ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
Hate them always have but they are a well ran franchise. They get Russell Wilson for nothing and just now traded for Justin Fields only giving up a 6th rounder next year.

s-l1600.jpg

Both QBs that the Steelers picked up are better than Kenny Pickett. They also got a pick swap in the Pickett trade turning their 120 draft pick into pick 98 plus two 7th rounders next year. The Steelers GM is doing a pretty good job.

Last edited:
Chicago should've just kept and stashed him if a conditional pick is all they could get right now.

Let him be the backup for now.

Steelers, pretty clear what they did, and it's smart. They got as close to a Lamar to run the scout team as anyone in the league has. Also, if he ever gets healthy and plays, Deshaun can move around a bit too and be hard to simulate in practice.

Bravo steelers, well played.

Hard to believe as good as Fields was in college that he couldn't do any better than he has in the NFL. Stroud came from the same system and was ROY. Bears are a mess and that may account for some of it, but career high of only 61% completion last year isn't encouraging.

Evidently, Steelers wanted some cheap insurance in case RW looks like dog crap again. GM doing his job well.

Reactions: Girthang
Hard to believe as good as Fields was in college that he couldn't do any better than he has in the NFL. Stroud came from the same system and was ROY. Bears are a mess and that may account for some of it, but career high of only 61% completion last year isn't encouraging.

Evidently, Steelers wanted some cheap insurance in case RW looks like dog crap again. GM doing his job well.

Plus he comfortably lead the league in seconds between snap and throw. He obviously just can't process NFL defenses as quickly as he needs to. He's a perfect backup though. Will he be professional enough to accept that role?

Hard to believe as good as Fields was in college that he couldn't do any better than he has in the NFL. Bears are a mess and that may account for some of it

When was the last time the Bears had a successful young QB? They seem to ruin or drive away all their young offensive skill players. It's almost impossible for a QB to excel in the NFL with a bad OL, undistinguished receivers, and an offensive coaching staff that keeps turning over. I still think Fields has well above average skills, which is why he was drafted high. But he hasn't matured yet as a thinking man's QB at the pro level, maybe because he has been in such a bad organization. The Steelers don't exactly have a great OL either, but they are a better organization and Tomlin is a better coach. Fields may never win the SB, but it won't surprise me if he succeeds in Pittsburgh with smarter coaches.

Why all of the negativity around here regarding the Steelers?!

I'm interested in how things pan out, but I liked KP alright as a QB. I don't think they'll return RW to winning form, and I don't know if JF is a complete QB and what a great team needs. Right now, though, the Steelers are just good. Can't even win their division yet.

Yes, Chicago RUINS good QBs. They are worshipped and pampered publicly. They are rarelt to never given all of the tools they need to succeed. That they seem to have put all of their chips in on CW is NOT a good sign, imo, for CW or his future, but we'll see.

Friend growing up liked them...meant i hated em. Multiple SB wins. Immaculate deception. They cried about the Raiders being criminals. Rooney rule shoulda been named after Al Davis due to him actually hiring Flores, Shell, and Trask.

Lol. I get it. I have friends that are Bengals fans. Don't know anyone who cried about the Raiders, tho. Loved watching them play back in the 70s and 80s, as well. Stabler, Casper, Branch, Chester, and that D! Those were the days of real football

Friend growing up liked them...meant i hated em. Multiple SB wins. Immaculate deception. They cried about the Raiders being criminals. Rooney rule shoulda been named after Al Davis due to him actually hiring Flores, Shell, and Trask.
People wanna say the steelers are the “blue collar” football team. But that’s all marketing BS by Rooney. The real blue collar football was always played in black and silver.

Don't know anyone who cried about the Raiders,
The Steelers, in particular head coach Chuck Noll, a rather understated and reserved man, censored none of his thoughts on the subject at a press conference the Monday after the game. “You have a criminal element in all aspects of society,” said Noll, “Apparently we have it in the NFL too. Maybe we have a law-and-order problem.” Noll went so far as to suggest that Atkinson be “kicked out of the league.”

The Steelers, in particular head coach Chuck Noll, a rather understated and reserved man, censored none of his thoughts on the subject at a press conference the Monday after the game. “You have a criminal element in all aspects of society,” said Noll, “Apparently we have it in the NFL too. Maybe we have a law-and-order problem.” Noll went so far as to suggest that Atkinson be “kicked out of the league.”

Lol! Had never heard that in all my years. I don't even know the incident to which it's referring, I guess since I didn't live in a major metro area and the local paper was all I had to occasionally look at.

Last edited:
People wanna say the steelers are the “blue collar” football team. But that’s all marketing BS by Rooney. The real blue collar football was always played in black and silver.

The whole frkn LEAGUE was blue collar until the early to mid 80s.

Most marketing is BS. Like calling a home field "The Jungle." It's all hype meant to create an atmosphere and a persona to lure fans in to root for franchises that haven't much loyalty to the players that risk their bodies for them. If you actually thought or bought that Al Davis and his Raiders teams were blue collar and the rest of the league wasnt, now that's some funny sht.

The whole frkn LEAGUE was blue collar until the early to mid 80s.

Most marketing is BS. Like calling a home field "The Jungle." It's all hype meant to create an atmosphere and a persona to lure fans in to root for franchises that haven't much loyalty to the players that risk their bodies for them. If you actually thought or bought that Al Davis and his Raiders teams were blue collar and the rest of the league wasnt, now that's some funny sht.
They were more blue collar I should say. 80s and 70s football was awesome. The 1974 Colts steelers playoff game was really good.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
The Steelers despite their new acquisitions are still according to Las Vegas Odds as of today are picked last in the Rugged AFC North … According to Las Vegas Odds as of today it is the following

1. Baltimore Ravens
2. Cincinnati Bengals
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Pittsburgh Steelers

Easily the Toughest Division in Pro Football … 2023-2024 NFL Season all 4 Teams finished with a winning record including the Browns who won 11 games and had almost 30% of their Salary Cap on Injured Reserve including All Pro RB Nick Chubb missing 15 Games and 3 Qtrs-(knee in the 2nd Game in the 1st Qtr) and by Season End went to 5 QBs and 4 out of their 5 OL out and the Bengals won 9 Games with QB Joe Burrow missing 7 Games

Last edited:
The Steelers despite their new acquisitions are still according to Las Vegas Odds as of today are picked last in the Rugged AFC North … According to Las Vegas Odds as of today it is the following

1. Baltimore Ravens
2. Cincinnati Bengals
3. Cleveland Browns
4. Pittsburgh Steelers

Easily the Toughest Division in Pro Football … 2023-2024 NFL Season all 4 Teams finished with a winning record including the Browns who won 11 games and had almost 30% of their Salary Cap on Injured Reserve including All Pro RB Nick Chubb missing 15 Games and 3 Qtrs-(knee in the 2nd Game in the 1st Qtr) and by Season End went to 5 QBs and 4 out of their 5 OL out and the Bengals won 9 Games with QB Joe Burrow missing 7 Games
And yet the Steelers were 5-1 against division opponents last year even with a sub par offensive unit. The next best team was 3-3. The Steelers dealt with plenty of injuries too especially on defense (Heyward, Watt, Fitzpatrick among others). It is a tough division for sure.

Hope the Steelers can get one more stellar DL before the OTAs start.
Agreed. But, I’d like a cpl more, TBH. Or, a cpl more that are at least serviceable. I don’t trust Loudermilk or Leal, at all. Love Benton though & I think he’s gonna take a big leap next season. I like bringing back Adams as depth, too.

I think Omar Kahn has been amazing since he took over GM duties. But, I have no idea what they’re doing at C & OT. Not one true C on the roster & Dan Moore is in line to come back as a starter at LT, as things stand now 🤢🤮.

They watched all the FA Cs come off the board without even scheduling a meeting with one, as far as I know. I’m assuming they’re gonna use their first round pick on a C. But, IMO, there’s really only one in the draft that is a sure fire starter next season & it’s a huge gamble to stand pat & hope that another team doesn’t swipe him.

But, I’m hoping Jackson Powers-Johnson, the C from Oregon, will be there at 20 & then they snag Xavier Leggette in the 2nd, bc WR is a glaring need now, too. Not sure what to think of the Aiuk trade talks either bc that would take their 1st rounder & seriously handcuff them landing a starting caliber C or even OT in round 1. But, man, he’d be fun to watch being paired with Pickens & he’s also a hell of a blocker for a WR, which is mandatory in an Arthur Smith offense.

Regardless, the offense should be light years better than last season. Russ, Fields & Arthur Smith may not be elite CURRENTLY. But, they look awfully damn good compared to Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph & Matt Canada & should be MASSIVE upgrades.

And, with their defense, assuming they can stay healthy, the offense doesn’t need to be dominant. If they can just average like 24ppg with limited turnovers, they should be able to get to 12-13 wins. I don’t think that’s unrealistic considering they won 10 last year with total abominations at OC, QB & the overall offense, in general.

Agreed. But, I’d like a cpl more, TBH. Or, a cpl more that are at least serviceable. I don’t trust Loudermilk or Leal, at all. Love Benton though & I think he’s gonna take a big leap next season. I like bringing back Adams as depth, too.

I think Omar Kahn has been amazing since he took over GM duties. But, I have no idea what they’re doing at C & OT. Not one true C on the roster & Dan Moore is in line to come back as a starter at LT, as things stand now 🤢🤮.

They watched all the FA Cs come off the board without even scheduling a meeting with one, as far as I know. I’m assuming they’re gonna use their first round pick on a C. But, IMO, there’s really only one in the draft that is a sure fire starter next season & it’s a huge gamble to stand pat & hope that another team doesn’t swipe him.

But, I’m hoping Jackson Powers-Johnson, the C from Oregon, will be there at 20 & then they snag Xavier Leggette in the 2nd, bc WR is a glaring need now, too. Not sure what to think of the Aiuk trade talks either bc that would take their 1st rounder & seriously handcuff them landing a starting caliber C or even OT in round 1. But, man, he’d be fun to watch being paired with Pickens & he’s also a hell of a blocker for a WR, which is mandatory in an Arthur Smith offense.

Regardless, the offense should be light years better than last season. Russ, Fields & Arthur Smith may not be elite CURRENTLY. But, they look awfully damn good compared to Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph & Matt Canada & should be MASSIVE upgrades.

And, with their defense, assuming they can stay healthy, the offense doesn’t need to be dominant. If they can just average like 24ppg with limited turnovers, they should be able to get to 12-13 wins. I don’t think that’s unrealistic considering they won 10 last year with total abominations at OC, QB & the overall offense, in general.
12-13 wins is kind of unrealistic in the AFC North ... again the Bengals won 9 Games with Joe Burrow missing 7 Games

The Browns won 11 Games while going through 5 Different QBs due to injury and without All Pro RB Nick Chubb for almost the entire season and again by Season end was down to 1 Starting OL to begin the Season ... all those guys are coming back from injury on Offense and the Browns had the #1 Defense in the NFL all returning.

And of course you have the Ravens ... the #1 Seed last year in the AFC with the #2 Defense last year

Pittsburgh is improved and a damn good football team BUT those 4 teams are going to beat the hell out of each other .. yes Pittsburgh went 5-1 last year in the Division .. but 2 of those wins was when Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow out and another was when Baltimore literally sat everyone in Week 18 since they already captured the AFC North and the #1 Seed

Last edited:
12 wins is kind of unrealistic in the AFC North ... again the Bengals won 9 Games with Joe Burrow missing 7 Games

The Browns won 11 Games while going through 5 Different QBs due to injury and without All Pro RB Nick Chubb for almost the entire season and again by Season end was down to 1 Starting OL to begin the Season ... all those guys are coming back from injury on Offense and the Browns had the #1 Defense in the NFL all returning.

And of course you have the Ravens ... the #1 Seed last year in the AFC with the #2 Defense last year

Pittsburgh is improved BUT those 4 teams are going to beat the hell out of each other .. yes Pittsburgh went 5-1 last year in the Division .. but 2 of those wins was when Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow out and another was when Baltimore literally sat everyone in Week 18 since they already captured the AFC North and the #1 Seed
Yeah, the North is a gauntlet. I’m not taking anything for granted, but, historically the Steelers have owned CLE & CIN, even in down years when those teams are strong. Plus, Watson will be back starting in CLE & he hasn’t been great when he’s played, recently. And, Burrow’s extensive history with injuries & games missed can’t be overlooked.

But, the biggest factor, IMO, is strength of schedule. Their non-divisional schedule looks very manageable on paper. I think they sweep CLE, go 4-2 in the North & 8-3 outside the division. Their toughest non-divisional games are at home, with the exception of Philly. It’s foolish to assume any game is a win in the NFL. But, the schedule sets up well for them, IMO.

With the right C, the Steelers have done very well. Got to get that OL solidified for sure. Needs to be 2 deep the way the injuries have accumulated the past few years. But who can afford that with the ridiculously low salary cap?

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT