ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo.....long time no post

Blueathletics

Senior
Dec 21, 2007
But thought I'd give out a little inside info I get from someone who attends practice quite frequently and almost everyone would know....

This person says Cal blows the whistle so frequently in practice that it both frustrates the players and never allows them to get into any sort of rythm whatsoever....thinks this is one reason their conditioning towards the end of games is not very good because they're constantly getting stopped and never get fully conditioned to play...

There was more but if I shared my source would be revealed and I don't want to do that.....If I get anything else I'll share

Hope to get back to doing the call-in show next week

Happy Thanksgiving!

But thought I'd give out a little inside info I get from someone who attends practice quite frequently and almost everyone would know....

This person says Cal blows the whistle so frequently in practice that it both frustrates the players and never allows them to get into any sort of rythm whatsoever....thinks this is one reason their conditioning towards the end of games is not very good because they're constantly getting stopped and never get fully conditioned to play...

There was more but if I shared my source would be revealed and I don't want to do that.....If I get anything else I'll share

Happy Thanksgiving!
That makes sense as to why our players always look great in pre-season games only to regress when the season starts. Does Cal break these kids down to nothing and try to build them up?

That makes sense as to why our players always look great in pre-season games only to regress when the season starts. Does Cal break these kids down to nothing and try to build them up?

I think this makes sense. He is probably trying to get them to peak at the right time. I’m over his BS. This team has experience. Make them a juggernaut and destroy everything in their path.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Welcome back buddy you’ve been missed around these parts!

Happy Thanksgiving!

He is alive, he is risen. Wait, wrong holiday. Welcome back to the land of the living.

I've been to a practice and Cal does constantly stop and instruct. But every practice I've ever been to with other coaches they do the same thing. Pitino was the same. I went to a Bobby Knight practice a couple times. He was constantly stopping and correcting in practice.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I saw a Saban practice on TV. He was stopping play all the time.

Nonsense on the conditioning part though. Conditioning is done away from the court. Supposedly this new strength and conditioning coach is the bomb.

That's all I heard until people want to find reasons to hate on Cal.

I watch the Kansas/Wisc game today. Neither team appeared to be in better condition than UK. Neither team ran set plays either. They don't even know they antiquated in today's game.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Gobble, gobble.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I've been to a practice and Cal does constantly stop and instruct. But every practice I've ever been to with other coaches they do the same thing. Pitino was the same. I went to a Bobby Knight practice a couple times. He was constantly stopping and correcting in practice.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I saw a Saban practice on TV. He was stopping play all the time.

Nonsense on the conditioning part though. Conditioning is done away from the court. Supposedly this new strength and conditioning coach is the bomb.

That's all I heard until people want to find reasons to hate on Cal.

I watch the Kansas/Wisc game today. Neither team appeared to be in better condition than UK. Neither team ran set plays either. They don't even know they antiquated in today's game.
Just as some take any chance they get to hate on cal, some come to his defense on everything.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Great information. Should make a big difference.

I reccomend people watch a Saban practice. IIRC there should be some open ones on youtube. Non stop whistles.
Perhaps bama players and other coaches players get better in practice instruction during their stoppage of play. As a whole they typically perform well in crunch time as does a lot of the other teams mentioned by another poster here. When’s the last time anything good happened in a big game for us after cal called a timeout.

Perhaps bama players and other coaches players get better in practice instruction during their stoppage of play. As a whole they typically perform well in crunch time as does a lot of the other teams mentioned by another poster here. When’s the last time anything good happened in a big game for us after cal called a timeout.
Good questions, but putting the blame on "too many" whistles in a practice is really silly.

Happy Thanksgiving!
You have to blow the whistle to explain what the player did good or bad in practice so they learn from their mistakes and what they did positive. That is coaching. What is the purpose of this post?

I’m sure Calipari has been blowing the whistle frequently during the years they went to final fours also, everything went well then

Reactions: kl40504
Unless you are seeing other teams' practices you really have no idea if this is an issue. I assume there is lots of whistle blowing in any college basketball practice

Reactions: Jperry1987
Exactly. Even when Cal actually does use a TO, we still look just as unorganized as we did prior to said TO. Did Cal even use a TO in that Gonzaga game and/or the MSU game?

Exactly. Even when Cal actually does use a TO, we still look just as unorganized as we did prior to said TO. Did Cal even use a TO in that Gonzaga game and/or the MSU game?
Now Cowtown. You are such a positive fan. Just remember your hero Pitino has won nothing since leaving UK.

The purpose of the post is to throw criticism at Coach Cal.
Why should he not get criticism? After all he can't coach and most know he can't. He caught "lighting in a jar" when he came here by using the one and done system. Now its done he is lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK_born_b_bread
That is why Cal beat him over 80 percent of the time while Cal has been at UK including twice in the NCAA tournament when it really counts. Facts hurting your agenda,?
I don’t have an agenda, I like Cal. But he is an average floor coach. Everyone in college bball knows it.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Happy Thanksgiving!
Great to hear you’re going to start doing the call in show .

Reactions: Blueathletics
You have to blow the whistle to explain what the player did good or bad in practice so they learn from their mistakes and what they did positive. That is coaching. What is the purpose of this post?
The purpose was merely pointing out what SOMEONE ELSE said took place in practice....someone whose jersey hangs in the rafters at Rupp....NOW you know why I hate posting here anymore...READING is fundamental!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT