ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
Is Spring Practice going on or when does it start? Are we anticipating portal additions and subtractions following these practices?

The OL depth chart right now is OLT Cox and Wood. OLG is Ray, Christian, Rodriguez and Selm. Center is Cox, Keenum and Johnson. ROG is Burton, Farmer and Ramsey. ORT is Mincey, Ford and Nave. They have over 8,000 snaps between them so the experience is going to be there. Looks like Stoops compliment of Wood is real with him being #2 at OLT. Of course Ray and Ford could go there if Wood not ready yet.

The OL depth chart right now is OLT Cox and Wood. OLG is Ray, Christian, Rodriguez and Selm. Center is Cox, Keenum and Johnson. ROG is Burton, Farmer and Ramsey. ORT is Mincey, Ford and Nave. They have over 8,000 snaps between them so the experience is going to be there. Looks like Stoops compliment of Wood is real with him being #2 at OLT. Of course Ray and Ford could go there if Wood not ready yet.
Glad to see that about Wood. Excited to see his development under EW.

Did the team provide a pre-spring depth chart?

Stoops hinted at some injuries during pro day presser. Have we heard about any injuries this spring, other than Ford being out?

Stoops hinted at some injuries during pro day presser. Have we heard about any injuries this spring, other than Ford being out?
Think Maclin is one. Brown called Gilmore a freak of nature and is going to be great. Hamdan also said that Gilmore is one of the most talented 17 year old WR's he has ever been around. Apparently Farrier has looked good also.

Last edited:
Thought it interesting that an emphasis has been put on the OL getting much stronger and are practicing to drive people downfield on their blocks. One player said they have changed the way they lift, practice and play. Wolford also using the spring to get the OL back to the physicality the Big Blue Wall used to have. Have heard the depth is better this year also.

Think Maclin is one. Brown called Gilmore a freak of nature and is going to be great. Hamdan also said that Gilmore is one of the most talented 17 year old WR's he has ever been around. Apparently Farrier has looked good also.

I caught Brown’s comment about Mack as well, saying they have not yet seen him.

Thought it interesting that an emphasis has been put on the OL getting much stronger and are practicing to drive people downfield on their blocks. One player said they have changed the way they lift, practice and play. Wolford also using the spring to get the OL back to the physicality the Big Blue Wall used to have. Have heard the depth is better this year also.

Wolf’s lack of response about his Youngstown meeting with Stoops was interesting. He also made a point to state how thin UK was on the line when he was here for his first stint, saying they needed to import Rosenthal just to have a starting five. In the other hand, he had a damn good line. Rosenthal was a talent, just not mature.

Reactions: JrandoUK
Coen treated Ray Davis after the Florida game like Gillespie did Jodie Meeks after the Tennessee game

Tell me when I'm telling lies

Coen spent the next few days telling everyone that was an aberration and saying we were dedicated to throwing the ball. I never recall the first but of praise for a historic day. Very bizarre.

Then he went on to never get another game with good touches, despite always being productive. It was pretty amazing the numbers he put up with limited touches.

I never understood it

• Angry
Reactions: Girthang
Then he went on to never get another game with good touches, despite always being productive.
True, until nail-biting times against U of L and Clemson . . . hand-offs, 30 yard gains and wheel-routes into the end zone magically arose for Ray Davis when we absolutely, positively had to have them.

Otherwise, he was kind of a forgotten talent.

And his production (TD’s produced every 9.9 touches) is second only to the magical 1988 season of Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State, exceeding many Heisman trophy winners.

Saw a micd up piece just released to social media from UK football. I really like the attitude and approach. Much more ground up thought process and approach. Coen was big picture down, which is why we had so many turnovers and penalties under his guidance.

Jmo but that's also probably the difference between a college coach and an NFL one. The NFL guys assumed a certain level of foundational competence, which was rarely the case for a college player.

Excited to see how we look.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
True, until nail-biting times against U of L and Clemson . . . hand-offs, 30 yard gains and wheel-routes into the end zone magically arose for Ray Davis when we absolutely, positively had to have them.

Otherwise, he was kind of a forgotten talent.

And his production (TD’s produced every 9.9 touches) is second only to the magical 1988 season of Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State, exceeding many Heisman trophy winners.

And, of course, Aaron Boone at UK I believe...

Reactions: The-Hack
Coen spent the next few days telling everyone that was an aberration and saying we were dedicated to throwing the ball. I never recall the first but of praise for a historic day. Very bizarre.

Then he went on to never get another game with good touches, despite always being productive. It was pretty amazing the numbers he put up with limited touches.

I never understood it

Yep. As aggravating as Cal and his distribution of real minutes and running plays through and for people. Ray was going to set a record for yards in a game ffs, and then didn't get a sneeze until it was more than clear we couldn't pass the ball.

He could be as much of an idiot as the last OC.

MFer, we could pass the ball all day if you'd get the MF running game going! Still fires me up

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT