ADVERTISEMENT

Spin Off- stores you miss/ remember - Mall St. Matthews, J-Mall, Oxmoor..

Depends on what day you go and what time. We usually go to matinees when we go as a family. You can also go on Tuesdays at the theater near me for like $5 a ticket all day. It definitely can get up in the range you mentioned though. Weekend prices combined with 3D and you can spend $50 just in tickets. Then throw in at least $30 for 4 drinks and a large popcorn and you hit $80 easy.

I kinda wish they would just bypass the theaters and release everything straight to Blu-ray and it would save the consumer so much money. They'd make a killing on disc sales and rentals.

Agreee, and sometimes I prefer watching a movie at home. Especially if it's a horror movie which is AWFUL to watch in a big movie theater crowd

My TV certainly isn't as big as a movie theater screen but I'm just fine watching most any movie on my 60 inch , with surround sound in my Den/ or living room (as opposed to going to the theater ) if given the option.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Anyone remember The Village Green, where The Village Cinemas are (/were? - don't know if the theater is still there). Village Green had arcade, putt-putt and ice cream across the hall.

While I'm at it --- Bat-N-Putt on Dixie Highway. Batting cages and putt-putt, the only one of its kind in Louisville at the time.

I hung out around the Village Green a bit in the 70's, my parents owned Hobbicrafters on Dutchman's Lane. Also used to walk around the Tennis courts above and get balls that people had left.

UKJon

The putt putt course they had in Village Green was worth its wait in gold when you are 12 years old and your mother is in Suburban Hospital for 5 day. I probably played that course 50 times that week.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Wow, looks like this thread totally went of the rails, and it had so much promise.

I do remember my mother buying my dad shirts from Roses in the Mall St. Mathews and playing on the concrete bears. Was there a Woolworths there as well?

UKJon

Depends on what day you go and what time. We usually go to matinees when we go as a family. You can also go on Tuesdays at the theater near me for like $5 a ticket all day. It definitely can get up in the range you mentioned though. Weekend prices combined with 3D and you can spend $50 just in tickets. Then throw in at least $30 for 4 drinks and a large popcorn and you hit $80 easy.

I kinda wish they would just bypass the theaters and release everything straight to Blu-ray and it would save the consumer so much money. They'd make a killing on disc sales and rentals.

If you're talking about Stonybrook, they stopped the $5 Tuesdays.

I used to be able to get a drink, popcorn and ticket for $9 on those days

I remember hanging out at Putter's Park (Oxmoor) in high school (mid 70's). It was an arcade and putt putt course on the second floor. Also Shillitos was one of the anchor stores back then. I bought a lot of great sports stuff from O.G. Wilson's at Mall St. Matthews back in the day too.

When did they stop? I went in February a few times (3 different days in a row to be exact lol ) I was playing hookey from work (had built up a plethora of sick days ) so I literally like watched 2 or 3 movies each day. It was awesome. Got to see fences, Moonlight (a tad overrated but very good ) la la land , lion (awesome) , a dogs purpose (don't hate! ) I forgot the name but the movie about like the beginning of McDonalds and how it came to be what it is today (really good movie )

Anyways , I remember getting tickets for $5 a pop ?

Sad if they took it away, especially because Village 8 is closing down. So many memories there , it's nostalgic , cheap, cool movies , awesome popcorn ... idk takes me back to the 90's. Imma miss it

Can't remember which mall it was but one use to have an Elk Creek Winery. Their wine is overpriced swill but I would rather sit there and drink it vs shop with the wife.

I go to Rave Cinemas off Preston Hwy right next to the Gene Snyder Freeway and they have the $5 days still on Tuesday (think it is about $5.50 ). So hit it up because the way things are going it might not last either.

Agreee, and sometimes I prefer watching a movie at home. Especially if it's a horror movie which is AWFUL to watch in a big movie theater crowd

My TV certainly isn't as big as a movie theater screen but I'm just fine watching most any movie on my 60 inch , with surround sound in my Den/ or living room (as opposed to going to the theater ) if given the option.

Same.

I'd rather watch the movie, eat the food I want to eat and not have to deal with other people's damn kids everywhere.

Cinnabon is still in the Mall but it was moved.

Chi-Chi's in Bashford Manor was always the bomb.

Am I the only person that remembers their fried ice cream? It was the best fried ice cream I've ever had. The way Mexican restaurants make it now is not near as good as Chi-Chi's.

Anyone remember The Village Green, where The Village Cinemas are (/were? - don't know if the theater is still there). Village Green had arcade, putt-putt and ice cream across the hall.

While I'm at it --- Bat-N-Putt on Dixie Highway. Batting cages and putt-putt, the only one of its kind in Louisville at the time.
Used to go almost everyday of summer. In the 74 mph cage at 10...raking too.

I'm pretty sure the Cinnabon is definitely still there. Almost positive unless it closed within the last few days which I don't see happening.

It's gone- they shut it down in March/ April . Owners said they weren't turning a big enough profit .
Just a big white wall where it was before

Reactions: trav55
This thread brought up a memory of the Showcase Cinemas that I had mentioned earlier. One day in the summer while my parents were at work, i found out the bus schedule and rode out to those cinemas by myself. I was only 14 or 15 i think and had to switch buses a couple times to get there. I went and saw Total Recall and had 0 issues getting into the theater. I Don't think they really cared if you weren't 17 back then. Seeing a chick with 3 boobies was a big highlight back in the day. You didn't see anything like that in your Dad's Playboy magazines and with no internet for a few more years still.

I believe I made multiple trips like that back then. I don't know if I am more protective of my kids than my parents were of me, but I worry about my kids just leaving our street these days. No way in hell would I let my kids do some of the stuff I did at their age.

Last edited:
Not the mall- but I'm surprised Toys-R- Us in st Mathews is still chugging along after all these years.

Also- it's crazy to me how much Shelbyville Rd plaza has grown. I lived across the street in beechwood village as a kid (12 years till I left for UK at 18)

Anyways I would always walk to mall / plaza . I remember Hawley-Cooke (spelling?) booksellers , the PO , a couple shoe stores , penn station , murphys camera and the gateway computer store etc were like all that was in the plaza .

Not the mall- but I'm surprised Toys-R- Us in st Mathews is still chugging along after all these years.

Also- it's crazy to me how much Shelbyville Rd plaza has grown. I lived across the street in beechwood village as a kid (12 years till I left for UK at 18)

Anyways I would always walk to mall / plaza . I remember Hawley-Cooke (spelling?) booksellers , the PO , a couple shoe stores , penn station , murphys camera and the gateway computer store etc were like all that was in the plaza .

Don't forget the Circuit City that was there too!

Getting ready to do a double feature tomorrow on discount Tuesday. I think I am going to see Dunkirk and The Dark Tower. I will be buying a large popcorn and large drink so I can get free refills for the second movie. All in at about $24 for two movies and refreshments to last 4 hours.

Family Fair in the Big A shopping center
Allied Sporting Goods
Arlan's on 7th Street. Kiddieland was right across the street. This was well before the titty bars took over.

Haven't heard Kiddieland mentioned in a long time. Loved that place.

Family Fair in the Big A shopping center
Allied Sporting Goods
Arlan's on 7th Street. Kiddieland was right across the street. This was well before the titty bars took over.
Good Lord UKbob, I didnt know anyone else on this board would remember those places..you must be as old or older than I am. LOL...Loved Kiddieland when I was a kid.

Figured this would go with this thread.

I just left the Jefferson Mall and seen they are shooting a movie/scene in the old Macy's location. A policeman that was on duty there said it is for a movie called Anastasia. I can't find anything for sure on It, but did see 2 listings. One seemed like some kind of low budget teen movie and the other was a blockbuster type with a bunch of big names in it. I doubt the big names would be shooting at that location though (believe the story is originally based in Russia I) so it probably is the teen movie. Just thought that was interesting regardless that they are shooting there. First Comic Con now a movie.

Last edited:
Figured this would go with this thread.

I just left the Jefferson Mall and seen they are shooting a movie/scene in the old Macy's location. A policeman that was on duty there said it is for a movie called Anastasia. I can't find anything for sure on It, but did see 2 listings. One seemed like some kind of low budget teen movie and the other was a blockbuster type with a bunch of big names in it. I doubt the big names would be shooting at that location though (believe the story is originally based in Russia I believe) so it probably is the teen movie. Just thought that was interesting regardless that they are shooting there. First Comic Con now a movie.

That's really cool actually

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT