make sure to kick yourself hard for not putting in more money in the first place......

Definitely not just you.

Anyone else hating the fact they didn't jump on the AMC train back when it was around $9 a share a few months ago? It's gone over $65 today. I honestly thought the people throwing money at it were nuts. Guess they're the ones laughing today.

Started a custodial account for my teenager a month or so ago, and today I got to inform him that he has received and reinvested his first dividend. It was $3.53. This was his response...

192601684_10159284385295502_8784330559584200172_n.jpg

Go back a few pages. If unsuccessful, keep going backwards and it's all there.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

I can't give you any stock advice that dozens of other posters here couldn't give you better.

But my advice is more from a psycological standpoint, and at risk of sounding cheesy, you just have to do it. Take $50-100 bucks, and spread it around, even if it's just companies you like. It will force you to check in on things, watch the stocks, see how they do. It gets you involved. Same goes for Crypto... a lot of people are scared of it and are apprehensive. But you gotta make the jump at some point or else you'll just be waiting. And $50 to $100? Who cares, if you lose it all think of it like buying two bottles of Bourbon..

I have been at this awhile ... I have an account with an advisor, a Fidelity account, a Webull account and a Robinhood account. For personal day trading purposes, I like Webull the best. Robinhood is user friendly and easy on the eye for someone who is just getting started so it works, but once you learn how to trade, Webull is a better tool to use. In addition, you need to make decisions about whether you want to set up IRA, Roth, cash account, etc. There's a lot of decisions and things to think about

I decided to set up a Robinhood account to get the 1 free stock and it gave me OPK. Honestly it's pretty funny considering I work for a Healthcare company. Alright OPK time to start taking care of the elderly and taking off.

CONN popped. Finally. Lost my ass early last year on the issue to shorts and hedge funds. Still own 100 shares. Since they've expanded considerably in FL, I expect increased future earnings.

Mister Car Wash is going public under ticker symbol MCW. 344 locations in 21 states. Firm offers a subscription service. May give a look.

Good luck, everyone.

Reactions: jameslee32
I decided to set up a Robinhood account to get the 1 free stock and it gave me OPK. Honestly it's pretty funny considering I work for a Healthcare company. Alright OPK time to start taking care of the elderly and taking off.

Lol. My free stock was OPK through Robinhood as well. I still have it. It bounces around $3-4 often. It's not worth selling so I just hold on to it.

99% of my investments is through Fidelity.......mainly because it's where my work 401k started. I recommend this first. Or go with whatever your work accounts are in. Almost everyone has an app these days.

I also have Robinhood and Webull accounts that I opened up to capture the free stock benefits.....and to buy cryptocurrency. Robinhood is very widely used, but it's been a very rocky road over the last yr or two. I'd probably go with Webull between the two.

For starters, I would keep it simple. Identify your risk aversion, then start with a couple of good funds. S&P500 index funds are decent (SPY, IVV, VOO) but you don't want to be too exposed to indexes. You might look into some dividend funds.....VYM as well. Use funds to get the hang of things while you educate yourself about the market in general......it's ups/downs......it's cycles......the who, what, when, where, why? Then eventually start to get into individual stocks.

I'll take the other side of one point.

I have no issue with a lot of index exposure. It gives you broad diversification instantly. I'd first look into things like Total Stock Market, Total Bond, Small Cap and S&P 500 index funds.

Definitely not just you.

Anyone else hating the fact they didn't jump on the AMC train back when it was around $9 a share a few months ago? It's gone over $65 today. I honestly thought the people throwing money at it were nuts. Guess they're the ones laughing today.
I think stocks like AMC are get rich quick schemes. The fundamentals of the company are terrible. Of course it could soar to $400/share but I’m not willing to risk it. At least not anything of significance. I worry a lot of people are going to be left holding the bag when reality strikes AMC.

In EV land WKHS has literally been a horse this week as well, up over 50%.

Great learning experience for some that will get burned but to each their own. The big boys included because 40% short interest is just as crazy as massive option leverage investing in such a new business.

Definitely not just you.

That's one my lucky finds. I got a tip from "a guy" and bought in at $9.25.

Definitely not just you.

Got in at 13, 22 and 28. Sold at 38 on 6/1. Back in at 44 on 6/4 AH. If the squeeze happens, hoping to sell at 88 sometime next week. Fingers crossed.

Got in at 13, 22 and 28. Sold at 38 on 6/1. Back in at 44 on 6/4 AH. If the squeeze happens, hoping to sell at 88 sometime next week. Fingers crossed.
AMC 44 is now 55. Sold CLOV at 35% gain and NNDM at modest 14% gain. Holding LOTZ and CCIV as modest gains looking for more. PRPO and NAKD are my trailers.

Last edited:
RIDE on a helluva ride in the past half hour. Down 26%.
I was in over my head in RIDE and WKHS prior to the USPS debacle. At one point in that story I rode them both down to the mid teens and things looked bleak. Fortunately, they rebounded and I got out at 24/25 with minor profit on the last go around.

Lost some sleep over that one.

I was in over my head in RIDE and WKHS prior to the USPS debacle. At one point in that story I rode them both down to the mid teens and things looked bleak. Fortunately, they rebounded and I got out at 24/25 with minor profit on the last go around.

I'm in SPAC hell on a couple of names but not losing any sleep over it. I didn't make a huge bet even if they go to zero. In addition, got a nice gain with another SPAC in SOFI up 51% after today's action.

Reactions: Lamar Card

Damn!!!!

Lordstown Motors says it doesn’t have cash to start commercial production​

The electric-truck startup also says that it has doubts about whether it can continue

• Wow
Damn!!!!

Lordstown Motors says it doesn’t have cash to start commercial production​

The electric-truck startup also says that it has doubts about whether it can continue

Yup, when the 10Q came out it sank like a stone.

Reactions: Lamar Card
I'm in SPAC hell on a couple of names but not losing any sleep over it. I didn't make a huge bet even if they go to zero. In addition, got a nice gain with another SPAC in SOFI up 51% after today's action.

THCB and PSFE for me. Still holding.

It seems like WSB has taken a new turn. New posters are now pumping a multitude of stocks, and many of them don't care about the shorting, they are just trying to make money. It was inevitable. Initially, the goal was to hurt shorters and make some money at the same time.

Still like sporting goods stocks, RBLX cooled, took some profits, but finger on the trigger for it.

Still like sporting goods stocks, RBLX cooled, took some profits, but finger on the trigger for it.
Retail stocks still work but sold a little more M to play with the house's money after a nice triple.

Turning on the tube, it seems some are ready to bury the banks but I won't be touching JPM. I'm still less than market weighted in the sector and would be willing to buy more on dips.

Energy still looks great and tech is back!

It seems like WSB has taken a new turn. New posters are now pumping a multitude of stocks, and many of them don't care about the shorting, they are just trying to make money. It was inevitable. Initially, the goal was to hurt shorters and make some money at the same time.
It’s an interesting dynamic between people who want to stick it to the hedge funds as goal number 1 and those were are more worried about profits as goal number 1.

I was disappointed when I started reading WSB about AMC. Almost all of the posts are “AMC to the moon!!!” There’s no discussion about it beyond that level.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT