ADVERTISEMENT

SmokeyPearl/Boilermax

I remember he had a connection to women's basketball, like maybe a daughter that played

and IIRC, he mentioned on multiple occasions have a golf outing with Tubby - but I could be mixing him up with someone else.

heavily protected by Mods but after awhile they got tired on his nonsense too

I remember he had a connection to women's basketball, like maybe a daughter that played

and IIRC, he mentioned on multiple occasions have a golf outing with Tubby - but I could be mixing him up with someone else.

He was Natalie Williams’ step father.

Reactions: treyforuk
Or is? Was at the time. I don’t know if he’s still alive or if he’s still married to her mother if he is.

That was his connection to Tubby.

Natalie played in the 2000 Olympics.
Tubby was an assistant coach for the men’s team.

They struck up a friendship. SP was never a Ky fan. He was a Tubby fan.

Or is? Was at the time. I don’t know if he’s still alive or if he’s still married to her mother if he is.

Wasn't he a Purdue fan?

He pretended to be a UK fan. Me and many others called him out on that. He also had some weird stalker-ish thing going on with Erik Daniels and his family.

I'm fairly certain he was the reason I was banned back in the day

that wasn't unusual back then, Tubby was a super friendly guy, always out in the community and the people that were just mad dog foaming at the mouth about it usually didn't defend him from a basketball perspective, they did it because they interacted with him - a charity event, a speaking engagement, he sold their momma a used car, he neutered their cat, bought girl scout cookies, changed their tire on the side of the interstate, whatever - and those people would just go on attack mode and wouldn't hesitate to tell mods to shut you down if went back at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
that wasn't unusual back then, Tubby was a super friendly guy, always out in the community and the people that were just mad dog foaming at the mouth about it usually didn't defend him from a basketball perspective, they did it because they interacted with him - a charity event, a speaking engagement, he sold their momma a used car, he neutered their cat, bought girl scout cookies, changed their tire on the side of the interstate, whatever - and those people would just go on attack mode back then, and wouldn't hesitate to tell mods to shut you down if went back at them.
I was at a fund raising dinner (boyscouts I believe) at Maker's Mark that featured Tubby right after ul had hired Pitino. Bill Samuels was sitting between Tubby and a priest, and when he gave his speech (basically giving us the scoop on the final meeting that brought pitino to UL) he said g--damn so many times that I couldn't decide whether to be embarassed for the priest or mad at Samuels for his self-proclaimed role in the rick hire. My other memory of the night was having to supply Tubby w/ the name of one of the players on roster (I believe it was Stone) as he talked about the upcoming season.

I remember him too and that was a long time ago now, it seems. Don't miss him at all. Lots of old posters from the early days of the boards, this one and previous boards, that have disappeared and never to be heard from on here again. I still laugh about the late night posts of TCCAT and the runs to Taco Bell. I've seen that Greg Hoover is active somewhere else but can't remember where I saw his name now.

Reactions: treyforuk
I actually met him once. A group of dudes from this board met up at a pizza joint in Alexandria (northern Kentucky) on a Saturday afternoon. At least a dozen of us. I think it was UKfanincincy that set it up. Upon arriving SmokyPearl would introduce himself and he handed out his business card. Seemed a tad odd for a social gathering.

Anyways…that was probably 15+ years ago. No idea what ever happened to him.

I actually met him once. A group of dudes from this board met up at a pizza joint in Alexandria (northern Kentucky) on a Saturday afternoon. At least a dozen of us. I think it was UKfanincincy that set it up. Upon arriving SmokyPearl would introduce himself and he handed out his business card. Seemed a tad odd for a social gathering.

Anyways…that was probably 15+ years ago. No idea what ever happened to him.
...where the legendary pic of him was taken with pizza sauce or something all around his mouth.

Ft. Wright Pizza Hut.

Another mid season gem of a thread. Lol we suck so bad people are making Larry bird and Smokey pearl threads. Would be nice to have a team we felt like could win n match discussing what we need to get a 1 seed

Reactions: RunninRichie
When I first started posting on the old board, he was posting regularly and I often enjoyed his posts. He was very knowledgeable of UK sports. But he had a change of attitude after he began to have run-ins with UK fans who challenged him on some things. That's when his screen name changed to BoilerMax. When it was publicly confirmed (which wasn't very difficult since the 2 accounts had the exact same m.o.) that they were the same person, his attitude seemed even worse. He was dogging UK fans on other forums (including UofL sites) and started to be very angry and hateful toward UK and any UK poster. Strange dude.

When I first started posting on the old board, he was posting regularly and I often enjoyed his posts. He was very knowledgeable of UK sports. But he had a change of attitude after he began to have run-ins with UK fans who challenged him on some things. That's when his screen name changed to BoilerMax. When it was publicly confirmed (which wasn't very difficult since the 2 accounts had the exact same m.o.) that they were the same person, his attitude seemed even worse. He was dogging UK fans on other forums (including UofL sites) and started to be very angry and hateful toward UK and any UK poster. Strange dude.
Yeah, he went loco on this board.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
He hijacked the Cincinnati Bearcats board and completely spammed it with a bunch of Delta Airlines stuff. I think he and that CatInTheFort dude would meet around Chicago for dinner.

Both were pretty sizable guys. If they were a pound they were 800 lbs combined. I’ll put it this way,?if they both stepped on a crowded elevator, it would immediately be considered a “murder-suicide”

SmokeyPearl. There’s a blast from the past. Last interaction I remember with him was when he stated, “if you weren’t happy with Tubby, then you were a racist or a Pitino nut hugger”. To him there was no in between. Anybody recall that one?

What about that Pepsi dude with the LeBron James fetish? If I'm remembering correctly. I also recall ReleasetheSquirms or whatever the screen name was. Those the same person?

Reactions: yoshukai
And also scammed a bunch of college students by selling fake spring break packages.

OSU Jim was one that got me banned a few times.
OSU Jim. UKJim26. His paying membership was the only thing keeping him on the site —until the mods zapped him. I don’t know if any other paying subscribers have been banned.

I remember him too and that was a long time ago now, it seems. Don't miss him at all. Lots of old posters from the early days of the boards, this one and previous boards, that have disappeared and never to be heard from on here again. I still laugh about the late night posts of TCCAT and the runs to Taco Bell. I've seen that Greg Hoover is active somewhere else but can't remember where I saw his name now.
What about cats2000?

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT