ADVERTISEMENT

Small Jalen Duran Update

All the talk about how Kofi effects Oscar's playing time is a moot point. Cal won't play them at the same time.
With both guys playing so physical they'll get fouls called, especially at UK. Having the two of them just allows us to always have a demanding presence down low.

Never did understand the Memphis draw here. I understood wiseman. He felt a personal tie to penny. But what has penny proved with skilled bigs to show that he can get you where you need to be. I don't get it.
I understood it before, Memphis was paying players. Now that everyone can pay players I really don't understand going to Memphis. They haven't show they can win with great players or even make them look like great players.

Reactions: jgraf_1
I just don’t understand it. What happened to the best wanting to play with the best and against the best to be the best?
That's the thing I don't get. These guys want to go where they get all the minutes and shots, but when they do get to the NBA, they will be splitting minutes and sharing the ball or they won't be there long.
Playing with better players makes you look better plus it prepares you to be a good teammate imo.

Reactions: westerncat
Kofi is better for us winning, Duren would be better for recruiting momentum.

Duren wants to play a fair amount of time on the perimeter and be a point forward, I’m sure Wenyen Gabriel has DM’d him and told him that’s not going to happen at UK.

I don’t get the sense that Duren cares much about college, his focus is on being the best player he can be and having as long and lucrative of an NBA Career as possible.

I really don’t think money is a big issue for his recruitment, he’d make bank being the one and only star on Kentucky’s team, but Penny is probably trying to sell him that because Penny was 6’9” and could dribble, he could teach Duren how to do the same, which is mostly a load of bull, Penny doesn’t have a monopoly on being able to teach someone how to dribble.

Cal going after him with the NIL angle was probably the wrong angle, should have said look how many big men we have in the NBA, look how many developed into point forward/center, how many point forwards does Penny have in the NBA ?

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
Kofi is better for us winning, Duren would be better for recruiting momentum.

Duren wants to play a fair amount of time on the perimeter and be a point forward, I’m sure Wenyen Gabriel has DM’d him and told him that’s not going to happen at UK.

I don’t get the sense that Duren cares much about college, his focus is on being the best player he can be and having as long and lucrative of an NBA Career as possible.

I really don’t think money is a big issue for his recruitment, he’d make bank being the one and only star on Kentucky’s team, but Penny is probably trying to sell him that because Penny was 6’9” and could dribble, he could teach Duren how to do the same, which is mostly a load of bull, Penny doesn’t have a monopoly on being able to teach someone how to dribble.

Cal going after him with the NIL angle was probably the wrong angle, should have said look how many big men we have in the NBA, look how many developed into point forward/center, how many point forwards does Penny have in the NBA ?
I bet the kid knows this and I bet Cal and the staff made it a point to let him know about this.

Reactions: true blue1
Either option are great for Kentucky. The key at this juncture is make sure you land 1 of them.

Duren's an outstanding offensive player and specimen. He's not a Point forward. He's a building block 4/5 who is 6'10 250 and agile/athletic. He's a lot like Amare Stoudemire was-another guy Cal signed at one point but ended up going Pro instead of playing for him.

The thing is when you can dominate a game without scoring and competition was a tune up for Team Final who is 22-1 going into Peach Jam which starts with EYBL play tomorrow and ends on the 25th of month, no reason to force something. The margin they were winning by didn't require him to put up numbers either.

The thing I'm laughing about regarding Memphis is hyping themselves as a Pro program. Yes you added John Calipari's mentor in Larry Brown at 80 and with Larry's genius comes his propensity to be a moody, brooding a-hole who will either quit on you or far more annoying threaten to quit multiple times, fall in/out of approval with players and is basically a guy who needs to be told he's loved and great each time you interact with him.

At some point the talk/hype has to end with results. At this point the Penny tenure has been a complete bust and nightmare. They were talking up the NBA angle with Mike Miller and Sam Mitchell and both left quick enough it resembled a Larry Brown tenure--only Larry will beat them to punch in all likelihood due to whatever it is he will find wrong about his job/environment with the program.

This is a guy who, until a month ago, was believed to be heading to the G League. A huge majority of the guys of his caliber are focused solely on this as a career move.

Coming to Kentucky and splitting minutes with 4-5 other guys at his positions and with perimeter guys who are also likely to average double figures means a whole lot less room to showcase yourself.

Whether it's Simmons or Trae or Cade or Fultz, there's a clear blueprint for going somewhere with solid teammates but where you're clearly the focal point.

However far you take them is your brilliance. Wherever you fall short is because your teammates aren't as good as you. It's all the upside without any responsibility.

And it's not like Memphis is barren. You add a guy like Duren and they'll be okay. We saw it with Cade and Mobley this year.

I also think there's an element of thinking they're good enough to lead a team to a title.
I was going to respond with a similar point, but I think you made it better than I could.

However, I would point out a counter-point here. You look at the examples of players that went to lesser programs and shined. Simmons, Trae, Cade, and Fultz. Simmons and Fultz have struggled to varying degrees. I think a large part of that was not learning to compete with similarly talented players. Every player thinks they're going to be the Trae Young and not the Fultz.... or the Malik Newman.

Either option are great for Kentucky. The key at this juncture is make sure you land 1 of them.

Duren's an outstanding offensive player and specimen. He's not a Point forward. He's a building block 4/5 who is 6'10 250 and agile/athletic. He's a lot like Amare Stoudemire was-another guy Cal signed at one point but ended up going Pro instead of playing for him.

The thing is when you can dominate a game without scoring and competition was a tune up for Team Final who is 22-1 going into Peach Jam which starts with EYBL play tomorrow and ends on the 25th of month, no reason to force something. The margin they were winning by didn't require him to put up numbers either.

The thing I'm laughing about regarding Memphis is hyping themselves as a Pro program. Yes you added John Calipari's mentor in Larry Brown at 80 and with Larry's genius comes his propensity to be a moody, brooding a-hole who will either quit on you or far more annoying threaten to quit multiple times, fall in/out of approval with players and is basically a guy who needs to be told he's loved and great each time you interact with him.

At some point the talk/hype has to end with results. At this point the Penny tenure has been a complete bust and nightmare. They were talking up the NBA angle with Mike Miller and Sam Mitchell and both left quick enough it resembled a Larry Brown tenure--only Larry will beat them to punch in all likelihood due to whatever it is he will find wrong about his job/environment with the program.
Exactly.

How did the NBA development work for Wiseman?

I guess Penny is so good at that, that Wiseman didn’t even need to finish the season to get NBA ready. LOL!

All the talk about how Kofi effects Oscar's playing time is a moot point. Cal won't play them at the same time.
With both guys playing so physical they'll get fouls called, especially at UK. Having the two of them just allows us to always have a demanding presence down low.
With Orton getting drafted in the first round in 2010 hole splitting time with Cousins can only help. Cal can show both big men how it can work

With Orton getting drafted in the first round in 2010 hole splitting time with Cousins can only help. Cal can show both big men how it can work
Yeah, I think Orton only averaged like 15 minutes a game that year and still got drafted first round despite a bum wheel.

Reactions: jace2012
You don’t think Cal pointed that out?

With both guys playing so physical they'll get fouls called, especially at UK. Having the two of them just allows us to always have a demanding presence down low

Never played Cousins and Orton together.

I'd say Memphis is selling him on being used like Precious Achiuwa. They did a great job with him.

Play an NBA style, be the clear best player on a semi-high profile team, for a staff who has lots of NBA ties.

You could do worse. They won't win a title, but I'm glad he isn't choosing a place where his presence might make that a reality.
Did you read who was there front and center to help recruit Jalen? I told you Brown was going to be an important figure in recruiting for Memphis.

And yes, he will be at PJ, so you’re wrong about that too.

Brown would have been a hella addition to the staff. I don’t know why Cal wouldn’t go for a guy like that over a guy like Flint. It’s ridiculous and it’s just playing the friend game which, is the part I like least about cal. He just puts too much over his job.

Duren is not coming to Kentucky. I wish people would let this go. Memphis is also probably going to chag Livingston, which we could have had of Cal would have brought Brown on board.

UK should not be losing ground to Memphis. But Cal thinks he’s too big to fail no matter how many times he’s shown otherwise.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Did you read who was there front and center to help recruit Jalen? I told you Brown was going to be an important figure in recruiting for Memphis.

Brown would have been a hella addition to the staff. I don’t know why Cal wouldn’t go for a guy like that over a guy like Flint. It’s ridiculous and it’s just playing the friend game which, is the part I like least about cal. He just puts too much over his job.

Duren is not coming to Kentucky. I wish people would let this go. Memphis is also probably going to chag Livingston, which we could have had of Cal would have brought Brown on board.

UK should not be losing ground to Memphis. But Cal thinks he’s too big to fail no matter how many times he’s shown otherwise.
If I am not mistaken, after Calipari was fired by the Nets, didnt Larry Brown bring him on in Philadelphia until he got hired at Memphis? Cal definitely missed a great opportunity by not bringing him to Lexington. I totally agree with you on that one.

Livingston grew up in KY. Inexcusable to lose him to mempiss

Reactions: Gromcat
Livingston grew up in KY. Inexcusable to lose him to mempiss
He also has a twin brother (Cordell) who is 6’1 and a low major recruit (Detroit Mercy and Tenn St. offers, from what I’ve read).

Wonder if they plan to play together?

I can see Memphis offering both scholarships to get Chris.

Doubt Cal would, but he should. It’s not like he ever uses all 13 scholarships. Maybe make Cordell a preferred walk-on at least?

Reactions: RunninRichie

Brown and Cal are friends also therefore he would still be hiring a friend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT