ADVERTISEMENT

So who is the first player we get out of the portal for next season ?

It better be a gifted experience center or low post player. I think given that Cal is never going to really change that he needs to put together the type of low post team that fits with not doing any zones, pressing on defense, outside shooting in the tourney, inability to keep opposing guards in front defensively, etc.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Or we need more than two or three. And it means MAYBE Cal is not taking any chances on waiting and reacting. He is going to sign who ever we can and let the chips fall where they may.

And all of the negative posters, save the blah blah blah. it is a thread about portal players not a Cal bitchfest. We get it, he sucked the last couple years, it doesn't have to be injected in EVERY thread topic.

I like the idea of adding P5 level dudes, TBH.

Johnson would be a good add, I think.

He needs to get a answer from everyone on current team or make decision for a couple asap
He needs to attack portal -we need a true point guard - a skilled 6’8” big/banger and a tough wing who can play both sides pretty well

Reactions: catben
It's 100% the truth, though.

What's far lamer is all the threads talking about recruits, portal, lineups and coaching changes when NONE OF THAT is the problem and NONE OF IT will fix it.
Y’all get mad when y’all see Kentucky fans talking Kentucky basketball because all fans must join the angry mob. There’s nothing lane about talking UK basketball players for real fans.

I like the idea of adding P5 level dudes, TBH.

Johnson would be a good add, I think.
Hmm. We often agree.
But I just don't see Meechie as a good fit for UK. Ignoring the 3rd school in 3 years thing, which is a concern when he was a focal point for a good USC team (2nd in MPG, 1st in PPG).
But he's not a good shooter. He "is Wagner". Actually worse than Wagner. He's a volume scorer.
His FG% career is 37.1%, last year 39.9%
His 3pt% career is 32.8%, last year 32.1%
No thanks!

Do people have some moaning addiction? Were your antecedents great whiners so you're just keeping up the family tradition? My great grandmother used to say, "You can get used to anything. Even hanging if you hung long enough."

I'm not talking any extraordinary stoicism. Just ordinary dignity. Do you whine all the time around friends and family? Do you not think of anything else? Maybe it's a chemical imbalance. Persistent thoughts do create physical changes. That's what SSRIs are all about.

He needs to get a answer from everyone on current team or make decision for a couple asap
He needs to attack portal -we need a true point guard - a skilled 6’8” big/banger and a tough wing who can play both sides pretty well
Omoruyi inside. That would be my number one priority for a Big.

Oklahoma St. big man Brandon Garrison sounds like a Cal type. He’s a former McD’s AA. He’s listed at 6’11 but I have read he’s closer to 6’8-6’9.

I would like to see us go after Kobe Johnson from USC. Two time PAC-12 All-Defensive Team. We need a shutdown defensive wing. He fits the bill perfectly.

Guard BJ Freeman has been contacted. He’s a great rebounder for a guard, averaging over 6 rebounds a game. He’s got the length as well at 6’6.

I really want to see us get some P5 level guys. Guys who have started at this level and just need a change of scenery and maybe a better NIL deal.

It’s a crap shoot, especially with mid-major guys. Guys like Knecht grab the headlines, but there are 100’s of other guys who transferred up and struggled. Even Reeves struggled some his first season here.

Reactions: UKFAN4L
The best portal transfers this season came from non power 5 programs. Just get some ballers regardless of where they come from.
Knecht and a few others grabbed the headlines. There are 100’s more that bombed at this level. Finding the right one is the key. Not sure I have seen another Knecht in the portal yet.

The portal is only slightly better than recruiting HS kids. Yes, they are more proven and older and physically better equipped, but still you are looking for a Diamond amidst a mountain of coal.

Hope Cal’s staff is working hard at trying to find the very best options.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Do people have some moaning addiction? Were your antecedents great whiners so you're just keeping up the family tradition? My great grandmother used to say, "You can get used to anything. Even hanging if you hung long enough."

I'm not talking any extraordinary stoicism. Just ordinary dignity. Do you whine all the time around friends and family? Do you not think of anything else? Maybe it's a chemical imbalance. Persistent thoughts do create physical changes. That's what SSRIs are all about.
So you come on here to whine about people whining, PRICELESS!!!!

Reactions: bnewt and catben
Not just moaning. Incessant moaning. 4.5 years of incessant moaning.
And it will continue until our $8+ million coach figures out how to turn this program back around to where he brought it those first 8 seasons.

Why would ANY UK fan believe that bringing in the top transfers with a ANOTHER TOP recruiting class will result in a return to Cal’s glory years after what we’ve experienced for the last 4???

In that time we’ve had the National Player of the Year and a consensus All-American as transfers to go with those top recruiting classes and it has gotten UK ONE NCAA Tournament win and ONE SEC Tournament win.

So “whining” and “moaning” should most certainly be expected!!!

Hmm. We often agree.
But I just don't see Meechie as a good fit for UK. Ignoring the 3rd school in 3 years thing, which is a concern when he was a focal point for a good USC team (2nd in MPG, 1st in PPG).
But he's not a good shooter. He "is Wagner". Actually worse than Wagner. He's a volume scorer.
His FG% career is 37.1%, last year 39.9%
His 3pt% career is 32.8%, last year 32.1%
No thanks!
Don't understand reaching out to Meechie but not Tyrin Lawrence(yet).

Omoruyi inside. That would be my number one priority for a Big.

Oklahoma St. big man Brandon Garrison sounds like a Cal type. He’s a former McD’s AA. He’s listed at 6’11 but I have read he’s closer to 6’8-6’9.

I would like to see us go after Kobe Johnson from USC. Two time PAC-12 All-Defensive Team. We need a shutdown defensive wing. He fits the bill perfectly.

Guard BJ Freeman has been contacted. He’s a great rebounder for a guard, averaging over 6 rebounds a game. He’s got the length as well at 6’6.

I really want to see us get some P5 level guys. Guys who have started at this level and just need a change of scenery and maybe a better NIL deal.

It’s a crap shoot, especially with mid-major guys. Guys like Knecht grab the headlines, but there are 100’s of other guys who transferred up and struggled. Even Reeves struggled some his first season here.
Agree with Omoruyi, well that and a knock-dead shooter who can still guard his own shadow.

That 2-3" is a big difference on Garrison! (at least I've been told exaggerating by 2-3" is a big deal (lol)

I do think Cal will put more effort into defense in additions this time. Although supposedly Richmond has that in him.

I like Freeman, also like Mayo. I'm sure there will be others.

You say there have been 100's of other guys who transferred up. Yeah, but not 100's of other POY's or even 1st-team all-conf guys who've transferred up. We've had 2 who were successful. And I wouldn't say Reeves struggled as much as I would say he was streaky, which most 3pt shooters are.

I'll add, unless they are a shot blocking good defending 5/C (or maybe 4/PF), I want guys who can shoot at least 35% (prefer 38% unless they are really good in another area like is a defensive stopper) from 3.

Knecht and a few others grabbed the headlines. There are 100’s more that bombed at this level. Finding the right one is the key. Not sure I have seen another Knecht in the portal yet.

The portal is only slightly better than recruiting HS kids. Yes, they are more proven and older and physically better equipped, but still you are looking for a Diamond amidst a mountain of coal.

Hope Cal’s staff is working hard at trying to find the very best options.
There are not 100's of mid-major players that UK would/should even consider. There are probably 2-3 dozen at most. We are talking Conf POY's, 1st-team All-Conf guys. And even then toss out most of the sub-6'0 guys, guys who can't guard, the 6'7 back-to-basket PFs.

If you are including all mid-major players who moved up to P5, then you must also include all FR who moved into D-1. A lot more failures on that side. Also 95% of the top and middle tier FR are gone. That is why you must now focus on Portal players (in addition to their experience, and that they are closer to men than kids).

The fact meechie Johnson is the only person we reached out to just reinforces my view on what cal looks for in the portal. He looks for guys willing to accept a reduced role and defer to his freshmen. That's it. If someone wants to compete to be the man, or just on even ground - no thanks cal is moving on.

It's ridiculous and it's going to cost us again next season and probably every season he's here while the portal drives everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT