ADVERTISEMENT

SOT: After Storm Checkin

After the storm of March 2023 which did 60k damage to my house we were lucky this year. Some minor limbs down. Winchester seems to be fine.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
My powers out supposedly until the 29th but no trees fell on my house so im taking that as a win
Yeah a lot of folks around here, especially out in the county are still without power. Some of the younger folks in city were really griping when it was out longer than 2 hours. You can always tell who's never lived through a major ice storm before.

The one that hit in the 90s had most without power for up to 14 days. 4-5 hours was a minor inconvenience. Now, having the data go out on phones did suck, as you couldn't get news easily.

Having no major damage and no trees in my house? Win.

It didn’t do a lot besides wind and rain where I live but it’s one of the perks of living in the mountains! Lost power for a bit but it’s back on now.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Did nothing here in Barren CO. Just rained hard and a little windy. Think someone's flag got blown away, lol.

Got some big winds twice yesterday but we're all fine here. No damage or anything. I saw a graph yesterday that had almost 1000 tornado reports so far this year. It's usually around 600 for the YEAR. This has been a crazy year for weather. My prayers go out to the folks who weren't so fortunate yesterday.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Man, we got a little rocked down this way, but still consider it lucky as it could have been much worse.
Everyone ok after a wild weather day yesterday?
We were on our way home from my son's basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau, literally trying to outrun the tornado. One of the scarier three hour drives of my life. Made it home safely to tons of debris and still no power.

We were on our way home from my son's basketball tournament in Cape Girardeau, literally trying to outrun the tornado. One of the scarier three hour drives of my life. Made it home safely to tons of debris and still no power.
Scariest drive for me was when that tornado hit about 3 years ago. We got in the car at 12am and the power was gone. No street lights or anything. We drove to a family members house with a basement. It was pitch black outside and windy. Talk about scary as hell. Didn't know if the tornado was on the ground or what. All we knew was a tornado had hit BG.

Scariest drive for me was when that tornado hit about 3 years ago. We got in the car at 12am and the power was gone. No street lights or anything. We drove to a family members house with a basement. It was pitch black outside and windy. Talk about scary as hell. Didn't know if the tornado was on the ground or what. All we knew was a tornado had hit BG.
I feel that. Two of the most scary times I've ever had was when I as a storm spotter have had to hit the bathtub out of concern.

One of those days was yesterday. I opened the front door (not to go out but just get a better visual) and I had the front door sucked out of my hand and slammed shut.

That's a big NOPE I'm not playing with that and grabbed my heavy blankets, my phone (which was doing no good to be honest as data was down) and my dog's ashes (just in case damage started occurring- I wouldn't want to lose that)

Knock on wood the major severe season should be winding down (there's always gonna be a threat but man has May just sucked for severe weather).

Wow! Good thing you guys made it home. Night driving in stuff like that would have me shook.

Reactions: MbergCat
We were under a 4 out of 5 for most of Middle TN but fortunately the storms didn't have the intensity they thought they would. I know KY had a lot of tornado warnings last night though.

I feel that. Two of the most scary times I've ever had was when I as a storm spotter have had to hit the bathtub out of concern.

One of those days was yesterday. I opened the front door (not to go out but just get a better visual) and I had the front door sucked out of my hand and slammed shut.

That's a big NOPE I'm not playing with that and grabbed my heavy blankets, my phone (which was doing no good to be honest as data was down) and my dog's ashes (just in case damage started occurring- I wouldn't want to lose that)

Knock on wood the major severe season should be winding down (there's always gonna be a threat but man has May just sucked for severe weather).
Upenn is predicting 100 named tropical storms this year.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Upenn is predicting 100 named tropical storms this year.
That's just great......

And even worse is some slimy insurance companies are starting to deny coverage to some people as they've had too many claims from storm damage. What the eff are people supposed to do? Move to the moon? The economy acts like everyone has millions of dollars floating around. The collapse is going to be terrifyingly epic.

Good in Lexington. Sounds like the Dawson Springs area got hit again.
They sadly did. It was more of a "glancing blow" but the northern parts between Charleston and Dawson Springs were hit very hard. Even worse was the fact the gas station/Subway just north of there was in the direct line of it and had people just packed into it wanting to see a good storm. Idiots. I've chased before and you can do it safely, but you always know there may be one that gets you. And you are prepared for that.

I haven't chased much since Mayfield. It wasn't quite as "fun" after that.

Reactions: K86
They sadly did. It was more of a "glancing blow" but the northern parts between Charleston and Dawson Springs were hit very hard. Even worse was the fact the gas station/Subway just north of there was in the direct line of it and had people just packed into it wanting to see a good storm. Idiots. I've chased before and you can do it safely, but you always know there may be one that gets you. And you are prepared for that.

I haven't chased much since Mayfield. It wasn't quite as "fun" after that.
Reminds me of the EL Reno, OK tornado that got those chasers. They were following behind it. And it stopped, went backwards, killed them, then went back the way it was going. There's audio of it somewhere and you can hear the guy say ''we're gonna die''.

article-2335431-1A21DB7D000005DC-113_964x537.jpg

• Wow
Obliviously cities can also be hit by tornadoes but one thing stopping me from ever moving to a small town or out in the country is the heightened danger of a tornado. Luckily I've seen many mean storms over the years heading towards Louisville greatly weaken a county or two away, yet in some of these small towns, storms strengthen and destroy. Tornado Alley has supposedly moved more east southeast and I've noticed southern counties and places like TN getting hit more (than usual?). Wanna recommend Ryan Hall on YouTube (Ryan Hall Y'all). EKY guy who has a severe weather live streaming empire. He and fellow mets along with storm chasers stay on top of every warning around the country. Actually saw two tornadoes in MO yesterday form and cause damage because of chasers he works with.

Obliviously cities can also be hit by tornadoes but one thing stopping me from ever moving to a small town or out in the country is the heightened danger of a tornado. Luckily I've seen many mean storms over the years heading towards Louisville greatly weaken a county or two away, yet in some of these small towns, storms strengthen and destroy. Tornado Alley has supposedly moved more east southeast and I've noticed southern counties and places like TN getting hit more (than usual?). Wanna recommend Ryan Hall on YouTube (Ryan Hall Y'all). EKY guy who has a severe weather live streaming empire. He and fellow mets along with storm chasers stay on top of every warning around the country. Actually saw two tornadoes in MO yesterday form and cause damage because of chasers he works with.
Tornado alley has shifted from the great plains (OK, Kansas, Nebraska etc etc) to the southeast (Western TN, Western KY, AR, AL, MS). Or as it's called in weather circles ''dixie alley''. Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa all still getting hit as they always have.

Reminds me of the EL Reno, OK tornado that got those chasers. They were following behind it. And it stopped, went backwards, killed them, then went back the way it was going. There's audio of it somewhere and you can hear the guy say ''we're gonna die''.

article-2335431-1A21DB7D000005DC-113_964x537.jpg
Everybody pokes fun at "Twisters" but to us chasers, there's parts of that mythos that rings true. We treat tornados as the predators they are and respect them like living things.

We've learned a great deal about them in 30+ years, but there's still things they do where we look at the science we have and go "Why the hell did it do that?" There's still a decent clip of things about them we just don't understand, because the physics involved in a supercell thunderstorm are insanely intricate. And while we understand some mechanics, we still don't understand enough to know when and exactly where they will form. We don't understand how they move sometimes, why they will sometimes occlude and other times don't. Why the tend to sometimes turn fully left even though a supercell's natural inclination is to rotate cyclonically (counter-clockwise).

That motion should spin them SW to NE in most situations. But sometimes, they do strange things and will turn left, causing them often times to go North. Most long track twisters all follow that SW to NE model. But just every so often, they play games and it adds to the mythos of those hauntingly beautiful bastards to turn on you. And that's when you can get killed. Even if you're being careful. And that's partially what happened in El Reno. And as bad as it was it could've been worse. That was only an EF-3. But that rating is misleading. Had it gone through an even more populated area? It was easily and EF-5 without breaking a sweat. That tornado had mini-vortices inside her, kind like Satan's Spirograph. With wind speeds recorded at 296MPH. Any meteorologist will begrudgingly tell you it was an EF-3, but it should've been an EF-5. We need to stop labeling tornadoes by how much they "eat". The only reason we did was because we lacked sufficient technology to gauge their winds; now we don't. But that's just a personal opinion.

El Reno was a dead man walking tornado. So was Joplin. So was Moore.
And for those that don't know what that means, allow me to show you:
dnnbtbkgunvc1.gif

That's from the Jarrel, TX EF in 1997. It's a multiple vortex system that looks like a man walking the Earth, just crushing everything beneath it's "feet"

And that is why those of us who are fascinated by them, tell stories about them. And why even though we have much better science now to help us with them, they will always have an air of mystery and mythology.

North of Dawson Springs got hit hard as well as small town of Charleston north of Dawson Springs got flatten. Have not heard of any deaths. Pray for all of those hit by storms. Many people lost everything.
There were five deaths in the Commonwealth this past weekend from storms. One sadly in that demon in Hopkins County.

• Sad
Didn't use to like him, but he's great now. He's calmed down the "sensationalism" he once had before. He now has that seasoned attitude most of us have in the field. Yes, it's "cool" but there's people being ripped apart in these things. You have to acknowledge the very real human impact while being fascinated by the science and power. And he does that very well now with his Y'all Squad Fundraising.
And it's only by sheer grace of the Father we've never had a major city hit by a very strong tornado. The worst one in recent history was the F5 that hit Lubbock in 1970; and the one that it Nashville in 2020 (EF3) There's never been a EF4 or EF5 hit a major US city (like Dallas or even OKC). The closest we've come is Forth Worth in 2020 as an EF3. If an EF5 ever hit a place like Downtown Dallas, the results would be beyond catastrophic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightwish84
Tornado alley has shifted from the great plains (OK, Kansas, Nebraska etc etc) to the southeast (Western TN, Western KY, AR, AL, MS). Or as it's called in weather circles ''dixie alley''. Indiana, Ohio, and Iowa all still getting hit as they always have.
It's even shifting further south now. Places like Nashville and Murfreesboro have been seeing more severe weather than they used to. Dixie Alley is wide and in my book WORSE than the traditional Midwest Alley due to the amount of trees and obscured views for chasers and spotters.

There's a reason people like Reed Timmer HATE chasing in this part of the country. It's way harder than in the Midwest.

Got some big winds twice yesterday but we're all fine here. No damage or anything. I saw a graph yesterday that had almost 1000 tornado reports so far this year. It's usually around 600 for the YEAR. This has been a crazy year for weather. My prayers go out to the folks who weren't so fortunate yesterday.
I’m in south Florida, born and raised in Owensboro . Glad everyone is ok. Weather is crazy this summer. They are predicting a busy hurricane season down here.

Reactions: JDHoss
Didn't use to like him, but he's great now. He's calmed down the "sensationalism" he once had before. He now has that seasoned attitude most of us have in the field. Yes, it's "cool" but there's people being ripped apart in these things. You have to acknowledge the very real human impact while being fascinated by the science and power. And he does that very well now with his Y'all Squad Fundraising.
And it's only by sheer grace of the Father we've never had a major city hit by a very strong tornado. The worst one in recent history was the F5 that hit Lubbock in 1970; and the one that it Nashville in 2020 (EF3) There's never been a EF4 or EF5 hit a major US city (like Dallas or even OKC). The closest we've come is Forth Worth in 2020 as an EF3. If an EF5 ever hit a place like Downtown Dallas, the results would be beyond catastrophic.
Had El Reno formed 30 miles east it would have gone right through downtown OKC during rush hour. All of the Moore tornadoes were in the OKC metro area. Honestly with that city it's not really a matter of if but when.

Reactions: bbncal02
Lost power here in Louisville for about 4 hours Sunday afternoon. Many without power still after the storms passed through. Some estimates on getting power restored is 11pm Wednesday night. 😲

We had 3.5 inches from Sunday morning till 11 pm that night. For the month of May we have had over 11 inches of rain. Ground is soaked.

Last edited:
Lost power here in Louisville for about 4 hours Sunday afternoon. Many without power still after the storms passed through. Some estimates on getting power restored is 11pm Wednesday night. 😲
My Son lives in Anderson Co. and his power went off sometime Saturday and just now called and said it just came on. (Monday evening @ 6:45 pm)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT