ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated going from weekly to monthly

They're welcome to. And the market is welcome to dictate whether they succeed. The customer is always right. and clearly the customer doesn't give a rip about women's sports or what the athlete's do on a Tuesday night.

As I said above. I used to have a subscription. The writing began stinking. I'm obviously not the only person who thinks so. The Athletic meanwhile continues to grow online by leaps and bounds. Because the writing is good. There's a lot to be said for giving the customer what they want. Its nice that you care about women's sports. Someone has to. Most of us don't.

The Athletic hired a lot of people from SI. It's fantastic, I read it all the time. SI tried a web-based model but it never caught on.

The Internet really changed how people consume sports snd sports news. Some of us old farts still enjoy long form articles and don't mind reading about big games and playoffs well after the fact. But most people now want instant analysis and next-day coverage of games. The Athletic is trying to please both audiences and I think it is succeeding as far as content goes, just not sure that the financials of it are working.

I keep telling UK fans and fans of any professional sports team that they need to be subscribing to The Athletic. Their team coverage and podcasts are great.

images

Republicans get so upset when the world doesn’t cater to middle aged white people anymore, but please tell us how everyone else are “snowflakes” and “entitled”.

You are the only people who scream “STICK TO SPORTS!” or “I’m boycotting!” because an entity doesn’t cater to you and your deluded views.
This seems, I don't know, one-sided or something.

Personally, I'm just tickled at Pat Forde's timing.

Republicans get so upset when the world doesn’t cater to middle aged white people anymore, but please tell us how everyone else are “snowflakes” and “entitled”.

You are the only people who scream “STICK TO SPORTS!” or “I’m boycotting!” because an entity doesn’t cater to you and your deluded views.
"Maybe" S.I. needs to listen to the middle aged white people...your words not mine...and ask themselves, WHO is really reading our magazine? I'm guessing that the "younger" cell phone generation doesn't bother with S.I... Why would they..with instant Info on the internet. So, if S.I. wants to continue as a print magazine, then they need to figure out how they can do that.

IMO, S.I. will eventually die because who wants to pay money to get information that they can get FREE on the internet...unless you want to be a mag rag sitting on a table in a dentist office.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT