ADVERTISEMENT

So sick of fans dwelling on the past

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
The attitude that we should never expect to be a top notch program because of our dreadful past drives me crazy. What a loser mentality. I’m not saying we can ever be Georgia or Alabama, but just because our history isn’t great, doesn’t mean with our resources (coach pay, facilities, fan support, etc.) we can’t expect better than what we are. And I’m not advocating for firing Stoops, but goodness, stop with the lectures of the 2 win season already. Stoops has done a very good job but needs to get better. Fix the issues that have plagued our program for the last 11 years or stand aside and let somebody else give it a go. Tired of seeing the same mistakes play out every single year.

The attitude that we should never expect to be a top notch program because of our dreadful past drives me crazy. What a loser mentality. I’m not saying we can ever be Georgia or Alabama, but just because our history isn’t great, doesn’t mean with our resources (coach pay, facilities, fan support, etc.) we can’t expect better than what we are. And I’m not advocating for firing Stoops, but goodness, stop with the lectures of the 2 win season already. Stoops has done a very good job but needs to get better. Fix the issues that have plagued our program for the last 11 years or stand aside and let somebody else give it a go. Tired of seeing the same mistakes play out every single year.
Those people are young losers who have no concept what is required to be a championship team in the SEC. The teams that UK plays has a advantage and that is that they have a fan base that hold the entire administration of a University accountable if they don’t win. Does anyone think that Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida, and not forget Oklahoma, Texas AM, and Texas ever talks about their team’s ceilings and would consider Stoops as their coach. UK fans talk about Bowl Games and recruiting but it means nothing in the SEC if it doesn’t translate into titles and championships. Until football has the same expectations as basketball nothing will change.

I suffered through a lot of those 2 & 3 win seasons going back to the very early 80s. Others on this board suffered a lot longer than that. I agree with you completely though, 9mil\yr is too much for what we are being given at this point. Stoops is a top 10 paid head coach in the country. How many top 10 teams has he had? He has raised the level of the program for sure and deserves credit for it.

There is not one other team in the SEC not named Vandy that would keep this product around at this price for more than a few years before moving on. But, there are too many UK fans\supporters that just will never put the same expectations on the football program that they do on the basketball program. NIL adds another dimension to this though. Not sure UK can compete with a lot of the teams in the conference in that regard. But, even if they could, do you trust Stoops to get the most out of elite talent if he had it?

Those people are young losers who have no concept what is required to be a championship team in the SEC. The teams that UK plays has a advantage and that is that they have a fan base that hold the entire administration of a University accountable if they don’t win. Does anyone think that Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida, and not forget Oklahoma, Texas AM, and Texas ever talks about their team’s ceilings and would consider Stoops as their coach. UK fans talk about Bowl Games and recruiting but it means nothing in the SEC if it doesn’t translate into titles and championships. Until football has the same expectations as basketball nothing will change.

The issue is NIL. Not only do those teams you mention have mostly better history than UK, they also have deeper NIL pockets than UK.

People on here can dream all they want but you can't win if there is no regulated salary cap with NIL. UK will not win the SEC or national title in any of our lifetimes due to NIL alone.

There are people who think nothing can ever be achieved unless it's been achieved before. I've never understood that logic. Anything is possible if you put the necessary resources and effort towards achieving it.
In football I remember when Oregon was the Vanderbilt of the PAC10, Washington not much better, now they are national powers. Florida State was like a JUCO before Bowden came there and built that program. Clemson was good but never great prior to Dabo. Stoops as achieved a lot but they lack of discipline and consistent play this season, especially the last two games is troubling.

The issue is NIL. Not only do those teams you mention have mostly better history than UK, they also have deeper NIL pockets than UK.

People on here can dream all they want but you can't win if there is no regulated salary cap with NIL. UK will not win the SEC or national title in any of our lifetimes due to NIL alone.
Does ole miss mizzou South Carolina Mississippi state have deeper pockets?

You all can hope, pray and act like badasses all you want but the fact is that our lack on instate talent will literally always handcuff our program. Georgia produces more 4/5 star talent each year than Kentucky does in decades. If you can’t grasp the significance of that then I don’t know what to tell you.

I suffered through a lot of those 2 & 3 win seasons going back to the very early 80s. Others on this board suffered a lot longer than that. I agree with you completely though, 9mil\yr is too much for what we are being given at this point. Stoops is a top 10 paid head coach in the country. How many top 10 teams has he had? He has raised the level of the program for sure and deserves credit for it.

There is not one other team in the SEC not named Vandy that would keep this product around at this price for more than a few years before moving on. But, there are too many UK fans\supporters that just will never put the same expectations on the football program that they do on the basketball program. NIL adds another dimension to this though. Not sure UK can compete with a lot of the teams in the conference in that regard. But, even if they could, do you trust Stoops to get the most out of elite talent if he had it?
I’ve been a UK football fan for more that 50 years. Many as a season ticket holder. I can honestly say that in those years I don’t believe that I have have been more disappointed at the product on the field than I am right now. In the lean/higher loss years, many of the UK teams would go on the field prepared to play and would be outmanned by the stronger SEC teams. Even though we would lose, the games were exciting. Stoops has built the program to the point it is now with improved talent. But that’s where it stops. The ROI on the $9 mil is currently not there. Quite frankly, with or without Stoops, I’m at a point that I expect better results than what we are currently seeing.

You all can hope, pray and act like badasses all you want but the fact is that our lack on instate talent will literally always handcuff our program. Georgia produces more 4/5 star talent each year than Kentucky does in decades. If you can’t grasp the significance of that then I don’t know what to tell you.
Again, I’m not saying we can get to the Georgia/Alabama level. I’m not even advocating for getting a new coach. I just want a better prepared, more exciting product on the field. Instead we constantly beat ourselves and play not to lose. Something needs to change, but after 11 years, I’m doubtful that they will.

Last edited:
Again, I’m not saying we can get to the Georgia/Alabama level. I’m not even advocating for getting a new coach. I just want a better prepared, more exciting product on the field. Instead we constantly beat ourselves and play not to lose. Something needs to change, but after 11 years, I’m doubtful that they will.
U mean after our most successful 11 year stretch in program history. Obviously things could be a little better but it will take another decade of this level success to reach the “next level.” It takes decades, not years, to build a legit SEC football program. Stoops’ keeps us on that path.

U mean after our most successful 11 year stretch in program history. Obviously things could be a little better but it will take another decade of this level success to reach the “next level.” It takes decades, not years, to build a legit SEC football program. Stoops’ keeps us on that path.
I'm just SICK AND TIRED of losing to opponents because of UNFORCED, STUPID, UNDISCIPLINED ERRORS!!!!!

This has PLAGUED Coach Stoops since his arrival and REALLY hurt us for the past 2 seasons!!

To reach that "Next Level" that EVERY UK fan should want, it's going to take Coach Stoops DEMANDING a MORE disciplined program. UK Football has to play nearly mistake free football to win at a higher level. Being in the top 5 of most penalized teams in all of football is TOTALLY unacceptable!! You add that with leading the country in Dropped passes and the CONSTANT mouthing off and it just MAGNIFIES the discipline problem!!

I agree with the OP that I have NO DESIRE to get rid of Coach Stoops and TRULY appreciate where he has brought UK Football. I just want HIM to FIX IT!!!! Can he???? I sure hope so!!

This UT game is HUGE!!! A win against the Vols and most, if not all, will be forgiven!! Another UNDISCIPLINED performance and loss will be CRUSHING to our program.

We all just want MORE and Coach Stoops is more than CAPABLE to get us there. It's going to take MORE attention to detail.

I'm just SICK AND TIRED of losing to opponents because of UNFORCED, STUPID, UNDISCIPLINED ERRORS!!!!!

This has PLAGUED Coach Stoops since his arrival and REALLY hurt us for the past 2 seasons!!

To reach that "Next Level" that EVERY UK fan should want, it's going to take Coach Stoops DEMANDING a MORE disciplined program. UK Football has to play nearly mistake free football to win at a higher level. Being in the top 5 of most penalized teams in all of football is TOTALLY unacceptable!! You add that with leading the country in Dropped passes and the CONSTANT mouthing off and it just MAGNIFIES the discipline problem!!

I agree with the OP that I have NO DESIRE to get rid of Coach Stoops and TRULY appreciate where he has brought UK Football. I just want HIM to FIX IT!!!! Can he???? I sure hope so!!

This UT game is HUGE!!! A win against the Vols and most, if not all, will be forgiven!! Another UNDISCIPLINED performance and loss will be CRUSHING to our program.

We all just want MORE and Coach Stoops is CAPABLE to get us there. It's going to take MORE attention to detail.
Stoops is more sick and tired of it than anyone here on a messageboard. We are fans, this is his livelihood. Unfortunately SEC football is very competitive and very difficult.

Which is even MORE of a reason for him to FINALLY address the DISCIPLINE problems!!!!

FIX the discipline and THEN ask the fans for MORE NIL!!!
Stoops’ teams have traditionally been well disciplined but I agree that has been trending the wrong direction.

Reactions: jauk11 and catben
Pretty obvious those weren't the teams I'm referencing but ok. You do the research and let us know.
True. But this thread is going the direction Ky was barely above vsndy and what else can you do…but no evidence to be passed backup by mizzou etc due to Nil

orson welles applause GIF

Thank you. It's like assuming that because someone is born into poverty that you will always be poor. Or even worse, using it as a continuous excuse for their failings today. Forget the recruiting rankings and just watch teams like Alabama play. They play disciplined football. Their formations and executions are near flawless. And that has nothing to do with talent but has everything to do with who is coaching them.

If we are going to pay Top 10 pay we should at least expect a top 25 product on the field consistently. Right now we are not that program. We more times than not end up not ranked at the end.

Does ole miss mizzou South Carolina Mississippi state have deeper pockets?
Better positions coaches...Buffalo, Collins and Yenser should be in high school programs...and White is looking like he should join them...

Stoops making bank, should surround himself with the best, not hayseeds without a clue.

I think there is room for criticism and also appreciation for stoops.

To get to the top level of college football what are the suggestions that realistically get Kentucky contending for the playoff every year? Is that what unhappy fans want? What exactly is the ideal season for Kentucky with or without stoops?

$9 million is a lot to look as bad as they have the last two weeks and I hope it turns around. For stoops first 7-8 years it seemed like it was uk vs the world and the players and coaches fed off that. Lately it seems like they feel like they have “made it” or something and that is never the case with any sec program, take any week off and you lose.

Stoops has changed offensive philosophies a lot over the last few years and fans begged for that but the results are mixed. If we didn’t attempt a pass all year probably could be sitting at 6-1 as good as Davis is, but fans would complain also.

Reactions: jauk11
" I just want a better prepared, more exciting product on the field." If this is what you want to see, you're going to need a different coach, IMO. All he seems to be able to do is "talk" about what needs to be done.

Reactions: K86
A lot has changed over the last 11 years. It’s a shame you missed it.

We should have played better. But Missouri is 6-1. They’re a good team. I’ve seen way worse losses than that.

Let's see how they do against tn and uga. They are definitely a better team than UK though and that's kinda sad considering the pre season hype on here.

Let's see how they do against tn and uga. They are definitely a better team than UK though and that's kinda sad considering the pre season hype on here.
You know who else had preseason messageboard hype? Literally every team in America. That’s how sports work. I think every logical UK fan knew 5-2 was very possible 7 games in and it’s not a catastrophic failure as some believe.

Have you ever looked at how many high D1 prospects come from Ky vs. the other states mentioned? Miss.St and Ole Miss have only been marginally better than UK. The big years they have had were largely aided by recruiting in state jucos and cheating.

We should have played better. But Missouri is 6-1. They’re a good team. I’ve seen way worse losses than that.
They have less talent than us minus maybe the QB and 1 receiver. We had them down 14-0 at HOME. Then their coach made adjustments, while we were once again incapable. They beat us by 3 scores. It was an embarrassing loss.

9 million a year is not what you pay a coach at UK that’s never won a title in the SEC.
Who gives a sht what his salary is. All cbb cfb coaches make an ungodly amount. It is what it is when you are a basketball school that has minimal football history and a horrible recruiting footprint, you have to overpay to keep good coaches bc it’s a very hard job to be successful.

Who gives a sht what his salary is. All cbb cfb coaches make an ungodly amount. It is what it is when you are a basketball school that has minimal football history and a horrible recruiting footprint, you have to overpay to keep good coaches bc it’s a very hard job to be successful.
I love when these clowns act like it’s their money. LOL. I suppose if we paid $5 million for a lesser coach they’d be happy.

Better positions coaches...Buffalo, Collins and Yenser should be in high school programs...and White is looking like he should join them...

Stoops making bank, should surround himself with the best, not hayseeds without a clue.
Yenser actually accepted a position coach at a high school until the "buddy" system tagged him along as an assistant to the Oline coach at San Fran. Never without a job once you hook on in college sports.
Mizzu best game was a loss at LSU.
If you are giving top 10 pay it's realistic to expect at least top 25 results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT