ADVERTISEMENT

Football Spring football wrap up

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I'm not sure how much we learned about Kentucky football this spring. A lot of guys were out. Early big picture returns based on all the information I've gotten:

** Chip Trayanum had some real moments this spring and there is hopefulness he can be an effective RB1. At one point heard some C Rod comps. They have different running styles but the hope is the YAC is the same outcome. Efficiency from the run game is an emphasis.

** Heard OK things about the run game. Not overly great, not terrible. I think there is hope the run game will improve this year but that's still a question in my mind.

** Brock Vandagriff is a very likeable kid I was told. That has helped the transition. He has had good conversations with the top tier receivers off the field and they have a good connection. It helps that Vandagriff is someone that other players and everyone genuinely seems to be drawn to, likes being around.

** Hamdan is "good emotional" according to Saunders. Very passionate coach. The goal has been to make a pro-style college offense that fits the personnel at every position group, that's the job of any OC, and with guys out it's not easy but folks believe the bones of the offense are in place. Expecting more QB run, more of a power run game option, the hope is they're able to do a little of everything. Short yardage running, deep shots, play action, QB runs, etc. Not like they have one or two things that it appears are strengths and obvious weaknesses, probably the kind of offense that they hope is very adaptable week to week based on game plan and opponent.

** I think you're hoping Jason Patterson is able to take some carries in the backfield this year. Haven't heard anything about adding another running back which could speak to how they feel about Trayanum but if they don't add another then I think you have to feel OK about the situation back there, will say something about where their heads are at.

** Heard some good things about the receivers. Didn't hear that a "corner was turned" or anything like that so my expectation is incremental improvement. With Maclin out that left a lot to the imagination. What does it do to a defense if Maclin is who you think he will be and commanding that kind of attention and defenses have to keep seven or so in the box at times. That's the hope, that it helps the receivers break out.

** Tight end room is solid. Khamari Anderson should contribute more this season.

** Defensive line did have some guys out, tough to get a read on the state of that room. Probably more banged up than usual this time of year but not uncommon for those guys to have procedures and miss time especially on the defensive line.

** Hearing good things about Jalen Farmer, think he is going to be a good player for them this year. Athletic guard with upside and could be ready to make an impact immediately. Malachi Wood is definitely still someone of interest but he is like Crease in that he's probably looking at '25. Austin Ramsey was another backup OL I have been interested in and I haven't heard as much about him as Farmer or Wood. Farmer is probably the new potential player on the OL I have heard the most about. I do think they would still take another offensive lineman. Need to get Dylan Ray at the level they thought he would be progressing towards after last season.

** Anthony Crease has 3 years of eligibility. Needs to get stronger so I am expecting Year 1 to be S&C with the plan of having him compete for spots when Mincey and Cox are gone. While he does have to get stronger have heard that he doesn't have a huge weight room background so there's hopefulness.

** Heard solid things about Jantzen Dunn this spring. Not expecting him to be Andru Phillips right off the bat but he has the athleticism, did some solid things last year, and expect a step forward. Interested in Jaremiah Anglin going into fall camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News