ADVERTISEMENT

Steal:TO ratio

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
How often do you take the ball away vs give it away?

In the 2000's, UK has had 11 players total have at least as many steals as TOs for a season. That is 1 every other season (average).
1.67 Dom. Hawkins
1.42 WCS
1.32 Davis
1.26 Rondo
1.25 Harrellson
1.23 Aa. Harrison
1.18 Liggins
1.11 Noel
1.10 Hayes
1.08 Grady
1.06 Wallace
1.00 Ulis

I know it's early! But after 6 games we have 5 guys doing this!!!
Mitchell 3.33
Sheppard 2.38
Theiro 1.25
Wagner 1.11
Dillingham 1.00

The best team ratio in the 2000's was Tubby's 05-06 team with a ratio of 0.71.
After 6 games the 23-24 Cats have a ratio of 1.25, almost double the ratio of the prior best season.

The only weakness this team has is defense (not counting steals, obviously). If we can get 1 or 2 of the bigs back, that will help immensely. Once our D starts clicking, this team could absolutely brutalize college basketball.
We’re not a good rebounding team.

That’s the biggest weakness right now.

Defensive rebounding is defense. So just that would help both problems.

I haven’t looked at the numbers. The numbers may not show rebounding to be as weak as it is.

It’s especially bad on offense when Mitchell is shooting from outside

No one is in the paint when Mitchell plays out. Good thing he makes a lot.

I agree with Wonky, it's defense, specifically rim protection. Improve that and all other defensive aspects improve. Rebounding may be a close 2nd. Adding 1 or 2 7-footers should help both (rim protection more). Cal's best teams have all had good shot-blocking which allows the guards to defend more aggressively.

For rebounding:
On offense we need Mitchell, Theiro, Edwards flashing in & then out of the paint, to be in rebounding position on a shot. Precisely weakside rebounds. Just for a second or two, then get back out on the wing for an open look yourself.
Defense, we just need to block out better. I do like that Reeves is rebounding better, and the other guards are doing ok there. Need more from Edwards and Mitchell, actually probably Theiro too except for the KU game.
Of the 3 7-footers, I think the one we get on the court first (Bradshaw) is probably the worst of the 3 at rebounding, but we can't be picky.

Reactions: chroix
It’s nice that we actually have the pieces to fix what we need coming in.

I believe our rebounding will improve when the bigs return. Probably our defense will as well. However, I worry that the offense will bog down and suffer. This might be off base since I have never seen Bradshaw play but I have nightmares about how many of our previous centers clogged the middle and disrupted flow.

How often do you take the ball away vs give it away?

In the 2000's, UK has had 11 players total have at least as many steals as TOs for a season. That is 1 every other season (average).
1.67 Dom. Hawkins
1.42 WCS
1.32 Davis
1.26 Rondo
1.25 Harrellson
1.23 Aa. Harrison
1.18 Liggins
1.11 Noel
1.10 Hayes
1.08 Grady
1.06 Wallace
1.00 Ulis

I know it's early! But after 6 games we have 5 guys doing this!!!
Mitchell 3.33
Sheppard 2.38
Theiro 1.25
Wagner 1.11
Dillingham 1.00

The best team ratio in the 2000's was Tubby's 05-06 team with a ratio of 0.71.
After 6 games the 23-24 Cats have a ratio of 1.25, almost double the ratio of the prior best season.
What’s our current strength of schedule?

The only weakness this team has is defense (not counting steals, obviously). If we can get 1 or 2 of the bigs back, that will help immensely. Once our D starts clicking, this team could absolutely brutalize college basketball.

Defense is a MAJOR weakness right now unfortunately. Miami is currently #1 in the country in 3pt %. We really need to win this game but Miami is better than Kansas imo.

It’s been fun to watch so far but we’re not officially back until we start beating good teams consistently again. A home game against a top 10 team…real contenders win those.

Defense is a MAJOR weakness right now unfortunately. Miami is currently #1 in the country in 3pt %. We really need to win this game but Miami is better than Kansas imo.

It’s been fun to watch so far but we’re not officially back until we start beating good teams consistently again. A home game against a top 10 team…real contenders win those.
They do appear to be a better team than Kansas.

And rebounding is a strength for them.

I think we beat them though. Should have beat Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT