ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice updates?

Saw somewhere(maybe Twitter?) Sheron was 2, Wade 3, Hogan 4. Doubt any of that is etched in stone.
It has been reported by observers who watched the recent open practice that Leary took 1st team snaps, Sheron took 2nd team snaps, Hogan took 3rd team snaps, and D. Wade took the rest.

Aside from the fact that Leary is our starting QB, I don't think the allotting of the other snaps means anything after less than one spring week in pads. It is fair to infer that Leary will get nearly all the snaps in the fall as long as he is healthy. If Leary gets hurts, Coach Coen will use the backup QB practicing the best at that time, which would be 6-9 months from now and would take August and September practices into account far more than March practices.

It has been reported by observers who watched the recent open practice that Leary took 1st team snaps, Sheron took 2nd team snaps, Hogan took 3rd team snaps, and D. Wade took the rest.

Aside from the fact that Leary is our starting QB, I don't think the allotting of the other snaps means anything after less than one spring week in pads. It is fair to infer that Leary will get nearly all the snaps in the fall as long as he is healthy. If Leary gets hurts, Coach Coen will use the backup QB practicing the best at that time, which would be 6-9 months from now and would take August and September practices into account far more than March practices.
Why on Earth did they start Wade in the Bowl game? That’s was disrespectful to the team, the fans, and did Wade no favors. One of the worst decisions of the Stoops era.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The utmost secrecy & opening up snippets to the preferred press only is a turnoff for me.

Stoops apparently not real happy with Sat's(3/25) practice. Wanting team leaders to step up and none have to his satisfaction.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
OL will look better if for no other reason that Leary is a major upgrade in terms of recognition. Add in Davis is a very legit RB that is the first wide zone guy we had.

Everything else is gravy. Cox to LT is huge and I like getting Jager at C because cox just wasn't good there. Jager had assignment issues last year and that is the last thing you want from a c, but I think the simplification will be a big help.

O will look fantastic. I fully believe that

Why on Earth did they start Wade in the Bowl game? That’s was disrespectful to the team, the fans, and did Wade no favors. One of the worst decisions of the Stoops era.

Was 100% to keep he and his brother happy by letting them play in front of family. I don't know it was an affront to fans because let's be honest it isn't like the other option was much better.

That said, I was both impressed and disappointed. The impression from all the chatter was he was more athlete than QB and that definitely wasn't true. That's both good and bad. I just see no way he ever plays QB for a high d1 program

Was 100% to keep he and his brother happy by letting them play in front of family.

You can look at it that way, and who's to say that isn't accurate? Maybe it was. As far as it goes, there is a certain amount of logic to it. The counterargument would be that there is another transfer window in May, but Destin is being supplanted now by Sheron as the #2 QB in spring practice. So much for keeping him happy. And I'm not sure anyone was happy with the outcome or the particulars of the MCB either.

Another way to look at it might be that Stoops and Marrow knew Liam Coen was inbound. By starting Destin, they gave the youngest and most athletic QB on their bowl roster a chance to learn under fire and show what he could do. With Coen coming, Stoops knew his capacity to recruit and sign hs QBs was about to expand. Maybe he wanted a better idea what Destin could do against a good Power 5 defense before facing a decision to recruit over him.

Another possibility is that Stoops may have thought Sheron would be a sitting duck playing behind UK's OL at the time against IA's pass rush. Now, there is some serious logic to that. Sheron may have a strong arm. But when we played SCar, he looked very slow afoot and hesitant to me.

Yet another possibility was the most obvious one. Maybe Destin was the best looking QB in our January practices.

I am not suggesting that I know which one is most true. That is above my pay grade, so to speak.

Reactions: catben
By my eye, sheron is the noticably better runner. I was disappointed in the lack of wade's athleticism since that's what we were all told
Destin is actually faster than Sheron. Always has been. I'm not suggesting Destin is a speedster. I understand people were disappointed with the outcome of the MCB. So was I. But I also watched our loss to SCar. Sheron is very slow afoot. I don't contest that he has a pretty good arm, but he can't run. On his rollouts, Sheron showed that he doesn't run well enough to do anything more than throw from a conventional pocket. That is not true of Destin. I am far from convinced either can become a successful SEC QB, but Destin at least has most of the raw athletic tools needed for the job. If you disagree, that's fine. I believe my eyes, and I don't think either will play much.

Which begs the following question. If Leary gets hurt, what will Stoops do? I suspect Stoops doesn't want to take a chance of having the Wade twins consider an outbound transfer. But if I am right, Destin will not receive significant playing time as a QB at any SEC or B10 program. I don't think he is a bad player. I just don't think he is an SEC QB, although I also think the chance he could develop into one is nonzero. It probably won't happen for Destin at UK because that's asking too much in Coen's offense. My eyes tell me it probably won't happen for Sheron at UK either. So, what if Leary gets hurt next fall? I still believe Stoops could take a developmental QB through the portal during the May window if the right transfer becomes available, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. If it is the right guy, Stoops could get his starting QB for 2024 while also securing a serviceable backup for 2023. Stoops was powerless to manage the SCar game when Levis was hurt last year. I doubt he will forget what that was like. It was a learning experience, and it hurt his team's season.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what has happened with Hogan. He finished Spring '22 as QB2 but has seemingly been in freefall since and now is QB3 or QB4 depending on who one wishes to believe. Guy was a 4* out of a good TX HS program with some nice offers, signed with Iowa but became disenchanted and ended up walking on at UK(assume he is but don't know if he's now on scholarship). So is/was he hurt last summer/fall or just hasn't developed?

OL will look better if for no other reason that Leary is a major upgrade in terms of recognition. Add in Davis is a very legit RB that is the first wide zone guy we had.

Everything else is gravy. Cox to LT is huge and I like getting Jager at C because cox just wasn't good there. Jager had assignment issues last year and that is the last thing you want from a c, but I think the simplification will be a big help.

O will look fantastic. I fully believe that

Was 100% to keep he and his brother happy by letting them play in front of family. I don't know it was an affront to fans because let's be honest it isn't like the other option was much better.

That said, I was both impressed and disappointed. The impression from all the chatter was he was more athlete than QB and that definitely wasn't true. That's both good and bad. I just see no way he ever plays QB for a high d1 program
Yeah, when people spend their time and money to support you and you run out a HS QB who isn’t ready just to make his family happy, that’s disrespectful to the fans and players. Play the players who give you the best chance to win.

I never saw any reality to any of the Hogan hype that only existed - on this board. He was never QB2 in 2022, ever. Quite frankly if he were good he would have landed a scholarship offer, somewhere, anywhere. He is what he is, a walkon practice arm.

Reactions: catben
I never saw any reality to any of the Hogan hype that only existed - on this board. He was never QB2 in 2022, ever. Quite frankly if he were good he would have landed a scholarship offer, somewhere, anywhere. He is what he is, a walkon practice arm.
Maybe so, I don't know, but in the '22 Spring game Hogan was the first QB after Levis to get snaps. If he was just "a walkon practice arm" why would they give him first snaps over 3 scholarship QBs? Doesn't matter, according to some on Twitter now it's Leary QB1, Sheron QB2, Wade QB3, Hogan QB4.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I'm curious as to what has happened with Hogan. He finished Spring '22 as QB2 but has seemingly been in freefall since and now is QB3 or QB4 depending on who one wishes to believe. Guy was a 4* out of a good TX HS program with some nice offers, signed with Iowa but became disenchanted and ended up walking on at UK(assume he is but don't know if he's now on scholarship). So is/was he hurt last summer/fall or just hasn't developed?
For one thing, stars are only an online evaluator's oversimplified assessment of a player's hs career. Stars don't tell the whole story. We have seen so-called 4 stars fail at the college level before, and it is bound to happen again. For another thing, I think Hogan has managed to get into a peculiar situation at UK. As several posters have suggested, Stoops probably wants to keep Keaton Wade out of the transfer portal, which means keeping Destin in the "QB competition" unless and until Destin goes to Stoops and requests a position change.

You and I have briefly watched Hogan throw in real competition in one MCB and one UK spring game. That's all. In that very small sample, I thought Hogan ran pretty well and showed an accurate arm. He couldn't beat out Levis for playing time and he isn't going to beat out Leary either. But if Leary gets hurt, Stoops will have to scramble for a solution. That's a scenario where Hogan could get a chance by process of elimination. It's possible that Coach Coen's return to Lexington could improve Hogan's stock on the team, since Hogan came to UK in the first place to play for Coen (not Scangarello).

According to UK's official roster, Hogan has two more seasons of eligibility. One way or another, I would guess that he will manage to get into some more games. Whether he will ever compete for the starting job is a different kind of question. I have seen enough college football to learn that strange things can happen.

I still think it should be on Stoops' list of chores to look at bringing in another developmental QB during the May portal window to back up Leary in 2023 and then compete for the starting job in 2024. But it would have to be the right guy.

We don't know yet, but there is some speculation from a few that Leary does not have the arm strength to make the over the top and deep throws. That is in contrast to Stoops and Coen saying that Leary can make all of the throws. Not sure where the lack of arm strength has come from. If you read enough about Leary he is similar to a lot of the QB's you see playing on Sunday's .

We don't know yet, but there is some speculation from a few that Leary does not have the arm strength to make the over the top and deep throws. That is in contrast to Stoops and Coen saying that Leary can make all of the throws. Not sure where the lack of arm strength has come from. If you read enough about Leary he is similar to a lot of the QB's you see playing on Sunday's .
Could be lingering effects of pec surgery. If so, hopefully summer conditioning will aid further recovery.

Could be lingering effects of pec surgery. If so, hopefully summer conditioning will aid further recovery.
I think Levis just has an abnormal type of strong arm that a lot of QB's don't have. When the coaches say that Leary can make all the throws they are talking about from his career at NCS. And Stoops has specifically said that he can make the deep throws with touch and accuracy. I just think some are comparing him to Levis' arm strength. But it seems that he has what it takes to make any throw on the field. And have read that he is a receivers QB, in that he is good not only with touch but an uncanny ability to place the ball where only his guy can get it. I really think Leary will be plenty good for us with so many talented receivers and runners he will have, just a matter of keeping him healthy.

We don't know yet, but there is some speculation from a few that Leary does not have the arm strength to make the over the top and deep throws.

And this is based on a small sample right at the beginning of spring practice, immediately after he rehabbed from surgery. Is this another KSR rumor? Let's give the guy a chance to rebuild arm strength, just like QBs and pitchers always do at the beginning of every new season. Then we will see the actual situation.

Reactions: EH4UK and mrschwump
Clueless media guys or fans who have watched Levis for 2 yrs trying to comprehend a qb with just normal but accurate throwing speed, lol

Coen figured out how to maximize Levis, who couldn't hit a crossing reciever 5 yards away if his life depended on it. I'm completely 1000% confident the man who taught the Rams playbook to Baker Mayfield in 3 days can figure out how best to utilize Devin Leary for the 2023 season, lol.

Offseason judgments in this sport are so silly, love the craziness.

Yeah, when people spend their time and money to support you and you run out a HS QB who isn’t ready just to make his family happy, that’s disrespectful to the fans and players. Play the players who give you the best chance to win.
So you believe Wade was started at QB to satisfy his family and prevent a transfer because some random fan with no access to the program said it?? Why do people actually believe what they read here?? This is why our country is in a downward spiral. YOU CANT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET!! ITs just that simple guys.

Reactions: satcheluk and EH4UK
Destin is actually faster than Sheron. Always has been. I'm not suggesting Destin is a speedster. I understand people were disappointed with the outcome of the MCB. So was I. But I also watched our loss to SCar. Sheron is very slow afoot. I don't contest that he has a pretty good arm, but he can't run. On his rollouts, Sheron showed that he doesn't run well enough to do anything more than throw from a conventional pocket. That is not true of Destin. I am far from convinced either can become a successful SEC QB, but Destin at least has most of the raw athletic tools needed for the job. If you disagree, that's fine. I believe my eyes, and I don't think either will play much.

Which begs the following question. If Leary gets hurt, what will Stoops do? I suspect Stoops doesn't want to take a chance of having the Wade twins consider an outbound transfer. But if I am right, Destin will not receive significant playing time as a QB at any SEC or B10 program. I don't think he is a bad player. I just don't think he is an SEC QB, although I also think the chance he could develop into one is nonzero. It probably won't happen for Destin at UK because that's asking too much in Coen's offense. My eyes tell me it probably won't happen for Sheron at UK either. So, what if Leary gets hurt next fall? I still believe Stoops could take a developmental QB through the portal during the May window if the right transfer becomes available, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. If it is the right guy, Stoops could get his starting QB for 2024 while also securing a serviceable backup for 2023. Stoops was powerless to manage the SCar game when Levis was hurt last year. I doubt he will forget what that was like. It was a learning experience, and it hurt his team's season.

If he's faster on the field, it isn't by much. I was surprised by sheron on the boots and reads. He moved great. In fact I think we went to the read way too late in that game.

The way people hyped wade with a "special package" made me think he would be much more elusive and/or fast than he was. Granted it was vs a very good defense but SC was a great defense too.

Either way, if Leary goes down we are in big trouble again. Neither of these guys are anywhere close talent wise to starting in the sec.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
They have fooled around and now have gotten Stoops 'pissed.' Stoops is very unhappy with the last couple of days of practice. Saying his players are acting like they are entitled, not going to cut it. Not physical and waiting for the other guy to make a play, it doesn't sound like he is going to take it much longer.

So you believe Wade was started at QB to satisfy his family and prevent a transfer because some random fan with no access to the program said it?? Why do people actually believe what they read here?? This is why our country is in a downward spiral. YOU CANT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET!! ITs just that simple guys.
So why did he start? Do you have answers or just an ignorant about our country? He clearly wasn’t ready, was never the #2 or #3 QB, why did he start the bowl game?

Reactions: secrules3
So why did he start? Do you have answers or just an ignorant about our country? He clearly wasn’t ready, was never the #2 or #3 QB, why did he start the bowl game?
That’s just it. I haven’t a clue. I can make up lots of reasons. Doesn’t make them true.

Reactions: satcheluk
if there's a lack of Arm strength, it's likely due to the injury and possibly something he has to regain. He's still recovering to some extent.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Sheridan was by FAR the best option to start the bowl game and quite possibly helped get a W.

There was an OBVIOUS agenda and the only one that makes ANY sense is to keep his family happy.

A lot of stuff happens that we never know the reason for but IMO that one was pretty obvious.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Sheridan was by FAR the best option to start the bowl game and quite possibly helped get a W.

There was an OBVIOUS agenda and the only one that makes ANY sense is to keep his family happy.

A lot of stuff happens that we never know the reason for but IMO that one was pretty obvious.
We saw both play last year, NEITHER one was the best option by far. You could flip a coin and decide who is the starter if Leary goes down, there wasn't much separating them.

We saw both play last year, NEITHER one was the best option by far. You could flip a coin and decide who is the starter if Leary goes down, there wasn't much separating them.
You're seriously saying Sheron's game against USC was only as good as Dade's against Iowa? That would also have been Sheron's 2nd game of the season giving him an extra game under his wing. That's being completely naive.

Only seeing each QB 1 whole game each, my overall impression was that Sheron played with more fire. Of course he has been there a couple years now and that helps. Considering that Sheron's first game was against an SEC school and he had no experience, it looked like he has some leadership qualities. He put a lot into his effort, you could see that he gave it his all. The coaches kept the game plan very simple for him, so his lack of experience did not allow him to have a lot of plays to work with. So with knowing how much of a disadvantage he had with lack of experience and lack of play calls to spread the field I can only go by his demeanor and try and get a feeling about his intangibles.

Wade had even less college preparation for a game against one of the best defenses year in and year out. He also was at such a disadvantage making his first appearance in a game like this. I did not see the same fire as I did in Sheron. And with lack of plays at his disposal, there was no way of getting a feel about his passing. It was the poorest offensive game I can remember in a very long time. Pretty much non existent.

It would have been interesting to see Sheron QB that game since he already had a game under his belt. I think his confidence would have given us a better chance against Iowa and like I have said, he seems like a guy that has some potential with his leadership qualities.

That’s just it. I haven’t a clue. I can make up lots of reasons. Doesn’t make them true.
Wait, you acted like you knew for sure when you went on your rant. Let me get this straight, you haven’t a clue why he didn’t start but know that it wasn’t to keep his family happy? LOL, OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT