ADVERTISEMENT

So, my kid wants a dog.....

wildcatwelder

All-American
Jul 28, 2006
His dog, 14 years of age, died a few months back. ( The dog was 3 when my son was born)

I want him to have another one, but I have a few stipulations this time around:

1. It has to be a small/medium size dog, as it will be a house pet.
2. It must be a short hair, as I refuse to have dog hair all over the place.
3. We want a dog with a good disposition, perhaps a breed known to be friendly?

We're going to our local shelter first to see if we can adopt a dog to our liking there first, but if not I'm open to looking to purchase the right dog as long as it's not expensive.

Growing up, my parents were not pet people, so we never had a pet, inside or out. I'm just looking for a little advise in the event we can't find what we're looking for, maybe someone knows where a friend has some pups, or perhaps knows a breeder, that type of thing.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated. WW.

maxresdefault.jpg

Caucasian Shepherd. Perfect dog.

I have a golden doodle, but ours was the runt of the litter and is tiny - only 25lbs. Amazing dog, friendly, smart, doesn't shed. He was very expensive, but they're more popular now and a couple of my wives friends got them for much cheaper. Highly recommend.

I have a golden doodle, but ours was the runt of the litter and is tiny - only 25lbs. Amazing dog, friendly, smart, doesn't shed. He was very expensive, but they're more popular now and a couple of my wives friends got them for much cheaper. Highly recommend.
Those dogs are beautiful. May i ask what you think they may run now?

Thank you.

I think my friends wife got one for 500 about a year ago. It does seem the bigger ones maybe cheaper? But I'm not really sure on that.

I think my friends wife got one for 500 about a year ago. It does seem the bigger ones maybe cheaper? But I'm not really sure on that.
Thanks Ron, much appreciated.

I'm a single dad, and that's more than I can justify spending on a pet, but thank you anyway.

Chihuahua. One with extry buggy eyes, a mean snarl, and a bark that could crack a window.

That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Ha! Ha!
Damn, if that's real and not 'shopped, that is one big MFing dog.

They are real. Baddest dogs on the planet. I had a chow lab cross that could pass for a 100 pound one. They are closer to 200.

All my dogs are big and shed. I like big dogs. I understand why you want what you do.

Thanks Ron, much appreciated.

I'm a single dad, and that's more than I can justify spending on a pet, but thank you anyway.

No problem, but don't quote me on those prices, might be worth a quick search just to make sure, sounds like a breed that might check all the boxes you're looking for.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
German Shepherd is the only breed anyone should consider....smart, loyal, and protective..... I leave my 16 year old daughter home alone with her with no worries. Getting another one as soon as the breeder has puppies available. I love my freaking dog

I have 2 shih tzu-bichon crosses. They are small about 10-15 lbs, don't smell or shed and are extremely friendly. Basically a cat with a dog's personality. I understand the appeal of a big dog but I just don't want the dog smell all over your furniture, clothes, or carpet, the dog slobber that flies everywhere, dog hair all over, cost of all the food, and lastly but mostly the big piles of big dog shit all over my yard.

Let me be the pitbull guy. I've got a pit/boxer mix that is the most well behaved, laid back dog I've ever had. He never barks and wouldn't hurt a fly unless you mess with my daughter.

-beagle. 25 lbs. Still a real dog.

I have two beagles, 13 and 5. Old one came from a shelter at 2 years old, younger one was a "free to a good home" puppy. Great, gentle dogs. They're a little stubburn and food-driven like crazy, but I know they won't attack anyone ever.

I'd highly recommend them to OP, BUT they do shed, smell like a dog, and the possibility of them making a sound loud enough to wake the dead is just one sniff away.

I really don't understand the obsession of how much a dog sheds or how big it is.

It is a dog. It sheds. It shits. It barks. It can smell bad. If untrained it can be an absolute nuisance or even a danger. But it can also be one of life's best companions and a complete joy.

You either want a dog or you don't. Owning a dog is an obligation and there is a pain in the ass involved.

Shedding should be fairly low on the priority list, imo. More important is finding a dog whose personality fits your lifestyle.

I have had very good luck with Humane Society dogs... But... just because a dog has short hair doesn't mean shedding wont be an issue... It will shed short hair;).... Dogs that shed little or not at all, come at a price... Let son help with selection. A few trips to the shelter and one will speak to the both of you... That's the one you take and you won't care if it sheds anyway..... It's what dogs do...

Reactions: Hankshaker

He asked for a dog...not a genetic freak. Not the creature's fault, though...stupid people who did this.

Reactions: Mashburned
Have an awesome pound dog. They called her a shepherd mix but she is lab/pit. One bit of advice a dog expert friend gave us is to pick a pup that is at least pretty ok with being cradled on its back. Sounds simplistic but it worked for us.

One bit of advice a dog expert friend gave us is to pick a pup that is at least pretty ok with being cradled on its back. Sounds simplistic but it worked for us.

Interesting. Do you know why?

My assumption would be something along the lines of that shows that the dog is more likely to be submissive and follow directions, but that is only an assumption.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
He asked for a dog...not a genetic freak. Not the creature's fault, though...stupid people who did this.

Feel free to name a dog or STFU.

Hank, yes you're correct about the submissive thing, that's exactly why, especially if they're going to be around children.

Reactions: Hankshaker
I will seriously start murdering people if they keep talking shit about my dog, don't test me mash. You stick with your pound pit bull and I'll stick with my dog that's the best parts of a golden retriever and poodle.

Not to mention inbred means the same breed dumbass.

-etymologically speaking there may by an argument(albeit a weak one) that inbred means from the same breed.

-in mammals particularly dogs, moslems, the aristocracy of England and Vanderbilt/DuPont/Rockefeller types in the US it means you have been breeding with close relatives.

I have owned a bunch of different breeds of dogs. I would say that a springer spaniel might fit your list of traits. They are medium sized (40 lbs female 50 lbs male averages), very friendly, love to play and are pretty good watch dogs. Shedding is average but they do have to be groomed now and then as their coat can get long. If you are so inclined, they are also great bird dogs. They are working dogs so they need to be exercised daily.

riley_ssm.JPG

IMG_3341.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't understand the obsession of how much a dog sheds or how big it is.

It is a dog. It sheds. It shits. It barks. It can smell bad. If untrained it can be an absolute nuisance or even a danger. But it can also be one of life's best companions and a complete joy.

You either want a dog or you don't. Owning a dog is an obligation and there is a pain in the ass involved.

Shedding should be fairly low on the priority list, imo. More important is finding a dog whose personality fits your lifestyle.
This is the most important thing. I went looking for a medium sized dog that didn't shed and wasn't hyper. I ended up taking home a border collie/lab mix. He has a great personality, doesn't bark, is calm, gentle with kids. He sheds & sometimes he stinks. I've had several people say that they wish they could find a dog like him (including our vet). I'm convinced that if the personality is right, everything else will fall into place.

My current dog is a border terrier/mix rescue biter. If I was a responsible pet owner, he'd be dead. Coulda took him back but my kennel has 6ft fencing. Had a great pit bull, blue heelers, a jack Russell and a basenji over the years. Welder, don't forget that anyone can underestimate the growth potential of a mixed mystery pup. And all your homework and searching won't matter if family members fall for the first one they see. Good luck. I love dogs.

My recommendation would be to research rescue groups online in your area. You can view the dogs and read about them online and they will usually have a day where the rescue group takes their dogs to a local Pets Mart (or someplace similar) so people can meet them and get a feel for how they may fit in with your family.

The advantage of a rescue group is you are helping ease the terrible overpopulation in shelters, you get a dog that is spayed/neutered, has all it's shots, has a microchip and has been in foster care in someone's home so you know their personality/temperament etc. You will typically have a two-week foster-to-adopt trial to see if the dog is the right fit. If it doesn't work out, the dog goes back to the foster family with no obligation to yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT