ADVERTISEMENT

State of Kentucky filled with football talent, but can UK land any of the top recruits?

Coach Schlarman recruited Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Kash Daniel, Kyle Meadows, Logan Stenberg, Austin Dotson. He helped with Nick Lewis and Kenneth Horsey. Young was a 5 star prospect.

Neil Brown while here laid the ground work with a bunch of the ky kids who are on the team now. Young, Jackson and Daniel. All 3 of those kids grew up wildcats and while Jackson was a top center in the class Young was a guy who kept climbing the rankings. Also do you think Stenberg who chose us over UAB, Southern Miss and Troy at the time of his commitment had an impact on him by Ansley? After all it was his territory and Ansley had offered several guys from his school. Of course Ansley ended up leaving a little later and going to Bama.
I know that Young, Jackson and Daniel have stated they liked Schlarman and I certainly hope that Schlarman is in communication with any OL target we are after. Would be stupid of the staff not to recruit guys your going to be coaching. A lot of the lineman we have on the team Schlarman was not the primary recruiter as it was not his territory to be and that is understandable. Its when you have a ton of instant talent and you can't land them, thats what hurts.
I'd much rather landed 5 star Wills from Ky than project Nick Lewis from florida. Alabama thought so as well.

Reactions: thepip
Each school you mentioned is basically after 1 instate player. But let's stipulate that this could be the best instate class in at least several years. Let's agree on that. With that being the case, are Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame prioritizing Kentucky over Ohio? No.

They are not but they do prioritize good talent over a project that may or may not work out. I'd much rather have a 4 star guy from Ky that every team in the country wants than a low 3 star from Ohio or Florida that nobody is recruiting. If we can land 3 4 star guys a year from the state it would be a huge boost to our program.

And as I stated Young and Kash were coming to UK regardless. They were lifelong UK fans. He recruited Jackson also but he was a big UK fan too. Schlarman did find Bunchy but that doesn't make him a good recruiter. How is House not useless? You never answered that. I have my opinion and you have yours except mine are backed up by terrible defensive stats. And 14 of our 24 signees are from Ohio and Florida. That is more than half. Stoops may offer these in state kids but that doesn't mean that they prioritize them like they do kids from Ohio and Florida. If he did he would put one of our better recruiters on them like Marrow. I know most of his connections are in Ohio but he has gone into other states and signed kids. So no, my statements are not demonstrably false. They are backed up by cold, hard stats. Sorry if the truth hurts.
Yes, I clearly understand your beliefs. As discussed, many of your opinions are demonstrably false. Coach House is not "useless". I am not even particularly a fan of House, but what you are saying about him is just false. House is a former NFL coach. In House's 1st season as our defensive coordinator, sacks and hurries increased, and surrendered rushing yardage significantly decreased. That's just his 1st season in the role. Georgia is Coach House's recruiting territory. House recruited TJ Carter, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, Jerquavion Mahone. Carter starts, and has been a solid player for us. Did you know Coach House beat out Alabama for Corker? Davis was 1 of the stars of the last BWG. You made it clear that you don't like Mahone, but he had multiple SEC offers and our coaches like him. Schlarman and Hinshaw are not ineffective recruiters, so that's false too. Without Hinshaw, we would not have signed SJ or Wilson. Coach Stoops has not placed other recruiting priorities over instate recruiting, so that's also false. We have a big staff, so recruiting instate and out of state are not mutually exclusive. We do both. Again, Stoops has already offered at least 9 scholarships to 2019 instate prospects. Again, Stoops can't force instate prospects to sign with UK. But if you think prior UK coaches have been better recruiters than Stoops, then prove it. You still haven't addressed the fact that UK has more Kentuckians on scholarship than UL does. But as I said, I don't expect you to acknowledge that your posts are demonstrably false. I am just responding.

Last edited:
I'd much rather have a 4 star guy from Ky that every team in the country wants than a low 3 star from Ohio or Florida that nobody is recruiting.
Who wouldn't? But I don't know what you expect from Stoops. If you think a prior UK football coach recruited better than Stoops, then let's hear your explanation. If you think Stoops is deliberately prioritizing "low 3 star prospects from Ohio or Florida" over 4 star prospects from elsewhere, then you have ignored publicly available information and misconstrued actual facts. Every year, Stoops offers scholarships to SEC caliber football prospects in at least 10 states. He has to fill an 85 man roster. He signs the best players he can sign. He is outrecruiting every other modern UK football coach I can remember, and I have been around here a while. He has already offered at least 9 scholarships to instate prospects in the 2019 class. He can't force them to sign.

Reactions: Poetax
I will also follow up that it is very disheartening and disappointing that more than five years into the Stoops era, huge upgrade in facilities, and two consecutive bowl games, we can't even expect to sign more than one or two, if that, of the top 7 kids in Kentucky. And I honestly don't know why that is. Lack of NFL draft picks?

Maybe a lack of winning seasons, no bowl wins, and play on the field that is not exciting on both sides of the ball? We’ve made improvements but only in the last two years, these kids grew up watching a program that sucked for 6 or 7 years, it’s not surprising that they didn’t grow up wanting to play for us.

What type of restrictions for spring practice are there in Kentucky. Georgia is studying a big change in spring practice, it has changed a good bit over the last 20 years already. But it is a teaching time, no game to prepare for, finding people to fill positions and teaching new players. It can't be anything but good for player development.

The metro Atlanta area where the majority of the athletes in Georgia are found has exploded in population. Georgia could sigh a top 10 class out of Gwinett county every year, 45 min Fri campus. But many kids aren't native Georgians and free up in households who support other programs. This cycle was a little different, several of the top 10 were from different parts of the state and Kirby and McGee are very well liked by the hs coaches around the state, Pittman, the OL coach is known for getting linemen to the NFL, he has hit on every OL.he targeted the last 2 years, 3 5*, 6 4* and 2 3* guys he wanted.

Grumpy,
As I understand the rule, there can be no spring practice/play sessions for high school football teams. I could be completely wrong, as this is based on my understanding of 20+ years ago. Anyone out there know the current rule?
Thanks

Neil Brown while here laid the ground work with a bunch of the ky kids who are on the team now. Young, Jackson and Daniel.

Neal Brown left UK in 2014. You can believe whatever you want, but Brown was gone years before these kids graduated from high school and signed with UK.

I'd much rather landed 5 star Wills from Ky than project Nick Lewis from florida. Alabama thought so as well.
Right there, you demonstrate your blind spot. Alabama also offered scholarships to Kengera Daniel, Yusuf Corker, Jordan Wright, Josh Paschal, Landon Young, Drake Jackson. You don't talk about all these UK Wildcats who are inconvenient truths for your line of thinking. Wills and Lewis didn't even come from the same national class and haven't played a single down of college football. And you conveniently failed to mention Darian Kinnard. I don't know what kind of a college player Wills will be. But I know this. Mark Stoops did everything under the sun to recruit Wills. Stoops can't force a player to sign with UK. But Stoops is still the most effective recruiter UK has had in my memory. I understand you just can't accept that, but facts are facts.

Grumpy,
As I understand the rule, there can be no spring practice/play sessions for high school football teams. I could be completely wrong, as this is based on my understanding of 20+ years ago. Anyone out there know the current rule?
Thanks
Changed about 15 years ago - Kentucky has spring practice. There is now a movement to do away with it, though.

Yes, I clearly understand your beliefs. As discussed, many of your opinions are demonstrably false. Coach House is not "useless". I am not even particularly a fan of House, but what you are saying about him is just false. House is a former NFL coach. In House's 1st season as our defensive coordinator, sacks and hurries increased, and surrendered rushing yardage significantly decreased. That's just his 1st season in the role. Georgia is Coach House's recruiting territory. House recruited TJ Carter, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, Jerquavion Mahone. Carter starts, and has been a solid player for us. Did you know Coach House beat out Alabama for Corker? Davis was 1 of the stars of the last BWG. You made it clear that you don't like Mahone, but he had multiple SEC offers and our coaches like him. Schlarman and Hinshaw are not ineffective recruiters, so that's false too. Without Hinshaw, we would not have signed SJ or Wilson. Coach Stoops has not placed other recruiting priorities over instate recruiting, so that's also false. We have a big staff, so recruiting instate and out of state are not mutually exclusive. We do both. Again, Stoops has already offered at least 9 scholarships to 2019 instate prospects. Again, Stoops can't force instate prospects to sign with UK. But if you think prior UK coaches have been better recruiters than Stoops, then prove it. You still haven't addressed the fact that UK has more Kentuckians on scholarship than UL does. But as I said, I don't expect you to acknowledge that your posts are demonstrably false. I am just responding.
In House's first season as DC we regressed in total D. We dropped from #87 to #91 and that was with I think, 9 returning starters. And he didn't stick in the NFL so if he was so great somebody would've picked him up besides Fla Int'l. Wisconsin's HC didn't think he was worthy enough to bring him along. I already said Clink recruited Corker not House. Go look at his profile. Carter may be a starter but that doesn't mean that he's SEC quality. Remember how bad our DL's been? He may improve a lot this year and I hope he does but he had no other Power 5 offers coming out of HS and so far he's played that way. And I said I like Davis. I never said I didn't like Mahone. I love how you make stuff up. I said it will be interesting to see how he and Tajh Rice develop over the next few years. Rice had several Power 5 offers. Mahone didn't even though you say he did (UT is the only one I'm aware of). Who were they? I hope he kills it here. Hinshaw has found 2 good QB's but his overall recruiting resume' is not impressive like I thought it would be when we got him. And I never said Stoops isn't the best recruiting coach we've had here. That's not debateable. Statistically, it's not even close and I'm proud of the job the staff has done on the recruiting trail. However, we are trending in the wrong direction with regards to signing the state's best players. That is not debateable. Sure, it can be turned around and I hope it does but currently we are only in the mix for two of the top 10 next year (Bowles and Robinson) and we don't lead for either currently. We basically have 3 stud recruiters on staff that pull about 90% of the program's weight.

Neal Brown left UK in 2014. You can believe whatever you want, but Brown was gone years before these kids graduated from high school and signed with UK.

Right there, you demonstrate your blind spot. Alabama also offered scholarships to Kengera Daniel, Yusuf Corker, Jordan Wright, Josh Paschal, Landon Young, Drake Jackson. You don't talk about all these UK Wildcats who are inconvenient truths for your line of thinking. Wills and Lewis didn't even come from the same national class and haven't played a single down of college football. And you conveniently failed to mention Darian Kinnard. I don't know what kind of a college player Wills will be. But I know this. Mark Stoops did everything under the sun to recruit Wills. Stoops can't force a player to sign with UK. But Stoops is still the most effective recruiter UK has had in my memory. I understand you just can't accept that, but facts are facts.
Pretty sure that Wills did play some OL for Bama as a frosh.

In House's first season as DC we regressed in total D. We dropped from #87 to #91 and that was with I think, 9 returning starters. And he didn't stick in the NFL so if he was so great somebody would've picked him up besides Fla Int'l. Wisconsin's HC didn't think he was worthy enough to bring him along. I already said Clink recruited Corker not House. Go look at his profile. Carter may be a starter but that doesn't mean that he's SEC quality. Remember how bad our DL's been? He may improve a lot this year and I hope he does but he had no other Power 5 offers coming out of HS and so far he's played that way. And I said I like Davis. I never said I didn't like Mahone. I love how you make stuff up. I said it will be interesting to see how he and Tajh Rice develop over the next few years. Rice had several Power 5 offers. Mahone didn't even though you say he did (UT is the only one I'm aware of). Who were they? I hope he kills it here. Hinshaw has found 2 good QB's but his overall recruiting resume' is not impressive like I thought it would be when we got him. And I never said Stoops isn't the best recruiting coach we've had here. That's not debateable. Statistically, it's not even close and I'm proud of the job the staff has done on the recruiting trail. However, we are trending in the wrong direction with regards to signing the state's best players. That is not debateable. Sure, it can be turned around and I hope it does but currently we are only in the mix for two of the top 10 next year (Bowles and Robinson) and we don't lead for either currently. We basically have 3 stud recruiters on staff that pull about 90% of the program's weight.
I get it. You don't like Coach House, and you don't like Coach Stoops. You are on some kind of a crusade to make sure everyone knows. Most of what you say about this is demonstably false, or else built on a demonstably false line of reasoning. I have explained my thinking several times and reached a point of diminishing interest. I know you won't change your mind about any of this.

Last edited:
Whether he played a few mop up snaps or not, that isn't the point.
I’m not involved in your discussion, carry on:

2017 (Freshman)
Earned his first playing time in the second quarter of the Crimson Tide’s home opener at right tackle ... made his first career start at right tackle in the Ole Miss game ... saw action in 11 games this season. Fresno State: Came off the bench at right tackle ... played on 22 snaps and recorded two knockdown blocks while grading out at 85 percent ... did not allow a sack or a hurry and did not commit a penalty. Colorado State: Came off the bench to earn eight snaps with the first unit ... had two knockdown blocks. Vanderbilt: Played 18 snaps of offense with a grade of 87 percent and two knockdown blocks. Ole Miss: Made his first career start at RT as the Tide opened the game with a formation that included six offensive linemen ... played 23 total snaps and helped Alabama accumulate 365 rushing yards and 613 total yards against the Rebels. Texas A&M: Played two snaps on the offensive line in short-yardage situations. Arkansas: Came off the bench to play nine snaps on offense with one knockdown block. Tennessee: Earned 11 snaps against the Volunteers ... including two as an extra offensive lineman in goal-line situations. LSU: Came off the bench for one snap against the Tigers. Mercer: Played 26 snaps in a 56-0 win over Mercer. Clemson: Played five snaps in the Tide’s 24-6 win in the Sugar Bowl in goal-line formations.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I get it. You don't like Coach House, and you don't like Coach Stoops. You are on some kind of a crusade to make sure everyone knows. Most of what you say about this is demonstably false, or else built on a demonstably false line of reasoning. I have explained my thinking several times and reached a point of diminishing interest. I know you won't change your mind about any of this.
I never said I don't like House, I just think we can do better. A lot of fans thought it was a cheap hire when we promoted him and so far we have been right. Hopefully we turn it around this year. And how in the world did you come to the conclusion that I don't like Stoops? I literally just said he's "the best recruiting coach we've ever had and it's not even close." You keep saying my reasoning is demonstrably false but I have backed up my reasoning with statistics, which doesn't always tell the whole story but it's more than just trying to attack someone's opinion just because it's different than yours. Have a good day, sir.

I never said I don't like House, I just think we can do better. A lot of fans thought it was a cheap hire when we promoted him and so far we have been right. Hopefully we turn it around this year. And how in the world did you come to the conclusion that I don't like Stoops? I literally just said he's "the best recruiting coach we've ever had and it's not even close." You keep saying my reasoning is demonstrably false but I have backed up my reasoning with statistics, which doesn't always tell the whole story but it's more than just trying to attack someone's opinion just because it's different than yours. Have a good day, sir.

It’s a little hard to understand, you like Stoops but you don’t like the coaches that he hires?

It’s a little hard to understand, you like Stoops but you don’t like the coaches that he hires?
Gran, Marrow, Hinshaw and Hood are excellent. I think Smith and White are solid hires. I understand why he didn't fire Clink because he's a great recruiter but our DB's have regressed big time since Ansley left. Schlarman is ok I guess. Our OL have been studs run blocking but piss poor pass blocking and his recruiting has been ho hum IMO. Most of the guys he signed were coming here anyway. Probably too early to judge on LeBlanc but we didn't look any better on the DL this year and I don't think he was a lead recruiter on anybody we signed. House is a joke IMO. I hope I eat crow after this year and we're a top 40 D but I haven't seen anything on the field to suggest we won't suck again, even with 10 returning starters. We had 9 last year and got worse somehow.

I think Stoops is a decent coach and a stud recruiter and I doubt if we could do better. I love the continuity and knowing that we have a solid enough roster to be competitive with most teams in the SEC. But his on field coaching has left a lot to be desired. We usually have 2-3 games a year where we look really good (Vandy and USCe) but usually have another 2-3 (Ga, UL, MSU) where we look terrible.

Gran, Marrow, Hinshaw and Hood are excellent. I think Smith and White are solid hires. I understand why he didn't fire Clink because he's a great recruiter but our DB's have regressed big time since Ansley left. Schlarman is ok I guess. Our OL have been studs run blocking but piss poor pass blocking and his recruiting has been ho hum IMO. Most of the guys he signed were coming here anyway. Probably too early to judge on LeBlanc but we didn't look any better on the DL this year and I don't think he was a lead recruiter on anybody we signed. House is a joke IMO. I hope I eat crow after this year and we're a top 40 D but I haven't seen anything on the field to suggest we won't suck again, even with 10 returning starters. We had 9 last year and got worse somehow.

I think Stoops is a decent coach and a stud recruiter and I doubt if we could do better. I love the continuity and knowing that we have a solid enough roster to be competitive with most teams in the SEC. But his on field coaching has left a lot to be desired. We usually have 2-3 games a year where we look really good (Vandy and USCe) but usually have another 2-3 (Ga, UL, MSU) where we look terrible.

Like you I like Stoops and I have to believe that he knows or at least finds out what kind of coaches he hires. He ain’t been perfect but I like the current staff. House gets this year to get the improvement we need.

Each school you mentioned is basically after 1 instate player. But let's stipulate that this could be the best instate class in at least several years. Let's agree on that. With that being the case, are Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame prioritizing Kentucky over Ohio? No.

No, agree, BUT those players being from Kentucky SHOULD give UK a big leg up on recruiting them. Just have to show them the commitment is here to stay (COA my pet peeve, how does everyone else do it--------AND how much MONEY does Bama etc make from it, donations also-----my pet peeve of the moment, Transfer U getting theirs).

We SHOULD get more four stars from Kentucky than from any of those states this year-------will we?

Changed about 15 years ago - Kentucky has spring practice. There is now a movement to do away with it, though.

My opinion not that it means anything on this is it will hurt the devlopement of players in Kentucky or any state that doesn't have it. I believe more actual teaching goes on in those 3 weeks that the fall season. Like I mentioned above fall is all about getting in condition for the season and preparing for each game. Spring has no game to prepare for and no reason to get in condition for the season. It's changed in Georgia since I retired but at one time we had 15 days to be completed by a scrimmage against another team or an inrasquad game. I haven't really kept up with the rules lately, but now if you have the spring scrimmage you can't have a pre season scrimmage. By scrimmage I am meaning against other teams. Full games, with all special teams,refs and keeping score. Normally coaches agree to allow the younger kids in the program to have a quarter, maybe a little longer against each other.

On those scrimmages, the 17 3A state champion scrimmaged the 17 5A champion and 5A won 54-6. 3A team also played the 4A state champion and lost 58-14. The 5A team had 3 DL sign P5 schorlarships and they were a handful to deal with, closest game they had all year was 38-6. The qb of that team has been mentioned on here, think he is a 20 kid. A good player, but with the defense Rome trotted on the field it didn't really matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: lz
They are not but they do prioritize good talent over a project that may or may not work out. I'd much rather have a 4 star guy from Ky that every team in the country wants than a low 3 star from Ohio or Florida that nobody is recruiting. If we can land 3 4 star guys a year from the state it would be a huge boost to our program.

Exactly, that is essentially what I said.

I hope we can get every Kentucky kid that deserves a spot on the roster!

I’m not involved in your discussion, carry on:

2017 (Freshman)
Earned his first playing time in the second quarter of the Crimson Tide’s home opener at right tackle ... made his first career start at right tackle in the Ole Miss game ... saw action in 11 games this season. Fresno State: Came off the bench at right tackle ... played on 22 snaps and recorded two knockdown blocks while grading out at 85 percent ... did not allow a sack or a hurry and did not commit a penalty. Colorado State: Came off the bench to earn eight snaps with the first unit ... had two knockdown blocks. Vanderbilt: Played 18 snaps of offense with a grade of 87 percent and two knockdown blocks. Ole Miss: Made his first career start at RT as the Tide opened the game with a formation that included six offensive linemen ... played 23 total snaps and helped Alabama accumulate 365 rushing yards and 613 total yards against the Rebels. Texas A&M: Played two snaps on the offensive line in short-yardage situations. Arkansas: Came off the bench to play nine snaps on offense with one knockdown block. Tennessee: Earned 11 snaps against the Volunteers ... including two as an extra offensive lineman in goal-line situations. LSU: Came off the bench for one snap against the Tigers. Mercer: Played 26 snaps in a 56-0 win over Mercer. Clemson: Played five snaps in the Tide’s 24-6 win in the Sugar Bowl in goal-line formations.

Guess that settled that lol

Fact is, the less than poor showing v. U6 this was a big hindrance.
Had to be. Walked out of KCWS in total disbelief. The one big thing for me was all the talk about keeping the ball away from their offense(Jackson) and what does the coach do...he gives them the ball first!

Guess that settled that lol
I wasn’t trying to be rude, just thought I would research it, share it and actually was surprised that Wills played that much as a frosh, plus figured he would have played OG, not OT at Bama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT