ADVERTISEMENT

Space

Lazlo7

Sophomore
Mar 4, 2020
Crazy what is going on up there. Today SpaceX launched 2 Falcon rockets in Orbit and successfully landed both of them (this is their 281st time to land the booster). One was landed from where it launched and the otherwas landed on a drone ship. The first was transport mission carrying 53 satellites which it slowly ejected into orbit over 10 minutes. The second was a Starlink mission carrying 23 V2 mini satellites. It was the 22nd Starlink launch of the year (1 every 3 or 4 days) and the 13th time this particular Falcon booster rocket has been launched into space and landed back on Earth. There have been over 550 Satellites deployed in orbit this year and it is just now March.

Last edited:
Crazy what is going on up there. Today SpaceX launched 2 Falcon rockets in Orbit and successfully landed both of them (this is their 281st time to land the booster). One was landed from where it launched and the otherwas landed on a drone ship. The first was transport mission carrying 53 satellites which it slowly ejected into orbit over 10 minutes. The second was a Starlink mission carrying 23 V2 mini satellites. It was the 22nd Starlink launch of the year (1 every 3 or 4 days) and the 13th time this particular Falcon booster rocket has been launched into space and landed back on Earth. There have been over 550 Satellites deployed in orbit this year and it is just now March.
We've watched dozens of launches, including 5 shuttle launches, and it never gets old, especially an evening/night launch.

Lately I've had some thoughts about space (never have in the past). So, when we see a black hole thousands of light years away, or any big event to a star that far away, aren't we seeing what happened thousands of years ago? We have no idea what is happening now, or even in the last millenia that far out into space. Could a black hole grow at a rate that is faster than the speed of light, in which case could it get to us (or suck us in) before we saw it coming? Or when we see a distant planet thousands of light years away that appears capable of sustaining life, that is what it looked like thousands of years ago, it could be very different now.

To build on that, hypothetically, let's suppose aliens have been here, maybe even thousands of years ago and built the many pyramids spread over the world. To reach us, they too would have likely had to travel here faster than the speed of light (unless their life spans are hundreds of times longer than ours), and thus if they came here (to harm us) they could also come here faster than we could see (faster than light travels), so they wouldn't be here and then instantly they would be here.

Lately I've had some thoughts about space (never have in the past).

Hello fellow human, and welcome to thinking about space! To save you some time I’d like to prepare you for the steps:

1) Start thinking about space (you are here)

2) Start asking questions, from extremely basic to more complex

3) Start realizing you cannot even come close to answering, let alone fully comprehending all your questions, allowing you to conclude that humans are clueless dolts

4) Get a headache

5) Go back to being pissed that Calipari can’t even figure out who the 5 best basketball players on his own team are

I would be interesting in hearing feedback from anyone that has a Starlink subscription compared to AT&T, Comcast or other wire based services.

All of the "space junk" is going to form a serious barrier to us colonizing the far reaches of spac...

I can't say it with a straight face. We ain't colonizing sh*t. We all know it. Science knows it, Common sense knows it. We're stuck here, so you'd better get used to the idea.

We ain't colonizing sh*t. We all know it.
White man’s burden, Lloyd. White man’s burden.
shining29.png

Lately I've had some thoughts about space (never have in the past). So, when we see a black hole thousands of light years away, or any big event to a star that far away, aren't we seeing what happened thousands of years ago? We have no idea what is happening now, or even in the last millenia that far out into space. Could a black hole grow at a rate that is faster than the speed of light, in which case could it get to us (or suck us in) before we saw it coming? Or when we see a distant planet thousands of light years away that appears capable of sustaining life, that is what it looked like thousands of years ago, it could be very different now.

To build on that, hypothetically, let's suppose aliens have been here, maybe even thousands of years ago and built the many pyramids spread over the world. To reach us, they too would have likely had to travel here faster than the speed of light (unless their life spans are hundreds of times longer than ours), and thus if they came here (to harm us) they could also come here faster than we could see (faster than light travels), so they wouldn't be here and then instantly they would be here.
Sir you are asking some deep questions that I will attempt to respond to in a few days. Black holes are weird time creatures.

I spent a lot of my "free time" as a youth, expanding my mind, and pondering things like this. Usually in a park (Shillito) on a sunny afternoon, with a friend, and a Frisbee, after dropping a couple of tabs of LSD.

I was sure I had the answer, but I'll be damned if I can remember it now.

All of the "space junk" is going to form a serious barrier to us colonizing the far reaches of spac...

I can't say it with a straight face. We ain't colonizing sh*t. We all know it. Science knows it, Common sense knows it. We're stuck here, so you'd better get used to the idea.

In a few thousand years, earth will have junk rings around the planet.

It's highly likely thousands of civilizations have existed and gone extinct before we ever came along. A couple of thousands of yrs for us vs billions of yrs throughout just our galaxy. The totality of the universe is too much for my mind to fathom.

Carl Sagan said either the universe is booming with life or its empty and we are it.

I also believe our biological shortcomings make us way too weak of a species for space as we know it. Which could be true throught most of our known galaxy. Much more likely any existence capable of traveling the cosmos would be machine and A.I. oriented.

Our lifespans are simply too short and biology far too weak to handle space travel

Reactions: d2atTech
I haven’t seen any reports from the climate alarmists about the rockets piercing the atmosphere yet ? Surely that will accelerate the polar caps melting with all those rockets flying around 🍺
I'm waiting for a bunch of liberal aliens to fly to Earth and protest our polluting of space.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn

Black holes were always fascinating to me but it was always pretty obvious that we really didn't know much about them - and there were these weirdly juxtaposed descriptions of them as either collapsed stars that retained a small amount of matter surrounded by an intense gravity well like field

OR -

Wormholes connecting different dimensions

Didn't Tesla get credited with discovering pulsars? He was picking up & monitoring the regular intervals of radio signals (?) and initially believed it was another intelligent civilization I think --- but --- it wasn't or course

I could never comprehend all the simultaneous movements of planetary rotation, revolution combined with solar system level movement & in the galaxy also moving along as well?

Seems like we would hit a lot more stuff -

Also - entirely fascinated with what happens to the human body when exposed to various degrees of exposure to the vacuum just outside your spacecraft -- you explode? While also freezing? Or IMPLODE ? While your blood boils?

Unless you're facing the sun then you may also get burned ?

But - what it theres just a SMALL leak?
Does your craft implode like a breached submarine at depth?

Or do you just notice a draft - and start having breathing problems?

Anyone remember the 80e movie "Outlander" with Sean Connery?

They had several scenes with death by exposure to space - it seemed slower than I thought it would be

Also -always thought NASA should start a trash / waste disposal program where we just load up landfills and other earth waste into large launch vehicles and shoot that crap in the general direction of the sun!

Or the other direction, whatever

Something tells me if we were taken into the voids outside our upper atmosphere - and could just suspend and look into the incompressible emptiness -- it would be a kind of HP Lovecraft type horror

PS - favorite planet was always Saturn with a soft spot for Neptune

PSS - I believe Saturn changed colors at one point (gold-silver?) and no one knew why or how

PSSS - Aren't there reliable data showing how Saturn emits unique radiation/frequencies that filter through "the rings" - and hit the earth with some measurable effect?

And other assorted high weirdness - its a mind trip for sure

The recorded sounds of radio (etc) signals emitted by the sun + planets - is somehow the most terrifying thing ive ever heard - especially Jupiter

DuckDuckGo that mess, cadets -
Its alien and unsettling, man

This talk of space has got me thinking about building a 3d printed telescope. You can get some mirrors on Amazon for like $30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT