ADVERTISEMENT

Spin Off- stores you miss/ remember - Mall St. Matthews, J-Mall, Oxmoor..

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
or bashford manor ?

I remember the arcade in mall st Matthews . And "the sweet factory" oh and the old movie theater that was right smack dab in the middle of Oxmoor .

I used to work at the bookstore (Walden? I forgot the name ) that was in mall st Matthews. It was kinda across where the Godiva is (and has been for years )

What say you?

I used to spend hours in the Chuck E Cheese in Mall St. Matthews.
The best was when they got the Simpsons Arcade game and TMNT Arcade game. You pretty much had to wait in line to get a spot to play.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Not a store but in Oxmoor there was Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor that was a go-to as a kid and also Thornsberry Toys

Reactions: Century Cat
black-friday-brawl.gif

Fight Club still open?

Anyone remember The Village Green, where The Village Cinemas are (/were? - don't know if the theater is still there). Village Green had arcade, putt-putt and ice cream across the hall.

While I'm at it --- Bat-N-Putt on Dixie Highway. Batting cages and putt-putt, the only one of its kind in Louisville at the time.

Anyone remember The Village Green, where The Village Cinemas are (/were? - don't know if the theater is still there). Village Green had arcade, putt-putt and ice cream across the hall.

While I'm at it --- Bat-N-Putt on Dixie Highway. Batting cages and putt-putt, the only one of its kind in Louisville at the time.

Yessss I remember!

Ya the Bat- N-Put on Dixie is still there. Took my oldest son A couple years ago

Reactions: Century Cat
Oxmoor -

Farrell's
WC Karem's
The Sticker Shop - I hated it, but I went there a thousand times b/c of my sisters
The upstairs/downstairs movie theaters

The Mall always sucked, outside of Chuck E. Cheese and Chick Fil A.

Did anyone ever go to River Falls Mallon Clarksville before they converted it to Bass Pro Shops? It had all kinds of stuff in the area that is no the upstairs of Bass Pro. Putt-Putt, Carousel, arcade, movie theatre, etc. The archery practice range is in the shell of one of the old theatres.

And ya, village 8 cinemas closed a couple years ago or so ): super sad lol. I used to go there ALL the time as a kid.

Brendamour's Sporting Goods. I worked at both the Oxmoor and Jefferson Mall ones while i was in Dental School in late 70's. Learned how to string tennis rackets while I was there.

Can't believe know one has said the smoke shop at Oxmoor where you could buy and sell baseball cards. Smoke shop is there now but thinking different owners.

The Burger King at Oxmoor was popular to meet before going to the movies.

Hess's

Can't believe know one has said the smoke shop at Oxmoor where you could buy and sell baseball cards. Smoke shop is there now but thinking different owners.

The Burger King at Oxmoor was popular to meet before going to the movies.

Hess's

I remember the smoke shop!

Burger King was awesome. It always smelled like mustard lol

Jefferson Mall Christmas Displays were dope as a kid

That one store that had IOU sweatshirts

Soundtrax

The smell of leather outside the Wilsons

Speaking of Batt N Putt...does he still have the photo up of the time Michael Jordan visited?

Tiffany's bakery in Oxmoor per my wife

Also, Aladdins Castle looked bad ass but my parents never let me go.

There was also a mall at the Target on Dixie. It was tiny and ran between the Target and the Furniture store. It had a small movie theater in there. I remember seeing Goonies in that mall. I cannot remember the name of that mall. I think it tried to come back as Thoroughbred Mall briefly.

Dixie 4 turned into what I imagine prison is like. Muggings galore

Yup I totally forgot about the upstairs part of River Falls Mall. That Arcade was massive plus the indoor putt putt was awesome.

Reactions: dgtatu01
Oxmoor also used to have a store called "Playback" that sold high-end stereo systems that always had like a great new house smell

And ya, village 8 cinemas closed a couple years ago or so ): super sad lol. I used to go there ALL the time as a kid.

Village 8 Theaters isn't closed. We go there on occasion for a cheap movie that wasn't a must see at the main cinemas.

Family Fair in the Big A shopping center
Allied Sporting Goods
Arlan's on 7th Street. Kiddieland was right across the street. This was well before the titty bars took over.

NRM (music store) They had earphones on the wall to wear you could listen to new releases before you bought it.

Structure

Mall St Matthews use to have a merry-go-round where the food court is now. Walk out of Chuck E Cheese and go there.

Bashford Manor Mall used to have a great record store (can't recall the name). They also had a nice arcade too. Used to spend hours in there playing Centipede, Dig Dug and Galaga.

I remember the movie theater at Oxmoor. Went there one time for a midnight showing of the original Dawn of The Dead. Walking out into the darkened mall around 2AM made for an eerie feeling if you've ever seen that movie.

Birthday parties are Farrell's were completely nuts. They wouldn't just sing, they would bang drums and all kinds of crap.
The arcade also had a putt putt course in Oxmoor.

Well I know I'm old when I can remember there being an A&P grocery store in the Mall St Matthews, along with a comedy club where the food court is now. Mall only went as far Penney's back in the day.

All the old department stores that used to populate all the malls....Ben Snyder, Stewart's, Bacon's, Byck's

Swensen's was always a favorite for ice cream when going to Village 8 for movies.

The television pits they used to have in the center of the walkways at Bashford Manor....watched Cats lose to UNC in regional finals in 77 as a 12 year old.

Walgreen's had soda fountain on steroids at Bashford with their own sit down restaurant.

Reactions: wildcat1973
Village 8 Theaters isn't closed. We go there on occasion for a cheap movie that wasn't a must see at the main cinemas.

It's close though. Either Norton or Baptist Healthcare bought the property I believe. They were gonna boot them, but ended up letting them stay a bit longer until they figure out the plans.

It's close though. Either Norton or Baptist Healthcare bought the property I believe. They were gonna boot them, but ended up letting them stay a bit longer until they figure out the plans.

I didn't know about that. I just researched it and they have until their lease runs out at the end of the year. Well that sucks. The only discount theater in Louisville will be gone. I doubt they build another one. You could take a family of four and spend about $30 to see a movie and buy snacks compared to probably $50 at one of the bigger places like Rave, Carmike, Cinemark, etc.

Not a Louisville mall, but the Parkway Plaza mall in Madisonville had a pet store when it opened. They had a monkey that would sit in his cage and jack it all day.

I didn't know about that. I just researched it and they have until their lease runs out at the end of the year. Well that sucks. The only discount theater in Louisville will be gone. I doubt they build another one. You could take a family of four and spend about $30 to see a movie and buy snacks compared to probably $50 at one of the bigger places like Rave, Carmike, Cinemark, etc.

Yeah I'll miss it greatly . Have so many fun memories there from childhood

But $50? Shiiiiietttt. Family of 4 can run ya $70-$80 easy .

Yeah I'll miss it greatly . Have so many fun memories there from childhood

But $50? Shiiiiietttt. Family of 4 can run ya $70-$80 easy .

Depends on what day you go and what time. We usually go to matinees when we go as a family. You can also go on Tuesdays at the theater near me for like $5 a ticket all day. It definitely can get up in the range you mentioned though. Weekend prices combined with 3D and you can spend $50 just in tickets. Then throw in at least $30 for 4 drinks and a large popcorn and you hit $80 easy.

I kinda wish they would just bypass the theaters and release everything straight to Blu-ray and it would save the consumer so much money. They'd make a killing on disc sales and rentals.

ADVERTISEMENT