ADVERTISEMENT

Some wrong assumptions I think some may have about Pope’s offense next season

Feb 13, 2022
There have been a couple repeated refrains I’ve heard from others that I think are based on some possible misunderstanding.

1. That he wants to be a major 3-point shooting team.

Mark Pope made some remarks at his introductory presser about how BYU was number 2 in some 3-point metric. He then said something about how at UK we don’t settle for second place. This, understandably, led many to believe he was saying he was aiming for UK to be number 1 in that metric. But if you listen to the next thing he said (sorry, I’m just going by recollection) it makes it more clear that he was using these examples from his BYU team to make general statements about expectations at UK. So, I think he meant that UK likes to be number 1 in general, not necessarily at that particular 3-point metric, and I think the wording was just a little clunky and confusing.

2. Pope will play the same type of offense he played at BYU.

There was a Lexington channel that had an interview with Pope a couple days after his presser and during the interview he said something to the effect of, being at UK he would be able to try some different things offensively than what he did at BYU.

So, I think anyone who believes that Pope is trying to play the same style he played at BYU and that he’s just missing on shooters is at least partially mistaken. I think he is adapting to the SEC and has a different plan for this team. I’m sure it will include some shooters, but it’s clearly defense/passing-focused first and foremost.

I said this in another thread and am starting to believe it more and more.

Now that Pope has so much more talent available to him, I think he’s trying to recreate the 96’ Cats type of team.

He’s bringing in defensive superstars from all over and try to mix them in with 3 point shooters. He’s going to play Rick Pitino in his prime type of basketball because he knows how to play and coach that type of basketball.

We’re going to go 8-9 deep, run, press, trap, and shoot 3’s.

It’s going to be glorious, I can feel it in my bones.

There have been a couple repeated refrains I’ve heard from others that I think are based on some possible misunderstanding.

Mark Pope made some remarks at his introductory presser about how BYU was number 2 in some 3-point metric. He then said something about how at UK we don’t settle for second place. This, understandably, led many to believe he was saying he was aiming for UK to be number 1 in that metric. But if you listen to the next thing he said (sorry, I’m just going by recollection) it makes it more clear that he was using these examples from his BYU team to make general statements about expectations at UK. So, I think he meant that UK likes to be number 1 in general, not necessarily at that particular 3-point metric, and I think the wording was just a little clunky and confusing.

There was a Lexington channel that had an interview with Pope a couple days after his presser and during the interview he said something to the effect of, being at UK he would be able to try some different things offensively than what he did at BYU.

So, I think anyone who believes that Pope is trying to play the same style he played at BYU and that he’s just missing on shooters is at least partially mistaken. I think he is adapting to the SEC and has a different plan for this team. I’m sure it will include some shooters, but it’s clearly defense/passing-focused first and foremost.
Agree completely. I can't wait for the season to start already.

I’ve made similar posts in various threads trying to dispel the notions some people seem to have. Pope plays a modern offense, but the number of threes they shot last year was extreme in comparison to any of his prior teams. I think it shows he adapts to his personnel. And he’s never played at a particularly high pace—not slow, but not whiplash fast. I think people conflate the threes from last season with a fast pace and that isn’t the case.

From my research, what he does consistently do, and what I think we can expect to continue at UK is: play a lot of players good minutes; mix up defenses; run a lot of sets but not a lot of plays; take advantage of mismatches by forcing switches; and initiate the offense with his big man at the top of the key. I could probably come up with a few more but that’s what I’ve got off the top of my head.

It seems obvious he is taking players that can be lock down defenders. Great defense leads to easy offense. I like the approach. Gone are the days we just put a bunch of offensive minded players on the floor and roll the ball out. I love it!

Now that Pope has so much more talent available to him, I think he’s trying to recreate the 96’ Cats type of team.

He’s bringing in defensive superstars from all over and try to mix them in with 3 point shooters. He’s going to play Rick Pitino in his prime type of basketball because he knows how to play and coach that type of basketball.

I highly doubt we press.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

I know the dude is a lot smarter and knows more about basketball than any of the posters on this sub and the entirety of KSR so I’m gonna and just wait until 2025 before I make any more assumptions on mark pope.

Reactions: kennyskywalker34
I think Pope will play how his personal dictates he should play whether that be pressing , zoning , or man to man. On offense they will run all kinds of different plays we aren’t used to seeing. We will just be so much more organized. He and the coaching staff will watch so much film. They will be so well prepared come every game. Other teams will have that fear of coming back into Rupp and playing the UK Wildcats!!!

I am just happy that we have a coach who will actually run an offense period.

You may very well be right based on the roster he’s building, but if so, it’s a risky pivot that I’m not sure I’m completely sold on. His BYU teams were actually pretty good considering how hard it is for them to get top talent, so I don’t really see why that style just with the athletes available to Kentucky wouldn’t have been a good starting point instead of immediately trying to morph into a Houston/Tennessee bully ball team.

I’m willing to see how it works before declaring Pope a failure, but you can’t really fault some fans for being confused that he seems to be trying to reinvent himself a bit before ever coaching a game in the style we were sold on after he was hired.

It’s going to be glorious, I can feel it in my

You may very well be right based on the roster he’s building, but if so, it’s a risky pivot that I’m not sure I’m completely sold on. His BYU teams were actually pretty good considering how hard it is for them to get top talent, so I don’t really see why that style just with the athletes available to Kentucky wouldn’t have been a good starting point instead of immediately trying to morph into a Houston/Tennessee bully ball team.

I’m willing to see how it works before declaring Pope a failure, but you can’t really fault some fans for being confused that he seems to be trying to reinvent himself a bit before ever coaching a game in the style we were sold on after he was hired.
My guess is that Pope ran this style of offense because it gave his group a better chance - but it was still a risky style. People love to talk about the great teams they beat, but they also lost to teams like Oklahoma St. (117 kenpom) and Duquesne (88). It was a sort of “live by the three, die by the three” style of play and I think he believes he can do better at UK.

Pope prefers to shoot 3's in transition before the defense gets setup. If I'm not mistaken he mentioned the analytics and a higher percentage yield.

My guess is that Pope ran this style of offense because it gave his group a better chance - but it was still a risky style. People love to talk about the great teams they beat, but they also lost to teams like Oklahoma St. (117 kenpom) and Duquesne (88). It was a sort of “live by the three, die by the three” style of play and I think he believes he can do better at UK.
Exactly. Hence the NCAA tournament game. It's an effective weapon but he'll have more options coaching at UK.

I want to party watch UK bball with you 420

Getting excited

Live by the 3. Die by the 3. Just ask the 2009 team. On the other hand, defense rarely takes a night off.

Some think that because you have more talent athletically that gives you a better chance to win. Just look at all the talent Cal had that didn’t meet expectations. Sure, they were successful especially early on, but talent only gets you so far.

Winning with defense is arguably less risky.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I agree. The way this team is being built makes no sense if you are running the same stuff BYU did last year. It's the coaches job to make the system work for the personnel you have that will be a welcome change. Maybe we are just taking who we can get and I'm totally wrong.

Any good coach will play to his strengths but I really expect him to play a lot like the Pitino teams but according to the pieces in play. Pitino changed the same way and for the same reasons. He's a really good coach that will play a style the kids want to play in. Not sure how the first year will go but I'm optimistic about it, overall.

There is nothing wrong with being innovative.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA

MaN I hope so. Press, press, and more press make offense out of defense.

23-24: 50% of BYU’s shot attempts = threes
22-23: 40%
21-22: 37%
20-21: 40%
19-20: 41%

Safe to say he’s still going to have an offense that likes to shoot from deep.

For comparison sake, this was us:

23-24: 37%
22-23: 30%
21-22: 28%
20-21: 32%
19-20: 26%

That would be like a dream for me and I hope so, but I don’t really think that will happen. I think his philosophy is a little bit different

Yeah I just don't think Pope is going to be THAT tied into the same strategy and style he had at BYU. I think any great coach will see that UK will afford him the ability to recruit any type of player (hopefully), and that he won't be locked into relying on a 3pt barrage from lesser ranked guys.

If all goes well this year and next, Pope will be able to get athletic guards, speedy wings, and nba sized centers. He won't be pigeon-holed into a certain style of play.

That’s hard to do, Mike Anderson tried the same thing here. Players are a lot better handling the press because that’s all these AAU teams do, so I think it’s much harder to do the way both our programs used to. The breakdowns when the press gets broken outweigh the turnovers you create. Also you have to be super deep to even attempt it. Also the way the game is officiated makes it dang near impossible because SEC refs are so erratic with the whistles and want to insert themselves so much in the game your guards will have 3 fouls before the first TV timeout. That said it sure would be awesome because wasn’t that a beautiful brand of basketball to watch? We miss it too…

That’s hard to do, Mike Anderson tried the same thing here. Players are a lot better handling the press because that’s all these AAU teams do, so I think it’s much harder to do the way both our programs used to. The breakdowns when the press gets broken outweigh the turnovers you create. Also you have to be super deep to even attempt it. Also the way the game is officiated makes it dang near impossible because SEC refs are so erratic with the whistles and want to insert themselves so much in the game your guards will have 3 fouls before the first TV timeout. That said it sure would be awesome because wasn’t that a beautiful brand of basketball to watch? We miss it too…
Pretty much all of this. Some of you are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Pope is going to bring back the 90s. He may be successful in his own way, and I hope he is, but it won’t look the same. The game has changed in the 30 years since Pitino and Richardson were winning championships by full court pressing from the opening tip. Big men have become more adept at handling the ball, 3-4 guard lineups have been more common, officiating has tightened up a bit, etc. Even Pitino himself doesn’t play that way any more, and hasn’t for years.

Reactions: JAPierce_2
People can say whatever they want, but he absolutely prefers shooting 3s. He said it and, more importantly, showed it in his career. It's an attempt to rationalize our commits.

I spoke my peace but let's see where we are by Tuesday. Then I'll revisit my critiques.

Reactions: NuttinButtLove

he also told Perry to get that shoulder ready, because he is going to take ALOT of shots. I feel like Pope's team will still take the most 3pt shots in the SEC, and they will come off of a high paced passing offense that leads to open shots. Pope doesn't need guys who shot 40% last season, his offense creates open looks, it brings percentages up.

Pope has always used a 5 out or 4 out offense with a ton of zoom action. He did some innovative things out of the zoom and I expect him to do the same at UK. I expect to see a ton of off the ball movement and cutting/screening, but that doesn’t mean we have to shoot half of our attempts from 3. We just need a couple capable guys who can keep the floor spaced.

I can’t say I’ve been this excited for a Kentucky basketball season to start since 2015-16. We have a guy that actually knows how to run effective offenses and defenses. We also have a guy who shows great gratitude towards his position and will do whatever it takes to get #9 as soon as possible.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT