ADVERTISEMENT

Status of Tyler Ulis ?

Honestly can we just get a proven assistant instead of Ulis? Ulis is great and all but I hope Pope doesn’t waste a staff spot on him

Honestly can we just get a proven assistant instead of Ulis? Ulis is great and all but I hope Pope doesn’t waste a staff spot on him
Everyone has to start somewhere. I don't know many fans who are saying Ulis should be in a position that counts towards the assistant coach cap. Ulis is awesome and relates to players well, bleeds blue, and was a fan favorite for a reason.

I'm all for keeping him around the program somehow as long as he's learning from Pope and contributing well. Heck, keep him on as a grad assistant if possible.

According to a lot of fans on this board we don’t want any “Cal guys” and need a fresh start.
I disagree with the notion that everybody that ever played on a team coached by CCC should be considered "a Cal guy." For example ... I think it's well documented that MKG took matters into his own hands in influencing the early stages of the 2012 National Champions' practices. I think it's beyond legitimate dispute that MKG did that because (1) he thought something radical needed to be done, and (2) he was reasonably sure that CCC wasn't going to take the action himself. I'm sure there are "several" - if not "many" - others who played on CCC-coached teams that recognized his blatant shortcomings / failures as the head basketball coach at U.K.
I would be in favor of Ulis getting a grad-assistant position. I would also like to see MKG become "reacquainted" with the U.K. program under Mark Pope. Each of them has a U.K. basketball accomplishment that only a select few past U.K. players share.

Probably waiting till next week to announce he's leaving. Then not long after that he's going to Arkansas to keep the "UK negative" news coming.

In a vacuum I'd love to have him back, but is he more of a Cal guy than a UK guy? Only time will tell.

Y’all do realize that it’s entirely possible to be a Cal guy, a Tubby guy, or a Pitino guy and still be a UK guy. These guys have personal relationships with each other and will always be connected. I remember when Pitino was public enemy #1 and people gave him shit for still supporting Pitino. That was his coach who he had battles with grinder with, and went through things with. Even though he was a Pitino guy he’s obviously still a UK guy. This you have to be one of two things in all aspects of life needs to stop.

Y’all do realize that it’s entirely possible to be a Cal guy, a Tubby guy, or a Pitino guy and still be a UK guy. These guys have personal relationships with each other and will always be connected. I remember when Pitino was public enemy #1 and people gave him shit for still supporting Pitino. That was his coach who he had battles with grinder with, and went through things with. Even though he was a Pitino guy he’s obviously still a UK guy. This you have to be one of two things in all aspects of life needs to stop.
Who are we talking about?

If you aren’t willing to keep coach O I can’t imagine you keep Tyler but Inbeen wrong before.

Didn’t Ulis say in an interview early last year that he still wanted to play professional ball when he gets healthy? Maybe he might go overseas and play?

Ulis graduates at end of July. Then he will go to Arkansas as Grad Assistant. It’s a done deal.

I think Tyler would make a great assistant. He is a winner . Knows basketball . Wants to coach someday and needs to learn from a coach from Pitino’s coaching tree . Cal has no coaching tree for obvious reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT