ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated...

Pickle_Rick

Senior
Oct 8, 2017
beng broken up for parts. Huh! Who knew that a sports news organization that ignores the largest cheating scandal in sports, Uncheats fake classes, is a sub- optimal business plan. The Puke/Uncheats cheerleading was the straw that broke the camel's back. Added in, the "wokeness" of modern media. "Get woke! Go broke!" should be the mantra at every business college.( It won't be. College.) Putting fat chicks, and muslims, in the swimsuit issue? That's knowing your base!

I hate it when people get political on sports forums, but in this case it’s unavoidable. In recent years, major sports entities have chosen to get political, and it doesn’t appear to be a good financial strategy. Sure, you get a hundred thousand more Twitter likes from social justice warriors who couldn’t explain the difference between a tight end and a point guard, but I can promise you that the men and women who actually pay for subscriptions, season tickets, and jerseys are not tuning in for a lecture on their privilege.

When I see one of these woke companies start to burn, I reach for the marshmallows.

It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with people not reading magazines anymore. Unless you guys are being sarcastic and I’m missing it.

It failed because it’s a primarily print business for sports. That doesn’t work in 2019.

If this is the only reason, why doesn't SI.com thrive? Those same writers could work for the website if there was a demand for their content.

If this is the only reason, why doesn't SI.com thrive? Those same writers could work for the website if there was a demand for their content.

what sports websites are “thriving”? I’m not saying there aren’t any, but if they are for this argument to hold any water they better not have any “liberal” slants or whatever TF you guys are talking snout

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
I'm old enough to remember just a few months ago, when there would be conversations like this about ESPN. And one side would inevitably say something like "the reason ESPN is losing market share has nothing to do with politics or what they say about politics and everything to do with the industry". Then in May ESPN got a new president, and he refuted that immediately:

ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro says the network's viewers do not want it getting overtly political.

"Without question our data tells us our fans do not want us to cover politics,” Pitaro said in a Los Angeles Times article published Monday. “My job is to provide clarity. I really believe that some of our talent was confused on what was expected of them. If you fast-forward to today, I don’t believe they are confused.”

The American population, generally speaking, is much more conservative than the folks who work for media outlets like SI and ESPN. And sports fans in particular are much more conservative. It's really not a very confusing picture.

I hate it when people get political on sports forums, but in this case it’s unavoidable. In recent years, major sports entities have chosen to get political, and it doesn’t appear to be a good financial strategy. Sure, you get a hundred thousand more Twitter likes from social justice warriors who couldn’t explain the difference between a tight end and a point guard, but I can promise you that the men and women who actually pay for subscriptions, season tickets, and jerseys are not tuning in for a lecture on their privilege.

When I see one of these woke companies start to burn, I reach for the marshmallows.

Good post.

I canceled SI last year after about 30 years of subscribing. Combination of things.....political agenda being pushed was one, another was I was only getting 2-3 issues per month. The rest weren’t showing up . It was the only periodical I took that had that problem. So after I canceled they contacted me and offered me 2 years for $35. That breaks down to 34 cents an issue. So if they are that desperate I’m not surprised at this news.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat

they asked Johnny Carson back in the day why he never got political
he said: why piss off half my audience
guys that own/write for sports forums/magazines/T.V. shows should heed that advice
nothing good comes from losing half your audience

Note that the “Kentucky’s Shame” SI story was written by Curry Kirkpatrick, UNC grad and fan. Not a peep from him on the UNCheat scandal. A good friend of Duke Vitale.

Kirkpatrick hasn't been a writer at Sports Illustrated since the mid 90s.

Maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with you not hearing a peep from him on the UNC scandal.

Note that the “Kentucky’s Shame” SI story was written by Curry Kirkpatrick, UNC grad and fan. Not a peep from him on the UNCheat scandal. A good friend of Duke Vitale.
This is when I dropped them. My father started getting SI in the mail in about 1953 or so. When ever they first started. It became our favorite piece of mail for the next 35 years and then they came out with that story. I cancelled the next day and have not looked back. I have no use for them anymore

Reactions: BBUK
Note that the “Kentucky’s Shame” SI story was written by Curry Kirkpatrick, UNC grad and fan.
It's funny how perceptions change over time. Things that aren't regarded as important at the time eventually take on some huge significance. One example of that is the Texas Western game, and by extension views of Adolph Rupp. Jon Scott could of course tell a more complete story - my own perception of that based on various things I've read is that no one gave much thought at the time to the racial significance of the '66 title game. Then in 1976 James Michener (mostly known for works of fiction like Tales of the South Pacific and Centennial) published a book called Sports In America - which I think referred to UK vs Texas Western as "the Brown vs Board of Education of sports". I really don't think people thought of that game as any sort of watershed moment before that. Then in 1981 Kirkpatrick wrote something for SI, I'm forgetting the article actually, that recast Rupp as some sort of racist derelict. That was very influential for the slew of folks just entering journalism, for whom the civil rights movement was formative. And just like that, the picture of Rupp as bigot was crystallized. Now it's one of those things that just is, for a lot of folks. Kirkpatrick was the instrumental piece in my abbreviated version of the tale....

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
In regards to that game, it really annoys me that people refer to it as some huge upset. I think at the end of "Glory Road" it was called the biggest upset of all time. They were I believe #3 in the country. People try and downplay how good Texas Western was that year.

The American population, generally speaking, is much more conservative than the folks who work for media outlets like SI and ESPN. And sports fans in particular are much more conservative. It's really not a very confusing picture.
Its really that simple.

Cater to your customer or die.

I have cancelled Wired, SI, Rolling Stone, The Cin Enquirer, and multiple online subscriptions due to liberal bias. I suspect Netflix will be next on the chopping block.

In regards to that game, it really annoys me that people refer to it as some huge upset. I think at the end of "Glory Road" it was called the biggest upset of all time. They were I believe #3 in the country. People try and downplay how good Texas Western was that year.

Further, I read Frank Deford's biography, who covered the NBA at the time and his comment was that anyone who followed basketball in the 1960s never had a doubt that black athletes were as good or better than their white teamates, was just not that big of a story nationally at the time, has become symbolic in retrospect, but UC and Loyola had all or predominantly black NCs before Texas Western came along.

what sports websites are “thriving”? I’m not saying there aren’t any, but if they are for this argument to hold any water they better not have any “liberal” slants or whatever TF you guys are talking snout
Barstool is thriving, but they aren’t a sports website like SI.com or ESPN, but worth mentioning.

[laughing] @ people who let political butt hurt dictate their lives. I used to subscribe to SI until....well, our cable system got ESPN back in 1979.

[laughing] @ people who let political butt hurt dictate their lives. I used to subscribe to SI until....well, our cable system got ESPN back in 1979.
Why would I support something I dont believe in?

Hypothetical: Im at the SEC tourney in Nashvil!e. I see two beer vendors on Broadway, one wearing a UK jersey and one wearing a UT jersey.

Guess which one gets my business?

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat

Hypothetical: Im at the SEC tourney in Nashvil!e. I see two beer vendors on Broadway, one wearing a UK jersey and one wearing a UT jersey.

Believe in? It's a sports website. I go to a sports website to get quick access to scores, stats and highlights. Sometimes I'll read an article if it looks interesting. If it isn't or I don't agree with it, I move on without whining about it. Some people have an inherent need to be offended about something. I'm not one of those people.

Reactions: stuway
Believe in? It's a sports website. I go to a sports website to get quick access to scores, stats and highlights. Sometimes I'll read an article if it looks interesting. If it isn't or I don't agree with it, I move on without whining about it. Some people have an inherent need to be offended about something. I'm not one of those people.
Never said I was offended and I wouldn't call my lack of support "whining"... unless every disagreeable thing in your world constitutes "whining". I just dont support things I dont agree with... not a hard concept to understand.

Some people have an inherent need to to be offended by others' decision making processes... I'm not one of those people.

I would probably go in this order:

1. Cheapest beer
2. Best beer
3. Closest to me

I would have a good, strong conversation with each of the respective bar owners to discuss their political beliefs, religious views, human resource practices, and financial position first. After checking references, researching their social media history, reviewing their credit report, and checking with the BBB, I’d happily make an informed decision.

Or just go to the one with cheaper beer.

i want to amend this post.

im skipping both cheap beer sellers and going to a bourbon seller. Life is too short to drink cheap nasty beer.

Now if the bourbon dispenser is a liberal... then I have quite the quandary lol.

Never said I was offended and I wouldn't call my lack of support "whining"... unless every disagreeable thing in your world constitutes "whining". I just dont support things I dont agree with... not a hard concept to understand.

Some people have an inherent need to to be offended by others' decision making processes... I'm not one of those people.

Not offended at all. I find your (and others) indignation to any perceived slight highly entertaining. I have a friend back in Tennessee who has half the businesses/restaurants in town on his boycott list for a myriad of reasons ranging from political to personal. When we are in town, I'll call him up to get lunch and tell him to let me know who is on his shit list so we can figure out where we'll eat. I love needling him about it every chance I get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT