ADVERTISEMENT

State of Kentucky filled with football talent, but can UK land any of the top recruits?

Has this staff spent too much time on out of state prospects to be able to reel in even 2 or 3 of the top prospects in Ky. in 2019 ???

^ If you think getting 2-3 KY kids in '19 is more important than 6+ each from FL & OH, then yea.

^ If you think getting 2-3 KY kids in '19 is more important than 6+ each from FL & OH, then yea.

Sorry, but strongly disagree. Best teams Kentucky has had have always included homegrown stars: Off the top of my head:

1984 - Ransdell, Logan, Dawson, Higgs, Calhoun, Jerry Reese

1997-98 - Couch, Yeast, Schlarman, Derek Homer, Johnson brothers

2002 - Lorenzon, Pinner, Caudill

2006-07 - Micah and Christian Johnson, Garry Williams, Tamme, Burton, Woodson

Point being is that no UK coaching staff is good enough to get the 2nd and 3rd best from other states and do without the top stars from instate, history alone says that is not possible. When we recruit as good as this staff has done in Ohio and other places PLUS pick up the top kids from in state, THEN we will have 8, 9 and 10 win seasons. What do you think our offense would look like next year if we had Sindelar at QB, Harris and Snell in the backfield, and Jedrick Wills on the O line?

I will also follow up that it is very disheartening and disappointing that more than five years into the Stoops era, huge upgrade in facilities, and two consecutive bowl games, we can't even expect to sign more than one or two, if that, of the top 7 kids in Kentucky. And I honestly don't know why that is. Lack of NFL draft picks?
Let's deal with modern reality. When Stoops got here in 2013, there were 17 scholarship Kentuckians returning from the 2012 roster, including 4 Kentuckians from the 2012 recruiting class. That team went 2-10. That's what Stoops inherited. At that time, UK fans were widely complaining that Joker Phillips had not recruited the state of Ohio hard enough. Stoops was hired to rebuild UK's football roster and get our program back to bowl games. In those objectives, Stoops has been successful. You can't name another UK football coach who recruited as well as Stoops has. And it would be misleading to suggest Stoops hasn't tried to sign Kentuckians. Young, Jackson, Middleton are starting. Kash Daniel will start in 2018. Stoops has offered scholarships to a number of Kentuckians. Some signed with UK, others didn't. You can recruit them, but you can't force them to sign. This happens in every program. I'm sure all of us want to see as many top players as possible signing with UK, regardless of where they were born. At the end of the day, coming off a 7-6 season with another promising season lying ahead beats the hell out of 2-10.

Last edited:
IIRC, during Stoops' tenure there has been one player that has left the state and has a significant impact on the program he went to - Damien Harris. But, I would certainly not trade Snell for Harris. I would be much more butt-hurt about not signing in-state talent if they were going elsewhere and lighting it up. Also, it seems that a lot of the decent in-state players think they are too good for UK, so its really not worth UK efforts to try to recruit them if they can get better players with less "attitude" from other parts of the country.

1st - Not all recruits who are higher rated are worthy of the rating

2nd - Not all recruits fit your team.....even if they are higher rated.

3rd - Assuming all other aspects are equal, is a similarly rated recruit out of Florida "more likely" to be a better bet than one from Kentucky? Probably. Certainly, certainly not an absolute, but.....

4th - If UL feels the effects of Jurich's dismissal.....and should the scandals, etc, spill over to affect football, then this could really help UK with in-state guys.

5th - Winning. Right now, Stoops' records have an upward trend throughout his time here. If this trend continues, then more of the in-state guys will take notice......and more will stay home.

Reactions: jauk11
Has this staff spent too much time on out of state prospects to be able to reel in even 2 or 3 of the top prospects in Ky. in 2019 ???
No. There are plenty of coaches. Kentucky is John Schlarman's designated territory, and Schlarman gets help from other UK coaches. At some point, a light must come on, and high-information fans just have to realize that Stoops offers scholarships to players all over the eastern half of the country. Josh Allen, an all SEC player, is from New Jersey. Juice Johnson is from Florida. Terry Wilson is from Oklahoma. We need the best players we can get. Quibbling over where they were born is a false argument.

Reactions: cat888
No. There are plenty of coaches. Kentucky is John Schlarman's designated territory, and Schlarman gets help from other UK coaches. At some point, a light must come on, and high-information fans just have to realize that Stoops offers scholarships to players all over the eastern half of the country. Josh Allen, an all SEC player, is from New Jersey. Juice Johnson is from Florida. Terry Wilson is from Oklahoma. We need the best players we can get. Quibbling over where they were born is a false argument.
I realize that we get many good players from other states, but with back to back 7 win bowl seasons, to have what 7 of the Top 10 ranked Ky. players apparantly headed out of state is not good for the program.
The Good/Great teams lock up home state talent pretty much most all the time !

Reactions: Tskware
Ohio kids WANT to play for Ohio St. Alabama and LSU kids for the most part WANT to play for their home state school. Kentucky evidently does not have that WANT to among the top kids in state. You have several kids that don't have SEC talent that WANT to play at UK but you can't take those kids and be competitive in the SEC.

I think we get a lot of KY kids this year. Might come down to Signing Day for a few but we’ll get them.

Ohio kids WANT to play for Ohio St. Alabama and LSU kids for the most part WANT to play for their home state school. Kentucky evidently does not have that WANT to among the top kids in state. You have several kids that don't have SEC talent that WANT to play at UK but you can't take those kids and be competitive in the SEC.
Compare the records of those three schools over the last 10 years vs. UK's & you'll understand why. Flip those records around & UK would have the pick of KY kids.

Sorry, but strongly disagree. Best teams Kentucky has had have always included homegrown stars: Off the top of my head:

Point being is that no UK coaching staff is good enough to get the 2nd and 3rd best from other states and do without the top stars from instate, history alone says that is not possible. When we recruit as good as this staff has done in Ohio and other places PLUS pick up the top kids from in state, THEN we will have 8, 9 and 10 win seasons. What do you think our offense would look like next year if we had Sindelar at QB, Harris and Snell in the backfield, and Jedrick Wills on the O line?
TT: 1. Those years are ancient history & relative state talent levels likely have changed & not in favor of KY. 2. When has UK recruited better, though not great, overall than the last five years? 3. I don't think we didn't get Sindelar/Harris/ Wills for lack of trying.

George Adams played on the 1984 team, I think.

The Good/Great teams lock up home state talent pretty much most all the time !
The basis of this sentiment is understandable, but it is a false argument. All programs miss on instate recruits. The coach's job is to recruit the best roster he can recruit. Where each player was born is a collateral issue. You can find a lot of programs based in smaller states that depend on out of state recruiting as the foundation of their rosters. And why does UL, despite representing our state's largest city, have fewer Kentuckians on scholarship than UK does? Answer is that they sign better players out of south Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
Some states it just seems like kids can't get away fast enough and other states seldom lose kids. Georgia always has tons of kids who leave. But this year we signed 7 of top 10, 8 of top 11. Missed on number 1 guy, and didn't recruit the other 2, but signed kids from Florida, illinois, North Carolina and Texas. Our class usually come from Georgia and Florida and a few kids from scattered other states.

1st - Not all recruits who are higher rated are worthy of the rating

2nd - Not all recruits fit your team.....even if they are higher rated.

3rd - Assuming all other aspects are equal, is a similarly rated recruit out of Florida "more likely" to be a better bet than one from Kentucky? Probably. Certainly, certainly not an absolute, but.....

4th - If UL feels the effects of Jurich's dismissal.....and should the scandals, etc, spill over to affect football, then this could really help UK with in-state guys.

5th - Winning. Right now, Stoops' records have an upward trend throughout his time here. If this trend continues, then more of the in-state guys will take notice......and more will stay home.
Getting a signature win would be helpful...U6 last year was the closest we've had...this season , not so much.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I will also follow up that it is very disheartening and disappointing that more than five years into the Stoops era, huge upgrade in facilities, and two consecutive bowl games, we can't even expect to sign more than one or two, if that, of the top 7 kids in Kentucky. And I honestly don't know why that is. Lack of NFL draft picks?

UK's first really good class was 2014, and several of them chose to come back to these coaches when they could have been gone. Thank goodness, a VERY good thing, and a negative for those that say we don't have coaching.

Getting a signature win would be helpful...U6 last year was the closest we've had...this season , not so much.

NEXT year hopefully we start our own streak against Thug U (still LOTS more recruiting tools than UK), and winning against Transfer U would be a very good thing and very possible also.

A lot riding on next year.

The sixty five team had a lot of GREAT players from Kentucky. Norton, Bird, Ball, Kestner, Davis, the NFL player Bradshaw ran off to WKU, etc-------that team had TWO great handicaps, their coach that ran off a lot of great talent so we had no depth AND the Kentucky State Legislature that decided we should concentrate on Kentucky players.

They did have one advantage, it was before KENTUCKY integrated the SEC and opened a vast reservoir of football talent to other SEC schools-------for UK, not so much.

Much better now, but Joker's first year we had ZERO four stars in the whole state, got the 5.7 recruit thought to be the best player in the state, but he did little to nothing before leaving.

I will take the Ohio, Georgia and Florida kids. That's just me though. Saying that, I think we get some from Ky next year

It's about priorities. We have shifted our focus to Ohio and Florida, which should be where we get the most of our talent. Those two states are loaded with talent. However, in most years Kentucky will have 3-5 SEC quality players that we could sign and it's a shame that we can't get them. But again, it's about priorities. This staff has 3 stud recruiters (Gran, Marrow, Clinkscale - I think they were responsible for probably 95% of this class). Schlarman is assigned to Ky and he hasn't given us a whole lot in recruiting since coming on (I know he got Bunchy and Landon Young off the top of my head but can't think of many more). Hood is a great teacher but isn't known as a recruiter but he found Duffy, who I'm very excited about. Our state had three 4 star players last year and we weren't seriously considered by any of them. It remains to be seen how good they are but we really needed some talent infusion at WR and Moore would've been huge. We complain about lack of talent at DL and we had a 4 star, Tajh Rice, in state and we never even offered. The kid had a slew of Power 5 offers including USC and Virginia Tech. Instead, we signed Qua Mahone from Ga, who only had one other Power 5 offer. We don't know who will be better in 4-5 years but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

As to our other assistants, House is pretty much useless as a teacher and recruiter. I thought Hinshaw would be a good recruiter but that hasn't been the case although he is a great QB coach. LeBlanc seems to be getting us into La, which could be huge but I would be surprised if we get a top 20 kid out of that state. All of their best players go to Bama and LSU. Smith seems like he was a good recruiter at Arkansas and I hope that carries over here. He seems to be a really good WR coach, which we will need this year.

It's about priorities. We have shifted our focus to Ohio and Florida, which should be where we get the most of our talent. Those two states are loaded with talent. However, in most years Kentucky will have 3-5 SEC quality players that we could sign and it's a shame that we can't get them. But again, it's about priorities.

UK's coaches go where the best available pools of talent are. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. Jordan Griffin, Yusuf Corker - Georgia. Isaiah Epps, Terry Wilson - Oklahoma. Quinton Bohanna - Tennessee. Logan Stenberg, Kavosiey Smoke - Alabama. Marquan McCall, DeAndre Square - Michigan. Max Duffy is from Australia.

Schlarman is assigned to Ky and he hasn't given us a whole lot in recruiting since coming on.

Coach Schlarman recruited Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Kash Daniel, Kyle Meadows, Logan Stenberg, Austin Dotson. He helped with Nick Lewis and Kenneth Horsey. Young was a 5 star prospect.

Our state had three 4 star players last year and we weren't seriously considered by any of them. It remains to be seen how good they are but we really needed some talent infusion at WR and Moore would've been huge. We complain about lack of talent at DL and we had a 4 star, Tajh Rice, in state and we never even offered. The kid had a slew of Power 5 offers including USC and Virginia Tech.

How do you explain the fact that UK has more scholarship football players from the state of Kentucky than UL does? After all, UL represents our state's largest city, where most of our state's top talent is. Obviously, all these players you mentioned chose to expend their official visits elsewhere. This is their free choice. How would you propose to sign players who prefer to attend another college?

As to our other assistants, House is pretty much useless as a teacher and recruiter.

Coach House recruited TJ Carter, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, Jerquavion Mahone. He is our defensive coordinator. He formerly coached in the NFL for the Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams.

I thought Hinshaw would be a good recruiter but that hasn't been the case

Coach Hinshaw recruited Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson, Gunnar Hoak. He is currently recruiting a list of 2019 quarterbacks.

Last edited:
Kentucky puts out very few players. every year that is good enough for SEC football, the ones that do come out of Kentucky as a high D1 prospect, does not go to Kentucky. Outside of the few big time players that absolutely grew up as a UK fan or the diamonds in the rough that the staff get lucky and grab. This state just does not put out very much D1 talent..

There were 3 KY natives drafted in last years NFL draft, I have no idea who they were but I know none of them played at UK and I know it doesnt include the kid from Kentucky Wesleyan who made an impact on the Jaguars as a WR. There is some talent out there every year, but the problem with instate kids is that they arent as developed in high school as a lot of other states making it more difficult to spot who could contribute down the road at an SEC level. Historically 2-3 draft picks a year is what they state averages, which is equivalent to a 4-star prospect on these recruiting services problem is the 4-star kids never seem to pan out and its the ones that end up at EKU/WKU type schools that seem to develop.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/nfl-draft-state-by-state-florida-texas-georgia

There is some talent out there every year, but the problem with instate kids is that they arent as developed in high school as a lot of other states making it more difficult to spot who could contribute down the road at an SEC level.
I don't know the specifics of this, but it's worthwhile mentioning. Thanks.

UK's coaches go where the best available pools of talent are. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. Jordan Griffin, Yusuf Corker - Georgia. Isaiah Epps, Terry Wilson - Oklahoma. Quinton Bohanna - Tennessee. Logan Stenberg, Kavosiey Smoke - Alabama. Marquan McCall, DeAndre Square - Michigan. Max Duffy is from Australia.

Coach Schlarman recruited Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Kash Daniel, Kyle Meadows, Logan Stenberg, Austin Dotson. He helped with Nick Lewis and Kenneth Horsey. Young was a 5 star prospect.

How do you explain the fact that UK has more scholarship football players from the state of Kentucky than UL does? After all, UL represents our state's largest city, where most of our state's top talent is. Obviously, all these players you mentioned chose to expend their official visits elsewhere. This is their free choice. How would you propose to sign players who prefer to attend another college?

Coach House recruited TJ Carter, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, Jerquavion Mahone. He is our defensive coordinator. He formerly coached in the NFL for the Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams.

Coach Hinshaw recruited Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson, Gunnar Hoak. He is currently recruiting a list of 2019 quarterbacks.
I knew you would be the first to reply and I like how you didn't finish some of my sentences since you quoted me. I admitted that Schlarman got Young and Bunchy. Kash and Drake were coming here regardless. So was Dotson and he didn't have one other Power 5 offer so he didn't beat anybody out. They were UK all the way. Meadows was recruited by Stoops and Marrow primarily not Schlarman.

I also mentioned that Hinshaw is a fine QB coach but he hasn't killed it on the recruiting trail. Marrow recruited Hoak not Hinshaw. Hinshaw did find SJ and Wilson and those are good finds. Hinshaw's value is as a teacher and that's ok.

House was not the primary recruiter for Corker, Clink was. Carter has been a weak link on the DL and was not heavily recruited. Mahone was not heavily recruited either. They may turn out to be fine players but let's not act like House beat out some big boys for these guys (I know UT offered Mahone but they were desperate for bodies to fill out their class and UT is not a power anymore). I am high on Jamin Davis so he was a good sign. Yes House was in the NFL but was a Quality Control assistant at one stop. The other stop was for one year. He was DC at Pitt but when their HC left for Wisconsin he didn't invite House to go with him. I don't know how you can look at our defense and say he's a good DC. We were as bad this year as we were under Mike Major and we have much better talent now and play keep away on offense to help our defense out.

Every school loses home state recruits but we are getting waxed. We didn't sign anybody this year and it's not looking good for next year and there are some highly sought after players in next years crop. That is called a trend. I don't know how they change that other than make them more of a priority and use your better recruiters.

Last edited:
Reactions: thepip and Tskware
I knew you would be the first to reply and I like how you didn't finish some of my sentences since you quoted me. I admitted that Schlarman got Young and Bunchy. Kash and Drake were coming here regardless. They were UK all the way.

I also mentioned that Hinshaw is a fine QB coach but he hasn't killed it on the recruiting trail. Marrow recruited Hoak not Hinshaw. Hinshaw did find SJ and Wilson and those are good finds.

House was not the primary recruiter for Corker, Clink was. Carter has been a weak link on the DL and was not heavily recruited. Mahone was not heavily recruited either. They may turn out to be fine players but let's not act like House beat out some big boys for these guys (I know UT offered Mahone but they were desperate for bodies to fill out their class and UT is not a power anymore). I am high on Jamin Davis so he was a good sign. Yes House was in the NFL but was a Quality Control assistant at one stop. The other stop was for one year. He was DC at Pitt but when their HC left for Wisconsin he didn't invite House to go with him. I don't know how you can look at our defense and say he's a good DC. We were as bad this year as we were under Mike Major and we have much better talent now and play keep away on offense.

Every school loses home state recruits but we are getting waxed. We didn't sign anybody this year and it's not looking good for next year and there are some highly sought after players in next years crop. That is called a trend. I don't know how they change that other than make them more of a priority and use your better recruiters.
I know your mind will not be changed. I think the point is, some of your conclusions are based on demonstrably inaccurate beliefs. As already discussed.

There were 3 KY natives drafted in last years NFL draft, I have no idea who they were but I know none of them played at UK and I know it doesnt include the kid from Kentucky Wesleyan who made an impact on the Jaguars as a WR. There is some talent out there every year, but the problem with instate kids is that they arent as developed in high school as a lot of other states making it more difficult to spot who could contribute down the road at an SEC level. Historically 2-3 draft picks a year is what they state averages, which is equivalent to a 4-star prospect on these recruiting services problem is the 4-star kids never seem to pan out and its the ones that end up at EKU/WKU type schools that seem to develop.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/nfl-draft-state-by-state-florida-texas-georgia

As for development of KY kids, I have always heard for the past 20+ years, it is due that there is a restriction on spring practices. Anyone else remember, or think this is the root cause?

Inaccurate in your mind not mine.
Yes, as I said before, that's what you believe, and it's demonstrably inaccurate. John Schlarman recruited 2 of our starting offensive linemen, including the only 5 star signed here by Stoops. Schlarman recruited our 2018 starting Mike linebacker. But you said Schlarman "hasn't given us a whole lot in recruiting". So that's demonstrably false. You said Coach House is "pretty much useless". That's demonstrably false. You said Coach Hinshaw hasn't been a good recruiter, but that's demonstrably false. You said Stoops' recruiting priority has "shifted" to Ohio and Florida. Half of UK's 2018 recruiting class is from states other than Ohio and Florida. And, actually, UK's most current recruiting "shift" is toward Michigan and Louisiana. In any case, you said Stoops has prioritized Ohio and Florida ahead of instate recruiting. That is also demonstrably false, as Stoops has already offered scholarships to at least 9 football prospects in the 2019 instate class. Stoops himself has publicly stated numerous times that he is prioritizing instate recruiting. And, again, I know you won't change your mind. But when you repeatedly post statements about our program and our coaches that are known to be demonstrably false based on publicly available information, that negative propaganda should be challenged here.

Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame seem to think Kentucky kids are pretty good this year
Each school you mentioned is basically after 1 instate player. But let's stipulate that this could be the best instate class in at least several years. Let's agree on that. With that being the case, are Michigan, Ohio State, and Notre Dame prioritizing Kentucky over Ohio? No.

Reactions: pauled
As for development of KY kids, I have always heard for the past 20+ years, it is due that there is a restriction on spring practices. Anyone else remember, or think this is the root cause?

What type of restrictions for spring practice are there in Kentucky. Georgia is studying a big change in spring practice, it has changed a good bit over the last 20 years already. But it is a teaching time, no game to prepare for, finding people to fill positions and teaching new players. It can't be anything but good for player development.

The metro Atlanta area where the majority of the athletes in Georgia are found has exploded in population. Georgia could sigh a top 10 class out of Gwinett county every year, 45 min Fri campus. But many kids aren't native Georgians and free up in households who support other programs. This cycle was a little different, several of the top 10 were from different parts of the state and Kirby and McGee are very well liked by the hs coaches around the state, Pittman, the OL coach is known for getting linemen to the NFL, he has hit on every OL.he targeted the last 2 years, 3 5*, 6 4* and 2 3* guys he wanted.

Yes, as I said before, that's what you believe, and it's demonstrably inaccurate. John Schlarman recruited 2 of our starting offensive linemen, including the only 5 star signed here by Stoops. Schlarman recruited our 2018 starting Mike linebacker. But you said Schlarman "hasn't given us a whole lot in recruiting". So that's demonstrably false. You said Coach House is "pretty much useless". That's demonstrably false. You said Coach Hinshaw hasn't been a good recruiter, but that's demonstrably false. You said Stoops' recruiting priority has "shifted" to Ohio and Florida. Half of UK's 2018 recruiting class is from states other than Ohio and Florida. And, actually, UK's most current recruiting "shift" is toward Michigan and Louisiana. In any case, you said Stoops has prioritized Ohio and Florida ahead of instate recruiting. That is also demonstrably false, as Stoops has already offered scholarships to at least 9 football prospects in the 2019 instate class. Stoops himself has publicly stated numerous times that he is prioritizing instate recruiting. And, again, I know you won't change your mind. But when you repeatedly post statements about our program and our coaches that are known to be demonstrably false based on publicly available information, that negative propaganda should be challenged here.
And as I stated Young and Kash were coming to UK regardless. They were lifelong UK fans. He recruited Jackson also but he was a big UK fan too. Schlarman did find Bunchy but that doesn't make him a good recruiter. How is House not useless? You never answered that. I have my opinion and you have yours except mine are backed up by terrible defensive stats. And 14 of our 24 signees are from Ohio and Florida. That is more than half. Stoops may offer these in state kids but that doesn't mean that they prioritize them like they do kids from Ohio and Florida. If he did he would put one of our better recruiters on them like Marrow. I know most of his connections are in Ohio but he has gone into other states and signed kids. So no, my statements are not demonstrably false. They are backed up by cold, hard stats. Sorry if the truth hurts.

No, we have a coach that covers the state. If their is only 10 Div 1 kids in the state then hes got time to spare to keep up with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT