ADVERTISEMENT

Stealing play call signs? Eddie?

howercat

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2007
Last 2 games, 3rd down has been a disaster. It's like the opposing defense knows exactly what Eddie is going to run. Any chance teams have figured out the play call signs? Or is Eddie that predictable? Thoughts?

what was average 3rd down position...my guess is 3rd and 8 or more...
that is not all on QB...

Yep, not going to make too many 3rd and long. We can’t win first and second down.

Reactions: crpoore
Last 2 games, 3rd down has been a disaster. It's like the opposing defense knows exactly what Eddie is going to run. Any chance teams have figured out the play call signs? Or is Eddie that predictable? Thoughts?
Eddie Gran's offense route tree has 4 branches. It ain't hard to figure out when your WR's run 4 routes total.

Last edited:
No I think it has more to do with poor play calling on 3rd down. Even on 3rd and 8. We either pass it 2 yards hoping for missed tackle or we throw a 25 yard hard pass. What ever happened to the receiver going just pass the chains and throw it to him. Seems like it would have a higher chance of success!

gran-sucks.gif

I don't know but I swear the last two games Its uncanny how many times we've thrown into double coverage. We were laughing about it last night and said, "how is it humanly possible for us to throw into double coverage EVERY plass play!!!!! What have they got, 12 DBs!

On the wheel route to Ros he was TRIPLE COVERED. I couldn't help but fall out laughing. Some of it is due to Sawyer being hurt and floating balls like me out there to where safeties have time to go across the field to break up play but still . . .

My question is it our route running, lack of speed, play calling, or what that makes it almost impossible to get a guy open? We leave guys wide open all the time, but it seems as though we never get anything easy. It's been like that since Gran got here. Is the SEC defensive coordinators that much better than him, or is the vanilla low risk offense keeping talented players away?

I don't know but I swear the last two games Its uncanny how many times we've thrown into double coverage. We were laughing about it last night and said, "how is it humanly possible for us to throw into double coverage EVERY plass play!!!!! What have they got, 12 DBs!

On the wheel route to Ros he was TRIPLE COVERED. I couldn't help but fall out laughing. Some of it is due to Sawyer being hurt and floating balls like me out there to where safeties have time to go across the field to break up play but still . . .

Yeah unless Sawyer has a brain injury his shoulder and wrist injuries dont cause him to throw into double coverage . We are still screwed because Stoops isn't going to gamble doing anything but running him out there .. Mark my words .. we will even more conservative on O because of the past 2 games . Its how Stoops thinks .. the less " fancy" you get the less chance something bad goes wrong .... and the side effect to that is the sticks never move . He will whittle the playbook down even farther . Its how he thinks . Big Ten football mentality from the 70-80-90's .. hell even that group of shit teams somewhat caught on about todays offensive schemes and attacks .

Reactions: Soupbean
No. Eddie is just clueless.

It’s not just us noticing this . Even the commentators were criticizing one play call on a 3rd and 5. Like Rogers said , there was only one option for the quarterback to throw to , if it was covered (it was) there was no where else for Sawyer to throw.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Gran coached for 25 years before he got a coordinator job. Obviously it wasn't obvious that he was cut out to be one. It's either that or Stoops has handcuffed him like the others that were here.
Neal Brown has had some good offenses since he left UK and Gran did well at Cincinnati. Maybe Stoops is handcuffing them?

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT