ADVERTISEMENT

Sources Say (Potential Returnees)

So that’s 11 players, and ultimately only 8-9 will get minutes they’re happy with. Who are the odd men out? My guesses:

Burks
Somto
Perry, maybe, except he, Fland, and the mystery star guard may be the only shooters on the roster.

And speaking of guards, assuming we only start two, who comes off the bench? Cal’s pal DJ, his latest prized freshman Fland, or the mystery star transfer? My guess is the transfer, which is also why I don’t believe we really get a star at that position, more likely someone like year-one Reeves (which is fine if Cal still plays him, and we get a second year from him).
DJ would start so his wittle fweelings don’t get hurt.

All season long, pre injury, post injury, literally ALL SEASON LONG he was the worst statistical guard on the team. Analytics say he was basically THE worst player on the team that played meaningful minutes. Sure, if he shot 40% from 3 we'd all want him back. That would mean he was actually good. But he didn't. That's sorta like if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. I mean, she doesn't, so she's not.

Wheeler was a good driver too, just for reference.
I was making a point that theres more to playing basketball than a 3 pointer which he started shooting pretty good after his injury. You can get wrapped into analytics all you want but there's not a school in the country that wouldn't take DJ Wagner for a sophomore season.
Again, the player you watched this season won't be the same player next year.

I don’t know what it is about DJ but so many think he can’t improve. It’s weird. He had some great games last year.
He can improve but only if he dedicates himself to working on his shot. Mark Sears was said to have been shooting 1500 3s a day or some such numbers as that after not being good as a frosh.

Sans that he will not be a lot better especially if he’s just going to pound the ball until he finally shoots it or drives into the trees and gets his shot blocked.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He is definitely that if he is healthy
Problem is to get those numbers he’ll have to log a ton of minutes and his defensive assignment will be scoring at will.

I’m good with him returning if he comes off the bench for <20min a game.

He can improve but only if he dedicates himself to working on his shot. Mark Sears was said to have been shooting 1500 3s a day or some such numbers as that after not being good as a frosh.

Sans that he will not be a lot better especially if he’s just going to pound the ball until he finally shoots it or drives into the trees and gets his shot blocked.
Yeah it will definitely take work, he was starting to come around before his injury. Just the all left handed layups don’t work at this level. He has to finish better and gain strength. Then figure out the best route to go in specific circumstances. As you said shoot 1000 3’s a day. Work on his handle and passing. Become a legit PG because that will be his spot at this level.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I don’t know what it is about DJ but so many think he can’t improve. It’s weird. He had some great games last year.
It's the same thing going all across our fanbase right now. We have a segment of our fans that's one of the worst in America. Believing that every year should be a final 4. Before anyone tells me I'm wrong tell me which year you are good with ending early? Hell there's one post on the board tonight calling our title game in 14 a failure of a season. The fanbase is in shambles right now.
They want 4 year players but they only want superstar Players for 4 years or it is cals fault. Get with the times people

It's already begun...potential returnees...

Edwards
Thiero

And we aren't even past the Final Four weekend yet, folks.

Any real updates or is everything still speculation? I saw where two portal targets are off the list. Anyone Cal is putting a high priority on?

He was worse than guys who had 3 of the best 5 3pt shooting %'s over the past 30 years at UK. The only 2 other's in that top 5 were the same person (Lamb). That does not mean he wasn't good. In comparison to them, you are correct, but in general no. In comparison to those 3, Booker was not good.

And you can't convince me that his ankle injury was not a factor in how he performed when he was on the court. Does that mean I think when healthy he will shoot 3's as good as any of the 3 R's? No, not close!!! But it does mean I think he will shoot it better (I think respectable 35% 3pt), he will be able to drive better, and defend better. Not to mention most players improve their 2nd year, often that is when the biggest improvement takes place.
And comparing him (a FR) to Wheeler (a JR & SR) is a joke. When Wheeler had the ball at the 3pt line teams wouldn't even pretend to guard him, they would be 10' away daring him begging him to shoot it. At his size Wheeler was a liability on defense. And Wheeler turned it over much more (1 every 12.2min, compared to 1 every 17.4min).
Dude. He was bad. The numbers prove it. Literally THE WORST analytically on a team that lost double digit games and got bounced in the first round. But yes, he was also worse than the other three guards. And anyone else that played in the rotation. Any metric. At any point in the season. Pre injury. Post injury. The. Absolute. Worst. Now, I'm sure your super experienced fanboy eye test says different. Cool. I tend to prefer the data that doesn't wear jerseys or hang posters in their rooms.

Wheeler could drive and it amounted to nothing. DJ can drive and it amounted to nothing. That's the beginning and the end of the comparison. FWIW, DJ is a liability on defense. The metrics prove it. I'm sure your eye test says differently though.

I was making a point that theres more to playing basketball than a 3 pointer which he started shooting pretty good after his injury.
No he didn't. He shot it well for a game or two when teams didn't guard him. They started guarding him and he didn't make squat. He played HORSE for a couple games, that's it. There's an entire season full of evidence on how poorly he shot it. Don't let two games change that narrative.
You can get wrapped into analytics all you want
To not get "wrapped up into analytics" is about as ancient as you can get. There's a reason the Alabama's of the world are crushing it.
but there's not a school in the country that wouldn't take DJ Wagner for a sophomore season.
Take him how? I'd LOVE sophomore DJ Wagner playing 10-15 mins a game backing up three better guards in a rotation. DJ wagner 20+ mins/game with the ball in his hands constantly? No thanks. If he's the best guard on the floor, it will be a long winter.
Again, the player you watched this season won't be the same player next year.
I hope not. But I have absolutely no evidence that supports that. And neither do you.

No he didn't. He shot it well for a game or two when teams didn't guard him. They started guarding him and he didn't make squat. He played HORSE for a couple games, that's it. There's an entire season full of evidence on how poorly he shot it. Don't let two games change that narrative.

To not get "wrapped up into analytics" is about as ancient as you can get. There's a reason the Alabama's of the world are crushing it.

Take him how? I'd LOVE sophomore DJ Wagner playing 10-15 mins a game backing up three better guards in a rotation. DJ wagner 20+ mins/game with the ball in his hands constantly? No thanks. If he's the best guard on the floor, it will be a long winter.

I hope not. But I have absolutely no evidence that supports that. And neither do you.
As I posted in the first page of this thread DJ was basically left wide open and shot 29%, what is gonna happen next year when he is a volume shooter with no other shooters? There is a role for him for sure, but Cal should bring in at least two more guards who are dead eye shooters to go with him and Fland.

Reactions: Eagles_Ball
Not me. I won’t be watching or spending my money till he’s gone. 5 grand I dropped for both tournaments and he didn’t know Oakland played Zone. Done.

Amen brother. I did the same thing and won't do it again until he is gone!

Amen brother. I did the same thing and won't do it again until he is gone!
Zero refund on the room in Pittsburgh because my travel agent booked it thru Expedia. I’m like, does anyone do their job anymore. I asked her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT