ADVERTISEMENT

So...WR room seems like it's gonna be talented

You know what's unexcusable ? The 20 + Drops Key had this Season. That's on him, no one else. Same goes for Brown.
You guys are blowhards….Key has not dropped 20 balls in two years at UK.

He did have a handful of bad drops early in season…which combined wjtb Barion, Dingle, Browns-Stephens….had the offense a mess

But Key was clean in the last five games ….hes for good hands …..hee never had the dropsies as a rule

I hope so but accuracy and zip on the ball are his flaws as a QB. Y’all are the type to put unrealistic expectations on the kid then trash him later.
His dad who was his HS coach said in an interview that his qualities were accuracy and velocity on the ball. Runs a 4.6.

Every day I keep waiting to see one of our key pieces in the portal. So far we have not lost any of our big fish. Gotta give the staff credit here. I was sure we were losing brown or walker.

Every day I keep waiting to see one of our key pieces in the portal. So far we have not lost any of our big fish. Gotta give the staff credit here. I was sure we were losing brown or walker.
Are you referring specifically to receivers? If so, it appears we have dodged that bullet so far. Our receiver room should be much stronger in 2024. If you are thinking more generally, the big hit so far was the departure of Keaton Wade, who almost certainly would have become a UK defensive starter 2024. That one hurts although I surmise the parents in effect poisoned the relationship.

You guys are blowhards….Key has not dropped 20 balls in two years at UK.

He did have a handful of bad drops early in season…which combined wjtb Barion, Dingle, Browns-Stephens….had the offense a mess

But Key was clean in the last five games ….hes for good hands …..hee never had the dropsies as a rule

Yeah...people use dropped balls as a crutch.

I mean it's like saying so and so NBA player misses shots, or xyz slugger strikes out.

Even if he did drop 20, so what? He averages 15 a pop, keep throwing.

Kind of the 3-ball logic in basketball and the entire game moving to the perimeter and guys who just pull. Overtime, if you're hitting 3s even at a lower percentage than 2s...you're good. You can be 6'2, scrawny, dominate the league and win 4 titles.

Over the course of a game, and season, getting a guy who averages 15 yds a catch more involved will pay off.

Me too. Just reading between the lines from CMS, I believe the WR room is still very much in flux.

Probably a lot of recruiting/negotiating going on for Brown and Key.

Still not convinced they both return for next year.

Me too. Just reading between the lines from CMS, I believe the WR room is still very much in flux.

Probably a lot of recruiting/negotiating going on for Brown and Key.

Still not convinced they both return for next year.
Key is a legacy player. I doubt he leaves. There was nothing indicating he was not getting enough targets or whatever. if anything is going to drive him away, it will be fans acting like his case of the yips for a handful of games signals something chronic. Players in all sports go through slumps. Dane Key can make tough catches, he proved that all through his Freshman year and through the latter part of this year. He will be a major focus on the offense next year.

Here are his freshman year highlights. watch this and tell me he can't make tough catches. The long TD catch against Florida was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 4UK4Life
Key is a legacy player. I doubt he leaves. There was nothing indicating he was not getting enough targets or whatever. if anything is going to drive him away, it will be fans acting like his case of the yips for a handful of games signals something chronic. Players in all sports go through slumps. Dane Key can make tough catches, he proved that all through his Freshman year and through the latter part of this year. He will be a major focus on the offense next year.

Here are his freshman year highlights. watch this and tell me he can't make tough catches. The long TD catch against Florida was a thing of beauty.

Did you respond to the wrong post or did you just imagine I wrote something about Dane Key not being able to make tough catches?

Dane Key had a difficult Soph season. It was pretty obvious he not only got into his own head, but he was getting a lot of "advice" from people outside the program that affected his play on the field.

This came from CMS, not the fans.

In football, you have to be either all in on the team or you need to be all out.
I love DK potential and proud that he is a legacy recruit. But only DK and his family/advisors can decide whether he wants to be at UK going forward. Other than NIL, the fans/ boosters will have little to say about his ultimate decision.

I hope he stays, gets his head right, and plays up to his potential.

Last edited:
My fingers are crossed, but I believe we don't have much NIL but enough gets to our 'stars' to keep them happy. Problem is starters like Justin Rogers think they should also be paid like Deon Walker and we just don't have that budget.

Hope we get McCulley and Maclin. At that point Key and Brown would have no choice but to fly right and catch the ball when thrown. This year there was no threat of the bench bc of Chris Lewis, Chauncey Magwood, and Demarcus Harris leaving.

Reactions: cathouse
Hope we get McCulley and Maclin. At that point Key and Brown would have no choice but to fly right and catch the ball when thrown. This year there was no threat of the bench bc of Chris Lewis, Chauncey Magwood, and Demarcus Harris leaving.

Let's not overlook the fact that Woodward was just fired. The position coach's job is to recruit and develop players. Woodward hurt Key's and BB's development. I don't have to be Randall Cobb to see that. All this makes me respect Wandale even more.

Now that we have Cottrell, I have suggested we need two more receivers from the portal. We know our coaches are targeting McCulley and Maclin. Both were here last weekend. Competition makes everyone better. McCulley is seen as a competitor with Key at "x" and Maclin is seen as a possible successor to TRob (and a competitor with ABS) at "y" (in the slot). Cottrell is competition for BB at "z". Our WR room needs additional SEC caliber athletes, and Cottrell and McCulley present the possibility of additional size and strength on the edges of our offense.

So, getting McCulley and Maclin would be close to ideal. But McCulley and Maclin both have numerous options, and l honestly think signing both would be something close to miraculous while the WR coach position still in transition. As far as it goes, it's great if Stoops can privately tell them who the new WR coach will be. But that isn't the same as having the new WR coaching directly involved in recruiting. But OTOH, McCulley and Maclin aren't the only possibilities. There have been indications that Coen and Stoops may also be talking with Matthew Golden, Abdur-Rahmann Yaseen, Ashton Cozart, and others.

Did I miss an incoming WR transfer besides Cottrell? All year everyone bitched about how bad our receiver room was but now it’s flipped into a strength because we got a receiver who’s probably talented but didn’t play at A&M?

Did I miss an incoming WR transfer besides Cottrell? All year everyone bitched about how bad our receiver room was but now it’s flipped into a strength because we got a receiver who’s probably talented but didn’t play at A&M?
I think the kid can play at the SEC level, he may not be Luther Burden or Devonta Smith good but very few are.. ATM has a talented roster, just because he didn't play doesn't mean he cant play. If that is the case how can so many be excited about Vandergriff who didn't play very much at a much tougher position.

Folks are excited about Cottrell, Porter exiting the portal, the excellent guys we have visiting, and the whole unit getting new coaching

I speak my opinion on a players skillet and call out agenda posters like yourself who make 100% negative posts. There’s plenty of film out there, check it out for yourself and judge before you call it criticism. I didn’t say he sucks or any of the BS you spew to trash the team.

Fake UK fan, you’re the fraud. You’re mad right now that you can’t post negative messages about the basketball team.
lol. Dude you are way overboard. Stop being so emotional.

I think the key is getting a good versatile slot receiver. Coen has proven that he was very good at being creative with Cooper Kupp and Wan’Dale Robinson. Slot guys keep the chains moving.

Reactions: JASUN74
I think the kid can play at the SEC level, he may not be Luther Burden or Devonta Smith good but very few are.. ATM has a talented roster, just because he didn't play doesn't mean he cant play. If that is the case how can so many be excited about Vandergriff who didn't play very much at a much tougher position.
I’m excited about him. I’d bet a lot he can play at the SEC level. But that’s different than assuming he flips the whole room from a liability to a strength by himself.

I think the truth is our returning WRs are not as bad as they were made out to be and adding Cottrell helps.

There is room to play if our returning receivers drop passes like they did this year. I think the fact that Leary struggled to complete easy passes at times added to their propensity to drop. I am hoping another year and another QB next year corrects a lot of that.

Vandagriff isn’t a passer like that.
No one knows for sure, as the body of evidence is limited, but the evidence would indicate a better than average chance of working out well for the Cats. Not sure why you don't think he could be an exceptional QB given his pedigree and performance so far.

Reactions: JASUN74
Maclin from N Texas just committed. Great get
Getting this DUDE along with Cottrell and keeping Porter means our new QB will have MULTIPLE options next season!!! We won't have to keep throwing to the SAME guys even when they have the droppsies or can't get open like this season.

Hopefully the competition will make EVERYONE better!!!

Getting this DUDE along with Cottrell and keeping Porter means our new QB will have MULTIPLE options next season!!! We won't have to keep throwing to the SAME guys even when they have the droppsies or can't get open like this season.

Competition makes better players. Football players don't stay the same. Young players improve and mistakes get corrected over 4 years. The regression is a big part of why Woodward is gone. Our next WR coach will clean up the bad route running and drops. If you think Cottrell and Porter will play ahead of Key and BB, you will be disappointed.

I agree with you about competition....but there were options to not force feed Barion so much last year (i.e. Tayvion was fine at slot, TE room has alot of guys and Key was fine last half of year).

So while I agree competition is a good thing....our staff need not kiss a players but. I get Woodard is gone but I found myself as equally miffed at Coen and even Stoops to a degree to not push more balls to other players. They had the same tape we all did and they were complicit in Barion butt kiss-fest.

Competition makes better players. Football players don't stay the same. Young players improve and mistakes get corrected over 4 years. The regression is a big part of why Woodward is gone. Our next WR coach will clean up the bad route running and drops. If you think Cottrell and Porter will play ahead of Key and BB, you will be disappointed.
Where did I even suggest that "Cottrell and Porter will play ahead of Key and BB"????? Those 2 are our DEFINITE 1st teamers.

I just said that hopefully these additions will make it where we have OTHER OPTIONS if those 2 are struggling. This year we DIDN'T.

I just want some DEPTH and competition. I agree that Woodward was NOT even an adequate WR coach. The route running was as big of a problem as the drops.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I agree with you about competition....but there were options to not force feed Barion so much last year (i.e. Tayvion was fine at slot, TE room has alot of guys and Key was fine last half of year).

So while I agree competition is a good thing....our staff need not kiss a players but. I get Woodard is gone but I found myself as equally miffed at Coen and even Stoops to a degree to not push more balls to other players. They had the same tape we all did and they were complicit in Barion butt kiss-fest.
Oh I agree. BB frustrated me as much as ANY player last season with his effort and lack of results for a kid that was portrayed to be a game-changing WR. And Dane just couldn't play consistently with the drops and he seemed to be pressing it until the latter part of the season.

But I think Coen, by adding these WR's, is sending a message to our current WR group that the free reign is OVER. Or at least I hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT