ADVERTISEMENT

So, a Top 30 Class, and NO Instate Commits . . . .

Tempest in a teapot here. A lot of people, including you, are missing the key points. Mark Stoops offered 4 scholarships to Kentuckians in the 2018 recruiting class. According to reports, Stoops has already offered 9 instate prospects in the 2019 class. These kids can choose to go to school wherever they want. If they don't choose UK, that doesn't mean UK's coaches aren't prioritizing them. In fact, Stoops has publicly said he is. Since Stoops has been here, he has signed Jason Hatcher, Drew Barker, Adrian Middleton, Matt Elam, Eli Brown, Kash Daniel, Landon Young, Drake Jackson out of Kentucky. All 8 homegrown Wildcats were 4 or 5 star prospects according to some websites. UL has a nationally ranked program. According to Rivals, 6 Cardinals are scholarship players from Kentucky. That's fewer than UK has, despite the fact that UL represents our state's largest city. UL signed no Kentuckians in 2015 and only 1 Kentuckian in 2017. Where was your concern then?

I'm not sure what your point is, if you have one.
My point is that UK doesn't consistently (or even ANY YEAR) have the home state talent that ANY other SEC state has, and it isn't even in the same ballpark in most cases, out of sight in others. And in your list of the eight four and five stars (Middleton wasn't one) I would say only the last four have any chance to live up to expectations, so what does that say? We average less than ONE four star a year from in state that is a real star, how many does Georgia average? And stat wise, how do we even compare to Thug U's state, not noted for their abundance of in state talent?

UL doesn't recruit well in Kentucky because they recognize that we don't have a lot of talent in state, their BIG class with ALL of the FIVE four stars from Miami AND more than half the class from Florida in the cheater's big NROTY had a kicker and maybe another recruit from their city. But even then they have an advantage because in most years a lot of the talent comes from their city. Not a lot of recruits would commit to a school a thousand miles from home when their poor beloved mother could have driven across town to see them play, and without taking even a visit before committing either--------but then the poor thing didn't seem to have any problem flying all over the US to watch him play.

Who said Stoops doesn't prioritize Kentucky in recruiting, only Slugger and a few trolls say he is that dumb. And my concern in 15 and 17 was the same place it is now, UK and Stoops is at a huge disadvantage in recruiting because of our (lack of) in state talent in most years. And if we have a bumper class next year I expect Stoops to take advantage of it.

He may even have to pull Marrow out of Ohio on occasion, lol.

Last edited:
The class ranking is impressive, especially when you consider the fact we had no 4 or 5 star talent in state that inked with us.

Frequently, we have had a home state stud or two, to add to our 4/5 star total.

Perhaps we land a few next year.
I see that and note that we are still 11th in the SEC so how many SEC teams are we moving past in talent?

I'm not sure what your point is, if you have one.
My point is that UK doesn't consistently (or even ANY YEAR) have the home state talent that ANY other SEC state has, and it isn't even in the same ballpark in most cases, out of sight in others. And in your list of the eight four and five stars (Middleton wasn't one) I would say only the last four have any chance to live up to expectations, so what does that say? We average less than ONE four star a year from in state that is a real star, how many does Georgia average? And stat wise, how do we even compare to Thug U's state, not noted for their abundance of in state talent?

UL doesn't recruit well in Kentucky because they recognize that we don't have a lot of talent in state, their BIG class with ALL of the FIVE four stars from Miami AND more than half the class from Florida in the cheater's big NROTY had a kicker and maybe another recruit from their city. But even then they have an advantage because in most years a lot of the talent comes from their city. Not a lot of recruits would commit to a school a thousand miles from home when their poor beloved mother could have driven across town to see them play, and without taking even a visit before committing either--------but then the poor thing didn't seem to have any problem flying all over the US to watch him play.

Who said Stoops doesn't prioritize Kentucky in recruiting, only Slugger and a few trolls say he is that dumb. And my concern in 15 and 17 was the same place it is now, UK and Stoops is at a huge disadvantage in recruiting because of our (lack of) in state talent in most years. And if we have a bumper class next year I expect Stoops to take advantage of it.

He may even have to pull Marrow out of Ohio on occasion, lol.
That's disingenuous. If you understand English, you know exactly what my point is. In UK's case, you are vastly overstating the importance of instate recruiting.

The OP can speak for himself, but I read his post as saying it is impressive recruiting by this staff to convince 20+ players to sign without having the benefit of homegrown talent.

By comparison, I'd encourage you to look at Miss St. They have 14 recruits from Mississippi. In addition, exactly 2 guys that are not from Miss, Alabama, or LA, and 1 of those 2 is from Memphis.

Again, to me it's impressive that this coaching staff has made such good inroads to Ohio and South FL.
Deep south..SEC hotbed....kentucky not south/not north...tweener

It shows that our coaches have had to work harder, and travel farther than most others to have had a quality class w/o locals boosting the rankings, as did Kash Daniels, Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Drew Barker, Jason Hatcher and even big Matt Elam.
A very valid point, although not unique. Same thing is being done successfully to varying degrees by Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame Iowa, West Virginia. Even within the SEC, Tennessee, Missouri, and the 2 Mississippi schools are more or less in the same boat. Actually, this is where Stoops, Gran, and Marrow have pushed the envelope at UK.

WOW.

Kentucky is the only Top 30 [Rivals] Class in the nation w/o an in state signee . . . . it took me 20 minutes to actually check that.

Close calls . . . . Nebraska and Notre Dame only had one in state signee, apiece, and Bama had two, and South Carolina 3.

Louisville, just outside the top 30, at 33rd, had none.

In the Top 50 classes only two had no in state signees . . . . Kentucky and Louisville . . . . and if that's not a clear indictment of the '18 HS talent in Kentucky, I don't know what is.
Talent may well be down, but there may be reasons why good kids are not interested in Louisville or Kentucky. Maybe they don't care for the staffs ?? Hopefully, 2019 will be different and we'll get the cream.

Talent may well be down, but there may be reasons why good kids are not interested in Louisville or Kentucky. Maybe they don't care for the staffs ??
Come on. Stoops is under contract for the next 5 years. He is building a great staff, and 2018 will be his best team yet. If you aren't a fan of Stoops, you will have to learn to live with it.

Three players from one smaller Ky high school recently saw concurrent playing time, Forrest, Harmon and kicker Miles Butler from Paducah Tilghman. AFAIK - Butler was on an academic scholarship. Neither Forrest nor Harmon was heavily recruited out of high school. Tilghman has sent a lot of players to UK over the years. Several had significant stats. Hoptown has sent a bunch too. Always have been a believer in inking one in state kid every year unless you're just burning a scolly to do so

Three players from one smaller Ky high school recently saw concurrent playing time, Forrest, Harmon and kicker Miles Butler from Paducah Tilghman. AFAIK - Butler was on an academic scholarship. Neither Forrest nor Harmon was heavily recruited out of high school. Tilghman has sent a lot of players to UK over the years. Several had significant stats. Hoptown has sent a bunch too. Always have been a believer in inking one in state kid every year unless you're just burning a scolly to do so
This subject is being overthought. Since he has been here, Stoops has signed 14 Kentucky high school football players to scholarships. In the 2018 class, Stoops offered scholarships to 5 Kentuckians. He has already offered at least 9 Kentuckians in the 2019 class. He can't force them to sign.

A very valid point, although not unique. Same thing is being done successfully to varying degrees by Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame Iowa, West Virginia. Even within the SEC, Tennessee, Missouri, and the 2 Mississippi schools are more or less in the same boat. Actually, this is where Stoops, Gran, and Marrow have pushed the envelope at UK.

You totally lose me when you say the 2 Mississippi schools are even REMOTELY in the same boat as UK regarding in-state talent.

I don't know that I'd really consider Clemson at the same level either. Since 2013, Clemson has signed between 5-6 players that are 3 and 2-3 that are 4 star. In addition, USC has signed about the same during that same time frame.

Are you really going to argue the state of KY produces about 5 players that are 4/5 star and 10 players that are 3 star each year?

Reactions: RV2
You totally lose me when you say the 2 Mississippi schools are even REMOTELY in the same boat as UK regarding in-state talent.

Yes. No Mississippi School can legitimately be on that list. They produce a good bit of SEC/NFL talent in Mississippi, and quite a few stay home each year.

11th in the SEC so how many SEC teams are we moving past in talent?

It depends.

In 2014, South Carolina was a spot or two ahead of our greatest star ranked recruiting class, ever, but 5 of their signees never made it to campus . . . . and that would have knocked their recruiting class down likely 15 notches . . . . and we have a 4 year winning streak against them.

The last two recruiting classes, Stoops and Co. have had a 100 percent rate of getting them to campus and enrolled.

Ask again in August/September, and we might find we are "moving past" the 4 ranked below us, and 3 or 4 more just ahead of us who took greater risks taking verbals from players with little chance to actually make it to campus.

Reactions: jauk11
Wellllllll.....Kentucky simply does not have the number of bodies in it to become a recruiting hotbed, and sixty years of mostly losing football in a spectacular fashion doesn't give our few really legit five star and four star kids much 'ooooomph' to want to stay around. Part of some of these kids dream is to flat get outta here.
It kinda surprised me as well when folks spend months talking about a coach like Brohm being the next big thing being surprised when over half the players eligible to play D-1 ball sign with him in a next door state.
Might lend some credence to the idea that continual coach bashing on these boards and social media DOES bleed through and have an effect on recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT