ADVERTISEMENT

Someone is going to hire Nate Oats after this year

Wimp was mostly before my time. I do remember Hollywood Robinson, Speedwell, Horry team.

Oats might be a good coach and might not be. Hard to say yet. He has a very veteran team this year which is a major advantage thru covid imo.

We've been down the path hiring the flavor of the month before. This guy wouldn't be on my short list, just like BCG wasn't.
UK had to beat Bama for the 3rd time in '86(Wimp was the coach then too) in the NCAAT in the S16 to get to the E8 to play LSU for the 4th time. The NCAAT committee was ridiculous for putting 3 SEC teams in the same bracket. UK would have had to beat LSU 4 times to get to the FF. Unreal.

I'm not completely sold on Oats like I am Beard. Beard has the more impressive resume right now imo.

UK had to beat Bama for the 3rd time in '86(Wimp was the coach then too) in the NCAAT in the S16 to get to the E8 to play LSU for the 4th time. The NCAAT committee was ridiculous for putting 3 SEC teams in the same bracket. UK would have had to beat LSU 4 times to get to the FF. Unreal.

I'm not completely sold on Oats like I am Beard. Beard has the more impressive resume right now imo.

I am not sold on him either, not quite yet. I do like Eric Musselman though...like the NBA pedigree. Is a bit old though....was a late bloomer to college.

Out of all the up and comers or mid-level college guys my pick would be Mark Pope.

Very cerebral, Rhodes scholar, UK Grad, National Champ...like him and their style of play.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
FWIW- Oats and Alabama run very heavy DDO-principled offense. I wouldn’t think that would be overly popular around these parts.

Yep no pressure to win every season and a couple down years and he still will have job security. So why would he leave a job like UK and I’m sure knows it. If you are not competing for a top notch bowl every year at a power five school you will not be there long.
Expectations will rise.

This guy has done NOTHING to be in discussion to ever coach at UK. My goodness...he has a good shooting team one year. Let me know how they do in the tournament.

Reactions: JFCats22
FWIW- Oats and Alabama run very heavy DDO-principled offense. I wouldn’t think that would be overly popular around these parts.

Oh no, didn't you know. It's a very complex X & O offense. Oats is an offensive mastermind. Everyone on this forum says so...so it must be true. Lol...sarcasm.

Out of all the up and comers or mid-level college guys my pick would be Mark Pope.

Very cerebral, Rhodes scholar, UK Grad, National Champ...like him and their style of play.
Don't know enough about Pope as a coach to say. He would definitely understand BBN in and out. He would be a popular choice being a former player on a title team. You given me food for thought. Hadn't even considered him honestly.

It was Florida Gulf Coast. His name is Andy Enfiled. He is now at usc. His team is 18-3, and ranked #19.
He is on the Naismith COY Watchlist.
And his wife is still hot.

Picture isn't that rosy. Dude has won a shade over 50% of his games in near a decade at USC. Still hasn't achieved what he did at FGC in a crap hole conference..

Picture isn't that rosy. Dude has won a shade over 50% of his games in near a decade at USC. Still hasn't achieved what he did at FGC in a crap hole conference..

It is exactly that rosy this season.
All of what I typed is factual, including the part about his wife.

It is exactly that rosy this season.
All of what I typed is factual, including the part about his wife.

His wife is decent, not that it matters...yeah they are having a good year because of Mobley brothers and then it will be back to mediocrity as usual. But you are correct, not disputing that, just stating the "other" facts.

Edit- auto correct on my phone is ridiculous...

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
Don't know enough about Pope as a coach to say. He would definitely understand BBN in and out. He would be a popular choice being a former player on a title team. You given me food for thought. Hadn't even considered him honestly.

Reactions: Cawood86
All it takes on this board is for one heretofore obscure coach to have one great year before he becomes the next Messiah of college basketball.

You’re gaslighting. You’re attempting to diminish by insinuating people think Oats is the “messiah of college basketball”. Literally nobody has said that and nobody thinks he is the messiah of college basketball.

Your takes continue to disappoint.

Then how is Stoops doing so well if he’s playing so called “second fiddle”? UK football had been terribly neglected for 50 yrs until recently and now we are trending upward.

to your point, because of the economy of scale, winning football will stay top dog. It would be a hell of a lot harder for UA becoming a “basketball school” than it would for UK to be a “football school”.

5-6 is trending upward?

Coach Oats can win a championship at Alabama. If Florida can do it, you better believe Alabama can do it. We have better fan support in basketball and more money than Florida and we haven’t won anything. Win a national championship in basketball at Alabama and a sleeping giant will awake. Go to the 21 minute mark of this podcast. Coach Oats talks about being at a school like Alabama coaching basketball.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/good-...football-school-w-alabamas-nate-oats-80920924
Agree.

Unless it’s a blue blood job...why would he leave Bama??

Alabama has been searching for a coach that will win. We have been in the top 15 for basketball coaching salaries many times with coaches that haven’t even been to the sweet 16, must less won a championship. Win a championship at Alabama, you will get a lifetime contract.

New Arena
I assure you if a blue blood comes calling, you better be ready for a press conference! Plain and simple. Bama fans are waiting for Spring football practice rn! They couldn’t care less about basketball and I’m sure Oats knows that.

Reactions: westerncat
Who cares, he's unproven commodity at UK's level, coaching at Bama for CBB vs UK are galaxies apart, he'd probably fold like a cheap table cloth at UK.

Frank he is a nobody. He has two 7 footers in the PAC 12 that are generational talent on the west coast. He has a win percent of 58 in almost a decade and he hired the Dad to get the brothers.

His best year was the magic FGC run to Sweet 16 and he hasn't even made it there since.

He works in a conference where Mic Cronin is the cream of the crop.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Frank he is a nobody. He has two 7 footers in the PAC 12 that are generational talent on the west coast. He has a win percent of 58 in almost a decade and he hired the Dad to get the brothers.

His best year was the magic FGC run to Sweet 16 and he hasn't even made it there since.

Well, I’m not going as far to say that he is fantastic, nor that he is even super great. Or even great but he has his team doing at least well above average.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Covid year. With the exception of Bama and FL we were competitive against an ALL SEC schedule. Still won Gator Bowl.we got Wandake, Rodriguez, Coen. I’m excited

Touché. You’re right.

That being said I cringe when I hear “Covid year”. The hysteria and absurdity of Covid is just ridiculous. And all these restrictions and guidelines that make no sense aren’t going away ANY time soon. Next season will be the exact same so we can’t really say “Covid year” ya know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cawood86

@FrankUnderwood lmao

Lol. Take the L

I know you’re embarrassed. It’s okay, we all have to eat crow sometimes. It just happens to be your turn.

You were simply proven wrong as it was apparent you were unaware of his current team, #17 ranking and record. For real man- it’s okay. I’ve been wrong before too and had to eat crow.

ain’t no thang my dude! 👍🏽

We would pay $4 million especially if he takes us deep into the tournament. It’s not really about the money for Alabama. We obviously have unlimited resources in that department. It’s whether we believe he can win. NC State and Purdue over Alabama? Why? You can recruit better athletes at Alabama and you have unlimited resources with a new arena on the way.

NC State will pony up the cash to try and beat UNC/Duke, especially with coach K almost done.

I could see IU making a play for Oats at the end of the season. Maybe even UCLA. i was going to include Arizona amongst those that might make a play for him but, doubt he'd take the reins of a soon-to-be school on probation.

It won’t be UCLA as Cronin has a good class on the way.

Nobody is saying he wouldn’t go to Kentucky or Duke etc. if they came calling. I’m saying a coach can win a national championship at Alabama in basketball. Basketball is not football. Any school with money and the ability to recruit can win the national championship in basketball. Only a handful of schools will ever compete in football. History tells you that. Florida and Ohio State have won national championships in basketball. Think about that.
Florida I agree with but they had a great coach who they locked down for a long time. Ohio State has had success in basketball thru the years and basketball matters in the B1G. Not comparable to a school like Bama where football is and always will be 1, 1A, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Well, Alabama is all in for basketball now so if a coach leaves, it won't be because of the administration.

-New arena (coming soon)
-New practice facility
-Top medical facilities in nation
-Top nutritional facilities in nation
-Fans sell out current 15k+ arena without winning
-Produced top 10 recruiting classes from different coaches over last 20 years

Winning at Alabama is not about the school, it's up to the coach. Hopefully it happens this time around. Only time will tell.
They do not sell out the arena. I’ve been to Tuscaloosa 4 or 5 times when Kentucky played and it’s not full then. Can buy tickets directly from the school

You mean that guy is finally having some success? Good for him man.
I would say his prior success is what landed him the USC job but it’s ok you don’t remember him. He’s only coaching a top 20 team leading his league in the standings and is coaching Evan Mobley. Nothing big.

I know I’m not impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT