ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated going from weekly to monthly

Printed periodicals are dying a slow death.......most of them at best are nothing but rags.......

Reactions: jrpross
Used to love getting it in mid to late 90s as a kid. Somewhere in the 00s they jumped the shark for me.

I never liked ESPN the mag. I subscribed when it came out. Wasnt my kind of writing I guess.

I always liked The Sporting News. Such good writing. They stopped doing print and went all digital many years ago.

Now, I pay for The Athletic. If y'all like quality sports writing, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: jrpross
A step in the right direction. Let me know when they go from Monthly to Yearly -- that'll be real progress.

Is Curry Kirkpatrick still writing those treacly, fawning, blubbery valentines to 'Tobacco Road?' He epitomized the sportswriter whose head was actually inside the jock strap of ACC teenagers.

Printed periodicals are dying a slow death.......most of them at best are nothing but rags.......
Yep, that's what they've become because they can't get much attention without being sensational and controversial. 24-hour sports networks began their demise and online sports journalism is finishing the job.

It the words of Egon Spengler...
"Print is dead!"

Oh well, I guess it's time for them to start collecting spores, molds, and fungus.

Back in the day SI was great. Photography was awesome. I can still see a shot of Ali in one of his fights. Incredible. Sidd Finch had me going for a few minutes. Back in the day they were good. When they decided to expand their focus from Baseball, Football and bball, the decline started....as did the entire sporting world.

Reactions: CB3UK
They can go out of business as far as I am concerned

I still remember the “Kentucky Shame” copy and then they wrote nothing about 20 years of academic fraud the cheats did.
That story was written by UNCheat grad Curry Kirkpatrick. Still big buddies with Duke Vitale.

Youd think these clowns in the media would learn to listen, when people say they dont want to listen to your b.s. politics with their sports talk, they mean exactly that. ESPN has finally started dialing back all their left wing nonsense because their ratings were dropping. Enough is enough. Shut up about politics and stick to sports.

I still subscribe to SI and read it cover to cover. What a terrible idea for a sports magazine to actually report on things athletes do in their real lives. Oh and God forbid they cover women's sports. [eyeroll]

The fact is that SI was bought by a greedy company that just wanted the brand for licensing, and has no idea how to run a magazine about sports. They immediately fired its longtime managing editor and brought in some hack who has never run a sports magazine or website. They're going to keep printing a magazine in order to maintain the brand, but it's probably going to suck because all the best writers have quit.

If you never read Bill Nack on horse racing, or Tim Layden on baseball, I feel sorry for you. We will never see their like again.

I still subscribe to SI and read it cover to cover. What a terrible idea for a sports magazine to actually report on things athletes do in their real lives. Oh and God forbid they cover women's sports. [eyeroll]
They're welcome to. And the market is welcome to dictate whether they succeed. The customer is always right. and clearly the customer doesn't give a rip about women's sports or what the athlete's do on a Tuesday night.

As I said above. I used to have a subscription. The writing began stinking. I'm obviously not the only person who thinks so. The Athletic meanwhile continues to grow online by leaps and bounds. Because the writing is good. There's a lot to be said for giving the customer what they want. Its nice that you care about women's sports. Someone has to. Most of us don't.

The slow death of S.!. is because of this guy...
al-gore-internet.jpg

Because Al Gore invented the internet and thus created other avenues for sports fans to get their sports fix.

I've never said this before...but thanks Al Gore! You are the CHAMPION of FREE sports information! [cheers]

I dropped it in 2018 after about 30 years subscribing. Was paying about $60 at that point , I think , for a year. Then after about 2 months after I cancelled, they offered me a reduced rate. Actually let me set what I wanted to pay. So I said $20 a year. They said how about $35 for 2 years. I calculated that
at about 35cents an issue and said ok. That’s nothing. Since then I’ve been getting about 2 issues a month. I think it’s still supposed to be weekly , isn’t it? I have no idea what they are doing and I don’t think they do either.

PC has a lot to do with why ESPN has been hurting. It has been, at best, a small factor in the downfall of print media.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Republicans get so upset when the world doesn’t cater to middle aged white people anymore, but please tell us how everyone else are “snowflakes” and “entitled”.

You are the only people who scream “STICK TO SPORTS!” or “I’m boycotting!” because an entity doesn’t cater to you and your deluded views.

Reactions: RobJones1978
Republicans get so upset when the world doesn’t cater to middle aged white people anymore, but please tell us how everyone else are “snowflakes” and “entitled”.

You are the only people who scream “STICK TO SPORTS!” or “I’m boycotting!” because an entity doesn’t cater to you and your deluded views.

Nobody is asking them to cater to anyone's views. People just want them to shut up about politics. Period. Many people turn to sports as a way to escape all of the day to day stressful bullshit going on in the world. If I turn on ESPN or open a Sports Illustrated, I'm not doing it to see some schmuck's take on politics. If I want politics, I'll turn on MSNBC, Fox News or CNN. So yeah, stick to sports. Otherwise I'll find an alternative that does.

I dropped it in 2018 after about 30 years subscribing. Was paying about $60 at that point , I think , for a year. Then after about 2 months after I cancelled, they offered me a reduced rate. Actually let me set what I wanted to pay. So I said $20 a year. They said how about $35 for 2 years. I calculated that
at about 35cents an issue and said ok. That’s nothing. Since then I’ve been getting about 2 issues a month. I think it’s still supposed to be weekly , isn’t it? I have no idea what they are doing and I don’t think they do either.

It went to biweekly about a year ago I think.

It’s a good thing that the old monopolies of sporting news have faded away, they held too much narrative and opinion forming power. It’s also good that newspapers aren’t the only outlet anymore, you never want the few to tell all what’s happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT