ADVERTISEMENT

Staff changes no longer expected per MJ

No other way to look at this than a slap in Mitch’s face.

Only positive takeaway for me would be that this is a very strong indicator that nothing will change next year, which I suspect will spell the end for Cals tenure at UK.

Did people really expect big changes? Like I said in another thread- I’m not even mad anymore, just waiting for this mess to end. I don’t expect UK to win anything of worth for awhile. Hopefully we can cut ties next year and let the new guy start the rebuild. Cal is washed up and delusional.

This is no different and pretty much the equivalent to the way he handled the starting lineup all season. He knew the fans wanted a lineup change but he had to show us he’s the boss, even if it was detrimental to the season.
Same with this, he knows the fans expect consequences and repercussions for this failure of a season. He’s saying screw you I’m the boss to the fanbase!!
How anyone can still support this clown of a man is beyond me.

Done with this stupid f*ck.

He cares more about getting guys to the NBA and doing it "his way" than he does winning. He'd rather try with freshman than succeed with older guys. He'd rather keep his buddies in their AC positions and spare their feelings than win.

You don't race the Tour De France with a Wal-Mart bike just to show the world you can do it your way. You use the best bike. People research the best peddles, the best shoes, the best riding clothes.

People look for any little millisecond advantage they can gain in sports. And we can't do the big stuff. We won't buy a new bike. We won't start our best players. We won't play our best lineups. We won't shift to Juniors and Seniors like everyone in the Final 4 has done.

We're just gonna keep riding our Wal-Mart bike, and beating our chests saying dumb $hit like "This is Kentucky. There's a standard."

If there's a standard, then start acting like it. Treat every part of this thing like it matters. Nate Oats has a 3rd party analytics company. John Calipari can't spell analytics.

Done with this stupid f*ck.

He cares more about getting guys to the NBA and doing it "his way" than he does winning. He'd rather try with freshman than succeed with older guys. He'd rather keep his buddies in their AC positions and spare their feelings than win.

You don't race the Tour De France with a Wal-Mart bike just to show the world you can do it your way. You use the best bike. People research the best peddles, the best shoes, the best riding clothes.

People look for any little millisecond advantage they can gain in sports. And we can't do the big stuff. We won't buy a new bike. We won't start our best players. We won't play our best lineups. We won't shift to Juniors and Seniors like everyone in the Final 4 has done.

We're just gonna keep riding our Wal-Mart bike, and beating our chests saying dumb $hit like "This is Kentucky. There's a standard."

If there's a standard, then start acting like it. Treat every part of this thing like it matters. Nate Oats has a 3rd party analytics company. John Calipari can't spell analytics.
It’s pathetic. I’m starting to get onboard that Cal is daring for the buyout.

That's what we should have expected from the no-talent grifter and the feckless spendthrift. The grifter lies to everyone just as easily as he fools himself and the feckless AD just wants to hide and avoid confrontation. 😖😡

So what?

These guys could be great assistants. Sure get the job done recruiting. Welch did a great job on offense.

I bet the assistants could fix the defense if the HC would be flexible enough to delegate the defense and accept input. Be willing to make changes. All come with great experience.

One trick pony HC. Doesn’t want to scout. Doesn’t want to mix defenses. Doesn’t want to recruit to a system just wants 5stars and then hope they mesh.

Let the assistants coach!

Reactions: CatsFanIL
This confirms to me that Cal and Mitch will ‘retire’ after next year. Cal doesn’t wanna take anyone’s hearts on his way out the door.
I think this is exactly right. Not sure about Mitch, but it’s obvious to me this will be Calipari’s last rodeo.

This is no different and pretty much the equivalent to the way he handled the starting lineup all season. He knew the fans wanted a lineup change but he had to show us he’s the boss, even if it was detrimental to the season.
Same with this, he knows the fans expect consequences and repercussions for this failure of a season. He’s saying screw you I’m the boss to the fanbase!!
How anyone can still support this clown of a man is beyond me.
He did the same thing last season. The “Benny lineup” was not only the most efficient group in the country, on both ends of the floor, but, it had been the most efficient lineup (offense AND defense) that any team had used over the last 5 years. And, we had to beg him to play them together. Which didn’t work bc they only averaged something like 2 mpg on the floor together all season.

I’ve never seen anything like this in 45 years of closely following several different sports. Most coaches like to win, lol. But, he’s openly admitted (bragged) that he prioritizes individual success over team goals, so, it shouldn’t be a surprise.

But, it IS hard to believe that an AD & an entire administration would stand idly by & allow him to pimp out the greatest college basketball program of all time just so he can continue his quest to end “generational poverty” for a cpl players per year &, of course, to also feed his massive ego. And, all at the expense of winning & maintaining historical standards. F him right in the goat ass.

Last edited:
While I agree this is more terrible program management....but what difference would firing Bruiser have made?

1. We are recruiting just normal....(so it's not like we need to get rid of Justice/Barbee that were not getting dudes)
2. Cal isn't going to change his coaching crappy ways
- No Zone defense
- Preferring highest rated kids in playing time, longer leashes
- "Don't blame the kids, blame me" mantra....that aint' changing
- Players first over program
- etc......

So what difference would firing a Bruiser and hiring a KT TUrner have made either way?

It's sort of dumb to have 6 assistant coaches for b-ball....3 was fine back in the day. Thsi is just more college sports changing for the worse

Last edited:
If he said tomorrow next season is his last I could cheer for him. But the middle finger he's giving everyone is causing toxins within our program and the meltdown next season only makes it worse. Just do the right thing and say it's been great bbn and I'll give everything to next season before I go.

Cal knows all the shit fans say about him, he here’s the noise despite what he says. You would think he would shove it in our face by showing he still has it but I think it’s been long enough now he just doesn’t have it and he knows it so he can’t do that. Just a total con job over the BBN.

This is why he will not change. There's no pressure. No accountability. He knows he's got UK in a pinch. His ego runs evetything.

Yep. Mitch had zero leverage. Cal can say and do whatever he wants. He's untouchable thanks to that deal.

The problem has always been Barnhart. Cal might be a below ave coach but he can still recruit. The problems with the program, the program, falls on the Admin. And AD.

The only changes to his staff Cal is going to make is bringing back Tony Barbee and adding a little chair at the end of the bench for Brad.

This program has become a gong show.

Next step, since he said he wanted to get older, he will sign 3 more Freshmen.
BBN needs to start saying the opposite of what we actually want lol. “Start 5 freshman every game, Cal! Don’t switch up the staff. Clog the lane up! No reason to ever play a zone!”

Let us all become petty with him. Half joking here.

How can you NOT fire whoever was responsible for defense at least?
The head coach is responsible for everything. You don't wait an entire season not changing anything and then fire the coach who might have been the defensive coach.

Reactions: ck-2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT