ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

Reports this morning are saying Khamari Anderson has committed to UK. Anderson, a highly recruited TE from Detroit, visited UK over the weekend. Anderson is an athletic inline TE who can block and catch. He is also projectable as an OLB. He was formerly committed to UC before Fickell departed.

UK's current 2023 class-

Nasir Addison, ATH, Irvington, NJ
Khamari Anderson, TE/LB, Detroit, MI
Jaremiah Anglin, DB, Lake Wales, FL
Ardell Banks, WR, Massillon, OH
Anthony Brown, slotR, Springfield, OH
Ty Bryant, DB, Lexington, KY
Jakob Dixon, WR, Louisville, KY
Grant Godfrey, LB, Suwanee, GA
Koby Keenum, OL, Florence, AL
Tanner Lemaster, TE, Washington CH, OH
Shamar Porter, WR, Nashville, TN
Austin Ramsey, OL Philadelphia, PA
Avery Stuart, DB, Montgomery, AL
Malachi Wood, OL, Richmond, KY
Tommy Ziesmer, LB, Danville, KY

I anticipate the next two weeks will be very active for commitments from hs seniors and from the portal. FWIW UK holds new crystal ball predictions for former Vandy RB Ray Davis, former N IL LT Marques Cox, and Douglasville hs RB Jamarion Wilcox. There are also some new reports that Winton Woods hs RB Trey Cornist may be a UK leaner now. A huge name to watch is edge LB Rico Walker from Hickory, NC, a widely recruited player who just completed his official visit to UK.

Nothing new today with regards to QB recruiting news, but there is every reason to believe Stoops and Liam Coen are hard at work on this. We don't necessarily need to take a QB before the end of the spring semester, but that would be optimal for sure. FWIW, Will Levis was a summer enrollee.
Would be nice to have a QB on board in the spring this go around though.

Reactions: The-Hack
Would be nice to have a QB on board in the spring this go around though.
Yes, it would be much better to have our next QB in practice in March and April. But the most important consideration is to get the right player for the starting job. Finding a successful starting QB for an SEC team is a big job. I guess we can assume Coen believes Mertz or Leary could do it. FWIW, Leary has been very injury prone in his college career.

I hope so one day as well, but at this point it’s unlikely with Degraff now coming in. I think the plan next year is for Degraff to do kickoffs and Smith to do field goals. Just my guess. Kellan will do well wherever he goes. He has a good head on his shoulders and I will follow him closely.
Yes. I hope to keep up with him and his career through you as well. Man it would’ve been so cool to have him here though. It’s not like he couldn’t help but he’s going to be fine and flourish. Kentucky will always keep trying to improve every position so who knows. Anyway, best of luck to him.

Reactions: Girthang
Having him back in form would be huge and big key for next sure.
Yeah I believe so to Soupbean. I think it really wasn’t the best spot for him but I’m sure the staff and his team thought it was worth the change for him. The older a man gets and when whatever we’re after, when that time starts getting closer to the end we have to make it count and I believe they’ll fix it. Hope so for him personally, but also think it really helps the Cats just as much.

Reactions: Soupbean
Yes, it would be much better to have our next QB in practice in March and April. But the most important consideration is to get the right player for the starting job. Finding a successful starting QB for an SEC team is a big job. I guess we can assume Coen believes Mertz or Leary could do it. FWIW, Leary has been very injury prone in his college career.
Did Coen recruit any of the QBs currently on the roster?

Yes. I hope to keep up with him and his career through you as well. Man it would’ve been so cool to have him here though. It’s not like he couldn’t help but he’s going to be fine and flourish. Kentucky will always keep trying to improve every position so who knows. Anyway, best of luck to him.
Thanks, I know people on here are probably sick of me talking about him, but that’s only because I’m an extremely proud uncle. Feel like I had a little part in his progression as I got him a kicking stand for him to practice with his freshman year. He still uses it to this day. He’s got a ton of use out of it.

Thanks, I know people on here are probably sick of me talking about him, but that’s only because I’m an extremely proud uncle. Feel like I had a little part in his progression as I got him a kicking stand for him to practice with his freshman year. He still uses it to this day. He’s got a ton of use out of it.
Not at all, I appreciate the updates. Best to you both.

Reactions: maroon79
Yeah I believe so to Soupbean. I think it really wasn’t the best spot for him but I’m sure the staff and his team thought it was worth the change for him. The older a man gets and when whatever we’re after, when that time starts getting closer to the end we have to make it count and I believe they’ll fix it. Hope so for him personally, but also think it really helps the Cats just as much.
No question. Kind of felt like they were trying to morph him into another Josh Pasqual type hybrid DL/DE and it didn’t work out. Probably needs to get beef back

Reactions: JASUN74
If he is better than the others I don't understand why he wouldn't walk on for a season to prove himself because you know he would eventually get a scholarship. Just do it like a normal student, best you can financially, knowing help will probably be coming eventually.

Update on current 2023 UK recruiting targets-

Khamari Anderson, TE, Detroit, MI
Demitrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN
CJ Blocker, DB, New Caney, TX
Trevor Carter, LB, Ironton, OH (UC commit)
Trey Cornist, RB, Cincinnati, OH
Jmaury Davis, ATH, Clarendon, TX (TT commit)
Karmello English, slotR, Phenix City, AL
Tavion Gadson, DL, Savannah, GA (FL St commit)
Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN (Purdue commit)
Robert Henry, RB, Ellisville, MS (Jones CC)
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL (FL commit)
Jacquez Keys, RB, Ironton, OH
Jordan Louie, RB, Norcross, GA
Braedyn Moore, ATH, Hamilton, OH
Asa Newsom, LB, Waverly, IA
Wm. Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN
Lamar Sperling, RB, Akron, OH (Buffalo commit)
Rahmir Stewart, DB, Philadelphia, PA
D'Juan Waller, DB, Youngstown, OH
Rico Walker, LB, Hickory, NC
The early signing date is approaching. Here are some updates and educated guesses since the above was posted. At the conclusion of each update, I will give a number from 1-10 (10 indicates a sure thing), indicating my latest personal guess at our coaching staff's relative chance to get the player signed.

Khamari Anderson, TE- Has verballed to UK. One of the top offensive prospects in our 2023 class. (10)

Demitrius Bell, WR- Still in play for UK, but reportedly has 9 SEC scholarship offers. Would be an ideal addition, but could be an uphill battle for our staff. Probably the best uncommitted hs offensive prospect left on Stoops' 2023 offensive list. (3)

CJ Blocker, DB- Visited UK last weekend and is scheduled to visit SCal next weekend. If he makes the trip to LA, UK's chances decrease. (4)

Trevor Carter, LB- Still committed to UC. Carter and Marrow are talking, but I see nothing yet to give optimism here. (2)

Trey Cornist, RB- UK always recruits Winton Woods hs hard. There is some circumstantial evidence that Cornist might end up at UK. This would be good for our class, because Cornist is built like Chris Rodriguez and has some similar raw athletic tools. We should watch this one closely over the next week. (7)

Jmaury Davis, ATH- I don't see anything happening here for UK. (1)

Karmello English, slotR- His recruitment has been chaotic. Was interested in UK but then verballed to Auburn. Then decommitted from Auburn. It looks like he may still be interested in UK. Something could happen for us here. (6)

Tavion Gadson, DL- Still committed to FL St, but will visit UK soon. (4)

Kendrick Gilbert, DL- Still committed to Purdue, but I think his recruitment has opened back up. The signs are that he is considering several alternatives. (4)

Robert Henry, RB- I don't think Henry is still talking with our staff. (2)

Devin Hyatt, WR- High level prospect with a lot of options. He visited Lexington about a month ago. (3)

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB- Still committed to FL. Most of the schools in the SEC would love to flip him. (4)

Jacquez Keys, RB- Decommitted from WI and appears to be talking with Coach Marrow. My guess is that he could easily end up at UK if Coach Stoops misses on Wilcox or Cornist. (4)

Jordan Louie, RB- He cancelled his visit to UK, and I suspect he does not have a committable offer here. (1)

Braedyn Moore, ATH- Not happening. (1)

Asa Newsom, LB- Have to figure IA is the favorite, but UK's staff has been recruiting him hard. (4)

William Spencer, OL- Had previously been a UK leaner, but Jeff Brohm's move to UL may change this. (5)

Lamar Sperling, RB- Still a Buffalo commit. I think his dialog with UK is probably over. (1)

Rahmir Stewart, DB- Cancelled his visit to UK. Might sign with Coach Prime at CO. (1)

D'Juan Waller, DB- Recent visitor from Youngstown. Has fantastic length for a safety, and could grow into a LB. Comes from the same OH town as Stoops and Marrow. The question is whether his UK offer is committable. (4)

Rico Walker, LB- Former UNC commit recently visited UK. He is an edge player with high upside and would be a great fit in Stoops' 2023 class. (6)

Jamarion Wilcox, RB- Likely a UK leaner at this point. (7)

The early signing date is approaching. Here are some updates and educated guesses since the above was posted. At the conclusion of each update, I will give a number from 1-10 (10 indicates a sure thing), indicating my latest personal guess at our coaching staff's relative chance to get the player signed.

Khamari Anderson, TE- Has verballed to UK. One of the top offensive prospects in our 2023 class. (10)

Demitrius Bell, WR- Still in play for UK, but reportedly has 9 SEC scholarship offers. Would be an ideal addition, but could be an uphill battle for our staff. Probably the best uncommitted hs offensive prospect left on Stoops' 2023 offensive list. (3)

CJ Blocker, DB- Visited UK last weekend and is scheduled to visit SCal next weekend. If he makes the trip to LA, UK's chances decrease. (4)

Trevor Carter, LB- Still committed to UC. Carter and Marrow are talking, but I see nothing yet to give optimism here. (2)

Trey Cornist, RB- UK always recruits Winton Woods hs hard. There is some circumstantial evidence that Cornist might end up at UK. This would be good for our class, because Cornist is built like Chris Rodriguez and has some similar raw athletic tools. We should watch this one closely over the next week. (7)

Jmaury Davis, ATH- I don't see anything happening here for UK. (1)

Karmello English, slotR- His recruitment has been chaotic. Was interested in UK but then verballed to Auburn. Then decommitted from Auburn. It looks like he may still be interested in UK. Something could happen for us here. (6)

Tavion Gadson, DL- Still committed to FL St, but will visit UK soon. (4)

Kendrick Gilbert, DL- Still committed to Purdue, but I think his recruitment has opened back up. The signs are that he is considering several alternatives. (4)

Robert Henry, RB- I don't think Henry is still talking with our staff. (2)

Devin Hyatt, WR- High level prospect with a lot of options. He visited Lexington about a month ago. (3)

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB- Still committed to FL. Most of the schools in the SEC would love to flip him. (4)

Jacquez Keys, RB- Decommitted from WI and appears to be talking with Coach Marrow. My guess is that he could easily end up at UK if Coach Stoops misses on Wilcox or Cornist. (4)

Jordan Louie, RB- He cancelled his visit to UK, and I suspect he does not have a committable offer here. (1)

Braedyn Moore, ATH- Not happening. (1)

Asa Newsom, LB- Have to figure IA is the favorite, but UK's staff has been recruiting him hard. (4)

William Spencer, OL- Had previously been a UK leaner, but Jeff Brohm's move to UL may change this. (5)

Lamar Sperling, RB- Still a Buffalo commit. I think his dialog with UK is probably over. (1)

Rahmir Stewart, DB- Cancelled his visit to UK. Might sign with Coach Prime at CO. (1)

D'Juan Waller, DB- Recent visitor from Youngstown. Has fantastic length for a safety, and could grow into a LB. Comes from the same OH town as Stoops and Marrow. The question is whether his UK offer is committable. (4)

Rico Walker, LB- Former UNC commit recently visited UK. He is an edge player with high upside and would be a great fit in Stoops' 2023 class. (6)

Jamarion Wilcox, RB- Likely a UK leaner at this point. (7)
From thinking how conservative you have been in the past with rating our chances on prospects, :- I 100% understand that by the way-; , as well as them being high school age kids, (you know, not knowing what they want from day to day), lol, I still can’t help being impressed with how we may end this class. Some really important and impressive youngsters you’ve listed and as always, we know they’ll be a surprise or two at the wire, I really think we’ll be happy. I mean it’s definitely nice to look at having a top ten (on paper) class, but filling the needs of the team are the most important, and in my opinion, the biggest challenge of our current roster. I absolutely think the staff has went though every position and they’re trying their best to improve overall. I believe in the end, a couple years from now, we’ll all be able to look back at this class and be impressed with the results. Just my thoughts and opinion on this but I do like the layout of this class.
I also want to add that I’m very excited about the potential portal guys were going to be bringing in. I have and will always believe that Football takes a village to win games, it’s 100 plus people working tirelessly for years to become relevant and have a chance to be really good. Saying that though, lol, if you’re already pretty good and have some experience and really good players around you, I believe two or three big time players can make a huge impact and take you to new levels. Im hoping this year will be one of those years. Anyway, sorry about the book, i just get excited about my Cats like we all do occasionally. Ha. Go Cats

What the heck did Stoops do to his arm? In the recruiting pics I see he is wearing a well secured sling on his left arm. I am kind of used to seeing our players wearing things like that, but not so much when it comes to our coaches!

What the heck did Stoops do to his arm? In the recruiting pics I see he is wearing a well secured sling on his left arm. I am kind of used to seeing our players wearing things like that, but not so much when it comes to our coaches!
He had shoulder surgery right after the season ended.

We can remove CJ Blocker from the list. Recommitted to Utah.
Right. Blocker is off our list now, but I always thought he would be tough to sign. The only reason I gave a score of "4" for Blocker was because he just visited Lexington. And based on that, I would have given him a "5" if not for the fact that he had a visit scheduled to SCal for this coming weekend. But as it turned out, he never made it to LA.

Keidron Smith and Carrington Valentine are our 2022 starting CBs. Smith is graduating. Valentine still hasn't clarified his plans, but Andru Phillips and Maxwell Hairston will be back. Phillips had a strong season. Stoops has said he will take a look at Alex Afari at a corner in the spring, and IIRC Afari was originally recruited as a future CB. It seems to me that adding JQ Hardaway, if we can do that, would be ideal. Hardaway, who has already visited Lexington, has multiple years of eligibility left. He would be an impact addition. Khyree Jackson would be another strong alternative, but Jackson hasn't visited Lexington. Still out there, Ja'Keem Jackson remains committed to FL but has visited Lexington. His big brother is on UK's track team. We need to add a CB. If Valentine leaves, we need two.

Right. Blocker is off our list now, but I always thought he would be tough to sign. The only reason I gave a score of "4" for Blocker was because he just visited Lexington. And based on that, I would have given him a "5" if not for the fact that he had a visit scheduled to SCal for this coming weekend. But as it turned out, he never made it to LA.

Keidron Smith and Carrington Valentine are our 2022 starting CBs. Smith is graduating. Valentine still hasn't clarified his plans, but Andru Phillips and Maxwell Hairston will be back. Phillips had a strong season. Stoops has said he will take a look at Alex Afari at a corner in the spring, and IIRC Afari was originally recruited as a future CB. It seems to me that adding JQ Hardaway, if we can do that, would be ideal. Hardaway, who has already visited Lexington, has multiple years of eligibility left. He would be an impact addition. Khyree Jackson would be another strong alternative, but Jackson hasn't visited Lexington. Still out there, Ja'Keem Jackson remains committed to FL but has visited Lexington. His big brother is on UK's track team. We need to add a CB. If Valentine leaves, we need two.
I’ve been told that Valentine entering the draft or the portal is likely . And I realize the portal would be surprising.

• Wow
I’ve been told that Valentine entering the draft or the portal is likely . And I realize the portal would be surprising.
If true, really hate to see that. Maybe the same coach who has been talking with Justin Rogers can convince Valentine to stick around for another season. I think both Valentine and Rogers can improve their draft status by playing at UK another year.

But if Rogers were to go, Josaih Hayes or Deone Walker would slide into that starting role. The situation at CB is not quite that solid. If Valentine goes, Stoops would almost certainly sign a transfer CB. As I suggested earlier, I really like JQ Hardaway with his multiple years of eligibility. But there are other possibilities.

If true, really hate to see that. Maybe the same coach who has been talking with Justin Rogers can convince Valentine to stick around for another season. I think both Valentine and Rogers can improve their draft status by playing at UK another year.

But if Rogers were to go, Josaih Hayes or Deone Walker would slide into that starting role. The situation at CB is not quite that solid. If Valentine goes, Stoops would almost certainly sign a transfer CB. As I suggested earlier, I really like JQ Hardaway with his multiple years of eligibility. But there are other possibilities.
I get the vibe that Valentine isn’t as open for advice as Rogers .

Here are some recruiting questions that are on people's minds this week. I will offer my uneducated guesses.

How many UK scholarships are still available now?

The NCAA roster limit is 85. This morning, I count 53 scholarship players scheduled to be back in 2023. Not counted in that total, we still don't know what JJ Weaver, Carrington Valentine, Ramon Jefferson, and Ken Horsey will decide. So that could take the number of returners as high as 57, but we won't know some of these players' plans until the summer. Offsetting that, there are bound to be more outbound transfers after the bowl game and after spring practice. Currently, Coach Stoops has 15 verbal commitments to his 2023 class plus a commitment from transfer Tanner Bowles. So we may have as few as 12 more scholarships to fill, or OTOH possibly more than 16 if there are more outbound transfers and if Weaver, Valentine, Jefferson, and Horsey all go. In either case, Stoops could take a full class if he wants. But if he wants to take a bunch of transfers out of the portal, he won't have enough scholarships to take a full class of hs seniors. This will no doubt depend on whether he can get the guys he wants most. That is playing out now, even as we speak.

Next UK commitment from the portal?

My best guess, Ray Davis. But it could also be Marquez Cox or even JQ Hardaway, both of whom recently visited Lexington.

Most important transfer UK's coaches are currently recruiting from the portal?

My top choice is JQ Hardaway, because he can give Coach White multiple seasons of lockdown coverage on our perimeter. Any QB Liam Coen likes would also be right up there on this list. The only transfer QB known to have visited Lexington so far is Devin Leary.

How many transfers will Stoops take from the portal this time?

Not counting Duece Hogan, a walk-on, we took 8 transfers last year. I think this year's total will be about the same, say, 7-8 inbound transfers this time. This counts Tanner Bowles plus any more transfers who commit to UK between now and next August.

Next UK commitment from a hs senior?

My best guess, Jamarion Wilcox or Trey Cornist. But Karmello English is another possibility if he has the grades. This close to the ESD, it could be almost anyone.

Most important uncommitted hs senior currently being recruited by UK's coaches?

Rico Walker is perfect for our remaining defensive roster needs. Runner-up would be Demitrius Bell.

Best chance for a flip by an elsewhere-committed prospect to UK this month?

Apparently Ja'Keem Jackson (from FL), but I am not counting on that happening. We could still pull in Kendrick Gilbert (from Purdue) or Tavion Gadson (from FL St), but Gadson is the only one of these three visiting Lexington this month and he has put off his decision until February. In prior years, there has been a tendency for one or more players to flip to UK unexpectedly in February. Pleasant last minute surprises. It could easily happen this year.

Last edited:
If he is better than the others I don't understand why he wouldn't walk on for a season to prove himself because you know he would eventually get a scholarship. Just do it like a normal student, best you can financially, knowing help will probably be coming eventually.
Well, he’s going to have preferred walk on offers and possibly scholarship offers coming in soon. He would accept a preferred walk on position, but it seems UK has their sights on Degraff and Smith. The staff still has to accept you as a walk-on. There will be better opportunities in a less crowded field at other schools.

Here are some recruiting questions that are on people's minds this week. I will offer my uneducated guesses.

How many UK scholarships are still available now?

The NCAA roster limit is 85. This morning, I count 53 scholarship players scheduled to be back in 2023. Not counted in that total, we still don't know what JJ Weaver, Carrington Valentine, Ramon Jefferson, and Ken Horsey will decide. So that could take the number of returners as high as 57, but we won't know some of these players' plans until the summer. Offsetting that, there are bound to be more outbound transfers after the bowl game and after spring practice. Currently, Coach Stoops has 15 verbal commitments to his 2023 class plus a commitment from transfer Tanner Bowles. So we may have as few as 12 more scholarships to fill, or OTOH possibly more than 16 if there are more outbound transfers and if Weaver, Valentine, Jefferson, and Horsey all go. In either case, Stoops could take a full class if he wants. But if he wants to take a bunch of transfers out of the portal, he won't have enough scholarships to take a full class of hs seniors. This will no doubt depend on whether he can get the guys he wants most. That is playing out now, even as we speak.

Next UK commitment from the portal?

My best guess, Ray Davis. But it could also be Marquez Cox or even JQ Hardaway, both of whom recently visited Lexington.

Most important transfer UK's coaches are currently recruiting from the portal?

My top choice is JQ Hardaway, because he can give Coach White multiple seasons of lockdown coverage on our perimeter. Any QB Liam Coen likes would also be right up there on this list. The only transfer QB known to have visited Lexington so far is Devin Leary.

How many transfers will Stoops take from the portal this time?

Not counting Duece Hogan, a walk-on, we took 8 transfers last year. I think this year's total will be about the same, say, 7-8 inbound transfers this time. This counts Tanner Bowles plus any more transfers who commit to UK between now and next August.

Next UK commitment from a hs senior?

My best guess, Jamarion Wilcox or Trey Cornist. But Karmello English is another possibility if he has the grades. This close to the ESD, it could be almost anyone.

Most important uncommitted hs senior currently being recruited by UK's coaches?

Rico Walker is perfect for our remaining defensive roster needs. Runner-up would be Demitrius Bell.

Best chance for a flip by a committed prospect to UK this month?

Apparently Ja'Keem Jackson (from FL), but I am not counting on that happening. We could still pull in Kendrick Gilbert (from Purdue) or Tavion Gadson (from FL St), but Gadson is the only one of these three visiting Lexington this month and he has put off his decision until February. In prior years, there has been a tendency for one or more players to flip to UK unexpectedly in February. Pleasant last minute surprises. It could easily happen this year.
A couple things that seem interesting to me. It's been said UK is in good shape with English and Bell. There is absolutely zero you can see happening with them. Coaches had in homes with guys in the same area but doesn'took like they seen them. There is nothing on there social media of any visits at all. I know I have see that both could have grade issues of course nothing confirmed but you mentioned it here. I wonder if either will sign early or if they'll wait like gadsen.

It appears Gadsen will not be staying with FSU. Farrell's take was that with him waiting FSU and him are parting ways. Jr basically said the same thing. He is also visiting Tenn in January. Just seems when these kids string it out like that other offers come in late and seems hard to get them in February

A couple things that seem interesting to me. It's been said UK is in good shape with English and Bell. There is absolutely zero you can see happening with them. Coaches had in homes with guys in the same area but doesn'took like they seen them. There is nothing on there social media of any visits at all. I know I have see that both could have grade issues of course nothing confirmed but you mentioned it here. I wonder if either will sign early or if they'll wait like gadsen.

It appears Gadsen will not be staying with FSU. Farrell's take was that with him waiting FSU and him are parting ways. Jr basically said the same thing. He is also visiting Tenn in January. Just seems when these kids string it out like that other offers come in late and seems hard to get them in February
Would love for UK to add Gadson. FWIW I can't find any reports that he will visit other schools besides UK this month. He is scheduled to visit Lexington this coming weekend. If he shows up for the visit, then we can get excited about this. He visited Minnesota and FL St last June. Looks like we are in pretty good shape but still have some work to do there.

Like you, I see no current evidence to hint what Bell or English will do. In English's case, it could be UK by default, since he has already exhausted some other options including AL and Auburn. I feel better about English than about Bell. Bell holds at least 9 SEC offers. Some of these may not be committable now, but he has talent and can still go a lot of different directions. On the positive side, he is a friend of Barion Brown. But OTOH, UK had a pretty bad offense this year, and Liam Coen may not have had a chance to talk with Bell yet. Nutshell, Bell is Scott Woodward's recruit to win or lose. Woodward is recruiting Porter, so we know he can get the job done. But like you say, there has not been any news on Bell in several months. That could be good or bad, but it usually isn't good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT