ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

Week and a half till the second signing date. I am inclined to believe UK will probably sign another player, since our coaches are still recruiting 2023 prospects. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Yes, he did say that. Will be very interesting to see who he had in mind.
Blue Johnson said at early signing that they were close with Gilbert. He says it is coming down to NIL. That would make sense with Stewart saying they weren't done. With Gilbert I will believe it when I see it. Also Marrow had Woo at the game today.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Yes, he did say that. Will be very interesting to see who he had in mind.

The Cloud kid from Ga? The ever-present Gilbert? A true surprise?
Blue Johnson said at early signing that they were close with Gilbert. He says it is coming down to NIL. That would make sense with Stewart saying they weren't done. With Gilbert I will believe it when I see it. Also Marrow had Woo at the game today.

"Blue Johnson" ?

The Cloud kid from Ga? The ever-present Gilbert? A true surprise?

"Blue Johnson" ?
The guy that reported Coen was a done deal in early December. He was trending on Twitter for some bold statements he made guaranteeing it was done.

Be great to get Woo locked up tomorrow & he cancels UL visit next weekend. As others said if he goes to UL next week that's prob the pick.

With Gilbert if the choice is about NIL, I like UKs chances over Purdue. From what I've read they are not great in that area. If he were considering UL wouldn't he have visited?

Reactions: Girthang
Be great to get Woo locked up tomorrow & he cancels UL visit next weekend. As others said if he goes to UL next week that's prob the pick.

With Gilbert if the choice is about NIL, I like UKs chances over Purdue. From what I've read they are not great in that area. If he were considering UL wouldn't he have visited?
In Spencer's case, I think you nailed it. Coach Marrow recently had an inhome visit in Louisville with Spencer's family. Marrow has an opportunity to close the deal this weekend and get Spencer's commitment. But if Spencer makes the visit to UL next weekend, then you have to think the final visit would give UL the advantage. There is no doubt that Jeff Brohm's hiring changed Spencer's thoughts about UL. Unlike some posters, I don't view Spencer's decision as a major key to the outcome of UK's class. It would undoubtedly be good to sign Spencer for all the obvious reasons, but I like Grant Bingham, Austin Ramsey, and Haynes Johnson too. If Spencer was a true OT or a DT, I would feel a little differently. But he is being recruited as an OG, and that is not currently a position of need compared to the other trench positions.

In the case of Gilbert, I felt confident over the summer because there was evidence that Gilbert really liked UK. And if I was Gilbert, I would notice that most of UK's successful defensive linemen are seniors and juniors. But the longer Gilbert's recruitment has gotten drawn out, the less confident I have felt about signing him. Then Stoops took Tavion Gadson out of Savannah. Of course, Gadson and Gilbert are not mutually exclusive. They might not even play the same position. It would be nice to sign both. But Gilbert has had so many prior opportunities to commit to UK. It could still happen, but you really begin to wonder what Coach Stewart and Coach White can do now to seal the deal that they haven't done before now. No doubt, football recruiting is a complicated challenge.

Reactions: JHB4UK and Girthang
i just seen where we got a commitment from a kicker Jackson Moore
I trust you, but I haven't been able to find a confirmation of this yet. Jackson Moore is a 5'10" 150# placekicker from Marvin Hill hs in the state of NC. He was the 7th-ranked placekicker at the Cedric Oglesby Kicking Academy in 2022 in Atlanta. If this is happening, I assume he would be a PWO since we are getting low on open scholarships.

I trust you, but I haven't been able to find a confirmation of this yet. Jackson Moore is a 5'10" 150# placekicker from Marvin Hill hs in the state of NC. He was the 7th-ranked placekicker at the Cedric Oglesby Kicking Academy in 2022 in Atlanta. If this is happening, I assume he would be a PWO since we are getting low on open scholarships.
i think it was @JRowland that posted it on twitter

Last edited:
Saw in one of these threads last week where UK apparently cut ties with a previously committed kicker. Also noticed this player is following Boulware, UK's de facto ST coach, on Twitter. Watched his vid, he actually looked a little slow on his PKs but put all his KOs in EZ. Have no idea if he's a WO or scholarship guy.

Really hoping Nik Hall becomes a player.
Nik Hall has everything you want in a Power 5 tackle. Long, strong body, long arms, good feet. Son of a former NFL player. Played against excellent hs competition in Austin, TX. Based on what I have read, the hope inside the program is that Hall can handle the starting LT job after Marques Cox uses up his eligibility. They really like him, which says a lot.

I’m not wild about seeing Chris Vaughn in Louisville gear.
Times they are a changing…

Saw in one of these threads last week where UK apparently cut ties with a previously committed kicker. Also noticed this player is following Boulware, UK's de facto ST coach, on Twitter. Watched his vid, he actually looked a little slow on his PKs but put all his KOs in EZ. Have no idea if he's a WO or scholarship guy.
The kicker that decommitted wasn't a placekicker, he was a punter, Carter Schwartz.

Coach Boulware is taking the bull by the horns. Given his prior record, I am confident he will fix our special teams.

Is he suppose to be better than the kicker from Kentucky that wanted to come here?
We will find out, My nephew committed to Miami OH last week. Kicked the second most field goals in State History and UK wouldn't make an effort to keep him in state. P5 schools treat kickers like scraps. Non-P% schools seem to value kickers a lot more. Miami Oh showed him the most love.

Wasn’t Jackson Smith the #1 ranked kicker in the country his Sr year??))
I don't recall seeing him listed as that anywhere, but I could be mistaken. He was first team All-State his Junior and Senior year. My nephew was second team that year despite having better stats than Jackson Smith. yeah, I'm biased. LOL. Regardless, I hope Smith does well here, I'm a UK fan through and through, so I want the best from all the players on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT