ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams wins game and improved in every stat from last year

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
Return touchdown, 46 yard field goal, and 5 extra points. 14 points. Difference in the ball game.

Field goal percentage improved from 67 to 90 percent (10th in the nation)
punt return improved from 5.1 to 9.1 yards
Net punting improved from 36.6 to 37.4 yards
Kickoff return improved from 18.7 to 27 yards per return (4th in the nation)
Kickoff defense improved from 23.9 to 22.4 per return

Remember last year when we couldn't attempt kicks because didn't know if we could snap the ball?
These stats don't account for all that mess.

Contrary to arrogant jackass radio personalities, new special teams coach was humble upgrade from last year.

It was bound to improve as it could not get any worse. But yes, Boulware was an improvement. He now needs to reflect on this year and realize his punter has always punted Australian style and really struggled this year punting traditional style.

I wish we had this kicker another 2-3 years! He’s been pretty much automatic!

Return touchdown, 46 yard field goal, and 5 extra points. 14 points. Difference in the ball game.

Remember last year when we couldn't attempt kicks because didn't know if we could snap the ball?

Contrary to arrogant jackass radio personalities, new special teams coach was humble upgrade from last year.
Bouiware was a good hire and did what was needed. We'd have won 1 mroe game if we had special teams worth a lick.

I give Stoops credit for having contacts to hire Boulware but Stoops was bad coaching for going w/o special teams coach for all the years he did.

I don’t mind Matt Jones unlike many of you, however, he’s dead wrong about our special teams. They are much better overall.

While net punting did improve, but 37.4 is still not good. Trying to punt traditional with an Aussie style punter is stupid IMO. Square peg in round hole

I don’t mind Matt Jones unlike many of you, however, he’s dead wrong about our special teams. They are much better overall.
I'm a fan too. Unfortunately, that means I listen a lot, and ive hear a lot of his way over the top criticism that's been wrong and weirdly targeted.

I'm a fan too. Unfortunately, that means I listen a lot, and ive hear a lot of his way over the top criticism that's been weirdly constant. I'm afraid it's byproduct if ESPN work where probably want him to be more Stephen A Smithish.

Boulware was a home run hire. Wish we can do it again this offseason with improvement at WR coach, Safeties coach, maybe O line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT