ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like our odds to land Carey may be improving.

flacat22

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2011
Florida
According to TJ Walker:

Folks, I think UK leads. There’s a quiet confidence from folks close to UK about Carey and I’m starting to hear whispers from AAU folks that think the Cats have moved to the front of his recruitment. There’s not much of an obvious relationship between Carey and Whitney, but during basketball camps over the weekend the two spent a good chunk of their free time together. Whitney has already started recruiting on UK’s behalf, and while that’s generally overblown, it doesn’t hurt.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/8/1...ruiting-update-vernon-carey-kentucky-wildcats

Best case scenario, assuming they don't want to play together, is Carey to Kentucky and Wiseman to Memphis, where he'll disappear playing for a non-factor program and a totally overmatched rookie coach.

That said, my barber has been a better source of recruiting news in the last couple years than KSR.

Best case scenario, assuming they don't want to play together, is Carey to Kentucky and Wiseman to Memphis, where he'll disappear playing for a non-factor program and a totally overmatched rookie coach.
We will see how much Wiseman wants to go to memphis when they finish below .500 this year.

Reactions: KYJamm

That said, my barber has been a better source of recruiting news in the last couple years than KSR.

Who is you barber ?

Reactions: Newcattitudes
I thought his rep for having actual info wasn’t the greatest?
Maybe so, I was only a paying member for his last 9 months or so. But many posters that praised him and his info now bash him now that he is gone. I never saw him to be wrong about anything. I will say that his replacements do seem to be a lot more connected with more info.

Reactions: TIE543 and Aike
I think hurt is a pipedream. As someone else pointed out, he’s a midwestern adidas kid.

Reactions: brianpoe
It took until the full fourth post to bash KSR. I had the over under at 1.5. Good job RR you should be proud!
tenor.gif

Some follow up with a few of these guys.

McDaniels is a fantastic talent but not sure he/UK are a fit. Friend in Vegas said he comes off as wanting to be THE man and nothing wrong with that, but not going to happen at UK. You have to fit in with other guys. Also interested if there is any carryover from he/Whitney getting into it. McDaniels got in his feelings a bit after game and didn't let it go, so never know if that has effect or not.

Hurt's dad informed local media that older brother's goal was to play at Minnesota where Matthew's goal is to make it to the NBA and play a long time. If that's not the early message to local fans that he's leaving, don't know what else he could say.

Hearing UK will keep Wiseman recruitment quiet as possible. Memphis is playing all their cards and doing any/everything to pressure the kid into committing.

Carey recruitment is feeling a lot like Knox recruitment to me. UK invested a lot of time in tracking Knox at games and everyone blew them off and then he picked them. Carey's only has 4 visits left too with him already using the Michigan State official. Will be fun to track where Cal/UK go once Sept visit period starts up.

Tshiebwe is the type of kid I'd like to see UK continue to add. Talent is never a question when this staff recruits, but love how they have adjusted to guys who are alpha male competitive. What's been missing IMO is the "I am going to kick your ass because I love to kick ass" not because of cameras, etc....and too many guys have had to been prodded to play hard, work on their games, etc....and then upset they aren't getting results. Coaches can only instruct/inform, they can't do it for you. The #1 adjustment by the Staff was making sure they are targeting better fits and not going off carbon copies of what worked in past. Oscar is the type who fits this adjustment.

Kofi Cockburn and Oak Hill are a great fit. Steve Smith and staff did a fantastic job with David McCormack the FR at Kansas and Cockburn chose them due to their development of making him a more agile/mobile player and getting his weight down.

Still hearing Scottie Lewis is reaching out to Staff and wants to be recruited hard. He's not worried about wings--but this would depend on who stays/goes at UK too. Lewis likely deciding early, so just don't see it happening but never know, Cal's known he/Antione a longtime and they used to workout with same trainer as Brad Calipari. Antione isn't going to UK and I doubt he takes/make his visit.

A lot of UK buzz around '20 big man N'Faly Dante. He's related to Chieck Diallo and Diallo wanted to go to Kentucky badly but as we know he had some issues and UK passed because of them. While KU was able to get Diallo to eventually play, UK feared he'd be ruled ineligible all year.

Hearing Jalen Suggs rumors of heading to a Prep School heating up around here and he's got to sit out a few weeks due to injury so will find out if he's at FB practices which started today for Fall Sports in MN. Know IMG/Montverde have reached out.

Some follow up with a few of these guys.

McDaniels is a fantastic talent but not sure he/UK are a fit. Friend in Vegas said he comes off as wanting to be THE man and nothing wrong with that, but not going to happen at UK. You have to fit in with other guys. Also interested if there is any carryover from he/Whitney getting into it. McDaniels got in his feelings a bit after game and didn't let it go, so never know if that has effect or not.

Hurt's dad informed local media that older brother's goal was to play at Minnesota where Matthew's goal is to make it to the NBA and play a long time. If that's not the early message to local fans that he's leaving, don't know what else he could say.

Hearing UK will keep Wiseman recruitment quiet as possible. Memphis is playing all their cards and doing any/everything to pressure the kid into committing.

Carey recruitment is feeling a lot like Knox recruitment to me. UK invested a lot of time in tracking Knox at games and everyone blew them off and then he picked them. Carey's only has 4 visits left too with him already using the Michigan State official. Will be fun to track where Cal/UK go once Sept visit period starts up.

Tshiebwe is the type of kid I'd like to see UK continue to add. Talent is never a question when this staff recruits, but love how they have adjusted to guys who are alpha male competitive. What's been missing IMO is the "I am going to kick your ass because I love to kick ass" not because of cameras, etc....and too many guys have had to been prodded to play hard, work on their games, etc....and then upset they aren't getting results. Coaches can only instruct/inform, they can't do it for you. The #1 adjustment by the Staff was making sure they are targeting better fits and not going off carbon copies of what worked in past. Oscar is the type who fits this adjustment.

Kofi Cockburn and Oak Hill are a great fit. Steve Smith and staff did a fantastic job with David McCormack the FR at Kansas and Cockburn chose them due to their development of making him a more agile/mobile player and getting his weight down.

Still hearing Scottie Lewis is reaching out to Staff and wants to be recruited hard. He's not worried about wings--but this would depend on who stays/goes at UK too. Lewis likely deciding early, so just don't see it happening but never know, Cal's known he/Antione a longtime and they used to workout with same trainer as Brad Calipari. Antione isn't going to UK and I doubt he takes/make his visit.

A lot of UK buzz around '20 big man N'Faly Dante. He's related to Chieck Diallo and Diallo wanted to go to Kentucky badly but as we know he had some issues and UK passed because of them. While KU was able to get Diallo to eventually play, UK feared he'd be ruled ineligible all year.

Hearing Jalen Suggs rumors of heading to a Prep School heating up around here and he's got to sit out a few weeks due to injury so will find out if he's at FB practices which started today for Fall Sports in MN. Know IMG/Montverde have reached out.
Now this is recruiting info ^

Im not relying on whispers in the wind.

It's more concrete than a vibe but less meaningful than chatter. It may or may not correlate to the way the winds are blowing, but either way you need to keep alert for the latest scuttlebutt because, as always, these situations are fluid.
Also, subject to change

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I want Oscar T.... ... Carey doesnt have the motor or drive that Oscar has and I'll give up 1-2 inches and a wee little bit of talent for that massive heart and effort that Oscar T. has any day.. all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT