ADVERTISEMENT

Some Coach Rupp Stats For UK “Fans” Trying To Diminish His Record

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
1. Went 12-4 in 9 NIT and NCAAT Final 4s

2. With a national top 2 team chose to play in the 1946 and 1947 NIT rather than the NCAAT, costing UK 1-2 more titles.

3. Through no fault of his, the scandals cost him 2 titles (1952, 1954)

4. Rupp went 33-7 versus the greatest coaches of his era/all time:
Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

5. Rupp was 27-7 versus the ACC
6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

It is beyond absurd that one would have to defend coach Rupp on a UK site. By any definition, he is a top three coach ever.

2. With a national top 2 team chose to play in the 1946 and 1947 NIT rather than the NCAAT, costing UK 1-2 more titles.

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

It is beyond absurd that one would have to defend coach Rupp on a UK site. By any definition, he is a top three coach ever.
Amazing how far some posters will go to make Cal appear in a better light. If Cal is so great, why does he need defended? Some would throw their own grandma under the bus to make Cal look better.

I agree with your basic premise, you shouldn't have to defend Rupp on a UK site (although....I could say the same about any UK coach, at least any that are good enough to be in the Hall of Fame). But I have to quibble with your #3. We can't very well hold Dean Smith and Roy Williams accountable for shenanigans at UNC (to pick only the easiest example), but say Rupp has no accountability for scandals occurring on his watch at UK.

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

Who cares. 60 years ago. Flathanders ruled the game. Sure he was great for his time but it's of very little importance in today's game

I agree with your basic premise, you shouldn't have to defend Rupp on a UK site (although....I could say the same about any UK coach, at least any that are good enough to be in the Hall of Fame). But I have to quibble with your #3. We can't very well hold Dean Smith and Roy Williams accountable for shenanigans at UNC (to pick only the easiest example), but say Rupp has no accountability for scandals occurring on his watch at UK.
Do you feel the same way about Cal and the scandals at UMASS and Memphis?
Is Cal accountable for those, also?

Do you feel the same way about Cal and the scandals at UMASS and Memphis?
Is Cal accountable for those, also?
Sure. The head coach is the man in charge and ultimately responsible for his program. So any time there is a scandal, the head coach is accountable. Now, it should go without saying that all scandals aren't created equal - so not all coaches who have lived through scandals are equally culpable. But they own the scandals.

Sure. The head coach is the man in charge and ultimately responsible for his program. So any time there is a scandal, the head coach is accountable. Now, it should go without saying that all scandals aren't created equal - so not all coaches who have lived through scandals are equally culpable. But they own the scandals.
If you are not familiar with the point shaving scandal that occurred under Rupp's tenure, I would suggest you read up on it.

No way Rupp could have been held accountable for that.

If you are not familiar with the point shaving scandal that occurred under Rupp's tenure, I would suggest you read up on it.

No way Rupp could have been held accountable for that.
Oh, I'm familiar - "they couldn't touch my boys with a 10 foot pole." I agree that it would be hard for Rupp to keep track of his kids when mobsters are offering money to win by a little less. But like I said, I think a coach is responsible for what happens in his program. Derrick Rose took the SAT while still in high school, before he committed to Memphis (I think?), and then the NCAA (according to Vitale) told Memphis not once, not twice, but three times the kid was eligible. Only to rule after the season was over that he was not eligible. Hard to blame Calipari for that (although people typically do).

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

No one is trying to diminish Rupps record. Most are just pointing out that Cal's record is not that much different. It was much easier to win a title when Rupp coached. Only the league champion in each conference got to go to the NCAA tournament and UK was about the only SEC team that really cared about basketball. If that rule was still in place Houston and UCLA would not have been in the tournament much less went to the final four. Today is much different than when Rupp coached and there is no fair way to compare records.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
The mob fixing games in CBB was rampant for years in those days. It was simply too hard for coaches to police that. Kids could go away from their coach and be approached by a mob affiliate and the rest is history.

roy and dean smith led the way for the cheaters. They knew and were right in the thick of it. UK paid a heavy price for what happened while UNC skated. Again another apples and oranges comparison. If that scandal didn’t happen we have an undefeated ncaa champ and 2 more titles at least.

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

We all know why they’re trying to diminish lol. It’s dumb and cringe.

Who cares. 60 years ago. Flathanders ruled the game. Sure he was great for his time but it's of very little importance in today's game
Great for his time, exactly, how else can he be measured. Cal doesn't have that kind of success in "his time" so how do you go on to defend that? Rupp was a great, great coach, get over it. Why must we defend one of the all time greats who happened to be a UK coach. Makes no sense to me.

The mob fixing games in CBB was rampant for years in those days. It was simply too hard for coaches to police that. Kids could go away from their coach and be approached by a mob affiliate and the rest is history.

Yeah cheating is still rampant in CBB, always has been. It is really no different than taking money from an agent. There is no way for a coach to stop or know that necessarily.

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

Great stats...appreciate you sharing, especially the vs. other coaches.

Who is bashing Rupp though?

You could say that when Rupp found out he cut the players off from Kentucky. Rupp finally met with Beard on his death bed.

Ray Meyer 17-3
Frank McGuire 8-2
John Wooden 3-0
Hank Iba 2-1
Phog Allen 1-0
Claire Bee 2-1

6-2 vs The now PAC-12
45-23 vs the BIG 10

Wonder how many coaches are undefeated versus Wooden and the Phog?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
roy and dean smith led the way for the cheaters. They knew and were right in the thick of it. UK paid a heavy price for what happened while UNC skated. Again another apples and oranges comparison. If that scandal didn’t happen we have an undefeated ncaa champ and 2 more titles at least.
When would we have had an undefeated champ?

@BBBLazing was the poster that said that Pitino and Cal were better coaches than Rupp. What a joke. 🤣
I could have explained my ratings a bit more artfully perhaps, but my point was that I have watched UK basketball since the late 40s and I believe that the Pitino era and Cal era have had more success in the time they have been there, on average. Obviously, Rupp won more games and more titles, but on average, Pitino and Cal have been to more final fours and have comparable numbers on titles. I realize coach Rupp's accomplishments and also realize that the game and parity is totally different than it was then. Obviously Rupp is an icon, but he had plenty of lulls as far as national championship type success, which is what people are complaining about with Cal. I still think that if we had any team and I had to pick one of our former coaches to coach one game, I would pick Pitino. My whole contention was not to criticize Rupp, it was just to point out that he had plenty of years less than national championship level, and if this site existed back then people would have called for his head like they are Cal's.

God forbid I ask people that never saw Rupp coach consider comparing his record to the current coach's record before asking for Cal to be fired.

From 1945 to 1958 Rupp dominated the nation in a similar manner to Saban currently at Alabama.

Folks like to say Rupp tailed off at the end. From 1964 to 1972 Rupp had 2 Final AP #1 teams, 7 SEC champs, 1 national runners-up, 6 top 10 teams, and 4 Elite 8s in the most brutal bracket yearly.

GREAT, GREAT coach

Great for his time, exactly, how else can he be measured. Cal doesn't have that kind of success in "his time" so how do you go on to defend that? Rupp was a great, great coach, get over it. Why must we defend one of the all time greats who happened to be a UK coach. Makes no sense to me.
I' don't defend cal
I just point out facts about UK since cal has been here

Incredible lack of intellignece in that post.....not surprising at all though considering who posted it
The difference in today's game and 1950 is like baseball to basketball. Yes he was a great coach for his era. 60-70 years is a long time. Centers were 6-6 and pg dribbled with flat hand on top of ball. It's not an opinion it's facts

The difference in today's game and 1950 is like baseball to basketball. Yes he was a great coach for his era. 60-70 years is a long time. Centers were 6-6 and pg dribbled with flat hand on top of ball. It's not an opinion it's facts
Your opinion is not fact. Ever.

Look up the roster for the '50 team for Rupp. Bill Spivery was a 7 footer. You may or may not know that UK basketball didn't start in 2009.

Everything I said is true
Great for his time
Means nothing today
Well, I’m only one year older, 39. Our posting rhetoric is vastly different. I’m not sure why that is.

I can appreciate history in all forms. Doesn’t matter when it happened, it happened. It does mean something today. They named our arena “Rupp Arena” for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT