ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice updates?

You're seriously saying Sheron's game against USC was only as good as Dade's against Iowa? That would also have been Sheron's 2nd game of the season giving him an extra game under his wing. That's being completely naive.
- Sheron had 7 pts vs. USC and less than 100 yards passing until the final meaningless drive when USC was up 2 scores and playing prevent.
- Wade was a bit worse vs. Iowa.....but I'd argue Iowa had a better defense and CRod was also out that game which matters.

I didn't see much of anything in either QB to be honest which is underwhelming. Sheron looked like a dear in headlights in his first real action. Took bad sacks, stared down the pass rush, didn't look athletic at all. He did however put up a decent drive to end the game but again...it was all short stuff when USC was in prevent. Wade threw bad Ints and the most problematic....he didn't look like a great athlete with his legs. Looked Morgan Newton-ish....not bad but not going to extend plays a lot in SEC with his feet.

I agree with those that QB1 for future is not on current roster.

Only seeing each QB 1 whole game each, my overall impression was that Sheron played with more fire. Of course he has been there a couple years now and that helps. Considering that Sheron's first game was against an SEC school and he had no experience, it looked like he has some leadership qualities. He put a lot into his effort, you could see that he gave it his all. The coaches kept the game plan very simple for him, so his lack of experience did not allow him to have a lot of plays to work with. So with knowing how much of a disadvantage he had with lack of experience and lack of play calls to spread the field I can only go by his demeanor and try and get a feeling about his intangibles.

Wade had even less college preparation for a game against one of the best defenses year in and year out. He also was at such a disadvantage making his first appearance in a game like this. I did not see the same fire as I did in Sheron. And with lack of plays at his disposal, there was no way of getting a feel about his passing. It was the poorest offensive game I can remember in a very long time. Pretty much non existent.

It would have been interesting to see Sheron QB that game since he already had a game under his belt. I think his confidence would have given us a better chance against Iowa and like I have said, he seems like a guy that has some potential with his leadership qualities.
Actually the coaches had a crappy game plan for Sheron against USC, and Wade was missing some key personnel that would have made his job easier on top of a crappy game plan. But I also have to figure that's part of the reason Coach Scan isn't around anymore. It would have been interesting to see if a Coen led team would have forth a better game plan.

Reactions: Ollie
From everything I see if leary is much more accurate than Levis is, but doesn’t have the arm strength for down field throws Levis had
After seeing how inaccurate Levis was on deep balls, as shown with advanced stats during pro day (100th ranked), I wonder if Leery's lesser arm strength is even going to register as a negative, given how accurate he is?

- Sheron had 7 pts vs. USC and less than 100 yards passing until the final meaningless drive when USC was up 2 scores and playing prevent.
- Wade was a bit worse vs. Iowa.....but I'd argue Iowa had a better defense and CRod was also out that game which matters.

I didn't see much of anything in either QB to be honest which is underwhelming. Sheron looked like a dear in headlights in his first real action. Took bad sacks, stared down the pass rush, didn't look athletic at all. He did however put up a decent drive to end the game but again...it was all short stuff when USC was in prevent. Wade threw bad Ints and the most problematic....he didn't look like a great athlete with his legs. Looked Morgan Newton-ish....not bad but not going to extend plays a lot in SEC with his feet.

Pretty much spot on. Yes, neither looked like an every down SEC QB.

Last edited:
We don't know yet, but there is some speculation from a few that Leary does not have the arm strength to make the over the top and deep throws. That is in contrast to Stoops and Coen saying that Leary can make all of the throws. Not sure where the lack of arm strength has come from. If you read enough about Leary he is similar to a lot of the QB's you see playing on Sunday's .
Where are you hearing that? He has plenty of arm strength, but is recovering from a torn pec, so hasn't really fully let loose yet. There is no one who has watched his tape, and has half a brain, that questions his arm strength.

So why did he start? Do you have answers or just an ignorant about our country? He clearly wasn’t ready, was never the #2 or #3 QB, why did he start the bowl game?
The coaches needed to get some live action snaps to fully evaluate him, to see how he handles the pressure and huddle presence. Sharen already had numerous snaps and Wade was QB3, and likely not by much, so he was given the opportunity to show his stuff. Any speculation that this was primarily to keep him happy is pure speculation, yet you write as though you have inside information. If that was part of the thought process, then I trust Stoops to do what he needs to do to balance winning now vs winning tomorrow and the difference between Wade and Sharen is too small to generate outrage.

Anyone hear what MattJones had to say about the football team on Twitter spaces last night?

No QB on the roster other than Will Levis was going to do anything against that Iowa defense and he chose not to play. With CRod out it's doubtful he would have done anything either. I don't know why Stoops went with Wade but it had zero effect on the outcome of the game.

"The coaches are only playing this guy/making him 1st or 2nd string to keep him from transferring!@#$^&" is such a silly silly accusation.

Someone who claims this, says the coaches are knowingly playing/moving up a player to a position they haven't earned. Trust me - the players on the team who are present and participate in 100% of every practice know who should be 1st & 2nd string at every position. And, who shouldn't be.

Trust me,, if Wade shouldn't have started the bowl game, if he clearly was worst than Sheron - players woulda been grumbling about it & making anonymous comments to media folks.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
The coaches needed to get some live action snaps to fully evaluate him, to see how he handles the pressure and huddle presence. Sharen already had numerous snaps and Wade was QB3, and likely not by much, so he was given the opportunity to show his stuff. Any speculation that this was primarily to keep him happy is pure speculation, yet you write as though you have inside information. If that was part of the thought process, then I trust Stoops to do what he needs to do to balance winning now vs winning tomorrow and the difference between Wade and Sharen is too small to generate outrage.
Yeah, that’s what practice is for. They embarrassed that kid, could have ruined his confidence, and gave away a winnable bowl game.

Yeah, that’s what practice is for. They embarrassed that kid, could have ruined his confidence, and gave away a winnable bowl game.
I'm not sure they embarrassed him. Everyone who has ever played sports at a high level has begged for an opportunity and it doesn't always play out like we expected, especially early. He showed some promise, but was clearly overmatched against that defense, but I don't believe that game was winnable without Levis and CRod both playing at a high level.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Reports of good bounce back practice today from the downer on Saturday. Stoops was doing some classic Coaching 101, break them down/build them back up tactic. Huge crowds of recruits in attendance as many HSs are on Spring Break.

Reactions: mrschwump

That's why you start the guy that already has a game under his belt. With all the bowl practice he may have been a LOT better than another guy getting his first game experience in a freaking bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT