ADVERTISEMENT

Some additional video breakdown of Pope's offense

I wonder how many moving screens we’ll have called against us by SEC refs. This offense has a LOT of screening action. I sure hope Cal being gone improves the refereeing, but I’m afraid we will still be treated poorly.

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
Im excited to see that it wont be a bunch of wana be nba guards just jacking up threes
And refusing to defend or pass for better shot and team!!! Not mentioning names but there were a few that didn't pass like they should have last year. Really excited about the team first instead of the me first way

I wonder how many moving screens we’ll have called against us by SEC refs. This offense has a LOT of screening action. I sure hope Cal being gone improves the refereeing, but I’m afraid we will still be treated poorly.
Pope is affable, self effacing, and genuinely nice so I think in time he can get us down to Tubby levels of screwings which was a good bit better than the overall norm.

Pope is affable, self effacing, and genuinely nice so I think in time he can get us down to Tubby levels of screwings which was a good bit better than the overall norm.
Lord yes, I have been screaming this for years as I watch us get undoubtedly hammered by three extra players for every team. It was no secret or hard to tell the refs absolutely despised cow and United against him.
I'm an old school fan I remember Pope and the 96 squad eating souls like bowls of Cheerios, hence my coming on this board out of excitement at his hire now. Finally, someone that gets what the name on the front means!

Reactions: EliteBlue
How’s that work against a zone though?
Lots of 3,s but most teams think like Cal. Man to man or bust.
Lord yes, I have been screaming this for years as I watch us get undoubtedly hammered by three extra players for every team. It was no secret or hard to tell the refs absolutely despised cow and United against him.
I'm an old school fan I remember Pope and the 96 squad eating souls like bowls of Cheerios, hence my coming on this board out of excitement at his hire now. Finally, someone that gets what the name on the front means!
In 1996 teams that played UK gauged success by the number of times they were able to get the ball past mid court without getting it stolen. The 96 games against Tim Duncan was and is the greatest defensive effort I have ever seen on any basketball court, period.

Lots of 3,s but most teams think like Cal. Man to man or bust.

In 1996 teams that played UK gauged success by the number of times they were able to get the ball past mid court without getting it stolen. The 96 games against Tim Duncan was and is the greatest defensive effort I have ever seen on any basketball court, period.
I just can't argue that because I watched it too!!! The 78 team is my very favorite because of my pure hatred toward Duke, but come on it's hard to take anyone seriously that argues against that 96 squad and the defense they played.
You know coach remembers all those sets both in his mind and muscles and that's something to be pretty excited about

I'm probably an idiot but it reminds me of football. The center is the QB, forwards are running backs and guards are receivers. Each play is basically a 4 wide out RPO with screens also being ran. QB (center) decides whether to pass, handoff or shoot.

That zone did nothing. Of our shooters shoot anywhere near their season average, we win going away. They tightened up. Our 52% star was 1 for 6.
We never really shot much from outside. That was the problem. Cal and Mitchell had it in their minds to prove the Oakland coach wrong and kept trying to go inside.

A team can't hit threes if you don't attempt threes.

I sure hope so. I just don't want Phat Adams or Joe Lindsay to forget that it's not Kentucky or its fans, it was Calipari.

Of course, it WAS Kentucky fans who threatened Higgins, so they may continue to punish us due to their fraternity-like "brotherhood".

That is more off the ball movement in those few clips than UK ran an entire season under Cal.
And the funny thing is, BYU shot more than 50% of their field goals from the perimeter. So those clips are only half of what they do with that 5-out offense.

I think I'll spend some time in the coming offseason weeks researching videos on how to defend a 5-out offense so as to prepare my mind for what kinds of defenses we'll see come November...

Z got some seriously bad advice. He'd flourish in that offense.

For those saying Khalifa is a must, pump the brakes. The spacing, reading, and cuts make the passer. Not the other way around. There are a lot of guys that can make those passes that can give you more than that guy can. He's fine for 5-10 mins/game, but if you've got to play him more than that you're in trouble. He's an extreme liability on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT