ADVERTISEMENT

SOT: After Storm Checkin

Everybody pokes fun at "Twisters" but to us chasers, there's parts of that mythos that rings true. We treat tornados as the predators they are and respect them like living things.

We've learned a great deal about them in 30+ years, but there's still things they do where we look at the science we have and go "Why the hell did it do that?" There's still a decent clip of things about them we just don't understand, because the physics involved in a supercell thunderstorm are insanely intricate. And while we understand some mechanics, we still don't understand enough to know when and exactly where they will form. We don't understand how they move sometimes, why they will sometimes occlude and other times don't. Why the tend to sometimes turn fully left even though a supercell's natural inclination is to rotate cyclonically (counter-clockwise).

That motion should spin them SW to NE in most situations. But sometimes, they do strange things and will turn left, causing them often times to go North. Most long track twisters all follow that SW to NE model. But just every so often, they play games and it adds to the mythos of those hauntingly beautiful bastards to turn on you. And that's when you can get killed. Even if you're being careful. And that's partially what happened in El Reno. And as bad as it was it could've been worse. That was only an EF-3. But that rating is misleading. Had it gone through an even more populated area? It was easily and EF-5 without breaking a sweat. That tornado had mini-vortices inside her, kind like Satan's Spirograph. With wind speeds recorded at 296MPH. Any meteorologist will begrudgingly tell you it was an EF-3, but it should've been an EF-5. We need to stop labeling tornadoes by how much they "eat". The only reason we did was because we lacked sufficient technology to gauge their winds; now we don't. But that's just a personal opinion.

El Reno was a dead man walking tornado. So was Joplin. So was Moore.
And for those that don't know what that means, allow me to show you:
dnnbtbkgunvc1.gif

That's from the Jarrel, TX EF in 1997. It's a multiple vortex system that looks like a man walking the Earth, just crushing everything beneath it's "feet"

And that is why those of us who are fascinated by them, tell stories about them. And why even though we have much better science now to help us with them, they will always have an air of mystery and mythology.
Native american legend says if you saw a dead man walking tornado. It meant death had marked you.

• Wow
Reactions: kywildcat41086
my county got slammed twice. Once around midday. I was on duty for that one. The damage was pretty extensive in some areas. It knocked power out to our water plant so the entire county was without water till a couple hours ago. The main damage path was about 8 miles long west-east across the county. We were hit hard again around midnight with more widespread damage. All told about 60% of the county was without power after the storms. Thankfully to my knowledge we didn’t have any injuries.

Had El Reno formed 30 miles east it would have gone right through downtown OKC during rush hour. All of the Moore tornadoes were in the OKC metro area. Honestly with that city it's not really a matter of if but when.
Yep, That's why I said El Reno could've been much much worse.

The Moore tornadoes kinda count. But when we think major US city we usually think downtown metro. And luckily, outside of Nashville, that's never really happened.

Reactions: RunninRichie
my county got slammed twice. Once around midday. I was on duty for that one. The damage was pretty extensive in some areas. It knocked power out to our water plant so the entire county was without water till a couple hours ago. The main damage path was about 8 miles long west-east across the county. We were hit hard again around midnight with more widespread damage. All told about 60% of the county was without power after the storms. Thankfully to my knowledge we didn’t have any injuries.
I think you're next door to me county wise. I heard that on the news about the water. Did they not have a generator for backup at such a crucial facility?

Got very lucky.

Lost power for literally two seconds, lost one medium sized branch in the backyard and one of my wife's patio cushions is MIA. I won't complain.

Several in my county are still without power/suffered some kind of damage.

North of Dawson Springs got hit hard as well as small town of Charleston north of Dawson Springs got flatten. Have not heard of any deaths. Pray for all of those hit by storms. Many people lost everything.
I grew up in Charleston. My sister lives in Dawson Springs near I-69. She doesn't have any power, but luckily is okay.

Obliviously cities can also be hit by tornadoes but one thing stopping me from ever moving to a small town or out in the country is the heightened danger of a tornado. Luckily I've seen many mean storms over the years heading towards Louisville greatly weaken a county or two away, yet in some of these small towns, storms strengthen and destroy. Tornado Alley has supposedly moved more east southeast and I've noticed southern counties and places like TN getting hit more (than usual?). Wanna recommend Ryan Hall on YouTube (Ryan Hall Y'all). EKY guy who has a severe weather live streaming empire. He and fellow mets along with storm chasers stay on top of every warning around the country. Actually saw two tornadoes in MO yesterday form and cause damage because of chasers he works with.
Love Ryan's channel. I tune in quite a bit. Was on there for hours Sunday.

I think you're next door to me county wise. I heard that on the news about the water. Did they not have a generator for backup at such a crucial facility?
Nope. Apparently not. We were without water for a week or longer over the winter

We were on our way home from my son's basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau, literally trying to outrun the tornado. One of the scarier three hour drives of my life. Made it home safely to tons of debris and still no power.
You shouldn't do this. The storm was just north of the parkway and if it turned you could have been hurt or worse. Problem is a storm from NW came in and moved it south.

The small tornadic storm had 60,000 foot tops. The bigger storm rolling out of Illinois was over 50k. Just stop to west of storm and wait. Nobody wants to make it home to get blown away.

Now if you had radar the entire time and knew what you were doing, then ok.

I’m in south Florida, born and raised in Owensboro . Glad everyone is ok. Weather is crazy this summer. They are predicting a busy hurricane season down here.
South Florida here too. In 2019, I thought Dorian was going to crush us, but stalled in the Bahamas. Worried about this year. The surf temps here have been in the low to mid 80s for more than a month.

It could have been an epic disaster. The system went through the LBL area...the opening weekend of the campgrounds being opened.
My power came back yesterday afternoon, and these linemen don't get paid enough for what they do. Likely two or 3 weeks of cleanup to go, but this was thankfully not Mayfield again.

But all are correct...a super cell hitting downtown Nashville at a rush hour would be an epic disaster....and nature tells us it's just a roll of the dice before that happens.

Nope. Apparently not. We were without water for a week or longer over the winter
Mind blowing tbh. I'm honestly scared to death for our water supply in this country esp. after learning some disturbing things cybersec wise.

All I can say is, basic security matters. And the fact some people in critical infrastructure is so lax about it is infuriating.

It could have been an epic disaster. The system went through the LBL area...the opening weekend of the campgrounds being opened.
My power came back yesterday afternoon, and these linemen don't get paid enough for what they do. Likely two or 3 weeks of cleanup to go, but this was thankfully not Mayfield again.

But all are correct...a super cell hitting downtown Nashville at a rush hour would be an epic disaster....and nature tells us it's just a roll of the dice before that happens.
The odds are small.....but never zero.

You shouldn't do this. The storm was just north of the parkway and if it turned you could have been hurt or worse. Problem is a storm from NW came in and moved it south.

The small tornadic storm had 60,000 foot tops. The bigger storm rolling out of Illinois was over 50k. Just stop to west of storm and wait. Nobody wants to make it home to get blown away.

Now if you had radar the entire time and knew what you were doing, then ok.
It was that or stop where we saw it getting really bad, before eddyville. I'm honestly glad we did what we did. Still no power at my house.

• Sad
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Didn't use to like him, but he's great now. He's calmed down the "sensationalism" he once had before. He now has that seasoned attitude most of us have in the field. Yes, it's "cool" but there's people being ripped apart in these things. You have to acknowledge the very real human impact while being fascinated by the science and power. And he does that very well now with his Y'all Squad Fundraising.
And it's only by sheer grace of the Father we've never had a major city hit by a very strong tornado. The worst one in recent history was the F5 that hit Lubbock in 1970; and the one that it Nashville in 2020 (EF3) There's never been a EF4 or EF5 hit a major US city (like Dallas or even OKC). The closest we've come is Forth Worth in 2020 as an EF3. If an EF5 ever hit a place like Downtown Dallas, the results would be beyond catastrophic.
Glad to hear that about Hall. Someone here suggested his channel around the time of the Mayfield tragedy so I guess I didn't see that side of him. I believe he has a family now and the other day at one point 170,000 were watching so remaining calm and having that seasoned attitude as you put it is incredibly important. It's sobering watching radar and seeing the hook, then the warnings come, then he'll point out the new colors indicating a debris ball, and you get that sick feeling that in the last few minutes lives have potentially changed forever as you're watching these colors on a screen.

Reactions: Graham51
It was that or stop where we saw it getting really bad, before eddyville. I'm honestly glad we did what we did. Still no power at my house.
Driving into Hopkinsville on 68/80 and saw funnel cloud to East. Everyone kept driving into it. Not me. The west was safer.

Around 2003 or so, Sunday before Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: MbergCat
South Florida here too. In 2019, I thought Dorian was going to crush us, but stalled in the Bahamas. Worried about this year. The surf temps here have been in the low to mid 80s for more than a month.
What part of Florida? I’m in Bradenton , Sarasota area

Muhlenberg County here, spent time in our church basement twice Sunday, final time was 10 when we got the all clear. Two reported tornados, one we north and one went south, Beechmont area was hit the hardest. Drove through Greenville today and saw some huge trees down. This is Central City's second near miss, the December tornado that started in Mayfield and through Bremen just a few miles away, that night was the scariest night I have ever been through and I am 73! It was reported that 90% of Muhlenberg Co. was without power! Forgot we also had 4" plus of rain!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT