ADVERTISEMENT

Some UNC Ribeye for you....

Classes? What classes? Has to be actual students and teacher there to be a CLASS.

You mean a secretary doesn't have the authority to offer classes, make assignments, grade papers, and assign the final grade?

BTW, I just love the quote in the Bethel movie in which the completely clueless idiot said that athletes got more from their paper classes than sitting in a math class or history class![roll]Seriously, how stupid of a quote and how supid of Bethel to leave it in. I actually copied it and sent to my former college roommate who teaches at UNC. He was a bit miffed!

“Some of the topics these kids had to write about, they got more out of that than sitting in a math class or sitting in a history class,” Bridger said in the film.

Read more:http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...nges-unc-academic-athletic-scandal-narratives
Quoted from The Daily Tar Heel

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
“Some of the topics these kids had to write about, they got more out of that than sitting in a math class or sitting in a history class,” Bridger said in the film.

Yes, very enriching indeed....

Last edited:
Yes, very enriching indeed....

It is also interesting considering that around half of the major sport athletes had learning disabilities. (I forget the actual number but it was high). Neither Bethel or Bridger have a basic understanding of why a college/university has lecture style classes and must think that we need to throw out traditional education in favor of all paper classes.

I even showed the quote to a Chinese professor I met on my current trip, who teaches English at a Chinese uiversity. When I told her that UNC offered paper classes for basic Swahili, the look on her face was priceless. Beth and Bradley keep making my day with their complete lack of common sense and understanding of education.

Reactions: awf
Martin, I dunno if your question was to me but I just noticed it. It may have been rhetorical. If you want info on SACS placing NC on probation, there is a plethora of info out there. Probably the most concise is here:

http://www.sacscoc.org/2015JuneActionsanddisclosurestatements/UNC Chapel Hill CDC.pdf
It was rhetorical. UNC was providing fake classes and there are other sundry charges. I was going to follow up that UNC enrolled a disproportionate number of athletes in those fake classes based on the Wainstein report. The Wainstein report provided by UNC.

Then state the McCants' litigation facing the NCAA has the NCAA pinned. The NCAA states they are not responsible for academics. McCants' lawsuit says they are. The NCAA uses impermissible benefits instead of fraud to avoid the question due to the lawsuit.

Cooper, I mean Bobby, should just give it up. I do appreciate him coming over and making sure the conversation continues though.

Of course, we know they cheated. The NCAA knows they cheated. Behind their façade they know they cheated. We know the NCAA has problems dealing out punishment to UNC. Would anyone on this board be surprised UNC got off with nothing but a warning or something just as meaningless? No. Would we be stunned if they got hammered? Yes.

But this has to just burn:

Page 48-49 of the NCAA's Notice of Allegations sent to UNC***.

Specifically, individuals in the academic administration on campus, particularly in the college of arts and sciences, did not sufficiently monitor the AFRI/AFAM and ASPSA departments or provide appropriate supervision for these academic units and their staffs. The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

Last edited:
It was rhetorical. UNC was providing fake classes and other sundry charges. I was going to follow up that UNC enrolled a disproportionate numbers of athletes in those fake classes based on the Wainstein report. The Wainstein report provided by UNC.

Then state the McCants' litigation facing the NCAA has the NCAA pinned. The NCAA states they are not responsible for academics. McCants' lawsuit says they are. The NCAA uses impermissible benefits instead of fraud to avoid the question due to the lawsuit.

Cooper, I mean Bobby, should just give it up. I do appreciate him coming over and making sure the conversation continues though.

Of course, we know they cheated. The NCAA knows they cheated. Behind their façade they know they cheated. We know the NCAA has problems dealing out punishment to UNC. Would anyone on this board be surprised UNC got off with nothing but a warning or something just as meaningless? No. Would we be stunned if they got hammered? Yes.

But this has to just burn:

Page 48-49 of the NCAA's Notice of Allegations sent to UNC***.

Specifically, individuals in the academic administration on campus, particularly in the college of arts and sciences, did not sufficiently monitor the AFRI/AFAM and ASPSA departments or provide appropriate supervision for these academic units and their staffs. The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

Good post.

I agree, Bobby has been useful.

Good post.

I agree, Bobby has been useful.

Bobby/Bradley has also been entertaining. The academic counselors thought that Crowder was a TA, didn't know the classes were fake and felt that putting players in no show classes was a better educational experience! [roll]I sure hope I meet Beth Bridger some day. I want to see if she really is that dense!

If someone in a position of influence is making that statement, I have to wonder just what that means.

Do they have inside information from the NCAA? If so, those guys are corrupt beyond measure.

Do they believe what they are saying and just incredibly stupid?

Do they know different but are saying such things anyway? If this, then are they criminally liable for fraudulent and misleading statements?

Are they just dumbasses?

If someone in a position of influence is making that statement, I have to wonder just what that means.

Do they have inside information from the NCAA? If so, those guys are corrupt beyond measure.

Do they know different but are saying such things anyway? If this, then are they criminally liable for fraudulent and misleading statements?

Are they just dumbasses?
I'll tell you exactly what they're doing: they're straight up lying to young prospects. It's absolutely disgusting. There is absolutely no way Larry Fedora and Roy Williams know exactly what the NCAA is going to do.

I'll tell you exactly what they're doing: they're straight up lying to young prospects. It's absolutely disgusting. There is absolutely no way Larry Fedora and Roy Williams know exactly what the NCAA is going to do.
From what I understand they tell recruits that their lawyers are telling them nothing is going to happen. Later they can say that they were just listening to their lawyers if the NCAA hammers them. [laughing] [poop]

UNC has cheated their athletes out of an education for more than a generation,merely lying to them now is a step up the way they see it.

Are they just dumbasses?
It's called doubling down. They're all in at this point so they have nothing to lose.

What is scary is that there is NOBODY there to right this ship. No voice of decency to call out from within. It literally is a cult. UNC has to have somebody outside that mess blow it up so they can start over from scratch. Like Conan cutting James Earl Jones' head off at the end of the first Conan movie. Then all the disciples threw their torches down and walked away. Somebody, somewhere outside that mess has to destroy them utterly or it will not ever change.

It's called doubling down. They're all in at this point so they have nothing to lose.

What is scary is that there is NOBODY there to right this ship. No voice of decency to call out from within. It literally is a cult. UNC has to have somebody outside that mess blow it up so they can start over from scratch. Like Conan cutting James Earl Jones' head off at the end of the first Conan movie. Then all the disciples threw their torches down and walked away. Somebody, somewhere outside that mess has to destroy them utterly or it will not ever change.

Good points. I think this is a unique event though. If the NCAA steps on them, hard, they regain a large measure of credibility. If NC skates, then the conditions are right for fundamental change in the NCAA. NC is thoroughly unworthy of competition. If they are permitted to continue, its like the gambling scandals that wracked baseball decades ago, except worse.

I agree with you, however. The sports institution currently operating at NC cannot be salvaged. No greater corruption has ever existed in college sports. It must be blown up and recreated. If I were the NCAA, this next season, their lifetime won-loss record would be 0 - 0.

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
Emmert getting a contract extension was beyond comprehension. And the member institutions voted for that, right? How on earth could they possibly do that? I don't get it.

Emmert getting a contract extension was beyond comprehension. And the member institutions voted for that, right? How on earth could they possibly do that? I don't get it.
Somebody has to captain that sinking ship and he keeps the dollars rolling in.

Good points. I think this is a unique event though. If the NCAA steps on them, hard, they regain a large measure of credibility. If NC skates, then the conditions are right for fundamental change in the NCAA. NC is thoroughly unworthy of competition. If they are permitted to continue, its like the gambling scandals that wracked baseball decades ago, except worse.

I agree with you, however. The sports institution currently operating at NC cannot be salvaged. No greater corruption has ever existed in college sports. It must be blown up and recreated. If I were the NCAA, this next season, their lifetime won-loss record would be 0 - 0.

Kbf, it does seem that simple to me! NCAA better act or end! However, it's the logical and simplicity of it all that gives me little faith the right result will occur. One can only hope unc gets what it deserves

Kbf, it does seem that simple to me! NCAA better act or end! However, it's the logical and simplicity of it all that gives me little faith the right result will occur. One can only hope unc gets what it deserves

The Emmert contract extension was not a positive sign, in my opinion.

The right result won't occur,maybe no result will occur until and unless the media in some form puts pressure on the NCAA or UNC by making a front page story out of this.

All of these young athletes were cheated out of and education and handed a worthless piece of paper that said they had a degree in a non-existent course of study .UNC used these kids for financial gain and national exposure in the field of college athletics.Where is the outrage that the moral and ethical bastions of news reporting should be shouting from the rooftops of every member institution of the NCAA?

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...nst_north_carolina_is_going_to_be_a_joke.html

Rep. John Katko, R-Camillus, met Wednesday with the Syracuse Media Group editorial board. After holding forth on topics such as homeland security, ISIS, the highway bill, Congress's performance, the presidential campaign and economic development in Syracuse, Katko had time for one more question.

It was about the status of National Collegiate Athletics Accountability Act, a bipartisan bill co-sponsored by Katko and others. The legislation would require more transparency and due process reforms for athletes and schools that are accused of breaking NCAA rules. It also would create a presidential commission to examine the intersection of college sports with money, academics and the health and safety of student-athletes.

Katko offered some insight into the NCAA probe of academic fraud at the University of North Carolina. Syracuse University basketball fans, you're not going to like what you're about to read:

Q: What's the status of the NCAA accountability bill?

Katko: We're kind of waiting to see what happened with North Carolina, and it sounds like it's going to be a joke. North Carolina had academic fraud going back 15 years, they had phantom classes for athletes, and they're trying to say, from what I understand preliminarily from the NCAA, is that they may not think the athletic department is accountable for that.

Q: When Syracuse University head basketball coach Jim Boeheim was held responsible for ...

Katko: No (bleep). I mean, it's ridiculous. I think that the NCAA is a joke.

The bill is actually a good bill because we have a hook through our federal funding for universities to take a look at it. There really should be a commission formed to take a look at the entire ball of wax. We're kind of waiting on what happens in North Carolina before we move forward.

Q: Is there bipartisan sponsorship?

Yeah. Some people view it as a "third rail'' type of thing, but I think that's something that should be looked at, because I think college sports are out of control, absolutely out of control, and there should be a lot of reforms to it. ...

I think the (NCAA's) corruption is profound. I mean, when you have children beingraped on campus at Penn State, and the sanctions get all basically peeled back, and Joe Paterno doesn't lose any of his victories, they're all reinstated, and then they pound Boeheim and take away a hundred of his victories [actually, 101], give me a break. It's so uneven. It's ridiculous.

And if you look at what happened at Miami -- because they botched the investigation, nothing happened. That guy (University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro) was paying for abortions for girlfriends, he was taking them out with strippers, he was taking them out to pro basketball games, he was taking them on cruises, and that guy in Miami gets nothing? Really? It's a joke.

And then North Carolina, I think, perhaps is the worst one of all, because they had phantom schools, for 15 years, phantom classes! And they're going to get less of a sanction than SU? Are you kidding me? It's ridiculous. So, something should be done.

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...nst_north_carolina_is_going_to_be_a_joke.html

Rep. John Katko, R-Camillus, met Wednesday with the Syracuse Media Group editorial board. After holding forth on topics such as homeland security, ISIS, the highway bill, Congress's performance, the presidential campaign and economic development in Syracuse, Katko had time for one more question.

It was about the status of National Collegiate Athletics Accountability Act, a bipartisan bill co-sponsored by Katko and others. The legislation would require more transparency and due process reforms for athletes and schools that are accused of breaking NCAA rules. It also would create a presidential commission to examine the intersection of college sports with money, academics and the health and safety of student-athletes.

Katko offered some insight into the NCAA probe of academic fraud at the University of North Carolina. Syracuse University basketball fans, you're not going to like what you're about to read:

Q: What's the status of the NCAA accountability bill?

Katko: We're kind of waiting to see what happened with North Carolina, and it sounds like it's going to be a joke. North Carolina had academic fraud going back 15 years, they had phantom classes for athletes, and they're trying to say, from what I understand preliminarily from the NCAA, is that they may not think the athletic department is accountable for that.

Q: When Syracuse University head basketball coach Jim Boeheim was held responsible for ...

Katko: No (bleep). I mean, it's ridiculous. I think that the NCAA is a joke.

The bill is actually a good bill because we have a hook through our federal funding for universities to take a look at it. There really should be a commission formed to take a look at the entire ball of wax. We're kind of waiting on what happens in North Carolina before we move forward.

Q: Is there bipartisan sponsorship?

Yeah. Some people view it as a "third rail'' type of thing, but I think that's something that should be looked at, because I think college sports are out of control, absolutely out of control, and there should be a lot of reforms to it. ...

I think the (NCAA's) corruption is profound. I mean, when you have children beingraped on campus at Penn State, and the sanctions get all basically peeled back, and Joe Paterno doesn't lose any of his victories, they're all reinstated, and then they pound Boeheim and take away a hundred of his victories [actually, 101], give me a break. It's so uneven. It's ridiculous.

And if you look at what happened at Miami -- because they botched the investigation, nothing happened. That guy (University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro) was paying for abortions for girlfriends, he was taking them out with strippers, he was taking them out to pro basketball games, he was taking them on cruises, and that guy in Miami gets nothing? Really? It's a joke.

And then North Carolina, I think, perhaps is the worst one of all, because they had phantom schools, for 15 years, phantom classes! And they're going to get less of a sanction than SU? Are you kidding me? It's ridiculous. So, something should be done.
Everyone should write their congressman to ask them where they stand on this bill. Congressmen's web sites typically have a n email form. It may do no good but what the heck it only takes 5 minutes.

Everyone should write their congressman to ask them where they stand on this bill. Congressmen's web sites typically have a n email form. It may do no good but what the heck it only takes 5 minutes.
100% agree. I'm glad that Rep. Katko is disgusted by all of this.

100% agree. I'm glad that Rep. Katko is disgusted by all of this.
So you agree with Rep Katko that easy classes for EVERY student at UNC is worse than abortion & innocent children being molested?
I love how you ran over here with this article a few minutes after I posted it on the UNC board.

So you agree with Rep Katko that easy classes for EVERY student at UNC is worse than abortion & innocent children being molested?
You got that from me saying I'm glad he's rightfully disgusted by this?
I love how you ran over here with this article a few minutes after I posted it on the UNC board.
Thanks for the material, little fella. It's on the national board too. Got any more links?[smoke]

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT