ADVERTISEMENT

Someone help me out about Crean

OHIO COLONEL

All-American
Feb 11, 2009
I've read multiple posters after the game last night, and for a number of months, talking about how Crean will elevate UGA in basketball. Specifically I've read how well he will recruit. Why would he recruit any better in Georgia/SE than Indiana (a hot bed of b'ball) and the general Midwest (especially the Chicago area). Other than one or two players over a number of years, I never saw him bring in top notch talent at either Marquette or IU.

I lived many years in Atlanta, and yes while there are some really good players in Georgia, I just don't see him making UGA a top tier program.

I've read multiple posters after the game last night, and for a number of months, talking about how Crean will elevate UGA in basketball. Specifically I've read how well he will recruit. Why would he recruit any better in Georgia/SE than Indiana (a hot bed of b'ball) and the general Midwest (especially the Chicago area). Other than one or two players over a number of years, I never saw him bring in top notch talent at either Marquette or IU.

I lived many years in Atlanta, and yes while there are some really good players in Georgia, I just don't see him making UGA a top tier program.

I would agree. I'm sure he gets paid well at Georgia. My guess would be he hides better in the SEC. Coaches a few years and retires in his wealth. FCC.

Many, many folks on here who said Rick Barnes was/is a horrible coach.

He didn't and he won't bring in top notch talent at Georgia. I've heard one of the problems he had in Indiana is that he didn't develop relationships with the high school and AAU coaches and wasn't particularly liked by them. Oh, he'll also over-recruit and not have enough schollies.

Because IU isn't the hot bed of B' Ball it was 20 years ago. As much as this might shock IU fans but Georgia isn't that much behind IU when it comes to the perception of high school kids. The difference being the recruiting base of Georgia is much better than that of Indiana. If Crean can just do a decent job in the Atlanta area he will have a consistent NCAA tournament team. As hard as it is to believe it might be harder to recruit to IU or Marquette than Georgia even with Georgia's lack of success. At least they can sell the home school angle.

He didn't and he won't bring in top notch talent at Georgia. I've heard one of the problems he had in Indiana is that he didn't develop relationships with the high school and AAU coaches and wasn't particularly liked by them. Oh, he'll also over-recruit and not have enough schollies.
He was born in Michigan and went to Central Michigan, and his whole coaching career has been in the Midwest (other than a few years at WKU)...so if he didn't/couldn't develop relationships with high school and AAU coaches at IU, then I don't see it happening in Georgia and other SE states. Maybe just a quirk in his personality or he thinks it's not needed.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Ive read this many times throughout the year, and how i wish it was true, Bogans wasn't stopping Wade no matter what. Wade is just a premiere athlete...the best NBA players can't stop Wade, but Bogans would have? Keith wasn't that good.

Wade and his team got their ass kicked by 33 points the very next game.

Bogans had a decent NBA career because of his defense, and he didn't have to "stop" Wade on that day... just hold him to a normal game. Or healthy Bogans could've helped out in other areas, like the 3 pt line, where Marquette hit 10 of 19. Also, IIRC, it was a tight whistle, featuring Karl Hess... which sure didn't help UK.

As for the topic, Crean will still be Crean... might get a stud here and there, like at IU, but it won't amount to much in the end.

Last edited:
Mark Fox just couldn't get over the hump at Georgia and finally wore out his welcome,Crean is no better of a coach than Fox and will likely have about the same record at UGA

Agree. I’m sure he likes the paycheck but him living in Athens steering a ship to nowhere has to make him miserable.

It’s possible to bring GA up a level or two but not likely. It would require a very charismatic, high level coach. In fact, someone like Calipari. I believe they will continue to pick up a really good player or two every few years just like years past.

Mark Fox just couldn't get over the hump at Georgia and finally wore out his welcome,Crean is no better of a coach than Fox and will likely have about the same record at UGA
Yes, I think this is the answer. I don't think folks expect Crean to recruit a bunch of 5-stars to Georgia, but the expectation is that he will do better than Mark Fox did. Mark Fox was not a very good ambassador for that program nor a very good recruiter. I always thought he got more out of the talent he recruited than most coaches would, but he struggled getting the talent to really compete. Crean may have that same struggle, but I think he's a step ahead in being an ambassador for that program and recruiting for them.

I will also add, it seems to me that much of our dislike for Tom Crean is about Indiana more than Crean. I will admit, I couldn't stand him at Indiana. I think he was the one who basically incited their already UK-hating fans to act the way they did on our last trip to Bloomington. He may not have realized just how toxic his words would be, but... well, our team has never returned. (and I hope we never do as long as I live) Cal and Crean have been good friends, though, and I think that will likely return now that he's at Georgia. Georgia fans are much more respectful toward UK, and that will make all the difference. At their worst, we might hear "traitor" chants directed at a player. (that was last night) But they won't rush the floor and trample our players and fans. They won't chant "Eff Kentucky." They won't be told to keep out all the BLUE and don't welcome them at all. They won't commemorate every victory over UK with artwork and "resurgence" posters, popcorn boxes, and etc. I don't have a problem with Crean now that he left the psychos in Bloomington.

I was really surprised to hear how well received Crean was at Georgia

He not a horrible coach by any stretch, but the bar for Crean at Georgia is maybe sweet 16 once every 6 years? I really have no idea, I'd like to see him do well, but I just don't see how.

Some coaches come in their first year and change the team, regardless of talent, to a disciplined, hard working team - to build the foundation of whats to come.

I didn't get that vibe from watching Georgia. Maybe he can land a Colin Sexton type player and turn in a good run that will elevate the expectations for awhile.

Reactions: TopCatCal
Yes, I think this is the answer. I don't think folks expect Crean to recruit a bunch of 5-stars to Georgia, but the expectation is that he will do better than Mark Fox did. Mark Fox was not a very good ambassador for that program nor a very good recruiter. I always thought he got more out of the talent he recruited than most coaches would, but he struggled getting the talent to really compete. Crean may have that same struggle, but I think he's a step ahead in being an ambassador for that program and recruiting for them.

I will also add, it seems to me that much of our dislike for Tom Crean is about Indiana more than Crean. I will admit, I couldn't stand him at Indiana. I think he was the one who basically incited their already UK-hating fans to act the way they did on our last trip to Bloomington. He may not have realized just how toxic his words would be, but... well, our team has never returned. (and I hope we never do as long as I live) Cal and Crean have been good friends, though, and I think that will likely return now that he's at Georgia. Georgia fans are much more respectful toward UK, and that will make all the difference. At their worst, we might hear "traitor" chants directed at a player. (that was last night) But they won't rush the floor and trample our players and fans. They won't chant "Eff Kentucky." They won't be told to keep out all the BLUE and don't welcome them at all. They won't commemorate every victory over UK with artwork and "resurgence" posters, popcorn boxes, and etc. I don't have a problem with Crean now that he left the psychos in Bloomington.

Nah, It's just as much CC...but heck, being butt hurt "way down yonder" in Georgia may be a help to Ole CC....(Seriously)

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Crean's recruiting at IU would dwarf that of Mark Fox at Georgia. Sweet Sixteens are what Georgia is after. Mark Fox generally pulled in 1-2 four-stars a year, generally all from the state of Georgia. Hammonds in '17, Harris & Crump in '16, Ogeide and Jackson in '15, Maten in '14., etc. That just isn't enough. He won 20, 21, 20, 19, and 18 games in his last 5 years. (He did get Kentavious Caldwell-Pope one year)

I think Crean could easily surpass that. Just next year, Crean will have 4 of his 5 starters back (Ogbeide is a senior) and he's bringing two four-star recruits in. We will really see what he can do next year. He should have a decent team and the 2020 recruiting class has 5 kids from Georgia in the top 100 and 3 in the top 15.

I;m with you 1,000% on this. If Crean couldn't win at a place like Indiana. Why does anyone think he's going to win at Georgia. It's like Will Muschamp when he couldn't win at Florida, why does anyone think he's going to ever win at South Carolina

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Wade and his team got their ass kicked by 33 points the very next game.

Bogans had a decent NBA career because of his defense, and he didn't have to "stop" Wade on that day... just hold him to a normal game. Or healthy Bogans could've helped out in other areas, like the 3 pt line, where Marquette hit 10 of 19. Also, IIRC, it was a tight whistle, featuring Karl Hess... which sure didn't help UK.

As for the topic, Crean will still be Crean... might get a stud here and there, like at IU, but it won't amount to much in the end.
The main thing about a healthy Bogans was that the white boy who killed us from outside wouldn’t have had anyone that he could have guarded! Therefore he would not have been in the game hitting all those threes!

Reactions: FutureCityCats
Ive read this many times throughout the year, and how i wish it was true, Bogans wasn't stopping Wade no matter what. Wade is just a premiere athlete...the best NBA players can't stop Wade, but Bogans would have? Keith wasn't that good.
He would have slowed him down plus went at him on the other end. It makes a difference losing a 6"5 defender

Many, many folks on here who said Rick Barnes was/is a horrible coach.
I’ve always said Barnes is a really good coach but not a great coach. His teams alway underachieved in the tourney. Great regular season and then a let down during post season. A lot of posters were saying they’d like him at UK. I’d disagree with that any day.this may be his year. But I used to always think that.

They're still right too, his 30 year coaching record hasn't changed in the last few weeks.

He's easily the best coach in the history of Texas basketball. He lead them to their only Final Four in modern times.
He's 41-10 in the last two years at Tennessee, and he is closing in on 700 wins in his career of coaching basketball at football schools.

I lived in Athens, Ga. for 21 years. I do not care who the coach is, they do not care about basketball in Athens, Ga. The metro has 150,000. The Ag Extension Coliseum with lipstick only seats 10,000. Despite the spin of ESPN the other night about how Crean has elevated the interest...bullshit.

The day I heard Mark Fox was leaving Nevada to go to Georgia...I held Nooooooooooooooooooo! Georgia did not deserve Fox. He ruined his coaching career by going there. FIRST THROUGH 100 PRIORITY...FOOTBALL. 100-150 SPRING FOOTBALL PRACTICE. 150 -300...RECRUITING. AFTER THAT, women's gymnastics, swimming, tennis, baseball...then basketball..

Crean isn't going to do anything there other than take there money. I am sure when they signed his contract....it says be competitive but don't have too much success...then when we can you in 5 years so we look like we care, we will give you a great parachute.

People are holding Crean to the Kentucky standard I feel like and of course he comes up short, he came short of the Indiana standard. But Kentucky basketball is not Georgia basketball. Georgia basketball is Kentucky football before Rich Brooks.

They’re not looking for a Calipari (final fours) or even a Mark Stoops (sweet 16s and E8s). They’re looking for a Rich Brooks, get you to bowl games and put some building blocks in place. In other words, consist NCAA tourney appearances and a sweet 16 or 2. Exactly what he’s already done.

Barnes has won 22 games in the ncaa tournament in 30 years and has one final four. He sucks ass as a coach in the tournament.

Are you stating he reserves the right to play his team into a loss during the tourny?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT