ADVERTISEMENT

Sneaky good hire by UK…

Friedas_Boss

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Hello Fam.

I’m thinking Mark Pope will be a very good hire. He didn’t build a winner at BYU on accident, he did it because he can coach. Dude is passionate about UK hoops and the program practically recruits itself.

I am thinking y’all are going to really enjoy watching a very well coached team on both ends of the floor and the results that follow.

Don’t be surprised to see the Cats win another Natty under Pope.

Hello Fam.

I’m thinking Mark Pope will be a very good hire. He didn’t build a winner at BYU on accident, he did it because he can coach. Dude is passionate about UK hoops and the program practically recruits itself.

I am thinking y’all are going to really enjoy watching a very well coached team on both ends of the floor and the results that follow.

I hope you are right.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
The problem is we don’t need to make “sneaky” good hires when we could have just skipped the sneaky part and went straight to good, or at least proven.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up doing well with Pope but I’d be equally unsurprised if we bombed out. That’s just insane when we could have had Billy D or Pearl, which would have been more 80/20 chance of high success as opposed to the 50/50 we’re rolling with with Pope. Just an awful risk for no apparent reason other than we have a shitty AD who is shellshocked from Cal teabagging him for years.

Hello Fam.

The previous coach actually had more success and a higher winning percentage than Pope. He didn't build anything at BYU. Hope he does good, but we passed up more successful candidates than Pope.

Reactions: UK90
He didn't build anything. The guy at BYU before him had as much if not more success. He at least won some tournament games.

Reactions: GoCats53
I think so too. Don’t listen to all the temper tantrums. We must have a large percentage of teenagers on this board or folks with absolutely no life.
Check opposing fanbase opinions big dawg. Absolutely no one is intimidated by this hire. That should be a pretty big clue

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
The problem is we don’t need to make “sneaky” good hires when we could have just skipped the sneaky part and went straight to good, or at least proven.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up doing well with Pope but I’d be equally unsurprised if we bombed out. That’s just insane when we could have had Billy D or Pearl, which would have been more 80/20 chance of high success as opposed to the 50/50 we’re rolling with with Pope. Just an awful risk for no apparent reason other than we have a shitty AD who is shellshocked from Cal teabagging him for years.

Or we get the washed up version of Donovan, or he says no. Pearl has won hardly nothing. People keep saying "at Tennessee and Auburn" those are two of the most rabid fan bases in the country. Pearl is GROSSLY overrated.

I think so too. Don’t listen to all the temper tantrums. We must have a large percentage of teenagers on this board or folks with absolutely no life.
That's not a temper tantrum, just facts. BYU was already winning before Pope got there. The Drew guy did build a program, but Pope inherited a winner.

Reactions: HeismaNole

I stopped reading at “Pearl”.

Hello Fam.

He did NOT “build” a winner. Instead, BYU already had a consistently winning program before he got there. In fact, Pope actually did WORSE at BYU than his predecessor:

Dave Rose 348-133, 72.3% winning percentage and 5 tourney wins at BYU

Mark Pope 110-52, 67.9 % winning percentage and 0 tourney wins at BYU.

You mean like we did with Cal. He bombed out too the last 4 or 5 years.

Who was proven that you wanted?

Reactions: KFuqua
Check opposing fanbase opinions big dawg. Absolutely no one is intimidated by this hire. That should be a pretty big clue
Most fans know nothing about Pope. I could care less what others think “big dawg”. This isn’t a popularity contest. Results are what matter, and he hasn’t coached one game yet.

He did NOT “build” a winner. Instead, BYU already had a consistently winning program before he got there. In fact, Pope actually did WORSE at BYU than his predecessor:

Dave Rose 348-133, 72.3% winning percentage and 5 tourney wins at BYU

Mark Pope 110-52, 67.9 % winning percentage and 0 tourney wins at BYU.
Rose was also there 3 times longer than Pope. Give Pope 10 more years there and maybe he bests those 5 tourney wins. Roses last 5-6 years were no better than Popes.

I'm guessing the same people who cried about our offense(this year not withstanding) in the past, don't even know a lick about Pope's offense. It's a fun offense to watch, great passing and lots of 3pt shooting. It's not the sexy hire but as a UK fan I'm gonna wait and see what happens. Obviously the top guys turned us down.

I'm guessing the same people who cried about our offense(this year not withstanding) in the past, don't even know a lick about Pope's offense. It's a fun offense to watch, great passing and lots of 3pt shooting. It's not the sexy hire but as a UK fan I'm gonna wait and see what happens. Obviously the top guys turned us down.
Oh man some common sense and maturity, you don't see a lot of that around here.

Billy Donovan
Bruce Pearl
Chris Beard

All 3 have final four experience and multiple deep runs and the last two would kill to be here.
Donovan has been out of the college game for 9 years, and publicly expressed he wasn't interested.

Pearl is definitely proven. He's proved that he can get himself banned from the sport and leave you without a coach.

Beard has trouble with alcohol and can't keep his own home affairs in order. The program doesn't need that drama.

Hello Fam.

Totally befuddled by this hire and the $ being discussed. I will, however, support Pope and the Cats as always. One issue with your post, though. This program does not 'practically recruit itself." Maybe for ky kids, but not necessarily nationally. Those of us old enough to remember, there have been some very lean recruiting years in the not so distant past.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
The previous coach actually had more success and a higher winning percentage than Pope. He didn't build anything at BYU. Hope he does good, but we passed up more successful candidates than Pope.
I think that’s the problem, you say better candidates were passed up, but reality is those better candidates “turned down” the job. Pope may have been the best willing to say yes. What a dumpster fire for Barney.

Hello Fam.

Exactly and like I said he wants to be here. The others wanted money not UK.

Rose was also there 3 times longer than Pope. Give Pope 10 more years there and maybe he bests those 5 tourney wins.
Maybe. We’ll never know.

I was just talking about the facts we do know. I’ve now heard a few people suggest that Pope turned BYU into a winning program. Well, that’s just not true. It already was one. In fact, Pope’s time there was actually a step backwards from how the guy before him had done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT